[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

with snow leopard in system profile for graphics/displays the QE/CI features are not listed anymore

so you cant tell if QE/CI is working or not

hope this is some help to you all

Raptor123

If you have a transparent menubar or if you check Dashboard, drop a widget and you get a ripple = QE/CI is working :)

why when you fix one problem another one turns up

since updating to chameleon 2.0 rc3-658 my shutdown and restart dont work anymore

has anyone any ideas

Thanks

Raptor123

On most Nvidia graphics card laptops, if you enable QI/CE/OpenGL/OpenCL whatever... then chances are that you WILL loose reboot/shutdown. At least it is like that for a lot of people. If you don't use accelerated graphics drivers or if you have an Intel graphics card, then you can reboot/shutdown just fine...

I hope someone will put their genius to use and figure it out... I'm not smart enuf for this on :P

Hi donkey. Thanks all your help. Without you i'm still playing with my usb stick and now i have a nice SL on my laptop.

The boot now working with your help (Chameleon 2 RC3) but the DVD still not ok with this (IOATAFamily) solution.

Thanks again and again...

Try the file that I've attached. Make sure that your kext IOATAFamily.kext has been delete in /S/L/E.

Move the one I attached to /Extra/Extensions

Use kext utility to rebuild and repair extensions. This one might work for you...

IOATAFamily.kext.zip

ok, I have a M1530 with the following config:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/800MHzFSB, 6M L2 Cache)

Marvell Yukon 88E8040 Network Adapter

15.4 inch Full Hi Definition Wide Screen WUXGA 1920X1200

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB

250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Mat{censored}a BD-RE Drive

SigmaTel 9205 High Definition Audio 2.2

Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card

Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (2.0+EDR)

I am trying vanilla with Leopard 10.5.6

I am able to install OS X just fine. the trackpad does not work though, but keyboard does, and I am having problems installing Chameleon RC2 and PCEFI V9.

after I install those and open up the terminal and type the following commands:

sudo chown root:admin /boot

sudo chmod 755 /boot

I reboot the computer and it just hangs at the white apple loading page with the black circle rotating, but nothing it just hangs there.

Any ideas or help with this would be appreciated!

Can anyone please help

ok, I have a M1530 with the following config:

Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (2.0+EDR)

I am trying vanilla with Leopard 10.5.6

I am able to install OS X just fine. the trackpad does not work though, but keyboard does, and I am having problems installing Chameleon RC2 and PCEFI V9.

after I install those and open up the terminal and type the following commands:

sudo chown root:admin /boot

sudo chmod 755 /boot

I reboot the computer and it just hangs at the white apple loading page with the black circle rotating, but nothing it just hangs there.

Any ideas or help with this would be appreciated!

Can anyone please help

The first thing anyone should do is read the thread... these issues have been discussed before. Along with what to do when you get the rotating circle. To simply it for you:

1) boot with -V. It will allow you to see if you're getting any errors and what's causing it. Take a picture of it and post it because a rotating circle isn't much help.

2) Are you installing Chameleon 2 RC and then replacing the boot file from Chameleon with PCEFI v9?? If so, then that's mabe the reason why you're having boot problems. PCEFI v9 works well but in my experience you have to use an earlier version of Chameleon. I will attach it if you would like the PCEFI v9 installer.

3) Trackpad issues, look at the files. This one only works for LEOPARD, not Snow Leopard. Open /VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns

Delete trackapd kext

Drop this one (or replace... the file name should be the same)

Repair Permission with Kext Utility.

VoodooPS2TrackpadAlps.kext.zip

M1530 DSDT.aml File

does anyone have a DSDT.aml file for the following M1530 Specs:

Dell Wirless 355 Bluetooth Module (2.0+EDR).

im using chameleon 1.0.12 boot loader, that seems to be working fine, but I think its the DSDT file that is not a correct setup.

I have a DSDT.aml file that I downloaded, but dont think it is correct for my machine. since upon boot up in -v here is a screenshot of my boot. if I am wrong about the file, or anything else please let me know!

dscn1207.jpg

M1530 DSDT.aml File

im using chameleon 1.0.12 boot loader, that seems to be working fine, but I think its the DSDT file that is not a correct setup.

I have a DSDT.aml file that I downloaded, but dont think it is correct for my machine. since upon boot up in -v here is a screenshot of my boot. if I am wrong about the file, or anything else please let me know!

dscn1207.jpg

here are my specs

CPU: Intel Core 2Duo 2.20Ghz 4MB Cache T7500

Hard Drive: 200GB

Memory: 2GB

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 8600m GT 256MB

Display: 15.4" 1440x900

Audio: Sigmatel 92xx

Ethernet: Marvel Yukon 10/100/1000 88e804y

Wireless: Dell Truemobile 1490

Bluetooth

2.0 MP Camera

Fingerprint Reader

DVD Drive - Slot Type

i generated my own DSDT.aml file using dsdt patcher gui 1.0 from an leopard 10.5.2 installation on a partition of my xps m1530

i will post a link here and you can try it - your specs are only different to mine in that the cpus are different

DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0.zip

dsdt.zip

M1530 DSDT.aml File

Almost exactly my config....

DSDT_m1530_8600GT_T9300.zip

Almost exactly my config....

Which is pretty close to mine as well. Biggest difference between yours and my DSDT is I don't bother with any of the SSDT tables in there anymore. I'm still getting vanilla speedsteep, just no C-States.

I notice in your sig you say you've got the correct MAC for the Yukon, is this for SL or the older Leopard install? I tried the old hex edit trick on the SL Yukon kext to no avail...

Cheers

Brett

Which is pretty close to mine as well. Biggest difference between yours and my DSDT is I don't bother with any of the SSDT tables in there anymore. I'm still getting vanilla speedsteep, just no C-States.

I notice in your sig you say you've got the correct MAC for the Yukon, is this for SL or the older Leopard install? I tried the old hex edit trick on the SL Yukon kext to no avail...

Cheers

Brett

I was able to get the correct mac address as well. I followed the directions on the fix thread. Look at this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1263239

I couldn't get it working before but after this it worked... I had to get the correct mac address from a windows install.

My /Extras/

IMPORTANT INFO:

The DSDT.aml in this folder is for only M1530 with a Intel T9500 2.6ghz CPU. It includes SpeedStep, HDef (VoodooHDA) and Nvidia 8600m GT Fix with HDMI out. Thanks to timmyj9. I hope he will add IOATA fix, ethernet fix and c-states :(

UUID.kext

Open info.plist and insert your lan UUID

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190066

VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext

Is modified for ALPS trackpad.

In addition to these kexts, I also moved IOATAFamily IONertworkingFamily.kext (with modified hex & plist edit Yukon.kext) and IO80211Family.kext to /Extras/Extensions.

VoodooHDA goes to /S/L/E.

Thanks to Slice from ProjectOSX.

For 9205/9228, use to following note patch. Place in /VoodooHDA/Contents/info.plist Thanks again to

Talisman for the node patch. It allows both headphone jacks to work. HDMI out audio doesn't work yet.

<array>
							 <dict>
									 <key>Codec</key>
									 <integer>2</integer>
									 <key>Config</key>
									 <string>0x0221101f</string>
									 <key>Node</key>
									 <integer>10</integer>
							 </dict>
							 <dict>
									 <key>Codec</key>
									 <integer>2</integer>
									 <key>Config</key>
									 <string>0x90160110</string>
									 <key>Node</key>
									 <integer>13</integer>
							 </dict>
							 <dict>
									 <key>Codec</key>
									 <integer>2</integer>
									 <key>Config</key>
									 <string>0x02a11020</string>
									 <key>Node</key>
									 <integer>14</integer>
							 </dict>
							 <dict>
									 <key>Codec</key>
									 <integer>2</integer>
									 <key>Config</key>
									 <string>0x0201101e</string>
									 <key>Node</key>
									 <integer>15</integer>
							 </dict>
							 <dict>
									 <key>Codec</key>
									 <integer>2</integer>
									 <key>Config</key>
									 <string>0x90a6012e</string>
									 <key>Node</key>
									 <integer>19</integer>
							 </dict>
							 <dict>
									 <key>Codec</key>
									 <integer>2</integer>
									 <key>Config</key>
									 <string>0x985610a0</string>
									 <key>Node</key>
									 <integer>33</integer>
							 </dict>
				 </array>

SMBIOS.plist

<key>SMUUID</key>

<string>ADD YOUR SL BOOT HD UUID</string>

Make the changes and use Kext Utility to repair permissions.

Done.

donkey_Extra.zip

I was able to get the correct mac address as well. I followed the directions on the fix thread. Look at this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1263239

I couldn't get it working before but after this it worked... I had to get the correct mac address from a windows install.

Well that is the address I fount last time, and tried it again and lo and behold it worked this time. How strange... Oh well, all goodness -_-

Help please. I've burned the NEWISO.ISO file with IMGBurn, and I can get it to get to the part where it says blah blah press Enter to go in to Darwin/x86, so I type in -v and press enter, switch to my Retail Snow Leopard disc and the disc doesn't even get to the apple logo/starts booting. It just stays stuck on the second HSF+ thing, I don't know whats the exact error, but I believe its like the 4th line after you press enter when trying to boot in verbose mode.. somebody.. help. Tried searching and found nothing.

BTW, I'm using an XPS 1530.

Well that is the address I fount last time, and tried it again and lo and behold it worked this time. How strange... Oh well, all goodness :(

Great! :)

Help please. I've burned the NEWISO.ISO file with IMGBurn, and I can get it to get to the part where it says blah blah press Enter to go in to Darwin/x86, so I type in -v and press enter, switch to my Retail Snow Leopard disc and the disc doesn't even get to the apple logo/starts booting. It just stays stuck on the second HSF+ thing, I don't know whats the exact error, but I believe its like the 4th line after you press enter when trying to boot in verbose mode.. somebody.. help. Tried searching and found nothing.

BTW, I'm using an XPS 1530.

I couldn't get the boot dvds to work either :/ mabe try the usb key / external drive method? That works as well, the only thing is that you have to have access to a leopard/hackintosh setup so you can make adjustments to the install dvd.

10.6.2 update safe on M1530.

No new IOATAFamily (Use ATA dsdt patch and get back vanilla IOATA from 10.6 or just keep your old one in /E/E)

No new IONetworkingFamily (If you modded your old one it will stay)

No issues here either. All worked fine, just needed to remove AppleHDA.kext again as it causes issues with my VoodooHDA from /E/E.

Nice to see things just work :)

I couldn't get the boot dvds to work either :/ mabe try the usb key / external drive method? That works as well, the only thing is that you have to have access to a leopard/hackintosh setup so you can make adjustments to the install dvd.

Yeah, I don't have a current Mac/hackintosh I can use so I'm gonna install Kalyway's 10.5.2 and then maybe later on try and install Snow Leopard again..for now its a bit too frustrating and nearly impossible for somebody without a Mac at their disposal.

EDIT:

BTW, I have an account here from a long time ago that I joined.. but when I go on it it doesn't allow me to post? Tells me my posting abilities have been removed or something? Whats up with that.. I never posted anything offensive or nothing, I was just inactive for about 1.5 years. Could that be why?

Another package for vanilla snow installs. It also has a neat instruction manual on post install. This is for M1530s with T9300 and 8600m GT. But other than the DSDT.aml everything else should work on all M1530. Some editing necessary. Not for the terminal phobics though....

Other than internal mic and shutdown/reboot everything works on the M1530 with SL

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NB6II9MP

Contents of snow.zip

Chameleon :

1. Chameleon v2 RC2 installer

2. Chameleon v2 RC3 binaries and documents

Extra:

1. DSDT.aml for XPS M1530 T9300 8600M GT

2. smbios.plist for MBP5,1 T9300 4GB RAM (edit SMUUID)

3. Extentions

..a. AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

..b. PlatformUUID.kext

..c. VoodooBattery.kext

..d. VoodooHDA.kext

..e. VoodooPS2Controller.kext

..f. VoodooSDHC.kext

..g. fakesmc.kext

4. com.apple.boot.plist

5. Themes

PreferencePanes:

1. VoodooHDA.prefPane

2. Trackpad.prefPane

ProtectorSuite-2.0.41-beta.dmg

Vanilla Mods:

1. IONetworkingFamily.kext

2. fstab (modified for NTFS read-write)

oclinfo:

1. oclinfo

2. src

MacToPlatformUUID.app

Okay here goes...

I've gathered this from many many sources and must thank Josh (overshoot) for some major tips.

First thing, get a 8GB USB key or a spare HDD, this is important as we will be changing the boot method back to Chameleon 2 RC1, and will be forcing it to use the /Extra directory we are about to create.

Requirements:

- Snow Leopard disk, either the CD or a .dmg, doesn't really matter as long as it is the latest one 10A432.

- PC / Laptop / Mac running Mac OSX, any version.

- Customized /Extra directory (attached at the end).

- boot0 and boot1h files from Chameleon 2 RC1 (attached at the end).

- /boot from netkas - version 10.2 (attached at the end).

- Patience ;)

Step 1.

Open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu

post-437386-1252235473_thumb.png

Step 2.

Format the USB Key as GUID and create a single partition on there, call it what ever you want, I called it OSX86.

post-437386-1252235343_thumb.png

post-437386-1252235355_thumb.png

Step 3.

Restore from your 10A432 image to your newly created key / disk. Make sure Erase Destination is unticked, although it shouldn't really matter as we'll do other steps later.

post-437386-1252235370_thumb.png

Step 4.

Right click on your new partition and click Information, then get the UUID and copy it for use in Step 6.

post-437386-1252236379_thumb.png

Step 5.

Extract and copy the Extra.zip attached to the key / disk and make sure it is called /Extra (we will sort out the permissions and the kext cache later).

post-437386-1252236492_thumb.png

Step 6.

Edit the /Extra/smbios.plist and change the SMUUID to your UUID you copied above. This is to ensure that the UUID will be the same as your boot disk.

Step 7.

Edit /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/Contents/Info.plist and search for the UUID (I have put INSERT YOURS there to make it easier). Paste your UUID in there, this is the same as above.

Step 8.

Extract the bootloader.zip somewhere and copy the boot file to the root (i.e. /boot), same with permissions.

We have just installed netkas' 10.2 bootloader.

Step 9.

From the location of where the bootloader.zip was extracted run the following commands;

1. sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX - where X is your disk (as can be found in the Information tab from Step 4.)

2. sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY - where X is your disk and Y is the partition (as above from Step 4.)

We have just installed the Chameleon Boot loader 2 RC1

Step 10.

Almost done with building the key / disk. We need to remove a specific kext from /System/Library/Extensions, this will cause a Kernel Panic if it is there. The kext is /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext, remove the whole directory, we don't want it or need it.

Unfortunately this will mean that the DVD drive will not work. Some people say that you can put in an older 10.5 version of this and run in 32bit mode and it works, but I still get a Kernel Panic so don't worry about it and just run 64bit mode without the DVD.

Step 11.

Reboot with only this USB key / disk in. Hit F12 to boot from another source and select USB.

Step 12.

When the bootloader comes up make sure you do a '-s' to boot single user, we are going to sort out the permissions now.

When you get to the # prompt type in; mount -uw / to mount it read / write.

Step 13.

Changed the permissions and recreate the kext caches with the following:

chown -R 0:0 /Extra /boot

chmod -R 755 /Extra /boot

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

The above is all one line by the way!

Step 14.

Reboot, make sure you do the F12 option again. You should now boot into the Installer.

Step 15.

Run through the installer as normal, make sure you have a nice partition to install to (GUID of course). Make sure you do a custom install and make sure that the Printers and Languages are unticked. You can install Rosetta and also Quicktime 7 if you need them. Of course if your main language isn't English choose the correct one for you!

Step 16.

When it finishes and is ready to restart, open a Terminal, this will suspend the restart. Once again we will need to follow the steps above, from Step 5 through to Step 10. This makes sure you main partition will work in the same manner as the installer.

Step 17.

Once finished this step close down the installer and you can then happily reboot into the new Video for OSX 10.6!

Modify as you need to, I do recommend that you use a modified DSDT for your CPU which will enable native Speed Step and Sleep, you will need to remove the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and rebuild the /Extra/Extensions.mkext, I've attached a DSDT for the T9300 below that will work, if you have a different CPU you need to extract the PSS tables from it via acpidump or Everest and insert those.

Enjoy.

If anyone wants to move this elsewhere feel free, we should start a M1530 Snow Leopard thread anyways...

Cheers

Brett

bootloader.zip

Extra.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

Will give it a go when I get a chance. Am running a customized 10.2 at the moment. I do have a copy of 10.1 around here so that will be easy. I know that Chameleon 2 RC2 boot didn't make a difference, although it still booted.

Cheers

Brett

Followed this down to every word, and it didn't work for me. When I got to Step 11 is it? The drive wouldn't boot, it would just have the _ blinking over and over.

What can I do? I think maybe the boot loader didn't get installed correctly or something? I don't know but now how can I fix it if I can't get in my Leopard install?