Atheros AR928x?

age_sabres18

17 posts in this topic

Guest BuildSmart
Trying to get my atheros wifi card working any1 have any ideas? AR928x is my model
This chipset line is currently unsupported in OS X and you don't state which actual one you have.

I'm playing with a proprietary driver now for the AR9281A, it locks up using WPA2 and drops connections when using WEP or WPA but an open AP has no issues and I should have it all worked out in the next couple of days.

What does this mean for you, unfortunately nothing the driver is being built for a company under contract and will not be released publicly but, if someone else makes a public driver I can assist with resolving issues and can even suggest you start with the linux source code as a base.

This chipset line is currently unsupported in OS X and you don't state which actual one you have.

I'm playing with a proprietary driver now for the AR9281A, it locks up using WPA2 and drops connections when using WEP or WPA but an open AP has no issues and I should have it all worked out in the next couple of days.

What does this mean for you, unfortunately nothing the driver is being built for a company under contract and will not be released publicly but, if someone else makes a public driver I can assist with resolving issues and can even suggest you start with the linux source code as a base.

Would like to ask ? Theoratically will this hardware work under leopard as what u have stated?

I'm quite interested at getting the Fujitsu U820/U2010 , it's a small tablet pc running on 1.6Ghz atom processor....

One thing i've noticed that is using the Atheros XSpan AR928X ,had a chance playing with it for a few minutes....

Found the dev id and ven id 168C 002A and i've found that AR5008 and AR928X uses the same vista drivers.

Guest BuildSmart
Would like to ask ? Theoratically will this hardware work under leopard as what u have stated?

I'm quite interested at getting the Fujitsu U820/U2010 , it's a small tablet pc running on 1.6Ghz atom processor....

One thing i've noticed that is using the Atheros XSpan AR928X ,had a chance playing with it for a few minutes....

Found the dev id and ven id 168C 002A and i've found that AR5008 and AR928X uses the same vista drivers.

The U820 uses a hybrid AR5416ab/AR9284a chipset so it might well work if you rebrand to apple subsystem ID's since it is compatible with the closed HAL of the OSX driver but I wouldn't guarantee it works since it requires code to place it in ath5k compatibility mode and this doesn't exist in the OSX driver but the device might default to ath5k compatibility so it's worth a shot.

Thanxs for the reply Buildsmart :(

rebrand to apple subsystem ID's since it is compatible with the closed HAL of the OSX driver

Sorry buildsmart but I dun understand this part, did u meant try putting a dev id and ven id at

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirportAtheros.kext/Contents/Info.plist

If yes , then i would like to take my chance purchasing the notebook....

If not can u show me the correct way if it's not to troublesome......

Thanx and cheers :)

Guest BuildSmart
Thanxs for the reply Buildsmart :censored2:

rebrand to apple subsystem ID's since it is compatible with the closed HAL of the OSX driver

Sorry buildsmart but I dun understand this part, did u meant try putting a dev id and ven id at

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirportAtheros.kext/Contents/Info.plist

If yes , then i would like to take my chance purchasing the notebook....

If not can u show me the correct way if it's not to troublesome......

Thanx and cheers :)

No editing of plists is required in the rebrand process.

From your response I conclude the skills required are above your level of experience so I would suggest you pick different hardware, I don't have time to educate anyone on the process of performing the rebrand and google will provide some generic tutorials about the process but even those will be beyond your abilities because you can't decide what you need to change for your particular card.

• 4 months later...
Guest BuildSmart

Edit the Info.plist and make sure that your cards ID is in the file, if it is then I guess it wont work, if it's not it's worth a shot otherwise, buy an AR5008 card if you want supported wifi.

Guest BuildSmart
Ive edited the info.plist and no luck unfortunately. Will the AR5008 work with the kill switch buttons on Acer machines? I heard there was a problem with that but it was on a broadcom card.
It's called tape and there are a few posts that outline the procedure.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...