8800GT-Performance not up to par with real macs.

blkhockeypro19

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem. I've noticed that some simple things that shouldn't be choppy are choppy with this card. For example, going into time machine when the finder is in coverflow view will cause the stars moving in the time machine app and coverflow itself run choppy until I exit. Then it gows back to normal. Also, Dragging an icon onto my dock and moving it around on the dock (making the dock magnify as I drag the semi transparent icon around on it) will cause an ugly lag. I'm pretty sure these things do not happen on real macs with 8800 GT's. I'd appreciate if otgher 8800 GT users-real mac or hackintosh- could post theyre open mark results. When you post it just tell me what driver you use and what motherboard you have. With that said, here are my open mark results-

At 1680x1050x32 with EFI=Strings and the latest 10.5.4 updates installed, I get 20072 as a final score.

I have an intel p965/g965 motherboard and the card is an 8800GT 512 mb PCI-E version. (XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition)

UPDATE!!!!!!

Alright so I used osx86 tools to enable quartz gl. after that i went down to 19500. Then I installed the 10.5.5 kexts and now I'm getting around 27676 or 28035! Still not satisfied though....any help?

Quartz Extreme probably isn't working. Try reinstalling the graphics card stuff (use EFI string instead of an injector).

i already said that I used efi strings, not an injecter, and its been like this since day one so reinstalling wouldnt help. anybody else have any idea?

alwso quarts extreme is working just fine according to system profiler- see attatched image

pic.tiff

If your scores are from OpenGL Extension Viewer I think you are getting pretty good scores. Your card is about 2x as fast as my x1950 pro in Windows tests, and I'm getting 12543 in total. So yep, you are getting REALLY good scores.

About the stars perfomance and all that, I believe that's probably also happening on real macs. Anyway I never tested that, since I don't use Time Machine.

Go to an Apple Store and take a look by yourself...maybe you discover your hackintosh is already working faster than most of the real macs there.

Btw, the dock is a lot more slower and choppier in Leopard than in Tiger. In Tiger works almost or at your refresh rate, in Leopard seems to work about 1/2 or less. That was one of the first things I noticed when I upgraded to Leo.

Edit: I didn't notice you were talking about openmark. In openmark I get 16040 points, so your lastests scores ("27676 or 28035") still look correct to me.

The GTX is slighty faster than the GT in Windows, but still 2x as fast as my 1950 pro. So definetively you shoulnd't be worried about your perfomance. Seems a pretty good result to me.

Tom's Hardware overall FPS:

8800GTX = 2281.80 fps

8800GT OC = 2125.40 fps

x1950 Pro = 1243.80

Btw, I'will probably buy exactly the same card you have, a 8800GT XFX, have you noticed if both video ports works properly? No mouse lag, correct resolution switching, etc?

Thanks.

The GTX is slighty faster than the GT in Windows, but still 2x as fast as my 1950 pro. So definetively you shoulnd't be worried about your perfomance. Seems a pretty good result to me.

Tom's Hardware overall FPS:

8800GTX = 2281.80 fps

8800GT OC = 2125.40 fps

x1950 Pro = 1243.80

Btw, I'will probably buy exactly the same card you have, a 8800GT XFX, have you noticed if both video ports works properly? No mouse lag, correct resolution switching, etc?

Thanks.

everything works correctly, just use the main DVI closest to the mobo for ur main display and use the other for a seconday monitor. everything works, i play guitar hero 3 full settings on it lolz

can anyone run an openmark on a real mac?

8800GT results in a real mac:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p...p;postcount=124

The guy is getting a 21,621 score, so definetively your card is working properly :P

hey thanks for that man, i guess im going to have to go to an apple store eventually at the mall. hmm, well if anyone can find me more 8800 GT openmark results, just post em here. it can be mac pro orhackintosh, i dont care. thanks guys!

ALSO, what about flashing my card. How would I go about doing this and would my scores increase? would it still be recognized in vista hp 32 bit? for some reason i thounght flashing it was only for 6xxx and 7xxx cards but if anyone could tell me how to flash my 8800 GT id apreciate it.

Flashing to what? I doubt your scores can be any higher. Your card already seems to be working properly. Flashing the card would be only useful in case you wanted to overclock.

alright man, thanks guys for everything. i just ran another bench mark and I got 28,768. I wonder if theyll let me run an open mark test on a mac pro. theyll be like wtf is that on the screen XD