BIOS modding

Jedric

58 posts in this topic

Thanks Jedric, I will give that a go, (any ideas where I can find a modified ver 1.1.1, I seem only to find 1.1.0).

I think I have just worked out why by manually editing the SMBios element of my Asus P5E3 Premium wifi@n bios does not effect what is shown in Geekbench. The settings are actually stored elsewhere on the motherboard and override what is actually in the bios itself. Even though I have edited the motherboard DMI, if I save the bios, the settings contained therein, are the original settings. This has the benefit of if you upgrade the bios, the modified settings remain and are independent of the bios itself. None of the manual edits I have tried with this particular bios are seen or change what has been changed by DMICFG.exe. So in simple terms, by using DMICFG.exe, I can get Geekbench to report all changes apart from the bios vendor id. Maybe that info can be saved and manually edited, I will look into that. This is what Geekbench currently reports:

results2.jpeg

The structure of the bios seems slightly different too and this may explain why AMCBCP.exe crashes when you try to open up this bios, as it finds that some elements are not in the exact place it is expecting.

AMIBCP is NOT the way to edit most of the older versions of BIOS's!

I have a ASUS P5B-Deluxe if you edit it in Windows with the new V8 Tools it allows the BIOS to be rewritten BUT constantly gives a BIOS corruption error!

You can however use "MyLogo2" to change the Large OEM Logo.

I found this version of MMTool and it allows to add and remove modules. MMTool_3.19_Mod_21FiX.rar (attached)

Also for those who want to know, the sneaky buggers at Intel did not put their Logo in the usual place.

They seemed to have put it in position "F0",

you can extract it with MMTool to your WinBlows Desktop, it will have no extension, rightclick on it and say open with Paint or Photopaint, just to check but it should be the correct one!

I checked 7 different BIOS's!

then change it and put it back or merely remove it from the setup in MMtool, that way it is out the way!

Regarding the OEM logo:

You can see it, as it is defined under ID "0E" and says OEM Logo.

Extract it to the same as the first one(different name of course),

Edit the existing one in Photopaint, DON'T "Save as" but just "Save", that way it will not have an extension!

Put it back with MMtool!!

Regarding the "Del" and "Tab" message:

You can set the Bios not to show the "Press Delete" message but there is No way of removing the "Press Tab" message. You will either have to hide it with a white border or try and make the writing black in DMICFG.exe. I'm not bothered so I'm not trying!

This MMtool guarantees no corruption

Have fun!

SticMAN

Hi Stickman,

MMTool is what I used to save the SMBios part, edit and replace them. However, none of the edits made manually show up when using DMICFG on the latest Asus boards in the bios itself.

Even though you can use DMICFG.exe to change what is reported, which DOES effect what is seen by Geekbench, it does not change what is written to the bios. I have checked that by making changes with DMICFG, saving the bios then opening it up with MMTool and the SMBios part of the bios remains unchanged. Also, reflashing the bios with the standard Asus bios leaves my modified settings unchanged.

Same here, whatever I've changed with DMICFG is not shown in MMTool but is "permanent" on the BIOS, so even if you upgrade the BIOS, the settings stays!

StiCMAN

Hi Stickman,

MMTool is what I used to save the SMBios part, edit and replace them. However, none of the edits made manually show up when using DMICFG on the latest Asus boards in the bios itself.

Even though you can use DMICFG.exe to change what is reported, which DOES effect what is seen by Geekbench, it does not change what is written to the bios. I have checked that by making changes with DMICFG, saving the bios then opening it up with MMTool and the SMBios part of the bios remains unchanged. Also, reflashing the bios with the standard Asus bios leaves my modified settings unchanged.

Same here, whatever I've changed with DMICFG is not shown in MMTool but is "permanent" on the BIOS, so even if you upgrade the BIOS, the settings stays!

StiCMAN

This is my understanding as well, DMI is independent. Which is good, as you dont have to change your DMI everytime you load a new BIOS. Thats why I was bold enough to try changing it. I tried to change the info on SMBIOS module but my I had some freezing during boot post.

Thanks Jedric, I will give that a go, (any ideas where I can find a modified ver 1.1.1, I seem only to find 1.1.0).

Aqua same here I could only find 1.1.0, I have PMed "The King" and asked him the link to get it.

For those who are interested in removing the "Press tab to display BIOS POST message"

I found the module. Its Module21 "Multi Language". Extract it using MMTool and do a hex edit. I haven't done any test or editing. I Just found it.

post-178892-1224429620_thumb.jpg

First things first.... I have removed the intel logo successfully as per SticMan's instruction. Just remove the F0 module in MMtool. One thing to note is to use the MMTool ver 3.19Mod21fix. Version below this does not allow you to delete, add/insert or replace modules.

One more good new is the possibility of MAC/Apple "chime" on boot post. Now i'm all excited :) I know lots of guys would love this.

Here's what I did.

I downloaded the BIOS for Asus laptop F3Jv. This laptop has a chime option on post. I added .rom extension.

The BIOS of FJ3v can be opened with AMIBCP which is great.

I used the MMTool and found module "FA" contains the chime. Its a wave file. I extracted it and rename to .wav and it played on windows sound recorder.

Now for some help. Would anyone care to try applying the suggestions on http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ul...c;f=52;t=000132 on adding New Item and New Labels in the BIOS. Most of us can't open our BIOS in AMIBCP so this would be the long way of doing it.

I don't have module FA in my BIOS, so im assuming its straight insert using MMTool. Just edit the wav file using sound editor and replace it with the Mac/Apple chime.

post-178892-1224471021_thumb.jpg

post-178892-1224471042_thumb.jpg

fa.wav

Mac_Startup.mp3

Adding the module FA to the bios doesn't make it play the sound! We will have to look into adding the BIOS options for enabling the sound as in the F3Jv rom. I would like to but I'm busy, the Wife just slapped a Acer Aspire One 150 on my desk and said: " Here, see if you can make this work" ;)

I've made the Mac_Startup sound file into a small enough wav for you to insert. It has no extension but it is a wav file, the Bios has no prob if it is smaller but hates it if it is bigger!

StiCMAN

• 3 weeks later...

I want to replace the OEM Logo of my MSI Neo2-FR P35. I thought I could remove the Intel Logo and take a BMP with a white background. But I am not sure wether if it works with my BIOS or not. I have an already modified BIOS to use multicore.

Any advice?

I want to replace the OEM Logo of my MSI Neo2-FR P35. I thought I could remove the Intel Logo and take a BMP with a white background. But I am not sure wether if it works with my BIOS or not. I have an already modified BIOS to use multicore.

Any advice?

There's actually 3 logo's in the AMI BIOS. The AMI logo which is the 1A module, the full screen logo by the MB manufacturer which is the 0E module and the intel logo which is the F0.

What BIOS do you have? If its AMI then you can try the attached. You can replace 1A and 0E. For the F0 just follow SticMan's procedure.

BIOS Requirements

The loaded BIOS ROM file should have the followings:

The file MUST be an AMIBIOS ROM file (Core version 8.xx.xx only)

Large OEM Logo module (Module ID 0x0E) to be present

Small OEM Logo module (Module ID 0x1A) to be present

Quiet Boot function should be inside.

New Logo File Requirements

The Change OEM Logo Utility requires that the new Logo file fit the following format:

16-Color Bitmap format, even width, 640*480 pixels (Maximum)

256-Color Bitmap format, even width, 640*480 pixels (Maximum)

256-Color PCX format, even width, 640*480 pixels (Maximum)

True-Color JPG format, even width, 640*480/800*600/1024*768 pixels (Maximum)

WARNING: "DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK."

OEMLOGO.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I moded the boot screen and took out the "Press tab to display BIOS POST message" from the multilanguage module. Also I removed the 'Intel' logo (module F0). all with MMtool. I tryed the OEMLOGO.exe to replace the screen but the modded BIOS will allways show CMOS setup error at boot. With MMTool theres no problem at all.

I changed the DMI information as well, to match a MacPro1,1 with DMIFCG. The info didnt show right on the program itself (showed some wierd characters instead) but all was there when I checked with CrystalDMI. Unfortunately vanilla SMBIOS doesnt pick the info by itself so I still need to use an injector. Geekbench picks all without problem thou...

Thanks for sharing this!

I moded the boot screen and took out the "Press tab to display BIOS POST message" from the multilanguage module. Also I removed the 'Intel' logo (module F0). all with MMtool. I tryed the OEMLOGO.exe to replace the screen but the modded BIOS will allways show CMOS setup error at boot. With MMTool theres no problem at all.

I changed the DMI information as well, to match a MacPro1,1 with DMIFCG. The info didnt show right on the program itself (showed some wierd characters instead) but all was there when I checked with CrystalDMI. Unfortunately vanilla SMBIOS doesnt pick the info by itself so I still need to use an injector. Geekbench picks all without problem thou...

Thanks for sharing this!

Whats brand is your MB? Extract your original logo using OEMLOGO.EXE. In photoshop(if you dont have one just download GIMP) and compare the properties/attributes of the image ie. color, size, etc. and make your new image the same.

when you took out the "Press tab to display BIOS POST message" did you get a full screen logo?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hello, i'm trying to remove the intel logo from this bios (see attached file) and also to customize the fullscreen logo (splash image). I was unable to find any BIOS editor wich works with this BIOS, can anybody help me?

many thanks in advance,

The attached file does not help. Who is the manufacturer of the BIOS you have? AMI, AWARD, Phoenix?

I'm sorry, i forgot to mention it. It's an AMI BIOS, American Megratrends

tools can be found here:

http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ul...c;f=52;t=000004

you can use the MMtool to remove the intel logo. Just go thru this thread and you will find instructions from Sticman/SticMAC.

There also a logo tool in Tool_8_RC1.rar to customize/replace the fullscreen logo.

tools can be found here:

http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ul...c;f=52;t=000004

you can use the MMtool to remove the intel logo. Just go thru this thread and you will find instructions from Sticman/SticMAC.

There also a logo tool in Tool_8_RC1.rar to customize/replace the fullscreen logo.

Many thanks for replying Jedric, i've tried all versions of MMTool in the page that you have suggested but all of them gives me the same error. Have you tried opening my attached file? I've readed this complete thread and followed the instructions but no luck...

regards,

• 1 month later...
Many thanks for replying Jedric, i've tried all versions of MMTool in the page that you have suggested but all of them gives me the same error. Have you tried opening my attached file? I've readed this complete thread and followed the instructions but no luck...

regards,

I looked at the attached file and I cant open that either, how did you save that file? what model is you motherboard? best way is to get a new BIOS from the manufacturer and edit that and replace the one on your mb.

I looked at the attached file and I cant open that either, how did you save that file? what model is you motherboard? best way is to get a new BIOS from the manufacturer and edit that and replace the one on your mb.

It's a BIOS from an Medion Akoya Mini netbook. I don't kwnow the motherboard model, the BIOS was downloaded from the manufacturer site...

regards,

It's a BIOS from an Medion Akoya Mini netbook. I don't kwnow the motherboard model, the BIOS was downloaded from the manufacturer site...

regards,

Can you post a direct link to the manufacturers site. Are you sure its AMI?