HP DV Series Whitelist BIOS hack

LRZRAGE

309 posts in this topic

Just an another remarks.

Did someone notice a change regarding the processor Fan driving with the F58A Bios ?

I found my laptop more noisy from this update (may be it's a silent update from HP in order to avoid problem with Nvidia regarding overheated graphics chips...)

Regards

DcaMan

What version were you running before... version F.51 add this enhancement : Updates the fan-control algorithm for the system to reduce the likelihood of future system issues.

Just an another remarks.

Did someone notice a change regarding the processor Fan driving with the F58A Bios ?

I found my laptop more noisy from this update (may be it's a silent update from HP in order to avoid problem with Nvidia regarding overheated graphics chips...)

Regards

DcaMan

I have started a new thread in a effort to get the whitelist patching figured out on other BIOSs. Each HP BIOS is different as they change the whitelist around. Hopefully with time these other BIOSs will be patched.

hi i have hp dv2700 series , and my bios is F.2B . has anyone successfuly hacked this bios , i mean has anyone totaly disabled the whitelist in this bios. if so please help me with it or load ur successful bios here. thanks.

I have started a new thread in a effort to get the whitelist patching figured out on other BIOSs. Each HP BIOS is different as they change the whitelist around. Hopefully with time these other BIOSs will be patched.

hey LRZRAGE wat's up man. i've tried to open pheonix bios editer in my laptop DV2700 series . my bios is F.2B . the pheonix editer doesn't open on my laptop . it gives me an error in the path line. and it will close right after i press ok . i also know that this bios is not easy to patch . i have an apple extreme upgrade kit i'm attaching the image. i'm getting 104 error. i also tried the sprom hack . but that hack is for dell 1390 wireless card only. so tell me if u can help me with this . thanks

post-194164-1220592022.jpg

What version of Phoenix Bios editor are you using? If you are running vista you have to right click and run as admin to install and even once the program is installed, run as admin each time. Once you get it open, open up the wph file that is in the SwSetup or sometimes it is placed in your program files. I believe in the F.2B Bios the whitelist is stored in the BIOSCOD1.ROM file. Leave phoenix open with the wph open. Then use your hex editor and got to program files, phoenix, bios editor, temp, and you should see the cod1 file. search for 8680, that is a intel ven id. Not for sure on how to do the patch for that specific bios. The others i have patched always have a F9EB01F8 code before the whitelist and you change the F9 to a F8 and that stops the whitelist. Let me know if you find anything out.

hey LRZRAGE wat's up man. i've tried to open pheonix bios editer in my laptop DV2700 series . my bios is F.2B . the pheonix editer doesn't open on my laptop . it gives me an error in the path line. and it will close right after i press ok . i also know that this bios is not easy to patch . i have an apple extreme upgrade kit i'm attaching the image. i'm getting 104 error. i also tried the sprom hack . but that hack is for dell 1390 wireless card only. so tell me if u can help me with this . thanks

What version of Phoenix Bios editor are you using? If you are running vista you have to right click and run as admin to install and even once the program is installed, run as admin each time. Once you get it open, open up the wph file that is in the SwSetup or sometimes it is placed in your program files. I believe in the F.2B Bios the whitelist is stored in the BIOSCOD1.ROM file. Leave phoenix open with the wph open. Then use your hex editor and got to program files, phoenix, bios editor, temp, and you should see the cod1 file. search for 8680, that is a intel ven id. Not for sure on how to do the patch for that specific bios. The others i have patched always have a F9EB01F8 code before the whitelist and you change the F9 to a F8 and that stops the whitelist. Let me know if you find anything out.

OK LRZRAGE , thanks for your fast replay. i have found some interesting things . but my problem is i can't risk flashing my bios unless i make sure it works 100% or my wife will kill me . ^_^

so i wish there will be somone who is willing to test it . cus i have found the F9EB01F8 code that you've mentioned above.

the whitelist in bios F.2B is actually inside BIOSCOD3. Now , i took 3 pictures from inside BIOSCOD3. first one i highlighted with some numbers which i want u to look at them . these numbers are about 20 to 30 lines before i find F9EB01F8 code .

The second picture clearly shows F9EB01F8 code .

the third picture you can find numbers of other wireless cards which are supported like E4 14 11 43.

please take a look at these pictures ,or if u want to open the F.2B bios, Go to BIOSCOD3 type inside search 22 42 . you'll see the first picture i took ,and when u go down about 20 lines you'll see F9EB01F8 code, and when u go further down you'll see the rest of the wireless cards which are supported. thank you for your help.

Please i would be thankful if some people will test this and come back with great news . cus i really can't test this on this laptop cus i don't really own this laptop for now lol. Please whoever get this working create a patch , i promis u'll have the honor of hacking this bios :P

post-194164-1220617471_thumb.jpg

post-194164-1220617486_thumb.jpg

post-194164-1220617511_thumb.jpg

Mehdymedy, looks like you are on the right track here. Later today i will go ahead and download the F.2B bios, do you happen to have a quick link? Your screen shots look good, one thing you might double check is in hexit hit F4 and go to code mode.. it will show F9 as a STC instruction and a F8 is a CLC. Can you give me you line numbers where you are seeing the ven ids etc. I have added a screen shot of what i did in my BIOS. The whitelist for the F.58A was located in COD4. notice all the E414(broadcom) and 8680(intel) ven ids... is yours similiar. Let me know what you figure out. Keep up the good work!

OK LRZRAGE , thanks for your fast replay. i have found some interesting things . but my problem is i can't risk flashing my bios unless i make sure it works 100% or my wife will kill me . :P

so i wish there will be somone who is willing to test it . cus i have found the F9EB01F8 code that you've mentioned above.

the whitelist in bios F.2B is actually inside BIOSCOD3. Now , i took 3 pictures from inside BIOSCOD3. first one i highlighted with some numbers which i want u to look at them . these numbers are about 20 to 30 lines before i find F9EB01F8 code .

The second picture clearly shows F9EB01F8 code .

the third picture you can find numbers of other wireless cards which are supported like E4 14 11 43.

please take a look at these pictures ,or if u want to open the F.2B bios, Go to BIOSCOD3 type inside search 22 42 . you'll see the first picture i took ,and when u go down about 20 lines you'll see F9EB01F8 code, and when u go further down you'll see the rest of the wireless cards which are supported. thank you for your help.

Please i would be thankful if some people will test this and come back with great news . cus i really can't test this on this laptop cus i don't really own this laptop for now lol. Please whoever get this working create a patch , i promis u'll have the honor of hacking this bios ;)

post-214538-1220624774_thumb.jpg

OK thanks 'LRZRAGE' here is a quick link to the bios . click on download only and get it .

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3747191

and i took a screen shot that shows F9 is stc and f8 is clc .

I do see in your screen shot that after F9EB01F8 code all your wireless cards are listed nice and in order. but in my case you look about 23 lines down under the F9EB01F8 code you'll start seeing the wireless cards which are supported in white list. and they are not nice and in order . so it's kinda hard to see them. so if the F9EB01F8 code is the one that disables the whitelist . than yes u can see a list of ven ids of different devices and than comes the wireless cards . cus not only the wireless cards are listed in the whitelist as u know. i hope we can find a real tester . there was a guy here saying that he is willing to test the F.2B . but i don't know if he's still available. if someone is ready to take the test we will change the F9 to F8 and see if that solves all the headeach. thanks.

post-194164-1220644361_thumb.jpg

Mehdymehdy, if you would like to go ahead and change that F9 to a F8 at the spot you located, go ahead and do it, and then post the .wph here. There is a cool little program out there called crisis recovery and it is used for phoenix bios! If you happen to brick your computer, all you do is extract the original .wph file and add a couple other files to a floppy and shut off you computer and then hold win+b or fn+b and then power on (there are better directions out there). I believe I have the software but I have never had to use it. If you go ahead and post, anybody who downloads it, please use caution and only do it if you have used crisis recovery before. That is going to be the only feasible way of testing. Crisis recovery saves a lot of time rather than having to send it to somewhere in california for the repair shop for HP to fix. The only other thing I could think of right now is that there has been a thread going around here about a broadcom that is supported in the whitelist. I cant remember the exact name of the thread. obviously a couple of broadcom cards are support as you can see the E414 in the whitelist. Anyways, let me know on the progess.

OK thanks 'LRZRAGE' here is a quick link to the bios . click on download only and get it .

I do see in your screen shot that after F9EB01F8 code all your wireless cards are listed nice and in order. but in my case you look about 23 lines down under the F9EB01F8 code you'll start seeing the wireless cards which are supported in white list. and they are not nice and in order . so it's kinda hard to see them. so if the F9EB01F8 code is the one that disables the whitelist . than yes u can see a list of ven ids of different devices and than comes the wireless cards . cus not only the wireless cards are listed in the whitelist as u know. i hope we can find a real tester . there was a guy here saying that he is willing to test the F.2B . but i don't know if he's still available. if someone is ready to take the test we will change the F9 to F8 and see if that solves all the headeach. thanks.

hi mehdymehdy, if you could make this modification and post the bios here, i will try it. I was playing around with the f.2b but with no luck. i bricked my computer several times, so i do have a working crisis recovery disk now. I'm not sure if i was causing a checksum error or if phoenix bios editor was even handling the bios correctly, as i was getting crc errors when i opened this file on my machine. I had to take a break from it anyway.

Also, which model of hp is this bios for, as i did find out that hp is using the same version numbers for different bios' for different machines in some cases, eg there is an f.13 for my dv2637tx, but there is also a f.13 for some compaq models which isn't the same as the one mine uses, the compaq f.13 actually supports windows xp, whereas the f.13 for my dv2637tx only supports vista.

thanks.

sorry, i just checked your link, and it is the same version mine uses

hi mehdymehdy, if you could make this modification and post the bios here, i will try it. I was playing around with the f.2b but with no luck. i bricked my computer several times, so i do have a working crisis recovery disk now. I'm not sure if i was causing a checksum error or if phoenix bios editor was even handling the bios correctly, as i was getting crc errors when i opened this file on my machine. I had to take a break from it anyway.

Also, which model of hp is this bios for, as i did find out that hp is using the same version numbers for different bios' for different machines in some cases, eg there is an f.13 for my dv2637tx, but there is also a f.13 for some compaq models which isn't the same as the one mine uses, the compaq f.13 actually supports windows xp, whereas the f.13 for my dv2637tx only supports vista.

thanks.

sorry, i just checked your link, and it is the same version mine uses

hi LRZRAGE and mukole , thanks for offering to help. first thing i can't try it cus i don't have usb floppy drive and i don't have the money to buy one at this time . so i'm sorry for not trying it . i'm just broke and out of job for now.

my laptop is dv2915nr from dv2700 seriese.

The first thing you can do is to install the F.2B bios for my laptop . and if it installs that means you use the same bios as mine . here is the link . http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3747191 .you don't need to worry cus if it's not the right bios it wont install.

click on download only and install it . do this before you try the one i made. thank you

second thing you can do is, i have rebuild the bios and it was build successfuly there were absolutely no error in the whole process of rebuilding it . well all i did is i changed the F9 to F8 and that is supposed to disable the whitelist. so i've attached the new bios in here . you can grab it and try it . also i don't know how u load it . you must have a winphlash program that loads bios . so if u do this is the bios here . try it and tell me the good news.

30CDF2B.rar

Mehdymehdy, take a look at BIOSCOD1.ROM ... thats where i have seen the whitelist in other bios's. Awhile back I believe I looked at the F.2B and see it in COD1 .. unfortunately the F9EB01F8 code was not right before the whitelist. Anyways, just thought I would throw that out there.. looks like you got mukole as a tester!!! Very good news as he utilizes the crisis disk recovery!! ;) Sunday I plan on openning up the F.2B and spending sometime going through it.. I will post back soon. I am glad you guys are helping out!! Thank you so much for the support and goodluck!

hi LRZRAGE and mukole , thanks for offering to help. first thing i can't try it cus i don't have usb floppy drive and i don't have the money to buy one at this time . so i'm sorry for not trying it . i'm just broke and out of job for now.

The first thing you can do is to install the F.2B bios for my laptop . and if it installs that means you use the same bios as mine . here is the link . http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3747191 .you don't need to worry cus if it's not the right bios it wont install.

click on download only and install it . do this before you try the one i made. thank you

second thing you can do is, i have rebuild the bios and it was build successfuly there were absolutely no error in the whole process of rebuilding it . well all i did is i changed the F9 to F8 and that is supposed to disable the whitelist. so i've attached the new bios in here . you can grab it and try it . also i don't know how u load it . you must have a winphlash program that loads bios . so if u do this is the bios here . try it and tell me the good news.

ok guys . i just wanted to add some more information. i checked each and everyone one of the BIOSCODs and i found nothing related to wireless cards . how i did it . is i searched for E4 14 11 43 , and the only one that had wireless ven and subsys id was the BIOSCOD3 . which i've already changed the F9 to F8 for that.

anyways . inside BIOSCOD3 i found 2 more F9 EB 01 f8 . i changed the first one F9 to F8 and build the bios and there was error . i changed the second one and build the bios and it gave me error. i build both and it gave me error . but only the one i changed before the wireless cards ven and subsys numbers . that one didn't give me error when i changed the F9 to f8. so this is all you can do actually. cus i searched all the bios . and this one that i posted must work . there is no other way to do it . any other will you'll get an error. only this one is the right one. try it and tell me what you get.

Can someone please help me out with the f.24 bios for the hp dv5220us. I can not for the life of me figure this stuff out and I am not a noob at computers. I am a noob at editing hex lines and bios files.

Please if someone could take a look at my bios edit it and post it with instructions on how to install I would be indebted to you good people.

Link... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3184211

Thanks

Mehdymehdy, take a look at BIOSCOD1.ROM ... thats where i have seen the whitelist in other bios's. Awhile back I believe I looked at the F.2B and see it in COD1 .. unfortunately the F9EB01F8 code was not right before the whitelist. Anyways, just thought I would throw that out there.. looks like you got mukole as a tester!!! Very good news as he utilizes the crisis disk recovery!! :) Sunday I plan on openning up the F.2B and spending sometime going through it.. I will post back soon. I am glad you guys are helping out!! Thank you so much for the support and goodluck!

hi lazarge . i just wrote a long reply to you explaining that there is no whitelist in the other BIOSCODs except in BIOSCOD3 . but somehow the interenet was down so i lost all that writing . but to make it short . i searched each and every BIOSCOD looking for this VEN&SUBSYS E4 14 11 43 . and this is what you need , you need both the VEN AND THE SUBSYS so you can find it . if you have the VEN only ,sepcialy the intel one you'll find it everywhere . but if you search for E4 14 11 43 . you'll find it only in one place and that's in BIOSCOD3 . so i'm positive that the whitelist is inside BIOSCOD3 . what was confusing is that there was more than one F9EB01F8 code . there was about 4 of the F9EB01F8 code . and when i tried changing all the F9's to F8s and wanted to rebuild the bios it gave me errors . But i didn't get error only when i changed the one before the wireless cards . so i just waiting for someone to test that . i'm sure that should work or else it's either impossible to do or you must be very good at bios programing to know what's going on. takecare waiting for results :D

hi mehdymehdy, i tried the file you uploaded, i dropped it into the folder where the original .wph file extracted to and performed the update, but the same results as when i tried to mod it myself. It bricked the system. I don't know what makes these bios' different to the rest, hp trying to stop us from removing the whitelist i suspect, and they're getting tricky. I can't even open the f.2b or the f.13 in phoenix without getting a crc error at the end, yet i can open the other versions people are modding here, and to be honest i don't know enough about it to figure out whats going wrong. Anyway, a few minutes with my recovery disk and i was on air again. If you have anymore idea's, i'll be happy to try them. One thing i'm confident about now is restoring my crashed bios.

cheers

hi mehdymehdy, i tried the file you uploaded, i dropped it into the folder where the original .wph file extracted to and performed the update, but the same results as when i tried to mod it myself. It bricked the system. I don't know what makes these bios' different to the rest, hp trying to stop us from removing the whitelist i suspect, and they're getting tricky. I can't even open the f.2b or the f.13 in phoenix without getting a crc error at the end, yet i can open the other versions people are modding here, and to be honest i don't know enough about it to figure out whats going wrong. Anyway, a few minutes with my recovery disk and i was on air again. If you have anymore idea's, i'll be happy to try them. One thing i'm confident about now is restoring my crashed bios.

cheers

i don't think you should drop the file inside the same folder . you need to download something called winflash loader. i had it but i don't have it right now . and also since u have a floppy drive why don't u try adding it in your crisis disk and flash your bios same way u recover from it . that should have different results.

but yes your right . this is confusing . the file i uploaded . i changed one F9 but there is more F9 EB 01 F8 in there . so let me try changing another one . i hope i can change all of them with out getting an error . maybe that'll help . thanks for your help and whenever your sick of trying ur free to stop :angel:

i don't think you should drop the file inside the same folder . you need to download something called winflash loader. i had it but i don't have it right now . and also since u have a floppy drive why don't u try adding it in your crisis disk and flash your bios same way u recover from it . that should have different results.

but yes your right . this is confusing . the file i uploaded . i changed one F9 but there is more F9 EB 01 F8 in there . so let me try changing another one . i hope i can change all of them with out getting an error . maybe that'll help . thanks for your help and whenever your sick of trying ur free to stop :D

hi mehdymehdy, when you download the sp39373 file from hp and run it, it extracts to c:\program files\sp39373\, inside there is two folders containing the update files, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit. also there is the winflash utility which normally autoruns when you initially execute the downloaded file. What i've been doing, is replacing the .wph file in the \winphlash directory, which is the 32 bit directory (as i am running 32bit vista) and manually run the winphlash utility. i have used this procedure to write stock bios' , and a modded bios on another machine, and i believe this to be the correct procedure. The flash utility appears to perform the flash with no problem, but on reboot the machine just gives me a blank screen and lights on, but nothing else.

The recovery disk also uses the winplash program, but i believe its a 16bit version, and it runs on minidos, which is also on the recovery disk. i will have a try at creating a recovery disk with your file and flashing that way anyway, but probably wont be able to get back to you until tomorrow.

thanks for your efforts, i am keen to get this working also.

hey mukole .

here is another one . because there were 4 F9 EB 02 F8 inside BIOSCOD3 i tried to change all of them to F8 and i got it . now the phoenix editer gives that RLS error to everyone i guess . if not atleast everyone has files which are not recognizable in the begining when it loads or extracts the bios... i don't think that's the problem since it does buid it successfuly .

also search in google for winphlash you can find it on intel website too so search winphlash intel easy to find it. download it . than install it and than go to C:\Program Files\Phoenix Technologies Ltd and put the bios there u must name it BIOS.WPH . and flash from there . but i don't recommand this one . it's just a suggestion.

i wish you success this time . if not we might try changing some other stuff . or probably you give me the VEN&SUBSYS of the wireless card u want to use and i'll try to place it instead of one of them and we try if that can be helpful.

and i wish some more experience people help here . thanks.

i'm going to look inside the previous bios see if it's complicated like this one .

mukole can you tell me the model of ur laptop. thanks . i found some good information on what to do before u drop the file inside the bios installer . but than i lost it and i can't find it . it was about double clicking on PHLASH and there is some information you change a couple of numbers and save it . i guess you set hidall to 0 and one more thing . i forgot. but i don't think it should be that important. anyways try this and tell me what happens.

hi i'm also adding this one . if u want to try . this one is with only the first 3 F9 EB 01 F8 changed . because the last F9 EB 01 F8 which is at the bottom of BIOSCOD3 has no wireless card listen under it . so i thought i leave that it could be for some other important things . and i only changed those first 3 which you can find wireless cards under them. -_- i don't know what else can be done i'm just trying different ways.

sorry it kinda got messed up here . the one in the bottom is the one with only three F9 EB 01 F8 changed and the first one all four are changed.

30CDF2B.rar

30CDF2B.rar

Mehdymehdy, i went ahead and opened up the F.2B but when it opens up and loads I get an error. Are you getting any errors when it opens up? I might try a different version of phoenix bios edit. I am using 2.2.0.1. I did go ahead and open up COD3 and did see the vens scattered throughout. When I did the patch on the F.58A for my system, I only changed 1 F9 to a F8 that was right before the whitelist of vens. Thank you for helping out Mukole!

hey mukole .

here is another one . because there were 4 F9 EB 02 F8 inside BIOSCOD3 i tried to change all of them to F8 and i got it . now the phoenix editer gives that RLS error to everyone i guess . if not atleast everyone has files which are not recognizable in the begining when it loads or extracts the bios... i don't think that's the problem since it does buid it successfuly .

also search in google for winphlash you can find it on intel website too so search winphlash intel easy to find it. download it . than install it and than go to C:\Program Files\Phoenix Technologies Ltd and put the bios there u must name it BIOS.WPH . and flash from there . but i don't recommand this one . it's just a suggestion.

i wish you success this time . if not we might try changing some other stuff . or probably you give me the VEN&SUBSYS of the wireless card u want to use and i'll try to place it instead of one of them and we try if that can be helpful.

i'm going to look inside the previous bios see if it's complicated like this one .

mukole can you tell me the model of ur laptop. thanks . i found some good information on what to do before u drop the file inside the bios installer . but than i lost it and i can't find it . it was about double clicking on PHLASH and there is some information you change a couple of numbers and save it . i guess you set hidall to 0 and one more thing . i forgot. but i don't think it should be that important. anyways try this and tell me what happens.

hi i'm also adding this one . if u want to try . this one is with only the first 3 F9 EB 01 F8 changed . because the last F9 EB 01 F8 which is at the bottom of BIOSCOD3 has no wireless card listen under it . so i thought i leave that it could be for some other important things . and i only changed those first 3 which you can find wireless cards under them. :unsure: i don't know what else can be done i'm just trying different ways.

sorry it kinda got messed up here . the one in the bottom is the one with only three F9 EB 01 F8 changed and the first one all four are changed.

Mehdymehdy, i went ahead and opened up the F.2B but when it opens up and loads I get an error. Are you getting any errors when it opens up? I might try a different version of phoenix bios edit. I am using 2.2.0.1. I did go ahead and open up COD3 and did see the vens scattered throughout. When I did the patch on the F.58A for my system, I only changed 1 F9 to a F8 that was right before the whitelist of vens. Thank you for helping out Mukole!

ya i do get that god damn error , but i got that error with all the bioses for dv2700 even the oldest bios version which is from 2007 opens up with RLS module 3! error. although when i rebuild the bios it does build it successfuly and when i open it again everything is in the right place. guess what, inside MOD_5100 . the wireless VEN&SUBSYS are listed in order just like how they are in your bios. but you wont find F9EB01F8 close to it . you will find one at the very top fo the page .

i do believe that this bios is kinda impossible to hack for it's nature . the way it was build is to make it very confusing to read it . and probably there is a file inside it that makes the phoenix bios editer give that error.

probably there are more than one thing to change unlike your bios which u needed to change only one number. but that itself is a puzzle. anyways i'll do what i can do to get it open without error . takecare.

hey mukole .

hi i'm also adding this one . if u want to try . this one is with only the first 3 F9 EB 01 F8 changed . because the last F9 EB 01 F8 which is at the bottom of BIOSCOD3 has no wireless card listen under it . so i thought i leave that it could be for some other important things . and i only changed those first 3 which you can find wireless cards under them. :P i don't know what else can be done i'm just trying different ways.

hi mehdymehdy, I tried the two other bios' you posted, both with the windows based winphash and with the recovery disk using the crisis recovery method (also with the first one), but still sadly i get the same results.

My machine is a dv2637tx, and I still think phoenix or more likely HP have done something (unknown compression/encryption??) to the compiling or decompiling of the original bios to make it build incorrectly, even though it shows as being successful. and i believe the changes you are making could well be the right changes.

As i said when i open these bios' in phoenix i get an extra error at the end of the process, something about crc?

Maybe they purposely build it with a false checksum error included in the original file which cant be replicated with the phoenix bios editor when rebuilding, i don't really know, i'm only guessing.

I know the change you mean in the phlash.ini file, it is Hideall=0 and maybe advanced=1. anyway it unhides the advanced options of the winphlash utility so you can choose a bios with a different name.

I was trying to modify it myself several weeks ago, starting with the f.13 then with the latest f.2b, but i was just trying to add my card which is a broadcom bcm94311mcg i bought off ebay.

The interesting thing is that i hot swapped the card and loaded the driver in vista to find out the device id's (vendor 14e4 device 4311 i think, (the notes i wrote down are a bit unclear.)) I was looking in bioscod3 and one of the other bioscods, as well as mod_5100.rom, and in one of the files i actually found the id of my broadcam card.

What i later found was that there should have been a subsystem id that followed eg. 11 43 e4 14 3c 10 60 13, the first half is the broadcom id, and the second half the hp id. In the file i was looking in the subsystem ids were further down the file in hexedit and they were listed one after another, the subsystem id of my broadcom card is 3c 10 60 13, the 3c 10 indicating it is infact a hp card, and i found one subsystem id in there which only differed by one digit (i think it was 3c 10 60 f3 or something like that), changed the id, saved then recompiled the bios, then bricked my system again.

I thought it interesting that the card i have is for some models but not others anyway.

I can check and give you the id numbers of my card if you want, i'll have to hotplug again to double check as i wrote numbers all over a piece of paper and am not 100% certain which is which now, and thanks for your effort in trying this.

I agree, some more experienced people would be good, maybe a disgruntled ex-employee of hp with some knowledge in this might be good.

thanks again

One more thing, does anyone know if phoenix have generic versions of these bios' that havn't been customised for or by hp?? or are these written only for hp computers?? this could be very helpful if we could find a version which hasn't been crippled with whitelists.

hi mukole .

to tell you the truth i gave up . last night i tried the Sprom hack . i have the same broadcom card that u have bcm94311 . and i did the hack and the hack went good on linux . but froze my keyboard . than i restarted and i got the same error 104 . i really think i shouldn't mess around with this thing anymore . best thing is to by the dell card and do the hack on lunix . i think the dell card works . the one i had was from my old compaq . but since its bcm94311 i thought i'll give it a try. now that card doesn't function anymore. before i do the hack i did the hot plug trick and it worked in vista and linux. but after the hack it didn't work anymore. and it didn't pass the 104 error. i guess those guys are lucky to have different bios than us.

i'll keep checking here to see if anyone comes up with something new. good luck.