HP DV Series Whitelist BIOS hack

LRZRAGE

309 posts in this topic

OK everybody... anybody using the patched F53 Bios for the HP DV9000/6000 (I believe) .. you may have noticed that there is a new one out F.58A. Well I am glad to say that it is successfully patched. With the guidance of kevd_hackins post and the initial doctor j one, I was able to patched the newest one F.58A.. I also added in a nice little mac apple instead of the HP INVENT at the begging of your BIOS. This will allow ANY wireless cards!! I just got my broadcom card today, flashed my bios, saw my nice little apple at boot up and bam i was in OS X with browsin the internet on my new broadcom card. Goodbye 104 Unsupported error message.. lol... anyways.. the linked BIOS contains version F.58A and has a apple logo (if you would like the original HP invent, PM and i can make arrangements).

1. Download the F.58A bios update from HP and go ahead and install.

2. Stop after install and do NOT flash

3. Exit out and go to C:\SwSetup\SP36774. (this sp number will be different for different BIOS)

4. Edit the phlash.ini (either under swinflash(32bit system) or Winphlash64 (64bit system)

4a. Under the [uI].. set hideall=0 and add in Advanced=1.

5. Right click the flash.exe and run as administrator and this will allow you to specify the BIOS (swinflash.exe=32bit and winphlash64.exe=64bit)

6. Choose the patched bios that you downloaded.( .WPH file) (Vista users might have to disable UAC)

7. Flash and let your laptop shutdown

8. After the laptop has shutdown completely, wait a little bit and then hit the power button

9. Boot into OS X and if your card is OS X friendly, you might have to add it in through Network under system prefs.

Enjoy

If you have a DV series laptop and you are having problems with the dreaded 104 unsupported error message. Post here with your bios version, Ven ID, Dev ID, and subsys ID of your original wifi card and I might be able to help you out.

**EDIT** - I have patched the original F.58A bios to bypass the whitelist and left the original HP Invent by request. Enjoy! (Labeled HP 30CCF58A)

**EDIT** - The BIOS F.29 for the DV6000t system(intel) is patched and can be located here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124283

**EDIT** - F.59A is now out. I have done the same patch to it as I did the F.58A. I haven't had a chance to test it out on my system yet. But I don't think it should cause any problems, nothing changed in regards to stopping the whitelist check.

30CCF58.rar

HP_30CCF58A.rar

30CCF59_patched_.rar

I can provide pics of my system if you would like... I understand where you are coming from about not wanting to brick your system. Ive compared my bios patch with previous versions that were patched(that work) and they are exactly alike. Only difference is that this is the newest version F.58A, (older version was F53) and I put a mac apple logo in instead of the boring HP INVENT logo. As i said before, if someone would like the HP INVENT bios with the whitelist patch, I can provide that also. :D

-Lee

Has anyone (other than the original poster) confirmed that this BIOS is working?

Can confirm it works!

It's not the greatest logo in the world, so if you can make one with the old one, it would be nice!?

But the bottom line is it works, i stuck the card of my old Acer in which previously gave me "the Error" and it works!

My original card however works without a patch so I'm going to flash it again with the original BIOS!

SticMAN

Has anyone (other than the original poster) confirmed that this BIOS is working?

Original HP Invent Logo has been added also to the mac apple logo, thanks for testing the bios out! Much appreciated..

-Lee

Can confirm it works!

It's not the greatest logo in the world, so if you can make one with the old one, it would be nice!?

But the bottom line is it works, i stuck the card of my old Acer in which previously gave me "the Error" and it works!

My original card however works without a patch so I'm going to flash it again with the original BIOS!

SticMAN

Can confirm it works!

LRZRAGE, maybe if you posted the "Apple" image file you used to replace HP Invent, some of us could work on it an improve it.

Thanks agan for providing this...

you wouldn't be able to improve on it!!

It CAN ONLY be Black & White!!!(that is Black background and a White Logo)

Not much room for improvement!?

SticMAN

@ LRZRAGE:

could you make a BIOS with no modification except for the LOGO, as I have a card that is recognized and would only like the logo changed, not ANYTHING else!?

SticMAN

LRZRAGE, maybe if you posted the "Apple" image file you used to replace HP Invent, some of us could work on it an improve it.

Thanks agan for providing this...

My only issue with the logo is that it is way too big.

I would reccomend that the apple be made smaller, so that it is the same size as the grey apple that is displayed during the initial leopard boot screen.

It would be hot if they were the exact same size, diminsions, aspect ratio... but it would be great if they were just almost identical in size.

Again, the bios does work and that is what is important. The rest is just nit picking.

Thanks again for everything.

unpatched f58a with apple logo

SticMAN

@ LRZRAGE:

could you make a BIOS with no modification except for the LOGO, as I have a card that is recognized and would only like the logo changed, not ANYTHING else!?

SticMAN

unpatched_f58a.rar

LRZRAGE, I've got a Macbook Pro Wireless-N (AR5BXB72) card coming in the mail here soon. I know you have been playing with the DV series, but is there any chance on doing this for my 8510p? I won't be 100% sure if I will get the 104 error until I get the card, but if you could look into the BIOS for my laptop, that would be awesome.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...EnvOID=1093#120

LRZRAGE, I've got a Macbook Pro Wireless-N (AR5BXB72) card coming in the mail here soon. I know you have been playing with the DV series, but is there any chance on doing this for my 8510p? I won't be 100% sure if I will get the 104 error until I get the card, but if you could look into the BIOS for my laptop, that would be awesome.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...EnvOID=1093#120

which bios version is yours.. the F.13 or F.0F. Also what is the Ven ID, Dev ID, and subsys ID of your original wifi card. Thank you

BIOS: F.13

VEN: 8086

DEV: 4229

SUBSYS: 10008086

REV: 61

Thanks!

lookin at all the 3 F.13 bios.. there isnt actually a .wph file i can open up with phoenix bios editor and then do the patch with hex editor. check this forum... looks like it is just getting started but there might be a working fix for your type of flashing utility

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=120819

LOL glad someone other than me was doing this, I had a patcher up on my page http://osx86.darkstar.net for ages but was sort of afraid to release it to the general public. Was handing the url out in IRC left and right, just not on the forums =)

It's funny it looks like we picked the same image type for the Apple logo, but I had a very high rez image as my source so I'm wondering how much different the two look!

Thanks for posting this to the forums for the rest of the DV users!!!

Firefox408

------------------------------------------------------------

Firefox408 at mac.com sckevyn on irc.osx86.hu

lookin at all the 3 F.13 bios.. there isnt actually a .wph file i can open up with phoenix bios editor and then do the patch with hex editor. check this forum... looks like it is just getting started but there might be a working fix for your type of flashing utility

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=120819

i have this same bios, and discovered there is a newer phoenix (version 2.2.0.1) which opens these newer files.

see this forum

http://bb.bearslinks.info/viewtopic.php?t=3418

i have found my 4965 intel card (8086:4229) in BIOSCOD3.ROM but am unsure where to put my bcm4311 id (14e4:4311)

any help would be appreciated

Ive been able to spot ven ids in the bios but rather than changing a ven id, just trying to find a F9 EB 01 F8 code that should be right before a list of ven ids and cancelling the whitelist check by changing that first F9 to a F8... that will cancel the whitelist check and you will be able to put ANY wireless card you want.. So far the only luck I have had is with the F.58A bios. I am very reluctant to change anything as it can brick a system :)

i have this same bios, and discovered there is a newer phoenix (version 2.2.0.1) which opens these newer files.

see this forum

http://bb.bearslinks.info/viewtopic.php?t=3418

i have found my 4965 intel card (8086:4229) in BIOSCOD3.ROM but am unsure where to put my bcm4311 id (14e4:4311)

any help would be appreciated

thanks for the info lrzrage, yes i successfully bricked my system, i think i also missed the subsys codes anyway, had to buy a usb floppy drive for the crisis recovery, and after a night of unsuccessful recovery's with various bios's discovered there are more than one crisis recovery downloads available on the web, i found one which worked straight up on this forum http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry766139 and successfully flashed to the latest f.2b bios. Now i have my recovery disk i will try that with the f.2b,

for a minute i thought i had a doorstop, thanks again

mukole,

That sucks that you bricked your system, but it's nice to see that you were also able to recover from it.

How were you able to open the rom.bin file in the editor? It still won't work on my side and the link provided above has a virus in it.

If you are able to disable the whitelist, please post details on it. Thanks!

mukole,

That sucks that you bricked your system, but it's nice to see that you were also able to recover from it.

How were you able to open the rom.bin file in the editor? It still won't work on my side and the link provided above has a virus in it.

If you are able to disable the whitelist, please post details on it. Thanks!

In the f.13 and f.2b bios, there is a .wph file when you extract them, phoenix 2.2.0.1 will open these files, but i have to

open phoenix, then open the file through the file menu, double clicking or right clicking from windows explorer wont work, as phoenix complains of "invalid procedure call or argument"

unfortunately, i get "rls error in module 3" when i open the .wph files in phoenix, but am still able to navigate to the phoenix temp directory and find the .rom files to edit with hexedit.

i think the problem is, the rls error, and i have tried a few versions of phoenix on 2 different machines with xp and vista (with uac disabled) with no success. the wph file builds successfully, but is corrupt (i have now bricked and restored the original bios 3 times), i think this is because it isn't being unpackaged correctly. i also changed the .wph extension to .bin and was able to open the entire file in hexedit, but it isn't unpacked and seems to be of little use.

I've only been running tiger, and now leopard for around 12 months now on my pc's, and have little experience with editing bios's, and am considering ditching this dv2637tx for maybe a toshiba or a mbp, but in the end i probably will continue to attempt this mod, as 10.5.2 is running flawlessly, apart from the 4965n card, which won't work in osx, and i hate giving up on a problem like this. maybe theres some tool in linux to edit the bios,

i will post if i find a fix.

oh yeah, i'm not sure which link you mean has the virus, but i havn't found any with the latest nod32.

In the f.13 and f.2b bios, there is a .wph file when you extract them, phoenix 2.2.0.1 will open these files, but i have to

open phoenix, then open the file through the file menu, double clicking or right clicking from windows explorer wont work, as phoenix complains of "invalid procedure call or argument"

unfortunately, i get "rls error in module 3" when i open the .wph files in phoenix, but am still able to navigate to the phoenix temp directory and find the .rom files to edit with hexedit.

i think the problem is, the rls error, and i have tried a few versions of phoenix on 2 different machines with xp and vista (with uac disabled) with no success. the wph file builds successfully, but is corrupt (i have now bricked and restored the original bios 3 times), i think this is because it isn't being unpackaged correctly. i also changed the .wph extension to .bin and was able to open the entire file in hexedit, but it isn't unpacked and seems to be of little use.

I've only been running tiger, and now leopard for around 12 months now on my pc's, and have little experience with editing bios's, and am considering ditching this dv2637tx for maybe a toshiba or a mbp, but in the end i probably will continue to attempt this mod, as 10.5.2 is running flawlessly, apart from the 4965n card, which won't work in osx, and i hate giving up on a problem like this. maybe theres some tool in linux to edit the bios,

oh yeah, i'm not sure which link you mean has the virus, but i havn't found any with the latest nod32.

Just to give you a heads up, I have an 8510p, not the dv2637. My BIOS updater only includes ROM.BIN and ROM.SIG.

What files are you adding to your floppy disc and what combination are you using at powering on Win+B or Fn+B?

What files are you adding to your floppy disc and what combination are you using at powering on Win+B or Fn+B?

i create the crisis recovery disk, which has minidos.sys, phlash16.exe and bios.wph, you then replace the bios.wph file with the one extracted out of the bios installer from hp, you have to rename it to bios.wph. mine is Win+B, i'm not sure how to go about the .bin and .rom files. i think i may have read somewhere that you need to replace the extension on one of them with .wph, but don't quote my on that, i could be wrong

Hello Dears,

I confirm the bios from LRZrage is working. I'm now able to swith my wifi card (principal goal for me is to reach draft 'N' wifi cause all the systeme at home is already at this level).

Thanks for your support

Regards

dcaMan