[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

I managed to make audio work, but after the first reboot it stopped working.

The device is still recognized, but no audio comes out.

This same problem happened before on my old kalyway installation.

This happened to me too but putting my laptop to sleep and waking it fixes the problem. Its annoying but it always works and also you could try going to system preferences and under the output tab switch it from headphones to internal speakers.

If you use the gfx-strings+Chameleon audio will usually just work upon boot.

Velocium, what kernel are you running? Vanilla?

I think its vanilla 9.4.0 , anyway thats what my os86tools shows on info on my kernel. Sleep works fine for me and so does speed step but the audio thing works only when I sleep then wake it up. I have chameleon running but I am not sure how to install gfx strings.

Edit: I installed pc_efi_v8 and the bootlist file provided by mac girl. I forgot to remove the hda enabler but when i did it worked like a charm. Your advice is gold wingrunr21.

I got everything working pretty much perfectly... well as perfectly as it can get at the moment. I formatted my m1330 drive with GUID partitioning, made a 50 gig partition for Leopard and the rest of the 320 gig drive for Vista 64. Vista 64 with SP1 works seamlessly with GUID partitioning. I used Leo4All v3 to install 10.5.2. Updated to 10.5.3 with the Kalyway updater, and 10.5.4 with Software Update. It's important to recognize that you should NOT install any third party kexts until you are up to 10.5.4 because lots of the updates overwrite the hacked kext files for our hardware to work. I installed EasyBCD to dual boot between Vista 64 and OS X. EasyBCD has an option to add an entry in the Windows bootloader for Mac --> Generic x86 PC. I didn't expect this to work on a GUID partition table, but it did.

Now the only thing that doesn't work is restart/shutdown, but those are obviously known problems. Also sound disappears after going to sleep.

I having the problem in the attached picture with Kalyway 10.5.2. Notice that I tried to disable pretty much everything possible in the BIOS (mult-core, ida, speedstep, usb, etc...). I will try the iATKOS 4i tomorrow and see what happens. The iATKOS 10.5.1 1.0r2 works fine, and I got audio and graphics to work.

Any idea how I can get past this stuck point (always the same point) for the Kalyway?

M1330, 8400, dual Dell 1505 and Intel 4965AGN :) , BIOS A12.

The 1505 works native in OSX, but it's over 3x slower than the 4965AGN for downloading in Vista.

1505: 800 kb/s download & 1000 kb/s upload (2 bars) <-- download is actually slower than upload, something doesn't seem right?

4965: 2800 kb/s download & 1050 kb/s upload (4 bars)

This was tested at dslreports three times for each card.

post-142253-1220174715_thumb.jpg

Could you get over this problem? I have Dell XPS 1330 and I am also facing the same problem. Haven't been able to solve it yet.

Alright, I'm gonna try and figure out the dual boot. I just partitioned myself 10 gigs using GParted LiveCD, we'll see how it goes. Have you tried using the new JaS 10.5.4 disc yet? I tried today and I could not even start it up. I got this message. Tried it in both AHCI mode and ATA mode.

Hello everyone,

I recently completed the somewhat monumental task of getting a solid OS X Leopard ....

WOW! wingrunr21, you are greate guy! Many-many-many thanx for this guide!!! It's only helped me to enable QE/CE on my Vostro 1400! I'm so happy!!!!

Just a little question... My GeForce 8400m GS has 256 Mb, but after macgirl's efi string my system profiler shows only 128 Mb... Is it able to enable 256 Mb?

P.S.

One more time - THANK YOU!!!!

WOW! wingrunr21, you are greate guy! Many-many-many thanx for this guide!!! It's only helped me to enable QE/CE on my Vostro 1400! I'm so happy!!!!

Just a little question... My GeForce 8400m GS has 256 Mb, but after macgirl's efi string my system profiler shows only 128 Mb... Is it able to enable 256 Mb?

P.S.

One more time - THANK YOU!!!!

I am unsure. You may have to generate a new gfx-string.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html

• 3 weeks later...

Wingrunr,

I gotta give you props and I like your style. Not many people are as detailed and it leads to problems when you assume people know what to do.

For example, I wanted to use Chameleon to boot but have my kexts load from Extra/Extensions and it took forever to find a thread that said you have to copy the "boot" file from a bootable boot-132 CD and replace the one from the chameleon install to get that to work. Stuff like that.

Anyway, any plans to update this guide for 10.5.5? I figure as of now it's only certified for 10.5.4. I attempted to do the OpenGL acceleration and my video card (8400 GS) hated it -- Just locked on every reboot after turning it on via the tool. So I stopped messing with acceleration. Would love to hear your 10.5.5 experiences and upgrades.

Anyway, any plans to update this guide for 10.5.5? I figure as of now it's only certified for 10.5.4. I attempted to do the OpenGL acceleration and my video card (8400 GS) hated it -- Just locked on every reboot after turning it on via the tool. So I stopped messing with acceleration. Would love to hear your 10.5.5 experiences and upgrades.

Yes, there are several updates needed for the guide. Right now I'm attempting to get my sleep working and then I'll update it.

wingrunr21, if you write a working driver for BCM59xx (I have a BCM5906M in my laptop), you will be my hero.

It is coming. I've got the card detected and the system pulls the MAC address. I need to fix a few killer bugs before I release an alpha. Right now I'm really busy though so progress isn't happening as fast as I'd like.

Yes, there are several updates needed for the guide. Right now I'm attempting to get my sleep working and then I'll update it.

It is coming. I've got the card detected and the system pulls the MAC address. I need to fix a few killer bugs before I release an alpha. Right now I'm really busy though so progress isn't happening as fast as I'd like.

No pressure! I can wait very patiently, myself. When you're ready to test the alpha I can be of service as well.

I've not been able to work on my M1330 install in over a week, but one question I have regarding it and its touchpad: should the touchpad (with the proper drivers on this site, think they were from macgirl's thread or sonotone's installer?) function identical to the way it functions in Vista? Maybe I didnt have something installed right, or at all, but the touchpad was erratic at best for me, and I could never get it under control in OSX. Since I dont plan on using a mouse, if I cant get the touchpad to work as it does in Vista, then its pretty much going to ruin the whole move to OSX on this laptop for me.

Hi!

I have installed iATKOS v4i on my Dell XPS M1530 and I have some questions.

1) When I click in instalator customize button there are really little options. For example there is no Vanilla kernel section. Is it normal or something works incorrect?

2) I installed my MacOS without chosing anything in customize options, so there should be installed iAtkos main system and bootloader with efi_v8. After instalation the only way to boot up the system is using sontone CD. What is wrong? How can I repair it.

3) After standard instalation without chosing any options is there vanilla kernel installed?

Thanks for reply in advance.

wingrunr21, first off, thanks for the tutorial - it helped a lot!

i followed the tutorial closely using iATKOS v4i on my M1530, though i'm triple-booting using MBR instead of GPT. i also selected both stock files while customizing, along with SATA support (i did not change my BIOS to ATA nor did i copy over the files attatched to the post. i've installed all updates except 10.5.5.

i did have a few questions, though (anybody who has any info feel free to chime in):

1.) is there a way to check if AHCI is enabled? my install works and the controller and hdd are listed as SATA devices in the system information panel.

2.) the way the guide is written, i assumed that Chameleon EFI should not be installed unless i'm using GPT instead of MBR. from my understanding, i should still be able to use graphics strings with pc_efi v8, which was installed with iATKOS v4i. is this correct? [this seems to be correct... once i get home from work i'm going to try using the strings]

3.) is upgrading to 10.5.5 using this guide working? whenever i attempt to upgrade it breaks the install (after boot and the apple logo it just says i need to reboot over and over.)

edit: more experimentation and info

robertp15:

i'm pretty new to this, but here's my two cents:

1.) i believe the vanilla section is listed as "stock files" in the installer.

2.) did you follow the tutorial and use GPT, or are you using MBR for your partition table? i'm using MBR, and after installing iATKOS i have no problems booting into the OS. i would boot up a linux livecd and check that your OSX partition is flagged as bootable, as after installing (i dual-boot) i have to mark my vista partition as bootable, repair it, and then re-mark OSX as bootable to get everything working.

3.) dunno

Just a quickie, I'm using iAkatosV4i on a XPS M1530, with a external USB harddrive, and I'm having some problems.

Biggest : EFI. I can start up OSX86TOOLS, and install Chameleon, but when I restart it's just hanging on a flashing "_" even before it hits EFI or Darwin! There's no errors coming up in the log - I'm using OSX86Tools V1Final, and the partition table is def. GPT. I have to use the Dell BootCD to get in every time!

Smaller : WiFi. When I install it, no AirPort appears, and when I use the configuration app, it kernel panics when I try to join a network.

Medic!