Ralink RT61 mac driver development effort

Andy Vandijck

36 posts in this topic

so, everyone says the driver provided at ralink's site doesn't work,

and some says it is PPC based (?). How can I tell? Why would they release a driver for Leopard (10.5) that is only PPC based and there is no mention of it in the README? this is really beyond me.

• 2 weeks later...
so, everyone says the driver provided at ralink's site doesn't work,

and some says it is PPC based (?). How can I tell? Why would they release a driver for Leopard (10.5) that is only PPC based and there is no mention of it in the README? this is really beyond me.

If your RT61 chipset is on a cardbus then I think some people have had success.. but if it on a PCI card it wont work because Real Intel Macs dont have PCI slots.. only PCI-E slots.. so Ralink will probably never write a driver for us.. 10.5 was still available for PPC so Ralink updated the driver without intel support for RT61.. our only hope is that someone with enough knowledge and expertise is willing to write a new driver..

We've been waiting a long time so think its best to just buy another wifi card that is supported

• 2 weeks later...

first of all.. why are you trying to port the linux driver to mac and not port the ppc driver that already exist to intel?

and second osx does not suport pci cards by default but sees them and still can use them... and with the right kext they would even show up in System Profiler..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Has there been any progress on this driver?

AFAICT:

If you have an RT2561/RT61 PCI card on an Intel machine (not PPC) then there is currently no way to get your card working.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to be wrong!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

for those who wait till the ketchup comes out.^

for those who live in reality v

www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9307

just add a laptop mini pci (not mini pci-Express!!) broadcom 4311 or 4322 or 4318 (with macsmart broadcom trick

P.S. for pci-e adapter goto www.hwtools.net and look at mp2w

• 1 month later...