HP DV Series Whitelist BIOS hack

LRZRAGE

309 posts in this topic

Anybody have a different version than 2.2.0.1 of Phoenix BIOS edit? Seems to be a problem when opening up the F.2B BIOS. Also I was wondering if there was any users out there that use the F.24A bios and have had a bad flash and recovered from it using Crisis Disk recovery.. thanks

Looks like HP has switched to "Insyde" BIOS for their newer model laptops they are producing and are not using Phoenix anymore. ^_^ Hopefully an Insyde BIOS editor will surface and we can open up these new BIOSs.

i have dv5t and i'm now using intel 5100 wifi. many drivers unsupported.

Please post here what your model number is and BIOS version. Trying to figure out what is the most popular model that is having a problem with the whitelist. So far, I have been able to patch the DV6000's F.29 bios and the DV9000's F.58A... These 2 are very easy to patch and with newer revisions of bios that HP will release, I will try and stay on top of those 2 for sure, so those users of those models are getting the latest bios updates. Problems we have ran into is with the F.2B bios for the dv2500 series i believe, Phoenix opens it up incorrectly and causes a RLS error. In the F.24 BIOS, the whitelist has been spotted in the BIOSCOD1.ROM but no STC intruction set right before the whitelist, maybe possibly points to another spot within the bios to do a check?! Anyways, list your dv model number and newest BIOS revision so we can take a look into it. Thank You!!

edit: ALSO... anybody who is familiar with the PHOENIX CRISIS RECOVERY, and who has successfully recovered from a bad flash, and would like to be a tester for your specific bios on your system, please let me know.

hi mokule , if u still didn't give up . i got a good idea to see if the RLS error has any effect on the way the bios is rebuild .

i opened the F.2B bios and rebuild it with the phoenix bios editor without changing anything .the goal is to test whether phoenix bios editor is corrupting the ROM when building it . if this bios brick your laptop that means that the error does have effact on rebuilding the ROM . if it doesn't and everything goes with no problem it means that the pheonix bios editer is building the ROM currectly and all we need to do is to find the right thing to change. so i'm uploading this ROM which i changed nothing inside it only rebuilt it ,try it if u don't mind . and tell me if it bricks your laptop , as i said if it does brick it , it means the phoenix editor is curropting it. thank you.

30CDF2B.rar

Unfortunately HP has moved from Phoenix BIOS to Insyde BIOS with their newer models of laptops (example dv5t, dv7t) As of right now there is not a Insyde BIOS editor so it is not possible to open up the bios and try to patch the whitelist. But with time if that becomes available, I'm sure there will be an effort to stop the whitelist. Actually if you have a second wifi card you would like to try, go ahead and see if you get the 104 unsupported error Raiden. Thank you

Mine is dv5t-1000 CTO. The bios version is F.09A and it could be get from ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp40001-40500/sp40453.exe .

I believe we are going to have the same problem here with the F.23A as we are with the F.2B. When Phoenix Bios editor unpacks the .wph, there is an error in RLS module 3. Rebuild is ok but I believe phoenix is causing the bad flash from incorrectly unpacking the bios. Hasn't been confirmed yet by mukole but im sure it will be soon.

HP Compaq Presario CQ50-100EO Notebook PC (Phoenix)

Im need help to remove the wlan chek list from BIOS.

I have same problem as mehdymehdy

OT

Phoenix Bios Crisis Recovery Disk (CRISDISK.zip) works on USB Flash driver i have done over 15 recovery.

I believe we are going to have the same problem here with the F.23A as we are with the F.2B. When Phoenix Bios editor unpacks the .wph, there is an error in RLS module 3. Rebuild is ok but I believe phoenix is causing the bad flash from incorrectly unpacking the bios. Hasn't been confirmed yet by mukole but im sure it will be soon.

No Phoenix BIOS Editor makes good BIOS.

I try to remove some code in MOD_5100.ROM to test.

No Phoenix BIOS Editor makes good BIOS.

I try to remove some code in MOD_5100.ROM to test.

HI Simri . do u get the LRS module 3 error when you open your bios inside phoenix bios editer. if so . can you please . do the this . open your bios and without touching anything , try to rebuild it . don't make any changes inside any ROM and just open it and rebuild it . and than flash your bios . i wanna see if the LRS error has anything to do with bios being corrupted. thanks.

one more thing . inside MOD_5100.ROM . search for F9EB01F8 and change F9 to F8 and rebuild and try it .

HI Simri . do u get the LRS module 3 error when you open your bios inside phoenix bios editer. if so . can you please . do the this . open your bios and without touching anything , try to rebuild it . don't make any changes inside any ROM and just open it and rebuild it . and than flash your bios . i wanna see if the LRS error has anything to do with bios being corrupted. thanks.

one more thing . inside MOD_5100.ROM . search for F9EB01F8 and change F9 to F8 and rebuild and try it .

hi mehdymehdy, sorry, i havn't been on here the past week, i'll test the bios after work tomorrow, i think you are right, i figured the bios was being unpacked incorrectly, so it was therefore being corrupted before being rebuilt.

Anyway, we'll find out, cheers

Im get same (Error in RLS module 3!) i have try many F9EB01F8 :)

Hot-plug PCI Express Mini Card (Intel 3945 "HP" and Atheros AR5006X "No EEPROM") Don't works in Windows & Linux.

Maybe i have killed PCI Express buss ... BIOS dont detect Intel 3945 ...

Im get same (Error in RLS module 3!) i have try many F9EB01F8 :stretcher:

Hot-plug PCI Express Mini Card (Intel 3945 "HP" and Atheros AR5006X "No EEPROM") Don't works in Windows & Linux.

Maybe i have killed PCI Express buss ... BIOS dont detect Intel 3945 ...

Mukole is going to confirm the RLS module 3 error soon. With the F.58A(dv9000) and the F.29(dv6000). In BIOSCOD4.ROM, is a complied list of ven ids, device ids etc, that is the whitelist of accepted cards. In the pictures I have post previously on this thread, you can see that the F9EB01F8 code is just a couple of characters away from the whitelist. By changing that F9 to F8 will stop the whitelist. But not all HP BIOS are that easy. I am currently working on the F.24A bios right now and HP has moved the whitelist to BIOSCOD1.ROM and there is no F9EB01F8 code right before the whitelist, but there is a whitelist of vens. What I believe HP has done is moved the F9EB01F8 code into BIOSCOD0.ROM and applied a linking code to the whitelist in BIOSCOD1.ROM. The linking code is 6661 which is right before the whitelist in BIOSCOD1 and allso right after the a F9EB01F8 code in BIOSCOD1. I have a tester that is willing to try this F.24A. I will report back on here with results about the F.24A. If the results come back about the RLS error and it is NOT causing the bad flash, I will try and work on the F.2B since it is a popular BIOS. Thank you for the help and support everybody.

hi mokule , if u still didn't give up . i got a good idea to see if the RLS error has any effect on the way the bios is rebuild .

i opened the F.2B bios and rebuild it with the phoenix bios editor without changing anything .the goal is to test whether phoenix bios editor is corrupting the ROM when building it . if this bios brick your laptop that means that the error does have effact on rebuilding the ROM . if it doesn't and everything goes with no problem it means that the pheonix bios editer is building the ROM currectly and all we need to do is to find the right thing to change. so i'm uploading this ROM which i changed nothing inside it only rebuilt it ,try it if u don't mind . and tell me if it bricks your laptop , as i said if it does brick it , it means the phoenix editor is curropting it. thank you.

hi mehdymehdy and lrzrage, i just got home from work and tried flashing with your file, i have to say that i was on the wrong track, your file works on my machine, and i was very surprised when it booted. i have had no luck with this bios so far, but we now know it isn't a build problem, i read somewhere that if you make a change, you must make a change to the bios elsewhere to correct the checksum, but i figured it was ok as phoenix didn't give me any checksum errors, does anyone else know anything about this? Also mehdymehdy, i'm interested to know if phoenix still gives you the rls error on the rebuilt file when you unpack it in phoenix as i'm sure it didn't come up in the files i previously modified.

Anyway, i'll keep this one loaded and make sure it performs ok,

cheers

hi mehdymehdy and lrzrage, i just got home from work and tried flashing with your file, i have to say that i was on the wrong track, your file works on my machine, and i was very surprised when it booted. i have had no luck with this bios so far, but we now know it isn't a build problem, i read somewhere that if you make a change, you must make a change to the bios elsewhere to correct the checksum, but i figured it was ok as phoenix didn't give me any checksum errors, does anyone else know anything about this? Also mehdymehdy, i'm interested to know if phoenix still gives you the rls error on the rebuilt file when you unpack it in phoenix as i'm sure it didn't come up in the files i previously modified.

Anyway, i'll keep this one loaded and make sure it performs ok,

cheers

Ok mukole . Now i know that the LRS error is not corrupting the bios after rebuilding it . and don't worry since it flashed and booted successfuly you wont face problems. atleast lets hope you wont.

anyways i posted this one but it seems u didn't see it . i found one F9EB01F8 inside MOD_5100.ROM and i changed the F9 to F8 . try it if you want . cus this is different . there is no whitelist inside all the BIOSCODE.ROMs . the whitelist is clearly inside MOD_5100.ROM cus you can clearly see all the DEV AND VEN AND SUBSYS . full ids of all wireless cards. so i believe this is it .

try it and tell me if you pass whitelist. if it didn't . there is another thing we can do is to change F9 to F8 inside BIOSCOD3.ROM the one before the wireless card's VENs . and change F9 to F8 inside MOD_5100.ROM and build . because probably these two are linked. which i don't think so . anyways try and i hope u'll be successful.

30CDF2B.rar

Ok mukole . Now i know that the LRS error is not corrupting the bios after rebuilding it . and don't worry since it flashed and booted successfuly you wont face problems. atleast lets hope you wont.

anyways i posted this one but it seems u didn't see it . i found one F9EB01F8 inside MOD_5100.ROM and i changed the F9 to F8 . try it if you want . cus this is different . there is no whitelist inside all the BIOSCODE.ROMs . the whitelist is clearly inside MOD_5100.ROM cus you can clearly see all the DEV AND VEN AND SUBSYS . full ids of all wireless cards. so i believe this is it .

try it and tell me if you pass whitelist. if it didn't . there is another thing we can do is to change F9 to F8 inside BIOSCOD3.ROM the one before the wireless card's VENs . and change F9 to F8 inside MOD_5100.ROM and build . because probably these two are linked. which i don't think so . anyways try and i hope u'll be successful.

hi mehdymehdy , this file doesn't brick the machine, but unfortunately the whitelist still exists, i put in my broadcom card, but still unsupported hardware error, i believe your on the right track though, if i had more time at the moment, i'd have another attempt at poking around in there, but i got a lot of work on right now. If you have more idea's i'd be happy to try any more edits you make.

thanks

hi mehdymehdy , this file doesn't brick the machine, but unfortunately the whitelist still exists, i put in my broadcom card, but still unsupported hardware error, i believe your on the right track though, if i had more time at the moment, i'd have another attempt at poking around in there, but i got a lot of work on right now. If you have more idea's i'd be happy to try any more edits you make.

thanks

ok try this one .

30CDF2B.rar

hey there, this bios also works, but still doesn't allow my broadcom card to boot, sorry

wow , well i don't know what else i should change . in this last one i changed . the F9 to F8 inside BIOSCOD3.ROM right before the wireless cards idea. and i changed the F9 to F8 inside MOD_5100.ROM . i found that these 2 kinda relate to eachothers. but now i'm suprized why it doesn't work . i don't know what else to change .

i'm ganna change one more F9 to F8 and post it here , hopefully that will do it.

ok here it is . come back with good news.

30CDF2B.rar

wow , well i don't know what else i should change . in this last one i changed . the F9 to F8 inside BIOSCOD3.ROM right before the wireless cards idea. and i changed the F9 to F8 inside MOD_5100.ROM . i found that these 2 kinda relate to eachothers. but now i'm suprized why it doesn't work . i don't know what else to change .

i'm ganna change one more F9 to F8 and post it here , hopefully that will do it.

ok here it is . come back with good news.

hi mehdymehdy, sorry to give you the bad news, but it still didn't work, it didn't kill the laptop though, maybe we should try changing the vendor and subsystem id's, that works on other bios where they cant stop the whitelist, i think your right about the mod_5100.rom and the bioscod3.rom being related. When i was trying a few weeks back with the f.13, i tried this in the bioscod3.rom, but not the mod_5100.rom, which is what bricked my laptop, but maybe adding the subsys to both roms might work?

If you want to have a try, i have a bcm94311mcg with vendor 14e4 device 4312, subsys 1360 103c, I'm guessing you know to reverse the numbers in hex. It is interesting that my card has the 103c subsys as this is hp, just not for my model.

thanks again for your efforts

hi mehdymehdy, sorry to give you the bad news, but it still didn't work, it didn't kill the laptop though, maybe we should try changing the vendor and subsystem id's, that works on other bios where they cant stop the whitelist, i think your right about the mod_5100.rom and the bioscod3.rom being related. When i was trying a few weeks back with the f.13, i tried this in the bioscod3.rom, but not the mod_5100.rom, which is what bricked my laptop, but maybe adding the subsys to both roms might work?

If you want to have a try, i have a bcm94311mcg with vendor 14e4 device 4312, subsys 1360 103c, I'm guessing you know to reverse the numbers in hex. It is interesting that my card has the 103c subsys as this is hp, just not for my model.

thanks again for your efforts

hey man . ok i put the numbers for ur card. well there was not much to change . anyways u said it's 4312 but i think u mean 4311 right. anyways try this if it's 4311. good luck.

30CDF2B.rar

hey man . ok i put the numbers for ur card. well there was not much to change . anyways u said it's 4312 but i think u mean 4311 right. anyways try this if it's 4311. good luck.

hey, this one does load the computer, but not with the broadcom card, i'm sure this one is 4312, what i've got written down from when i hot swapped is the string from windows is PCI\VEN_14e4&DEV_4312&SUBSYS_1360103c. I'm pretty sure before i did the hot swap, i found a site listing a few different device id's for this card, anyways, if you could try again with 4312, that would be great, thanks

Hola a todos ;)

Tanks to everyone for all the work you are doing.

I have a dv2760 with bios f.2b. I want to install this card "PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&SUBSYS_04221468&REV_01\4&37028E5F&0&00E3"

You can change the bios to me to use it? I tried to modify it by my self but i brick and have remained without notebooks 20 days.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english i'm Italian.