[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

I apologize to everyone for my delayed response. For some reason the forum is not updating me of new posts. I'm going to start checking the thread daily.

I've not been able to work on my M1330 install in over a week, but one question I have regarding it and its touchpad: should the touchpad (with the proper drivers on this site, think they were from macgirl's thread or sonotone's installer?) function identical to the way it functions in Vista? Maybe I didnt have something installed right, or at all, but the touchpad was erratic at best for me, and I could never get it under control in OSX. Since I dont plan on using a mouse, if I cant get the touchpad to work as it does in Vista, then its pretty much going to ruin the whole move to OSX on this laptop for me.

I have never been happy with the way Sonotone's installer installs the trackpad. As far as I know there is no way to get vertical and horizontal scrolling on the touchpad like in Windows/Linux. I've been searching for a solution for that myself since that two-finger scrolling thing makes my touchpad WAY too sensitive and rarely works. To get the touchpad back down to normal, you need to reinstall the ApplePS2Controller kext.

10.5.5 Update?

Anyone get the latest update working on the XPS M1330? I have tried various tutorials, but always get a kernel panic.

Eggshell

Yes, are you running retail, iAtkos, ??

Hi!

I have installed iATKOS v4i on my Dell XPS M1530 and I have some questions.

1) When I click in instalator customize button there are really little options. For example there is no Vanilla kernel section. Is it normal or something works incorrect?

2) I installed my MacOS without chosing anything in customize options, so there should be installed iAtkos main system and bootloader with efi_v8. After instalation the only way to boot up the system is using sontone CD. What is wrong? How can I repair it.

3) After standard instalation without chosing any options is there vanilla kernel installed?

2. You should use OSx86 Tools to install Chameleon EFI and after that be sure to run the fdisk option in OSx86 Tools.

3. No, it not a vanilla kernel

1.) is there a way to check if AHCI is enabled? my install works and the controller and hdd are listed as SATA devices in the system information panel.

2.) the way the guide is written, i assumed that Chameleon EFI should not be installed unless i'm using GPT instead of MBR. from my understanding, i should still be able to use graphics strings with pc_efi v8, which was installed with iATKOS v4i. is this correct? [this seems to be correct... once i get home from work i'm going to try using the strings]

3.) is upgrading to 10.5.5 using this guide working? whenever i attempt to upgrade it breaks the install (after boot and the apple logo it just says i need to reboot over and over.)

edit: more experimentation and info

1. If you are booting properly and your hard disks are set to ACHI mode in the BIOS then you should be good to go.

2. You should be using Chameleon EFI. I don't think pc_efi is being maintained anymore. iAtkos does not install either EFI implementation. It installs the vanilla Darwin boot loader (which works fine if you don't need EFI strings).

3. 10.5.5 upgrade should work if you make sure that IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and Don't_Steal_Mac_OS_X.kext are either deleted or disabled with IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext and dsmos.kext respectively. See macgirl's Dell Compilation thread for more info on that. I think the last three pages or so had discussion related to that.

Biggest : EFI. I can start up OSX86TOOLS, and install Chameleon, but when I restart it's just hanging on a flashing "_" even before it hits EFI or Darwin! There's no errors coming up in the log - I'm using OSX86Tools V1Final, and the partition table is def. GPT. I have to use the Dell BootCD to get in every time!

Smaller : WiFi. When I install it, no AirPort appears, and when I use the configuration app, it kernel panics when I try to join a network.

What wifi card? As for EFI, how do you have your hard disk partitioned? Is it Case-Sensitive, Journeled? You can try opening OSx86Tools and, clicking the Fdisk/Install EFI button, and run the fdisk process. It could be that your partition is not marked as active. Running fdisk should fix that.

2 additional notes:

1. Partitions are def. marked as Case Sensitive, Journeled. It's also coming up in the logs that the partition is "in use", and that changes would require a restart. Seems to make sence, but meh.

2. WiFi is the pain-in-the-butt Intel Chipset in-built one. I'm using the development drivers mentioned in the OP.

Also, if this makes a difference, I'm using a EXTERNAL drive. I can't really use a internal.

hi everybdy,

I've follow the wingrunr21 guide but i have always the same probleme,

I don't have the sound and my ethernet don't work i spend all my week end to find a solution but with the sonotone's pack the sound don't work, someone have a solution??

thanks

My system:

Dell XPS 1330 with the LED backlit screen

160 GB 7200 RPM SATA hard disk in AHCI mode

nVidia 8400M GS 128 MB

4 GB 667 mhz RAM

6 cell battery

OS X Leopard 10.5.4

Intel Wireless 4965 (does not work)

Broadcom Wired BMC5907 (does not work)

I don't have the sound and my ethernet don't work i spend all my week end to find a solution but with the sonotone's pack the sound don't work, someone have a solution??

Ethernet, as stated in my guide, does not work. There is no existing kext for it. I am currently developing one.

What about sound does not work? Is it detected and simply not outputting sound or not being detected. If it is not being detected you need to boot with the -v mode and see what the error is. If it is not outputting sound try sleeping and resuming. If you followed my guide, thought, you should be using macgirl's com.apple.Boot.plist. Ensure that the AppleHDA.kext from the sonotone driver package is installed and being loaded.

Ethernet, as stated in my guide, does not work. There is no existing kext for it. I am currently developing one.

What about sound does not work? Is it detected and simply not outputting sound or not being detected. If it is not being detected you need to boot with the -v mode and see what the error is. If it is not outputting sound try sleeping and resuming. If you followed my guide, thought, you should be using macgirl's com.apple.Boot.plist. Ensure that the AppleHDA.kext from the sonotone driver package is installed and being loaded.

I follow the GUIDE , but there is no sound, no hardware detected , i install sonotone's pack but nothing else, and when i sleep the xps, he never wake up and i must reboot it manually

I follow the GUIDE , but there is no sound, no hardware detected , i install sonotone's pack but nothing else, and when i sleep the xps, he never wake up and i must reboot it manually

I can't help you with sleep since I myself can't seem to get sleep working. As for sound, ensure that AppleHDA.kext is in /System/Library/Extensions and that it is being loaded properly. You can check to see if it is loaded by opening a Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and typing

kextstat | grep AppleHDA

Really need some help getting mine working, seeing as everyone has danced around it. Sorry!

EDIT: Found out that CHAM_EFI is not causing the problems, it's FDisk. If I run FDisk on it's own without even touching EFI, then restart, I'm left with a sonotone-cd-only machine.

EDIT 2: Installing PC_EFI (last resort, test thing) gives me a "DD unable to be completed" error - namely,"dd: /dev/disk1: Resource busy"

Hey guys, just ordered my Dell XPS M1330 today :)

Specs are

2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo

3Gb RAM

128 Nvidia 8400GS

250Gb Harddrive

9 Cell Battery

Dell Wireless 1395 802.11b/g Mini-Card

Dell TrueMobile 355 internal Bluetooth

Any idea if all of this is compatible? I opted out of the Intel PROset Wireless card since i heard it does not work for people and opted for the Dell one.

Also, i downloaded the iAtkos 4i version (own the OS X Leopard license, bought seperately as a gift) and its in a .rar file, when i open it, theres an iAtkos.exe file inside, its not a virus but i don't know what to do with this? Double clicking just causes my computer to hang, does the file need to be changed into .iso? what do i do with it?

EDIT: just realised u gotta extract the .exe file, sorted that out nicely.

Also need to get the hang of dual booting, anyone wanna be my sensei?

For a straightforward way to get 8600M GT working with QE/CI/QGL with hardware accl. see:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...id=930144

To remove reboot problem in AppleHDA.kext (no sound after reboot) see:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=929010

and the next post

NOTE: Check my system profile before proceeding. I have iatkos v4.0i upgraded to 10.5.5 with macupdate and Darwin x86

For a straightforward way to get 8600M GT working with QE/CI/QGL with hardware accl. see:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...id=930144

To remove reboot problem in AppleHDA.kext (no sound after reboot) see:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=929010

and the next post

NOTE: Check my system profile before proceeding. I have iatkos v4.0i upgraded to 10.5.5 with macupdate and Darwin x86

The first is simply nvinstaller which is covered in my tutorial. The second does not work on the 1330s. It is interesting that it works for the 1530s.

oops.... I guess I overlooked the last two lines of the guide... sorry about that wingrunr21.

Another update: In a M1530 with iatkos v4.0i you really don't have to do much about the AHCI bug.

1. Change SATA settings to ATA in bios on first boot to OS X after install.

2. After a couple of reboots or shutdowns, change the SATA in bios back to AHCI. Everything will automagically work. Have done this at least thrice.

I am trying your boot cd and retail disc install and am having issues. After booting the retail disc getting ready to install my mouse does not function. Keyboard works fine any ideas?

Your touchpad does not work or both USB mice and the touchpad do not work. Try using a USB mouse.

I tried a usb mouse as well. No mouse functions at all. I also noticed when booting your disc it looks like I get a com.plist error but its only on the screen for a split second so its hard to see what its complaining about. M1330 is LED display with 8400M graphics and 4GB of RAM. Thanks!

I've been able to get a retail install to work with your disk, I did have to use a usb mouse since the touchpad was not working. I've upgraded to 10.5.5 with no issues, but I still need to boot off your CD. I've tried to make the HD bootable using gparted, is there a way in OSX to make the hard drive bootable? Last time I tried to install chameleon I received a kernel error upon boot and now have a new retail install. I just don't want to have to go through reinstalling this if there is a way to make the disk bootable so I do not need a boot CD. Thanks

I tried a usb mouse as well. No mouse functions at all. I also noticed when booting your disc it looks like I get a com.plist error but its only on the screen for a split second so its hard to see what its complaining about. M1330 is LED display with 8400M graphics and 4GB of RAM. Thanks!

That plist error shouldn't affect it. Try booting off the boot cd in -v mode and see if it complains somewhere.

I've been able to get a retail install to work with your disk, I did have to use a usb mouse since the touchpad was not working. I've upgraded to 10.5.5 with no issues, but I still need to boot off your CD. I've tried to make the HD bootable using gparted, is there a way in OSX to make the hard drive bootable? Last time I tried to install chameleon I received a kernel error upon boot and now have a new retail install. I just don't want to have to go through reinstalling this if there is a way to make the disk bootable so I do not need a boot CD. Thanks

The only way to do so is to install Chameleon EFI or PC-EFI. Just use OSx86 Tools or the Chameleon installer. So long you have partitioned your HD like in my guide you shouldn't have issues.

• NVInstaller utilizing NVInject -> This method detects your graphics card at boot and "injects" the appropriate hardware information into OS X's hardware tree. Uses nvinject.kext kernel extension.
  • NVKush -> Like NVInject but uses nvkush.kext instead of nvinject.kext.

Download and install Pacifist and the Apple Leopard Graphics Update. Mount the Leopard Graphics Update dmg. Open up Pacifist and then click "Open Package". Browse to your Leopard Graphics Update package. Open it in Pacifist. When it opens, right click on the "Contents of LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0.pkg" package and choose "Install to Default Location". Use administrator privelages. When it is done running, use OSx86 Tools to repair permissions and clear the extension cache. Reboot. Check System Profiler to see if QE/CI are working. They should be.

Many thanks !!!

I have QE/CI with a 8600m GT on iATKOS 10.5.5 now !!

But sound still not working (Sigmatel 9205) :)

EDIT : I discovered I have some bad performances :

aaaxc3.png

And for example PhotoBooth is very slow :D

has anyone been able to get the microphone working?

Really would be useful, haven't seen any word about it with a driver being made because i really want to be able to use the speech recognition tool which could prove itself useful.

Using iAtkos 2.0i right now.

Everything working apart from sleep and restart but i'm happy with it right now. especially how well it performs.

Thanks guys!

Ok, so I've given up on a retail install since everytime I install retail I receive a kernel panic after setting the drive to boot. I have a iAtkos 4 install which is running fine on 10.5.4, but I still have to wake it on every boot otherwise I have a black screen. My video card is Intel x3100 I'm just wondering if this normal behavior, or if there is a fix for this. I do not have sound working yet either but I'm not that worried about it. Also, since I installed a vanilla kernel do I still need to follow the link in the first post to update to 10.5.5 (install pre patch, patch, then post patch)? I love my 1330 with OSX, once I get this working I'm going to try to get a successful triple boot (on another hard drive) ;) Thanks

• 2 weeks later...