what will happen with apple?

9 posts in this topic

I've always been atracted to macs, I've always wanted to buy one... now that mac os merged to x86 ive tried it in my pc... i do love that os.. but something worries me...

will it have any point on buying a mac if now we can install mac os almost as it if was running on a mac?

applications like adobe photoshop, that undoubtly worked better on mac os, with this merge havent converted their code the intel based macs, decreasing significantly their performance...

that worries me, cause, why to buy a mac right now if apps are not running as they should... we'll have to wait for software developers to merge their apps, so i consider is it bad to buy an apple right now?

should we be happy with mac os x performance on pcs?

whats better to buy a powerpc mac right now or an intel based?

and the most difficult, what would you buy a intel based mac, or a very nice pc, or laptop?

please help me with this doubts.. i know its lots of questiosn, but have you ever considered this?

Yeah I agree. Im not exactly sure why Apple bothered releasing the new macs so quickly if the key programs used on a Mac haven't been ported to unibin yet. I read an article from Adobe yesterday, and they are not going to port CS2 but rather start from scratch and make CS3 unibin which wont be released until late 2006/early 2007.

For the average mac user this isn't a huge deal, and this is probably why they only have released the iMac, Mac Mini and Macbook. I dont see any serious developer buying a Mac Pro (or whatever they're going to call the intel PowerMac's) until more of their programs are ported to unibin.. just my opinion

Yeah I agree. Im not exactly sure why Apple bothered releasing the new macs so quickly if the key programs used on a Mac haven't been ported to unibin yet. I read an article from Adobe yesterday, and they are not going to port CS2 but rather start from scratch and make CS3 unibin which wont be released until late 2006/early 2007.

For the average mac user this isn't a huge deal, and this is probably why they only have released the iMac, Mac Mini and Macbook. I dont see any serious developer buying a Mac Pro (or whatever they're going to call the intel PowerMac's) until more of their programs are ported to unibin.. just my opinion

It pretty much depends. If you have a G5 I don't see why you'd upgrade yet. But, even for Photoshop, if you have anything below a 1.25GHz G4, a Core Duo is going to run Photoshop in Rosetta at the same speed. The rest of the OS is going to feel considerably faster, too.

That's the main reason the only Intel computers are the ones that are in models that used to be using a G4. Most stuff is going to be a lot faster, and then the odd Rosetta app is either going to run about the same or slightly slower. (I know someone who has a 1.25 Powerbook and a core duo MBP, this is what I'm basing the Photoshop stuff on).

Speaking a pc technician for a number of years who used mac stuff in the past, but whos main pc has always been a 'pc'.... the Mac OS is just nicer to use. For the average user, it's enjoyable, without having to 'put up with' your computer.

By the end of this year (acording to jobs) there will be no more macs with the IBM PowerPC chips. So whilst some current software will run better on the old machines now, it's a short term gain only.

Pro users who do massive editing tasks etc on photoshop, logic or similar will already have a dual G5 2.5 or so. This will last them until later this year when probably the new "MacPro"'s or whatever will come out, roughly around the date that by then most of these apps are already ported. Some will be best advised to hang onto the G5's a little longer maybe.

Consider that in the audio world, many recording studios hung on to OS9 for a VERY long time, as it worked, and they needed new software, hardware drivers, new plugins to run under OSX. I know of some musicians who are even now still running on OS9. But that's a bit insane these days i think ;)

As for getting a quick PC, consider it, but not if you'd rather be using the mac. A HIGH QUALTIY well built AMD machine will stomp over a high speed intel pc or G5 for things like photoshop at this stage in the game. Running a dodgy version of OSX on this kind of machine though can't be considered anything than a test computer really, you can't just update as new patches become availible etc.

As i'm predicting macs will gain more market share in the years to come, there will be viruses and bugs and you'll need to have a legitmate OS to get the updates easily.

But make up a list of the pros and cons and consider everything well. but personally, i would not purchase a PPC based mac at this point in time. (well, i did purchase a 700mhz eMac for $150 to play with, but that's different :) )

A lot of the existing G5s are in the hands of companies and design shops, and like the musicians to which 'Darwinian Dude' refers, these are the very people who are reluctant to move from a working platform just because there's something newer. Apple strategy may be spot-on. Replacing the G4 with something snappier and leaving the G5 for a while makes a lot of sense.

I'm still staying with my old G3 and it still works fine for me. BTW, does anyone know what kind of processor will be in the Mac Pro? Isn't it supposed to be a quad-core or something?

It´s rumored to be Conroe (Dual core), and they could add Kentsfield (quad core) in the first quarter of 2007

As user of the older PPC and the new intel MAc, along with a strong AMD 64 system, I figured I'd give my imput:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=9877&hl=

Read this review on my shiney new intel core duo imac. if you are going to use your system for a new learneer system and not get too into your mac, id almost suggest a MAC mini or even a used PPC system. But i assure you that your new mac will quickly become your primary system for a number of things (except gaming) in which case id proly reccomend an intel based system, rosetta will only affect you if you use photoshop or similar programs, if you do not use such programs, you dont need to worry about it. Also, consider this, if you buy an intel based MAc now, over the next few months it will seemingly get faster (as if it isnt fast engouh, believe me) as the software bugs and compatability issues get sorted out. It is a lot of money to drop on a new computer especially if you are considering one for the first time, I urge you to take the plung, I did three years ago now and I havent looked back since.