Installing 10.5.4 on the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L

dci693

171 posts in this topic

I bought an EP35 (by mistake) for a backup Hackintosh / TimeMachine server. I used Weaksauce's P35 instructions, 100% working here... sleep, shutdown, reboot - flawless. F5 Bios.

Well...so far it looks like the default guide + F5 BIOS is the best combo for full functionality.

seanmcgpa, can you test IDE on your system? I want to know if that causes any conflicts with the rest of the system, especially on the F5 BIOS. If it's just a BIOS update issue, that would really relieve a lot of the headaches people have been having with the EP35!

QUOTE (yossicl @ Aug 12 2008, 09:20 AM)

Not yet, I will try to [install powerfix from weaksuace12 package], Thanks.

Oh you must do that immediately. The very reason for it is to solve power down issues!

Hi dci693,

CHUD/PowerOff didn't fixed my broken sleep/shutdown but after flashing the bios to F5 finaly it's work.

I also flashed the bios with the following picture using "Gigabyte Face Wizard program"

OSX_640.bmp

Hi dci693,

CHUD/PowerOff didn't fixed my broken sleep/shutdown but after flashing the bios to F5 finaly it's work.

I also flashed the bios with the following picture using "Gigabyte Face Wizard program"

That's really interesting. Seems like F4 is fine for some people and that F5 is required for others. I'm on F4 and have had exactly one kernel panic when shutting down. After I clone my current set up I'm going to try a flash to F5 to see how it goes.

EDIT: {censored}, make that two kernel panics. :) Happened on shut down again today. that flash to F5 might happen sooner rather than later!

That's really interesting. Seems like F4 is fine for some people and that F5 is required for others. I'm on F4 and have had exactly one kernel panic when shutting down. After I clone my current set up I'm going to try a flash to F5 to see how it goes.

EDIT: {censored}, make that two kernel panics. :) Happened on shut down again today. that flash to F5 might happen sooner rather than later!

Did you select "Load Optimized Defaults" after flashing to F5?

Guide is here: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTec...bios_qflash.pdf

Did you select "Load Optimized Defaults" after flashing to F5?

Guide is here: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTec...bios_qflash.pdf

I didn't flash to F5 yet. And I never use that feature anyway. For better or worse, I manually set my BIOS settings exactly to what weaksauce12 has in his guide, except for the overclock settings, of course. My rig is not even overclocked at the moment. I'm running my E2180 at the stock 2.0 Ghz, and the computer surprisingly doesn't seem much slower. What I have not yet done is run a memtest on my new build. I am using new RAM, so there's always a chance I've got a bad stick somewhere.

Weak,

One of my rig with F4 Bios, I did have issues installing Leopard from an IDE DVD burner. I'd get a kernel panic at the tail end of the Leopard install.

F5 - no problems at all.

As you can see (my rig in signature) I'm runing OSX 10.5.4 on IDE since F4 and it's working with no problem.

I didn't flash to F5 yet. And I never use that feature anyway. For better or worse, I manually set my BIOS settings exactly to what weaksauce12 has in his guide, except for the overclock settings, of course. My rig is not even overclocked at the moment. I'm running my E2180 at the stock 2.0 Ghz, and the computer surprisingly doesn't seem much slower. What I have not yet done is run a memtest on my new build. I am using new RAM, so there's always a chance I've got a bad stick somewhere.

If you have some time, take some snapshots of your BIOS screens for me, I'd love to see how they compare (F5 BIOS if you upgrade). Some of the settings are critical, like disabling the Serial/Parallel ports (they cause HUGE OS problems!).

IDE still kind of looks like hit-or-miss...it works...but I suspect some people's problems are linked to IDE. Plus I think certain users who have 4 gigs of RAM in their system are having issues with the updated kexts. Hi-ho, hi-ho, a-bug fixing we go...

If you have some time, take some snapshots of your BIOS screens for me, I'd love to see how they compare (F5 BIOS if you upgrade). Some of the settings are critical, like disabling the Serial/Parallel ports (they cause HUGE OS problems!).

IDE still kind of looks like hit-or-miss...it works...but I suspect some people's problems are linked to IDE. Plus I think certain users who have 4 gigs of RAM in their system are having issues with the updated kexts. Hi-ho, hi-ho, a-bug fixing we go...

I'll try to get it done soon. My serial and parallel ports are definitely disabled. Funny, I remember that 4gb of RAM used to cause big issues with the original AHCI kexts for this board, so I purposefully took 2gb out of my P35 build to leave it with 2gb. However, my EP35 still has 4gb. I did, however, take out all IDE devices from both.

I just updated to F5 bios.

I removed IDE drives and everything seems to be fine. I don't think updating to F5 bios solved my problems because even after updating to F5 bios i still faced problems when running virtual machine, it normally happend when i open an IDE drive, after removing IDE drives no more kernel panic or any issues.

Will continue in this way, if any issues spotted i shall highlight here.

Thanks and regards.

Oh btw i changed my graphics card to ASUS EN8800GTS 320mb. So far all looks good.

I just updated to F5 bios.

I removed IDE drives and everything seems to be fine. I don't think updating to F5 bios solved my problems because even after updating to F5 bios i still faced problems when running virtual machine, it normally happend when i open an IDE drive, after removing IDE drives no more kernel panic or any issues.

Will continue in this way, if any issues spotted i shall highlight here.

Thanks and regards.

Oh btw i changed my graphics card to ASUS EN8800GTS 320mb. So far all looks good.

No issue at all with my friend's rig which include an IDE harddisk, an IDE DVD drive and a SATA harddisk.

Retail DVD install, though

I updated my box to BIOS F5 this morning (love QFlash!). Recognized my FAT32 flash drive with no problem.

My first boot did not look good. The white Apple boot screen took much longer than normal and it never seemed to quite get into the OS. I also had left the flash drive attached, though I don't think that should've caused any issues. I admit I didn't wait too long because I just reset the system and booted it again.

Second boot: took about twice as long as a normal boot under F4 would've taken, but it did get into Leopard. Didn't have a chance to try a 3rd boot.

All my previous BIOS settings were kept after the flash from F4 to F5. I might try resetting the BIOS to defaults and redoing the settings (never a bad idea.)

I just figured out why my EP35-DS3L wasn't waking up from sleep. I'm booting off of a USB external hard drive. (sorry, no SATA drives). Thus, upon wake-up, the status LED on my external hard drive will stay on sleep. Problem... Solved. The beachball of death was caused by the OS locking up because it couldn't wake the HD from sleep. Going out and buying a SATA hard drive. :(

I just figured out why my EP35-DS3L wasn't waking up from sleep. I'm booting off of a USB external hard drive. (sorry, no SATA drives). Thus, upon wake-up, the status LED on my external hard drive will stay on sleep. Problem... Solved. The beachball of death was caused by the OS locking up because it couldn't wake the HD from sleep. Going out and buying a SATA hard drive. :)
That's why you gotta tell us what hardware you're running! :P You mentioned an ODD that was IDE, and I asked you what an ODD was, but didn't get a reply!

I posted this in the other thread as well but I will quote it here.

Great guide weaksauce12, i used it all the way on my GA-EP35 board before noticing that the guide was for the p35 smile.gif.

Only problem i encountered with following your instructions with my board was when i got to section IV. #5, installing various kext.

AppleSMBIOS.kext (System driver, updated for Memory)

AppleAHCIPort.kext (SATA driver #1 of 2)

IOAHCIFamily.kext (SATA driver #2 of 2)

IOBluetoothFamily.kext (Bluetooth driver #1 of 2)

IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext (Bluetooth driver #2 of 2)

It was after installing these kexts with kexthelper that when something went wrong. After a restart It went to the grey apple screen and then it came up with that error symbol (the O with the / in it). I boot with verbose mode and from what i remember it wasn't reading from the HDD, (it was just stuck at something, waiting on root device or something similar).

So i started over and followed the guide without using those kext and i disabled AHCI. When i did this after following your guide everything worked perfectly including my EVGA NVidia 8800GT, Sound, USB, and my PS/2 keyboard (though this one gave me some trouble as i kept forgetting to clear the kext cache) and also my IDE DVDRW works great. Also sleep comes back perfectly with Ethernet still working (even though I'm using on board LAN), also shutdown and restart work flawlessly.

What I am wondering though, is am I missing much by not enableing AHCI (i really have no idea what this is coming from an old computer which only had pata) and not installing AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext (bluetooth is not of concern to me)?

Hardware I'm running:

GA-EP35-DS3L

Intel e8500 core2duo 3.16

One SATA HDD

One IDE HP DVDR/RW w/ Lightscribe

2GB of ram

EVGA NVidia 8800gt

USB Mouse

ps/2 Keyboard

edit after restart ps2 keyboard does not work but does work right after ps2 fix installer, then fails after next restart.

I followedd the guide, but I am not able to reach the "intro" screen. Installation goes fine and then I reboot and remove the Kalyway dvd.  I go to boot from the hard disk and it seems to be working fine until I reach a screen that is like static on a tv but it doesn't move. My guess is because I never installed a video card???

What I did to try and fix this was install my video card with the first install but now I get the same problem I have always had, which is: "You need to restart your computer. Hold ddown the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

Specs are:

4gb corsair ram

Q6600

ep35-ds3l with F5

2x sata seagate hard drives

sata optical drive

I followedd the guide, but I am not able to reach the "intro" screen. Installation goes fine and then I reboot and remove the Kalyway dvd. I go to boot from the hard disk and it seems to be working fine until I reach a screen that is like static on a tv but it doesn't move. My guess is because I never installed a video card???

What I did to try and fix this was install my video card with the first install but now I get the same problem I have always had, which is: "You need to restart your computer. Hold ddown the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

Specs are:

4gb corsair ram

Q6600

ep35-ds3l with F5

2x sata seagate hard drives

sata optical drive

After which step of the install does it fail? You mention a reboot, but after which step? Sounds like it's after the initial install from the 10.5.2 kalyway disk. What video card are you running?

I have gotten 10.5.4 running on a EP35 board--but had to disable AHCI, contrary to the instructions. Will this cause problems down the road? And when I try and run temp monitor, it says it can't find any sensors in my mac pro...

TIA for any tips on either.

After which step of the install does it fail? You mention a reboot, but after which step? Sounds like it's after the initial install from the 10.5.2 kalyway disk. What video card are you running?

sorry haha I have a gigabyte raddeon hd 3870 andd the install goes great and then after the successful install is when it does these things (fuzzy screen/"please reboot" message)

sorry haha I have a gigabyte raddeon hd 3870 andd the install goes great and then after the successful install is when it does these things (fuzzy screen/"please reboot" message)
Is your video card on the HCL? And the whole install works OK until you try to install the video drivers?

Is your video card on the HCL? And the whole install works OK until you try to install the video drivers?

if I follow the guide (which says don't install graphics card) then I get fuzzy screen after successful install.  If I do install the graphics card, which is also a successful install, then it asks me to do the reboot thing constantly, I can never get to the elcome screen.

if I follow the guide (which says don't install graphics card) then I get fuzzy screen after successful install. If I do install the graphics card, which is also a successful install, then it asks me to do the reboot thing constantly, I can never get to the elcome screen.
Did you use natit? That's what's mentioned in the HCL: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2