dsmos.kext, r2d2.kext, r3d3.kext, tmp.kext and old AppleDecrypt.kext

Guest BuildSmart

8 posts in this topic

Guest BuildSmart

People keep sending me e-mail asking about these extensions and most can't seem to grasp the concept that they are all illegal to distribute because of the way they are programmed.

They are illegal to distribute because they contain the decryption key and poem and can be examined using a hex-editor like 0xED which shows they are complete and intact.

If you remove the key and poem the files are legal to distribute however they become non-functional and require editing

The only legal file to distribute at this time is the latest AppleDecrypt.kext because it does not include the key or poem, the source is GNU-GPL and PsyStar is currently in possession of the source.

If you are in possession of a real Intel branded motherboard you have the luxury of using an extension called DecryptApple.kext which works from SMBIOS supplied data and is 1000% legal to own, distribute and use because it does not include or generate the key or poem, it's sole purpose is to move a block of memory from one location to another and their is nothing illegal in that.

The data is inserted into the SMBIOS table using a windows application called iAssist or by using Intel Integrator ToolKit.

With these applications you can configure the SMBIOS data to contain anything you want so that if any application accesses this data it will return the data you have inserted so if you have a badaxe or badaxe2 and a core 2 duo you could essentially insert iMac7,1 in the SMBIOS data table or if you had a badaxe2 and a Xeon 3060/3070 you could essentially insert MacPro2,1 and this would be returned by any call to extract the model from the SMBIOS table so fudging with the AppleSMBIOS.kext source is no longer required.

I just realize the benefits of branding based on hardware compatibility so don't be a fool and brand as a Mac Pro if you have a core 2 duo/core 2 quad processor, no Mac Pro came with a core 2 processors and it does matter if an update applies to a core 2 processor which is expected in an iMac and you fooled it into thinking it's a Mac Pro which has a Xeon and applies the wrong patch, be happy that you can experiment with the OS and stop bragging about how your machine reports itself as a Mac Pro.

Yes, Xeon processors will work in a badaxe2, dual cores are Xeon 3050, Xeon 3060 and Xeon 3070, quad cores are Xeon X3210, Xeon X3220 and Xeon X3230.

You can do the same thing with ASUS motherboards (P5W HD Deluxe has been verified to work) however the utilities to perform the equivalent take much longer since it requires more than one application to modify the SMBIOS data to achieve the functionality you seek.

Other board manufacturers may have asset management utilities to modify the SMBIOS data but I have not experimented with them so I would research your options before making any changes and document it so someone else with the same hardware can achieve the results without too much difficulty.

Ultimately you would be better off finding motherboard that is more compatible than one that is cheaply priced, yes cost is a tradeoff but the motherboard and CPU are going to be your major investments and the closer these are to the original the better of you will be in the long run.

Look for a motherboard that has sound working OOB, I hear reports that some of the ALC889 boards have working sound without patching and ethernet works by adding ID's, these are the boards that are more compatible, you can always change the ID's for the ethernet in BIOS so you don't have to edit files and with sound OOB all you need at that point is video and this can be done without any additional software through the use of device property injection and the nVidia 8400GS is a good example of no software required video solution.

Extremely interesting, so where can I get a copy of the source code for DecryptApple.kext/AppleDecrypt.kext

I don't have a Intel motherboard, but I do have the tools to edit the content of my SMBIOS.

Guest BuildSmart
Extremely interesting, so where can I get a copy of the source code for DecryptApple.kext/AppleDecrypt.kext

I don't have a Intel motherboard, but I do have the tools to edit the content of my SMBIOS.

PsyStart has the source for AppleDecrypt.kext and I should have the source for DecryptApple.kext within the next week.

What brand of motherboard and can you upload the tools somewhere?

• 1 month later...
PsyStart has the source for AppleDecrypt.kext and I should have the source for DecryptApple.kext within the next week.

What brand of motherboard and can you upload the tools somewhere?

Hey, did you get the source for DecryptApple.kext yet? I got an Intel mobo and would realy like to try it.

thx

Chris

• 7 months later...

Noob questions:

a) what's the "poem", I assume you're not talking about something that won the Nobel Prize for literature

:censored2: why is it illegal to distribute the key? While it may be illegal for someone to leak that key, once it's public, a key is just a piece of information that's not particularly protected, last I checked; can't really have a copyright on a bunch of letters and numbers. On the other hand, any tool for the purpose of bypassing a copyright protection mechanism may be illegal subject to DMCA provisions, regardless how it's achieved.

So while I don't doubt what you say here, I don't understand why and how, because these various extensions are shrouded in so many layers of secrecy.

I happen to have dsmos and AppleDecrypt, which is preferable to use (as vs. to distribute...), or is there yet another one I should use? This is for use on an Atom CPU based Netbook...

• 3 weeks later...
I just realize the benefits of branding based on hardware compatibility so don't be a fool and brand as a Mac Pro if you have a core 2 duo/core 2 quad processor, no Mac Pro came with a core 2 processors and it does matter if an update applies to a core 2 processor which is expected in an iMac and you fooled it into thinking it's a Mac Pro which has a Xeon and applies the wrong patch, be happy that you can experiment with the OS and stop bragging about how your machine reports itself as a Mac Pro.

Buildsmart, I see that you sell Q6600 equipped mobos, do you name them as Macpro's or iMac's?

• 3 weeks later...