Mac randomly turning on?

12 posts in this topic

Over the last couple months my mac has randomly been turning on. You might say it's a shortage in the circuit or something. But I recently moved houses, and it still does it in the new house.

For example, sometimes I'll turn it off at night and when I wake up it will be on. Or If I'm gone for a day or two it is usually on. All this after im 100% positive I've turned it off.

It use to not be that bad. But it happens about 75% of the time now.

Does anyone have any clues to what is causing this and how I can fix it?

call is the only solution. sounds like a hardware problem.....

also dude thats awesome i'd keep it like that. u and ur friends could make bets on when it would turn on.

it would be sweet

Before you worry about hardware, did you check under System Prefs -> Energy Saver -> Schedule? It has options to automagically turn your Mac on at set times. You might have set it, or someone might be playing a prank on you by having it set.

It also happened with my hackintosh: woke up very often at 1am. It's definitely the com.apple.AutoWake.plist. If you ever modified it by triggering an autowake or shutdown, or if you installed EyeTV or other programs that are able to wake up the system this is what is left over if you turn it off:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>WARNING</key>

<string>Do not edit this file by hand. It must remain in sorted-by-date order.</string>

<key>wakepoweron</key>

<array/>

</dict>

</plist>

If you remove the plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration it should be all right.