[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Hello Fellas!

I have just about everything working on my Dell M1530 2.5ghz, 4gb ram, ALPS, 8600gt video... Im FULLY UPDATED to 10.6.5 and all software is up to date. Im using Chameleon RC5 629. No dual boot...just osx. Wow..I just said that lol, been a PC person along time.

There is only one thing I havent been able to fix, and one that im just unsure about.

1.) Track pad 2 finger scrolling, and stopping the cursor jumping on my ALPS touchpad. Ive tried using several voodoops2controllers from this and other threads but still no go. Im sure I dont have any other PS2 kexts laying around as this is an uber clean install. (10 installs later ive gotten it down to a science with these exceptions lol). Currently Im using Voodoops2controller and the mouse works well however no scrolling whatsoever. At one point with a different Voodoops2 version scrolling would work if I took 2 fingers and pressed really hard and rolled down but that was nearly unusable.

2.) Im not sure if Quartz Extreme is running (ive enabled via osx86 tools, but when I click on it again to check the tools crashes. ALSO, how do I check if Speed Stepping is working?

Has anyone tried undervolting their m1530?

Im really Appreciative of everyones help and efforts!

Vj Kevlar

Hello Fellas!

I have just about everything working on my Dell M1530 2.5ghz, 4gb ram, ALPS, 8600gt video... Im FULLY UPDATED to 10.6.5 and all software is up to date. Im using Chameleon RC5 629. No dual boot...just osx. Wow..I just said that lol, been a PC person along time.

There is only one thing I havent been able to fix, and one that im just unsure about.

1.) Track pad 2 finger scrolling, and stopping the cursor jumping on my ALPS touchpad. Ive tried using several voodoops2controllers from this and other threads but still no go. Im sure I dont have any other PS2 kexts laying around as this is an uber clean install. (10 installs later ive gotten it down to a science with these exceptions lol). Currently Im using Voodoops2controller and the mouse works well however no scrolling whatsoever. At one point with a different Voodoops2 version scrolling would work if I took 2 fingers and pressed really hard and rolled down but that was nearly unusable.

2.) Im not sure if Quartz Extreme is running (ive enabled via osx86 tools, but when I click on it again to check the tools crashes. ALSO, how do I check if Speed Stepping is working?

Has anyone tried undervolting their m1530?

Im really Appreciative of everyones help and efforts!

Vj Kevlar

1) I´m using the VoodooPS2Controller.kext from talisman´s snow.zip package and the according prefpane.

2) If you´ve got Quartz working the bar on top of your screen should be transparent. Also, under System Profiler you should have the correct values for Graphics, like 256mb VRAM.

3) For speedstepping, install Coolbook and look if the clock of your processor changes if you increase the load etc.

Thanks for the quick reply!

1.) I have tried and also tried it again still same. Mouse works smoothly, Tapping always annoyingly on, no scrolling whatsoever, the trackpad pref pane doesnt effect cursor in any way...NORMAL mouse pref does effect cursor speed... Voodoops2pref pane gives synamptecs or whatever message.

2.) Well my top bar isn't transparent and also I read elsewhere is your QE is working, the dashboard will use an effect to come on screen, mine doesn't. SO i tried checking again in OSX86 and I got this error " APPLESCRIPT Can’t make "The domain/default pair of (com.apple.windowserver, QuartzGLEnabled) does not exist" into type boolean. (-1700 "

3.) Speed stepping not top of the list will check later.

4.) I decided to GeekBench this machine as well to see if I could gain performance as I tweaked. I noticed Geekbench was displaying 2.49 GHZ processor and memory speed of 664, it should be 2.5ghz and 667mhz for memory speed. I did a geekbench anyway.

Then I changed my Smbios and com.apple files and that corrected the spvd and memory speed HOWEVER, my Geekbench score went down by almost a 100 points!!! Crazy. I am using Geekbench 32bit (unregistered). Any ideas?

Priorities: 1.) Mouse Fixed, 2.) QUARTZ EXTREME, 3.) PERFORMANCE / PROPER GHZ display?

Thanks in advance for your input and help.

Kev

Nobody? Im not a hackin-noob....ive tried many PS2 controller kexts but pretty much same results.

This QE issues is strange as well....Performance of video seems to be ok but the transparent bar at top and the non liquid effect of the dashboard makes me think im not 100% on performance.

Also, this more GHZ in "ABOUT THIS MAC" = to less Benchmark points in GEEKBENCH is way strange.

K

• 2 weeks later...
Nobody? Im not a hackin-noob....ive tried many PS2 controller kexts but pretty much same results.

This QE issues is strange as well....Performance of video seems to be ok but the transparent bar at top and the non liquid effect of the dashboard makes me think im not 100% on performance.

Also, this more GHZ in "ABOUT THIS MAC" = to less Benchmark points in GEEKBENCH is way strange.

K

follow the instructions on immo's thread. You'll find the link in my sig. Search m1330 dsdt. Everything works fine for me though I eschew the voodoops2, don't care about 2 finger scrolling.

follow the instructions on immo's thread. You'll find the link in my sig. Search m1330 dsdt. Everything works fine for me though I eschew the voodoops2, don't care about 2 finger scrolling.

Thanks for the reply. Im actually on a m1530 and im using the m1530 dsdt. Are you suggesting I use the 1330 dsdt for my m1530?

I would really like more control over my Alps touchpad and unfortunately the voodoo controller doesnt seem to work on my system even after trying various versions.

Kev

Thanks for the reply. Im actually on a m1530 and im using the m1530 dsdt. Are you suggesting I use the 1330 dsdt for my m1530?

I would really like more control over my Alps touchpad and unfortunately the voodoo controller doesnt seem to work on my system even after trying various versions.

Kev

Sorry if this has already been established but what version of OSX are you running? I might be able to help with getting VoodooPS2 working for you...

• 3 weeks later...

Kev

Try these for the trackpad. Install the kexts in /E/E and the pref pane in /S/L/PrefPane. Rebuils extension.mkext in /E/ and you should be good to go.

Trackpad Kexts

Kev

no of course not. just suggesting following immo guide for 1530, which is easy to find with the search I suggested. You should be sorted with the stuff talisman pointed you to.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I hope someone can help, I am SO close... but I've been at this for a week now with a couple dozen hours invested and am close to giving up.

I have an M1530 w/nVidia, T9300, 4gig and a Dell wireless card. I'm using iATKOS S3 V2. I can get a vanilla OSX up and running. Sound works, wireless works, my trackpad works. But as soon as I make any changes (I will elaborate below), it will no longer boot and gives an error related to RTC. I installed with Chameleon 2.0 RC5 and RTC-32. Once I get that error, the only way to boot is using arch=i386 -legacy, but when I do that, the trackpad no longer works.

I first started out by using Brett's DSDT, and rebooted. And it worked. Video was correct resolution, everything was working properly, then as soon as I rebooted, I got that RTC error, and the only way I could get things working again was to reinstall.

So then I did another vanilla install, rebooted several times to make sure it would boot, and this time all I did was to add one kext for VoodooHDA to the Extra/Extensions directory and the same thing happened. I booted with legacy, got into terminal using only the keyboard (trackpad doesnt work) and deleted the kext, but the problem didn't go away.

I'm not sure why it's working with i386 -legacy, I installed with RTC-32 and com.apple.boot.plist already has <key>arch</key><string>i386</string> in it. I have not edited any files after the vanilla install, I merely downloaded the kext and copied it. I've tried booting ignoring caches as well.

Here's a screenshot of the RTC error. Please please please, I've spent hours and days googling and reinstalling and I've come so far on my own, but now I'm stuck and I need help from you experts. Any help greatly appreciated!

1297639139-photo-jpg-1695kb.jpg

Hi all, I hope someone can help, I am SO close... but I've been at this for a week now with a couple dozen hours invested and am close to giving up.

I have an M1530 w/nVidia, T9300, 4gig and a Dell wireless card. I'm using iATKOS S3 V2. I can get a vanilla OSX up and running. Sound works, wireless works, my trackpad works. But as soon as I make any changes (I will elaborate below), it will no longer boot and gives an error related to RTC. I installed with Chameleon 2.0 RC5 and RTC-32. Once I get that error, the only way to boot is using arch=i386 -legacy, but when I do that, the trackpad no longer works.

I first started out by using Brett's DSDT, and rebooted. And it worked. Video was correct resolution, everything was working properly, then as soon as I rebooted, I got that RTC error, and the only way I could get things working again was to reinstall.

So then I did another vanilla install, rebooted several times to make sure it would boot, and this time all I did was to add one kext for VoodooHDA to the Extra/Extensions directory and the same thing happened. I booted with legacy, got into terminal using only the keyboard (trackpad doesnt work) and deleted the kext, but the problem didn't go away.

I'm not sure why it's working with i386 -legacy, I installed with RTC-32 and com.apple.boot.plist already has <key>arch</key><string>i386</string> in it. I have not edited any files after the vanilla install, I merely downloaded the kext and copied it. I've tried booting ignoring caches as well.

Here's a screenshot of the RTC error. Please please please, I've spent hours and days googling and reinstalling and I've come so far on my own, but now I'm stuck and I need help from you experts. Any help greatly appreciated!

1297639139-photo-jpg-1695kb.jpg

Quit fooling around with "distros" like iAtkos. Shell out $100 for a retail OSX DVD and follow immo's guide. This is the advice you'll get from most people on this forum.

Many, many people have done a successful install following this path without wasting hours like you have.

• 2 months later...
Step 9.

From the location of where the bootloader.zip was extracted run the following commands;

1. sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX - where X is your disk (as can be found in the Information tab from Step 4.)

2. sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY - where X is your disk and Y is the partition (as above from Step 4.)

We have just installed the Chameleon Boot loader 2 RC1

Step 10.

Almost done with building the key / disk. We need to remove a specific kext from /System/Library/Extensions, this will cause a Kernel Panic if it is there. The kext is /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext, remove the whole directory, we don't want it or need it.

Unfortunately this will mean that the DVD drive will not work. Some people say that you can put in an older 10.5 version of this and run in 32bit mode and it works, but I still get a Kernel Panic so don't worry about it and just run 64bit mode without the DVD.

I made an image of my retail OS X 10.6 DVD and did the "restore" step from that. I followed the steps as well as I could. I restored onto an external hard disk that is connected via USB.

Re: Step 9:

I tried my best, but I'm not sure I did it right. I searched for a way to run a command "from" the right location, and found nothing. (I'm using a Mac on this.)

So, I opened a terminal window and typed "cd " (for "change directory"?) followed by the folder name to try to get to the right location. I then pasted the commands one at a time.

The first one asked for my password, then brought be back to the command prompt.

The second one gave me some feedback, something about "2 in and 2 out..."

My problem with the next step (#10) may be related to me not doing step 9 correctly.

Re: Step 10:

I cannot find any folders on the newly created OSX86 drive that are named either System or Library, so I cannot find the kext needs to be removed. ???

Sorry to be such a noob. Can anyone offer me any help or advice?

• 2 weeks later...
I made an image of my retail OS X 10.6 DVD and did the "restore" step from that. I followed the steps as well as I could. I restored onto an external hard disk that is connected via USB.

Re: Step 9:

I tried my best, but I'm not sure I did it right. I searched for a way to run a command "from" the right location, and found nothing. (I'm using a Mac on this.)

So, I opened a terminal window and typed "cd " (for "change directory"?) followed by the folder name to try to get to the right location. I then pasted the commands one at a time.

The first one asked for my password, then brought be back to the command prompt.

The second one gave me some feedback, something about "2 in and 2 out..."

My problem with the next step (#10) may be related to me not doing step 9 correctly.

Re: Step 10:

I cannot find any folders on the newly created OSX86 drive that are named either System or Library, so I cannot find the kext needs to be removed. ???

Sorry to be such a noob. Can anyone offer me any help or advice?

Why are you following instructions from something posted in 2009?

OK. now with the help. The good news is you have a retail OSX disc, at least you're not trying to use "distros". My advice is to start over. Go to immo's thread linked in my signature and follow the instructions there using a generic DSDT for your machine. Literally dozens of people have done this if not hundreds without problems. Be sure to read the first post carefully. I recommend using the SuperHai bootCD (also linked in my signature). You don't need to generate or modify a DSDT for a m1330 or m1530, you can use the "anyCPU" dsdt.aml files there. If you get in trouble look around in the posts there before posting and you'll get help.