BIOS modding

Jedric

58 posts in this topic

For those who are brave, found a good site for BIOS MB mod.

http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ul...t=000049#000000

What I plan to do are:

Change manufacturer logo with Apple splash

Remove small intel logo in splash in bottom right hand side.

Remove Post massage "Press Tab to display post message" on bottom left hand side.

Add startup sound - if all possible.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk, I'm not resposible for any changes you made on you system.

• 2 months later...

Ok I finally got rid of Hackintosh in Geekbench :D . This is the closest I can get to the real MacPro1,1. Its MacPro 1,1 since its the closest that resemble my system, First gen Mac pro with 4 cores 2.66 GHz. Mine is still running @ 2.4GHz. and will be OC later.

I edited the DMI using DMICFG.exe(courtesy of Stikman). No OSX cosmetic work so far.

Still working on full screen Apple boot logo.

post-178892-1224010644_thumb.jpg

post-178892-1224011115_thumb.png

post-178892-1224011122_thumb.png

post-178892-1224011128_thumb.png

post-178892-1224011137_thumb.png

Here you go folks.

There's nothing to it Really.

Just download the DMICFG.EXE here on Stikmans thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=35831

Its a DOS based program and its for AWARD but it worked on my AMI BIOS.

NOTE: Make sure you back-up or do a print-out of you DMI settings just in case you want to revert back. Just Google "CrystalDMI" just copy your settings on a notepad or something....

Boot up in DOS. Yes DOS.... not windows DOS prompt.

Run the DMICFG and edit the following according to the way you want it. (You can go to Geekbench site and copy the info of the Mac Pro Early 2008 if you like)

-Bios Information

Bios Vendor (Seems to be read-only) on almost all MB.

BIOS Version

-System Information (This is for the System profiler)

Manufacturer

Product Name

Version(does nothing really)

Serial Number

-Base Board(This is for your Motherboard info)

Manufacturer

Product

Serial Number

Optional

-System Enclosure or Chassis

Manufacturer

Serial Number

The serial number is picked up by OSX system profiler propely from the DMI. Just have an issue on my CPU speed not sure why its showing 3.8GHz but its already doing that even before the DMIEDIT. Must be my AppleSMBIOS.kext.

It edits the DMi on the bios directly!

One word of advice If you are planning to do ANY of the Logo editing do it before you edit the DMI as the software you install in WindBlows ONLY install if it can verify the Board manufacturer! In my case ASUS! So write down everything you change just incase

It reads everything from the BIOS, so using vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext even the serial number from the G5 I used for my MOD!

Getting rid of the Intel logo is not that easy so for no my ASUS starts up like this:

You can set the BIOS NOT to show the DEL, TAB prompt......

SticMAN

Hey, Thanx a lot!

Just a question:

It works directly on the already loaded on-board BIOS, or on a BIOS bin file?

Fixed it!!!

I got rid of that UGLY blue and white Intel logo.....

You can change it to something if you want, or replace it with a black box(if you use a black background Or just remove it completely leaving the screen to be filled by the OEM logo!

According to the BIOS mod pages the logo is supposed to be at a certain module ID but on my P5B-Deluxe I found it to sneaked in under something else!(cheeky bastards these Intel Boys) So, out it went!

Fixed it!!!

I got rid of that UGLY blue and white Intel logo.....

You can change it to something if you want, or replace it with a black box(if you use a black background Or just remove it completely leaving the screen to be filled by the OEM logo!

According to the BIOS mod pages the logo is supposed to be at a certain module ID but on my P5B-Deluxe I found it to sneaked in under something else!(cheeky bastards these Intel Boys) So, out it went!

Excellent.... you beat me to it.

Can you post how you removed it?

Another thing I wanted to remove was the "press tab to display bios post message" and do a full screen apple logo.

I was trying to do it using amibcp but it every time I open the BIOS amibcp crashes.

Excellent.... you beat me to it.

Can you post how you removed it?

Another thing I wanted to remove was the "press tab to display bios post message" and do a full screen apple logo.

I was trying to do it using amibcp but it every time I open the BIOS amibcp crashes.

Be careful with AMIBCP ( AMIBCP313 ), I've been using it, with some models, like MSI, it corrupts the bios for some reason. though I've not had any problems with ASRock or ASUS bios so far.

Be careful with AMIBCP ( AMIBCP313 ), I've been using it, with some models, like MSI, it corrupts the bios for some reason. though I've not had any problems with ASRock or ASUS bios so far.

So you are able to open BIOS for Asus? im using the same version 313 but when I open the BIOS file amibcp crashes. Im running winxp sp3. What OS are you running?

So you are able to open BIOS for Asus? im using the same version 313 but when I open the BIOS file amibcp crashes. Im running winxp sp3. What OS are you running?

I'm using Vista Ultimate SP1, I can open some of ASUS, but not all. I have the same problem as well with it crashing.

Open AMIBCP for Windows v3.13 and load your .Rom, now select the DMI String Tab ( Second tab from Last )

This is an ex. for a MacPro, If you search Geekbench, you can find other Models for MacBooK and MacBook Pro, then just add in there Mac Model & Board Model.

Okay with the Table ( DMI )

Type ( 0 )

Apple Inc.

MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410

( 09/03/2008 ) This is my date for bios, add yours here

TYPE ( 1 )

Apple Inc.

MacPro1,1

MacPro

Add your Serial # here

Type ( 2 )

Apple Inc.

Mac-F4208DC8

PVT

Add your Serial # here

*EDIT*

It seems that AMIBCP is the only way to edit the Bios Vendor At the Moment ;)

If you look at the link in my next 2 replies, it show that my Bios is Made by Apple ;)

Hope this help, But Aqua has an excellent guide as well :)

Thanks,

-Omn

OriginalMACNUT Have you tried removing the "press tab to display bios post message" Display on post? I want to remove this message, however I want still want to be able to press tab and see the post so just the message itself that I want gone. I want to do a full screen logo same as the one in mac when booting. Mylogo2 in Asus cuts the logo and puts that message at the bottom. If only I can AMIBCP does not crash....

Here are Pics. Found the Problem though, If I tried using the (MacPro3,1) & MB ( Mac-F4208CC8 Proto1 ) I would get hackintosh from geekbench, with the older Mac MB set. Everything is clean and how it should be ( Can I really say SHould* ) lol

Thanks.

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/82364

Bottom Pic shows it can be set :) Just not in DMICFG :)

Picture1-7.png

Picture2-3.png

IMG_2290.jpg

I was getting the same thing if I used MacPro3,1. No matter what I do it keeps showing hackintosh. I PM John the developer of Geekbench and asked about how Geekbench detects the system? if its thru DMI? he said that Geekbench looks at the whole system and Geekbench is hard to fool, but the closer your system to the real mac, it can be done. So I decided to try the MacPro 1,1 which was a success. Close enough anyway original Mac Pro just says MacPro not MacPro1,1. Im happy with mine, my goal is just to get rid of the hackintosh. :D.

OMN Im interested in changing the BIOS vendor from AMI to Apple. I opened my whole BIOS in Hex editor as you suggested to Aquamac but I could not find American Megatrend Inc. ascii. same. I looked at your BIOS and it was the same no Apple Inc that I could find. Am I missing something. I'm using Hex Workshop.