com.apple.launchd - No such file or directory error loop FIXED!

man_bites_dog

11 posts in this topic

Hi All

Could someone please shed some light on my problem.

I installed OSX86 flawlessly on my machine and had it running perfectly. I then installed updates to a few apps and then got a stuck in an launchd missing file loop. My knowledge of Unix is limited and so I re-installed everything and got it up and running. After installing the updates to a few apps (iLife, Final Cut Pro, MacOffice) I got the same horrible loop.

This is the error:

user-name-mac-pro com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder[22]): posix_spawnp(''/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder, ...): No such file or directory

I tried using every conceivable boot option. i've tried single user mode but I don't know what I'mlooking for or how to get read/write access. I've tried booting with the Kalyway DVD so i could use Disk Utility to fix permissions but it won't let me modify the disk. This is so frustrating as everything works so well and then falls over once I've installed the updates. The problem is I don't know which update is causing this problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My system is an Asus Commando, Intel Quad 6600 overclocked to 3.1 ghz, 2 gigs ram, Realtek network adapter (working) and basic sound is working. I'm running the vanilla kernel.

Thanks

EDIT: I FIXED IT!

After much research I managed to track down the problem and fix it. As I suspected it was a permissions problem that happened after i changed the file sharing options. I removed 'everyone' from my root folder access and this had an adverse effect on Bonjour - the mDNSResponder call.

I booted into single user mode and mounted, then changed the root permissions CHMOD 775 / . I then had to modify the system/library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist file and turn off the call.

If anyone needs details respond to this thread.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi! It looks like my problem is the same as yours. After messing up with the read/write permissions of my MacBook HD (specifically, allowing everyone to read/write the root), the laptop wouldn't boot anymore (stops at the gray screen with the little graphic loop). It looks like the HD is now in read-only so that's what the problem seems to be, although I can't be 100% sure since booting in single user mode is always read-only (is it?). Anyway I get the same message as you got when trying to boot in verbose mode: com.apple.launchd ... etc. ... mDNSResponder... no such file... etc.

So I was hoping you could guide me step by step to how you resolved it since my knowledge of unix is basically zero!

Thanks a million!

PS: i tried to do open system/library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist and it says _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed with error -10810 ..."

Hi All

I installed OSX86 flawlessly on my machine and had it running perfectly. I then installed updates to a few apps and then got a stuck in an launchd missing file loop. My knowledge of Unix is limited and so I re-installed everything and got it up and running. After installing the updates to a few apps (iLife, Final Cut Pro, MacOffice) I got the same horrible loop.

This is the error:

user-name-mac-pro com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder[22]): posix_spawnp(''/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder, ...): No such file or directory

I tried using every conceivable boot option. i've tried single user mode but I don't know what I'mlooking for or how to get read/write access. I've tried booting with the Kalyway DVD so i could use Disk Utility to fix permissions but it won't let me modify the disk. This is so frustrating as everything works so well and then falls over once I've installed the updates. The problem is I don't know which update is causing this problem.

My system is an Asus Commando, Intel Quad 6600 overclocked to 3.1 ghz, 2 gigs ram, Realtek network adapter (working) and basic sound is working. I'm running the vanilla kernel.

Thanks

After much research I managed to track down the problem and fix it. As I suspected it was a permissions problem that happened after i changed the file sharing options. I removed 'everyone' from my root folder access and this had an adverse effect on Bonjour - the mDNSResponder call.

I booted into single user mode and mounted, then changed the root permissions CHMOD 775 / . I then had to modify the system/library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist file and turn off the call.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Hi! It looks like my problem is the same as yours. After messing up with the read/write permissions of my MacBook HD (specifically, allowing everyone to read/write the root), the laptop wouldn't boot anymore (stops at the gray screen with the little graphic loop). It looks like the HD is now in read-only so that's what the problem seems to be, although I can't be 100% sure since booting in single user mode is always read-only (is it?). Anyway I get the same message as you got when trying to boot in verbose mode: com.apple.launchd ... etc. ... mDNSResponder... no such file... etc.

So I was hoping you could guide me step by step to how you resolved it since my knowledge of unix is basically zero!

Thanks a million!

PS: i tried to do open system/library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist and it says _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed with error -10810 ..."

Finally figured out a fix for my trouble of getting stuck at the gray loading screen. This post helped me deduce and search for needed help with the terminology used in this thread. I had a few ideas of why my macbook with leopard was messing up, but this clarified that me messing around with the permission settings was the cause. 

My steps to fix my mDNSResponder problem.

1) boot with [command+s key]

2) sbin/fsck -yf            (like man_bites_dog said, do it anyways)

3) sbin/mount -uw /

4) disable bonjour with "launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist"

You'll get an error message saying it could not unload, but this makes sense because your not doing it in the console with the os booted. So all is ok.

5)BOOT! and breath out when it passes the gray loading screen.

if you want to re enable the posted command line is:

"launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist"

Havnt tried reenableing as I just got my computer to work and I wanted to post this before I drift off into sleep or lazyness and never post what I just did. 

Hope this helps someone. 

• 2 weeks later...

T.H.A.N.K. Y.O.U. to have posted this item !!!

It works for me today !!

I was so disappointed to see the grey weehl... and thank's to you, it passed the Apple in grey, nd the wheel... and go to the blue screen... and then to the log window !!!

Bless you !!!

PS... Excuse my poor English... I'm French...

Elisabeth

Finally figured out a fix for my trouble of getting stuck at the gray loading screen. This post helped me deduce and search for needed help with the terminology used in this thread. I had a few ideas of why my macbook with leopard was messing up, but this clarified that me messing around with the permission settings was the cause. 

3) sbin/mount -uw /

4) disable bonjour with "launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist"

You'll get an error message saying it could not unload, but this makes sense because your not doing it in the console with the os booted. So all is ok.

Havnt tried reenableing as I just got my computer to work and I wanted to post this before I drift off into sleep or lazyness and never post what I just did. 

Hope this helps someone. 

Babonim Thank you

It fixed the problem of the grey screen with the Apple and the wheel... but, now, the screen turned to blue correctly.... but the wheel comes , and disappears, and come back... and the blue screen remains....

Can you help me or anybody ?

Many Thank's to all

Elisabeth

3) sbin/mount -uw /

Hope this helps someone. 

Babonim Thank you

It fixed the problem of the grey screen with the Apple and the wheel... but, now, the screen turned to blue correctly.... but the wheel comes , and disappears, and come back... and the blue screen remains....

Can you help me or anybody ?

Many Thank's to all

Elisabeth

if your video card has two outputs, connect your monitor to the other one and try booting into OSX.

Hello,

Thank's to your informations... but I have a MacBook Pro, and no "monitor", except the one... of my laptop...

I started with the DVD of installation, and did an SOS Disk.

When I wanted to check the authorizations, it can't do this, show me a window with a message I try to translate like :

"The under task signaled an failure at the close_up".... "La tache sous-jacente a signalé une erreur à la fermeture"... and impossible to go thru.

I opened the "key application" (named "Trousseau" in French), and check the authorisations, they are all OK.

... what can I do ?

Best regards

Elisabeth

• 1 month later...

Thanks a million!

I'm no techie at all, however, I too messed with the HD permissions for 'everyone', changing the permission from read only to none. The way I managed to get round the non booting mbp was to connect another mac to the Non-booting one via Firewire cable and turn on the Non-booting mac in Target mode (power up holding down 'T'). When the HD (that I'd messed with) showed up on the desktop of the spare mac, I CTRL/Right Clicked on the messed up HD and clicked 'get info', scrolled down to 'sharing and permissions', and changed the 'everyone' back to 'read only'.

IT WORKED.

sorry for the long winded, non tech description, but I hope it helps.

(I could not have reached this solution without the help of your narrative, so thank you very much!)

Stu

• 3 weeks later...

3) sbin/mount -uw /

Hope this helps someone. 

I did 4 steps but when i tried to "exit" boot my mac , he does nothing , just title "Logout"... sorry for my bad english.

Please help me.

• 8 months later...

Hello all,

I have had the same problem as described in the first post after stupidly removing some permissions in file sharing.

My fix was simple: boot in target mode (hold the T key while booting) and plug into another mac. From that other mac, mount the HD giving you trouble and Cmd-i it to get to the permissions at the bottom of the window.

Fix whatever is wrong there and reboot! Got it as far as SafeBoot mode for now (long boot, stick with the spinning thing for a full 2 minutes at least)

Hope it helps! Thanks to everyone here.

Bisondesprairies

• 1 month later...
Hi All

This is the error:

Thanks

Cheers