Other Messenger app other than AIM?

Rufus T. Firefly

20 posts in this topic

Palringo = Free, smooth running

MobileChat3 = not free + Servers getting asshumped.

I pick Palringo.

Servers are not getting asshumped, they've fixed all the problems. Palrgino has no keep-alive connection ability and no push notification system.

I pick MobileChat.

Servers are not getting asshumped, they've fixed all the problems. Palrgino has no keep-alive connection ability and no push notification system.

I pick MobileChat.

The push notification system has not been enabled by apple yet (2.1 firmware), so mobilechat doesn't actually have push notification yet either. They just have it all ready to go when apple finally does turn on "the switch".

if i used mobile chat would it go against my txt messanging?

Nope, actually I believe you can use mobilechat to txt message using your data connection (you can txt without it counting as txting from your carrier).

"Don’t want to waste those text messages on your plan? Just create a new IM and MobileChat will automatically display your contact list so you can send an IM to any mobile phone number. Once the message has been created, you can have a full “SMS like” conversation without using any text messages. Note: This feature only works on AIM networks. (AIM/ICQ/.Mac/MobileMe)"

So i don't think it uses ones data/internet plan

Palringo = Free, smooth running

MobileChat3 = not free + Servers getting asshumped.

I pick Palringo.

"How Does Palringo Connect? Palringo connects over the internet and will not work through a proxy. If you are using Palringo on a mobile phone then it will only use the phones data connection, whether that be WiFi, GPRS or 3G (not WAP) for example, and does not send/receive any SMS messages."

I pick Palringo

Now if only they'd let it running in the background while you were maybe doing something else it would be the best app

The push notification system has not been enabled by apple yet (2.1 firmware), so mobilechat doesn't actually have push notification yet either. They just have it all ready to go when apple finally does turn on "the switch".

Nope, actually I believe you can use mobilechat to txt message using your data connection (you can txt without it counting as txting from your carrier).

Sorry, try again. MobileChat uses a user-developed push notification system. It doesn't go through the phone, it can either send you a push through text message or email, whichever you use.

And guys, it works fine..jeez..

Sorry, try again. MobileChat uses a user-developed push notification system. It doesn't go through the phone, it can either send you a push through text message or email, whichever you use.

And guys, it works fine..jeez..

Oh, nifty! I just read the section under being push compatible, didn't see the "fake push" method. I've just been using the AIM client, but I might try this instead. Thanks for the explanation berzerker!

• 3 weeks later...
MobileChat really isn't so bad, not anymore.

I hope that by "not bad" you are referring to AIM/.Mac/ICQ and Google Talk support only...

And for the unenlightened, AIM/.Mac/ICQ are all the very same service with separate usernames.

It is lacking *MAJOR* functionality that is prominently advertised about the application.

Sure, their marketed feature list is "on the way", however it is not yet here meaning that all you get right now is offered freely through the official AIM client.

Add to that, an update has been "submitted, awaiting approval" for the past month now, and the "change list" the developers have been providing for that single submitted build that went to Apple keep changing on a regular basis, implying that no updated build has been submitted. When someone brings up these kinds of observations on their blog postings, they are promptly deleted as "confrontational".

Palringo at least supports all of their marketed features, which in my world accounts for a lot.

Personally, I am hoping that Beejive releases their client soon as it is shaping up to gain a commanding position in the marketplace. As well, they have a very good proven reputation in designing well-supported, reliable instant messaging clients as they have already designed several for various mobile platforms.

~Adrian

an update has been "submitted, awaiting approval" for the past month now

Not their fault. Apple's app store is really that retarded. It's been awaiting approval for the past month and they've submitted 2 more updates but those updates can't be considered until Apple approves the current update.

implying that no updated build has been submitted

3 updated builds, majorly updated, stable and well-featured builds have been sent to Apple. This is how retarded the App store is. As I said, none of these builds can even be considered until Apple accepts the first update which was sent almost 2 months ago.

If you don't like it, email apple and {censored} to them, don't {censored} to the developers, because we're working our ass off on it, it's totally Apple's fault for being complete idiots with the App Store.