[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Tutorial last updated: 5/19/2009

Hello everyone,

I recently completed the somewhat monumental task of getting a solid OS X Leopard install working on my Dell XPS 1330. This project of mine was not, in my opinion, easy. I am a seasoned computer user who is quite affluent in the Linux, Unix, and Windows worlds, and yet, I had quite a bit of difficulty getting OS X up and going. There is no real central information repository for getting OSx86 working nor is there any real place for all of OSx86's various acronyms and naming conventions to be explained. This guide will attempt to remedy that situation and guide the end user to getting an (almost) fully functional Hackintosh.

My system:

Dell XPS 1330 with the LED backlit screen

320 GB 7200 RPM WD Scorpio Black in AHCI mode

nVidia 8400M GS 128 MB

4 GB 667 mhz RAM

9 cell battery

OS X Leopard 10.5.6

Dell Wireless 1505

Intel Wireless 4965 (does not work yet)

Broadcom Wired BMC5907 (does not work yet)

Please note: shutdown and restart DO NOT WORK. You must wait for the screen to turn black and then manually shut the machine down. There is no known fix for this yet, including the netkas sleep kernel. This is the MOST up to date information. When/If we get it working, I will update this tutorial accordingly.

Getting Help

1. First and foremost SEARCH. Please research your problems before posting here. It is rather annoying to continually answer the same questions.

2. Post in this thread or in macgirl's Dell Compilation thread. Someone will get back to you in a reasonable amount of time.

3. Go on IRC. irc.osx86.hu. If you need an IRC client I use Chatzilla for Firefox. Look in the #insanelymac or #osx86 channels.

Tip: When searching for help on this forum, don't use the forum search. It is worthless. Use Google instead. For example, to search for information regarding Dell XPS 1330 laptops, use this search string:

Dell XPS 1330 site:forum.insanelymac.com

See that "site" part? That limits the Google search to only these forums. You can find more information faster using this search method.

Getting Started

Now let us get started. There are, right now, many ways of installing OS X. They are as follows:

1. iAtkos -> a modifed version of OS X that is intended for SSE3 Intel CPUs only
  2. Kalyway -> another modified version of OS X that is intended for modern Intel and AMD CPUs
  3. Leo4All -> a third modified version of OS X that is intended for "all" meaning all Intel and AMD cpus with SSE2 or higher
  4. iDeneb -> Another third party version of OS X. I don't have personal experience with it but have heard good things.
  5. Vanilla -> using a retail copy of OS X that will only work with the latest Intel SSE3 CPUs
  6. iPC -> a modified version of OS X that supports Intel and AMD cpus with SSE2 or higher

All of these distributions can be obtained from the usual places, primarily the Green Demon and the Bay of Pirates. Even if you use a modified distribution, I highly encourage you to purchase a copy of OS X. This operating system is very polished and Apple does deserve some money for their efforts.

For the purpose of this tutorial we will be using iAtkos. This is mostly because I have personally been unable to get any of the other three methods to work properly on my machine. This does not mean that they do not work, however. I have seen several reports of other forum members successfully installing the other methods. I encourage you to use iAtkos 4. iAtkos 2 will work just fine but using iAtkos 4 saves us some updating later on. If you do use iAtkos 2, I will add some additional information on how to get it updated to the latest version of OS X.

Update: I have been running a retail install of OS X for awhile now. This guide is updated for a retail install as well.

I HIGHLY encourage everyone to do a retail installation of OS X instead of using a pre-modified distribution. You can just as easily "obtain" a retail OS X disk as you can a modified disk (although I still encourage you to buy it). The M1330 and M1530 can run a retail distribution just fine. This type of installation will cause the least amount of headaches in the future in terms of updating. Also, most power users here (the ones who offer 99% of the support) run retail installs and may not be familiar with the inner workings of the modified distributions. This means you are more likely to get help if you need it and we are more likely to know what's going on with broken systems.

Burning OS X

Ok. This applies to everyone but Vanilla installers. When you get your distribution of choice you will need to burn it to a DVD. Your download will include a file with the name of the distribution plus the extension .iso. This is an image of the DVD. There several free programs that can burn this ISO to a dvd. I will include links to two below. In either case, you need to choose the "Burn image to disk" option in the program NOT create a data DVD with the ISO on it. If you simply drag the ISO onto the DVD, the resulting burn will not be bootable and you will just have created another coaster.

Infrarecorder

ImgBurn

This next step applies to Vanilla users but may be a good idea for everyone else. Download my boot cd image from the bottom of this post. This is essential for installing Vanilla OS X and is useful for everyone else later. Burn it to a CD the same way you did the DVD ISO for OS X. Now on to installation!

Installing OS X

Insert your OS X DVD into your DVD drive unless you are a Vanilla user. If you are installing Vanilla, insert my boot CD into the drive. Turn on the computer and boot from the DVD drive. Everyone should eventually get to a prompt where it tells you to press any key for boot options.

Vanilla users now need to eject their boot CD and insert their retail Leopard DVD. WAIT FOR THE DISK TO FULLY SPIN UP!! Now press enter. Vanilla users will see a prompt for some number. This number corresponds to the device ID of device you wish to boot from. The optical drive is usually 82.

Everyone else can just press enter to start the OS X installation wizard. Wait awhile while it boots up. If you get a message saying you need to restart your computer, do what it says but this time at the boot prompt, press a key to enter a boot option and use the boot option -v. This will start OS X in verbose mode and will allow you troubleshoot why your installer is not loading. More on troubleshooting down below.

If/When you eventually get the OS X installer started click through the menus until you see the "Tools" menu at the top of your screen. Under tools you will see a Disk Utility option. Open Disk Utility. We are now going to partition our hard disk. This tutorial will NOT cover dual booting. I do not dual boot my laptop and simply run Linux and Windows in a VMWare Fusion VM. However, there are plenty of tutorials on these forums on how to dual boot. Please reference them if you plan on dual booting.

When disk utility opens you should see your hard disk on the left hand side. Please select it and go to the "Erase" tab. From here set the volumen format to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", name the drive, and hit "Erase". Once that is done go to the "Partition" tab. We need to partition the drive into one that uses what is called a GUID Partition Table. Under Volume Scheme select "1 partition". Click on the "Options" button at the bottom of the screen and choose the GUID option. Ensure the name and format are the same as before and then hit "Apply". The volume should now be partitioned properly. You may now close Disk Utility.

Do not select "Mac OS Extended Case-Sensitive/Journeled" This file system is NOT supported by Chameleon 1.0.11 and Adobe products will not install on a drive formatted in this file system. Just format in a Mac OS Extended Journeled file system. You don't really need case sensitivity.

For more on GUID Partition Tables, see here.

IF YOU WANT TO DO AN MBR INSTALLATION THEN GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SECOND POST AND READ TALISMAN'S GUIDE ON THE SUBJECT. IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT AN MBR INSTALLATION IS/CARE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER THEN JUST DO IT THE GUID WAY LIKE IT IS IN THE GUIDE.

You now need to follow the installation wizard. Agree with the license statement, choose your installation volume, and you should see a screen where there is an "Install" button. DO NOT CLICK INSTALL YET! We are first going to customize our installation to make our install more "Mac-like" (unless you are doing Vanilla then you can just click Install). Click customize and find the "Vanilla" options. You can go ahead and check the vanilla kernel (9.4.0 with iAtkos 4 or 9.2.2 with iAtkos 2) and other vanilla options. Now click "Done" and then click "Install". The installer with verify the integrity of the installation DVD and then proceed to install OS X. When it is done reboot the machine as instructed.

Vanilla users can simply click "Install".

First Boot

Upon reboot boot from your hard disk. Vanilla users will have to boot from my boot cd but instead should choose 80 instead of 82 at the boot prompt. If all went well you should be presented with a boot screen similar to the one you got with the install DVD. It will probably say Darwin/x86 at the top. Hit a key to enter boot options and boot with the -v flag. This will allow you to see any problems that could occur upon the initial boot of OS X.

Note for iAtkos 4 users: iAtkos includes an outdated version of the Apple AHCI drivers. You MUST change your hard disk mode to ATA in your BIOS to boot up into OS X. Do not worry, however, we will get AHCI fixed later! This only affects iAtkos 4. iAtkos 2 works correctly.

Upon boot watch the Leopard movie and then go through the registration process. When you are done you are presented with your desktop. You have just successfully installed OS X Leopard on your Dell! Congratulations! Now it is time to tweak the system so that it works smoothly.

Updates

The very first thing we are going to do is update our system. This is so we don't go through a ton of effort configuring our system only to have it break when an update is installed.

10.5.2 PEOPLE ONLY

If you installed iAtkos 2, Kalyway, or any other 10.5.2 distribution, you are going to need to go back to the lovely Green Demon or Bay of Pirates and get the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update. This will allow your 10.5.2 distribution to be successfully updated. From there you can simply use Apple's software update to update the rest of your system. You must also back up two kexts by the name of AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext. I will now explain both what a kext is and how to back them up.

Kexts are Kernel Extensions. They allow the Darwin kernel to utilize hardware. Those from a Linux background can look at kexts like modules. Those from a Windows background can look at kexts like typical device drivers. These kexts are stored in /System/Library/Extensions. All kexts located in that directory are automatically loaded by OS X upon startup. This is useful knowledge for if a specific kext is preventing your computer from booting, removing it from that directory could get you back into OS X.

To back up kexts, open /System/Library/Extensions in Finder. From there you can simply drag the correct kexts to either a backup folder or to your desktop. After you have installed your 10.5.3 update, you can drag the backed up kexts BACK into /System/Library/Extensions, overwriting the new kexts. You will have to put in your password to do either of these actions. Once you are done moving the old kexts back, you need to repair disk permissions. Go to /Applications/Utilities/ and open Disk Utility. Select your hard disk like you did before and like the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. It will run and make sure everything is A ok. From there you can reboot. When you reach the Darwin boot prompt, type update -v. This will update your system. The system will reboot once more and you should be set.

10.5.4 PEOPLE ONLY

People who are already at 10.5.4 can just open software update and install all of the available updates, including the Security Update. Reboot. We are now going to get AHCI working once again. We are basically going to follow the same procedure as above, replacing our newer IOAHCIFamily.kext and AppleAHCIPort.kext with an older version (There is a zip file attached with them on there). Once you unzip the AHCI kexts, move them into /System/Library/Extensions and overwrite the existing ones. From there, open Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities/ and "Repair Disk Permissions". You should be able to reboot, enable AHCI in the BIOS, and once again boot into OS X.

Update to 10.5.6 NON Vanilla

Read the parts below about installing Chameleon 1.0.12 and getting a DSDT.aml for your laptop. Then follow the below link for applying the update.

iAtkos users and everyone else follow the directions here. This update procedure is outlined perfectly for newbies. Just follow his directions and you will be fine.

Update to 10.5.6 Vanilla

Upgrading to 10.5.6 requires a few extra steps. You must FIRST install Chameleon. See below. Once that is finished, visit netkas's blog post regarding PC EFI version 9 here. There is a download link that says "Bootloader". Download this and unzip it. You will see that a file called "boot" is unzipped. You need to move/copy this file to the root of your hard disk. There should already be a file named "boot" there that Chameleon installed. Overwrite this file with the netkas one. Then issue the following commands:

sudo chown root:admin /boot
sudo chmod 755 /boot

Now that we have EFI updated we need to get a proper DSDT.aml file for our machine.

ONLY USE THESE IF YOU HAVE AN NVIDIA CARD!

If you don't have nvidia, you will have to make your own using ~pcwiz's DSDT Patcher GUI

For the XPS 1330 use Superhai's: link

For the XPS 1530 use Brandon2004's (modified by Chrysaor): link

Once you have a DSDT.aml ensure that it is indeed named DSDT.aml (case-sensitive) and move it to your hard disk root. Once this is done run these commands:

M1530 users you should NOT need NVinject.kext or ClamshellDisplay.kext.

sudo chown root:admin /DSDT.aml
sudo chmod 755 /DSDT.aml

Reboot now to ensure everything is working properly.

You can now download and install 10.5.6 via software update or via combo update.

Update to 10.5.7 Vanilla

If you have successfully updated to 10.5.6 Vanilla then just run a software update and you should be fine. If you have yet to do so follow the steps for a 10.5.6 update and just run the 10.5.7 software update instead.

Installing Chameleon EFI

The easiest way to install Chameleon is to use the installer. Go to http://chameleon dot osx86 dot hu, download the installer, and run it. You should be good to go with Chameleon.

Networking

The Intel wireless chipsets do NOT work out of the box with OS X. There is currently an effort to develop drivers for them called iwidarwin. There is a sticky thread in the LAN and wireless section of the forum about the driver's current status. I implore you to there for the most up to date information regarding these drivers.

If you want wireless, buy a Dell Wireless 1505 off of ebay. This card works out of the box and can be installed alongside the Intel wireless card. To do this, pop off the plastic cover with a "C" next to it on the bottom of your laptop and install the wifi card in the WWAN slot (ensure WWAN is enabled in the BIOS). As for the antenna connectors, connect the black-gray wire to the black connection and the white-gray wire to the white connection on the card. It should work smoothly.

Dell 1490 Wireless cards are also known to work. Make sure you check the Dell part number before you order one.

It has been reported that Dell Wireless 1395 cards also work out of the box with OS X.

XPS M1330

The BCM5907 ethernet does NOT work in OS AT ALL. I am currently working to develop a driver for this chipset. In the meantime, the Apple Macbook Air USB to Ethernet adapter does work as does a Linksys USB200M USB to Ethernet adapter. You should be able to just plug it in and go.

XPS M1530

The M1530s use a Marvell Yukon 88E8040 ethernet chipset. Visit here for a driver.

Bluetooth works out of the box.

Sound

For sound you need two kexts: One enables the various inputs and outputs on your laptop and is called AppleHDA.kext. Get the best version for your laptop at talisman's thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142521

The other kext you need is a kext called HDAEnabler. talisman also has that kext uploaded on the first page of his thread.

Graphics

This method is preferred:

I recently stopped using EFI strings for my graphics card and instead used nvinject. Download and install macgirls nvinject and put it in /System/Library/Extensions if you have an M1330. M1530 users see below. This kext will automatically detect your graphics card allowing for QE/CI/Rotation to work correctly as well as HDMI/VGA output. DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU ARE USING EFI STRINGS!!

M1530 users can get mirror display working as well as all other features using this kext:

M1530 users use Urthwyte's kext here

These kexts give QE/CI/QGL up to 10.5.6 with VGA output. Mirror display only works on the M1530 right now.

This is outdated

Graphics can be one of two things: really easy or a pain in the butt. Mine were a pain in the butt but I think I have finally figured out how to get them working. There are several methods of getting graphics working on your Dell. I will outline them below:

• NVInstaller utilizing NVInject -> This method detects your graphics card at boot and "injects" the appropriate hardware information into OS X's hardware tree. Uses nvinject.kext kernel extension.
  • NVKush -> Like NVInject but uses nvkush.kext instead of nvinject.kext.
  • gfx strings -> Uses the capabilities of Chameleon to directly inject the graphics card information into the hardware tree at boot. This is my preferred method and allows for dual monitors on the laptop.

If you are going to use nvinstaller or nvkush, download the appropriate installer packages and run them. After the installs complete, open OSx86 Tools, check the "Repair Permissions", "Set Extensions permissions", and "Clear Extensions Cache" check boxes and click "Run Selected Tasks". You should do this EVERY time you install or modify kexts. It could save you headaches later.

If you choose gfx strings, macgirl has made life easy for us. Visit her post here and download her updated NVCAP com.apple.Boot.plist. Unzip this and move it into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/. Repair permissions with OSx86 Tools and reboot. Upon reboot you should get a nice resolution and the volume control icon should appear in the top taskbar (but sound won't work yet...). We now need to get QE/CI/QGL working.

QE stands for Quartz Extreme. CI stands for Core Image. QGL stans for Quartz Open GL. You want all three of these to be hardware accelerated to get the best performance out of your hackintosh. To check whether these are enabled, go to Apple->About This Mac and then click "More Info..." (or rather /Applications/Utilities/System Profiler). You then need to move to the Graphics/Displays option and check the "Display" section. You will see "Core Image". This should say "Hardware Accelerated". If it says "Software', CI is not working. "Quartz Extreme" should also say "Supported". QuartzGL probably won't even be on the list. We will enable that first.

To enable QuartzGL, open OSx86 Tools and click Enable / Disable Quartz GL. Click the "Enable Quartz GL". You are done. QE/CI are a bit harder.

Download and install Pacifist and the Apple Leopard Graphics Update. Mount the Leopard Graphics Update dmg. Open up Pacifist and then click "Open Package". Browse to your Leopard Graphics Update package. Open it in Pacifist. When it opens, right click on the "Contents of LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0.pkg" package and choose "Install to Default Location". Use administrator privelages. When it is done running, use OSx86 Tools to repair permissions and clear the extension cache. Reboot. Check System Profiler to see if QE/CI are working. They should be.

End Outdated

LeoAHCI.zip

NEWISO.zip

• Like 1

Decryption

You need to install a decryptor in order to decrypt encrypted binaries that the kext Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X.kext usually handles. Since we are not running real Macs we need to use a decryptor kext. The best one so far is AppleDecrypt. A zip with this kext is attached below.

SMBIOS

Download and install SMBIOSResolver.kext below and install it.

IntelCPUPowerManagement

While you can certainly just remove the IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext completely I personally prefer a disabler kext. Download and install IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext (attached below) and install it.

THESE KEXTS ARE REQUIRED ALL THE TIME OR YOUR SYSTEM WON'T BOOT

Remaining Dell Stuff

Sleep

To get sleep working visit http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html to download and install VoodooUSBEHCI.kext. Make sure you read Superhai's README on VoodooUSBEHCI or it will not work properly and could cause USB to stop working!

Download ClamshellDisplay.kext below and use OSx86 tools to install it. This will let you close the lid to sleep the display.

ALTERNATE FOR XPS M1330 NVIDIA USERS ONLY

If you are using Superhai's DSDT.aml above, you can skip ClamshellDisplay.kext and use a different method to get lid-sleep working. Open up the Info.plist inside NVInject.kext and add the following:

<key>@0,built-in</key>
 <data>AQ==</data>

This will tell OS X that you have a laptop screen and use the built-in lid-sleep functionality. Superhai's DSDT.aml also has the added bonus of allowing AppleBacklight.kext to load.

END ALTERNATE

ALTERNATE FOR XPS M1530 USERS ONLY

If you used Brandon2004/Chrysaor's DSDT.aml then you do NOT need ClamshellDisplay!

END ALTERNATE

It is also important that you DO NOT have a BIOS boot password set. I could not get sleep working for the longest time and finally figured out that having a BIOS password caused the notebook to fail to return from sleep.

Keyboards/Trackpads

Install VoodooPS2Controller.kext. This kext supports two-finger scrolling, scroll zones, etc natively. The one available on the Chameleon website currently has a few bugs. Please use the one I have attached below.

During installation make sure you check the Trackpad option so you can control the kexts options from System Preferences.

Battery

Just install Superhai's VoodooBattery.kext

SpeedStep

If you wish to use MercurySquad's speedstep kext:

See here for a kext that will get SpeedStep working on vanilla and voodoo kernels. It is called IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext. Please note that Superhai's kext is better for newer CPUs (i.e. Core2Duos) while MercurySquad's has a broad range of support.

This kext is preferred if you are going to use the voodoo kernel with your system.

If you wish to use Superhai's speedstep kext:

Visit Superhai's page and download the VoodooPower kext. Install it using OSx86 tools. This should be all you need to do. The kernel manages the CPU throttling. The Application is for fine tuning your throttling and seeing the current status.

If you have problems go to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=0&start=0

Card Reader

This kext supports only SD/SDHC cards right now. It is still in beta. It is called IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext. It is uploaded below.

Useful Applications

AppCleaner -> A better uninstaller

The Unarchiver -> Supports more archive formats (like 7zip)

Transmission -> A good Bittorrent client for Mac OS X.

Adium -> A good multi-protocol IM client for OS X

Growl -> A cool message system for OS X

VMWare Fusion 2 -> Probably the best VM software for Mac. Runs great on our Hackintoshes.

Onyx -> Common Mac system maintenance

Kext Helper -> Another Kext Tool that is quite popular

And obviously, Firefox and Thunderbird

General kext Installation

There are two ways to install a kext: manual and using OSx86 Tools. I recommend the latter. This is because this way is easy and it will do it for you. All you have to do is open OSx86 Tools and click "Install Kexts". Follow the prompts and you are done.

Here is the manual way:

Use Finder to move the kext into /System/Libray/Extensions. Open up a terminal and modify the permissions:

sudo chmod -R 755 SomeKext.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel SomeKext.kext

Now open DiskUtil and repair permissions. I know we just got done setting permissions but this is to ensure everything is as it should be and something is not going to prevent OS X from booting again.

Now we need to delete the kext cache:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Be VERY careful you don't tell it to delete your Extensions folder!

Note that the same thing can be accomplished by using the -f flag at the Chameleon boot prompt.

All kexts in /System/Library/Extensions will autoload upon boot. This should do it for your new kext. While the system should automatically detect the presence of a new kext and automatically load it, I would reboot anyway just to make sure everything is working ship shape.

Special thanks go to macgirl, sonotone, Chrysaor, Brandon2004, netkas, Urthwhyte, and loonsta for contributing to this guide. If I have forgotten anything or stuff needs clarification, post below and I will try to clarify/update the tutorial.

Extra special thanks to Superhai and talisman. Superhai has given us quite a bit of functionality that wouldn't work properly otherwise. talisman has been a driving force in getting the M1530 working 100% in OS X.

macgirl has an extensive thread on Dell OS X installs -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83039

The following is talisman's guide to installing on an MBR partitioned hard disk:

What you will need:

1. A computer with a MBR partitioned hard drive

2. An external hard drive or flash drive with a GUID Partition Table with a minimum of 15GB space

3. Retail DVD (not the one which comes with Macs) or another computer which has OS X installed in it.

4. Boot 132 CD (if you are using the retail DVD)

5. All the extra kexts and the modified ones that you need to get your system up and running.

6. A Live CD (Ubuntu or Fedora or anything) in case your MBR gets screwed up.

7. Windows Install DVD in case your Windows refuses to boot

Note: this method can also be used to install non-retail versions of OS X and is a good way of testing your install before printing it on your machine.

Note: This has been tested on a OSX / Vista / Fedora multiboot only. So try it at your own risk.

What you will do:

My method: (I had OS X running on one machine so I did it this way)

1. Partition your external hard drive with a GUID Partition table as detailed in the tutorial. I suggest making two partitions, one Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and another NTFS. THIS WILL DELETE ALL YOUR DATA ON YOUR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

2. Insert the Retail DVD. Let it mount.

3. Open a terminal and type:

cd /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

open OSInstall.mpkg

This will allow you to install OS X without rebooting.

5. Choose the external drive you want to use as the install disk. Continue with installation.

4. Follow the tutorial on installation, adding / modifying kexts after the installation is complete. Don't forget the DSDT.aml if you are planning to upgrade to 10.5.6.

5. Read till the end of this tutorial.

Alternate Method: (If you don't have a running OS X install)

1. Partition your external hard drive with a GUID Partition table as detailed in the tutorial. I suggest making two partitions, one Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and another NTFS. THIS WILL DELETE ALL YOUR DATA ON YOUR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

2. Follow the tutorial on installing OS X, but choose the external hard drive.

3. Follow the tutorial on installation, adding / modifying kexts after the installation is complete. Don't forget the DSDT.aml if you are planning to upgrade to 10.5.6.

4. Read till the end of this tutorial.

Note: At this point you do not need the Chameleon Boot Loader, but there is no harm in installing it on your external hard drive.

What happens now??:

1. Reboot your machine and boot from your external hard drive (press F12 on a Dell when the Dell logo comes on)

2. Voila!! You should have OS X running. Go through the registrations and make sure you get to the desktop without any catastrophes.

3. (This step might not be necessary if you can chown and chmod without problems) If everything works well, reboot your machine and boot with you Install DVD. Go to Tools/Utilities and select Reset Password. Select the external hard drive and reset the password for the user and the root and reset the ownership.

4. Boot your OS X install a few times to make sure everything works as desired. Don't worry about trivial things like sound not working, etc, as that can be fixed later.

5. If you want to upgrade OS X, this is the time to do it. Follow the tutorial.

Getting this on a real machine:

You have two options:

1. While booted from your external hard drive, open disk utilities and select Restore. Choose the external as the source and you computer partition (MBR Mac OS X Extended Journaled) as the destination and continue.

2. Boot from your Retail DVD and do the same thing from the Utilities menu.

Installing Chameleon:

Once Restore is complete, boot from your external hard drive and install Chameleon and pc_efi v9 on your computer hard drive.

Once again, reboot your machine and boot with you Install DVD. Go to Tools/Utilities and select Reset Password. Select the computer hard drive and reset the password for the user and the root and reset the ownership.

You should be good to go. However, read the tutorial till the end.

Troubleshooting:

1. If you are using an external USB mouse, you might have problems with selecting things and in Disk Utilities while Restoring. Disconnect the mouse, reboot the machine and use the trackpad. You can later install the drivers for the mouse (happened with my Logitech VX Revolution).

2. If after installing chameleon your Vista refuses to boot, then boot with the Vista Install DVD and select Repair Installation and then Repair Startup.

3. If you partition your computer hard drive after installing GRUB, you will srew up grub. So make sure you do the partitioning from your linux install and fix grub accordingly. If you already made the mistake, use the Ubuntu/Fedora Live CD to repair GRUB. If you don't know how to, Google it.

AppleDecrypt.kext.zip

IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext.zip

ClamshellDisplay.kext.zip

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext.zip

SMBIOSResolver.kext.zip

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

I'd rather not simply because you can get it quite easily from the thread I linked to. That kext is also in beta right now so it should be updated quite a few more times on the IntelEnhancedSpeedStep thread. You are better off visiting the thread and following the directions there on using it. They tell you exactly what you need to do.

Well I have some very good news on the Dell XPS M1330 system. I have it running with most things working. Even the Dell Wireless 1395 card.

Here is what I did.

1. Go into the bios set the drive to ATA and disable multicore, speed step and all other cpu {censored}.

2. Boot off the iAktos 4 cd. (Every time I tried to customize the install it would not work so I gave up.) Install with out ANY customizations.

3. When it is done you MUST reboot with boot options -x.

4. Go through the registration....

5. Put the DellPackage_35b.zip on a usb stick and install the PKG file inside.

a. The Intel X3100 display kext did not work but I can play with that

b. The Dell Wireless 1395 DOES work.

6. After you have installed what you want reboot

7. Go back in to the BIOS and turn it all back on except AHCI. The os would not boot with the drive like that.

The only thing is I cannot tell if it sees the system as a 64bit system or 32bit. If a uname -a is to be believed from the term window then it is running i386 code. Can some one tell me how to check if it is running 64 or 32bits and multi core cpus. The system profiler shows me Core2Duo.

Louis

Well I have some very good news on the Dell XPS M1330 system. I have it running with most things working. Even the Dell Wireless 1395 card.

The only thing is I cannot tell if it sees the system as a 64bit system or 32bit. If a uname -a is to be believed from the term window then it is running i386 code. Can some one tell me how to check if it is running 64 or 32bits and multi core cpus. The system profiler shows me Core2Duo.

Louis

Thanks for the info about the Dell Wireless 1395 card. That has been added.

Check the "Hardware" section under system profiler. It should say "Total Number Of Cores: 2".

Leopard is a hybrid 64-bit system. I believe the kernel is still i386. Snow Leopard will be the first all 64-bit OS X.

Thanks for the info about the Dell Wireless 1395 card. That has been added.

Check the "Hardware" section under system profiler. It should say "Total Number Of Cores: 2".

Leopard is a hybrid 64-bit system. I believe the kernel is still i386. Snow Leopard will be the first all 64-bit OS X.

Then I hope the "Snow" comes before winter.... :)

Louis

What is the best way to begin a dual boot? I have an XPS M1330 with a 320GB drive that is partition defaulty, and I want to make a 30GB or so partition for OS X. The thing is it would have to be MBR and not GUID so that I could keep Windows Vista working. Most of the install methods call for formatting GUID. Is this going to be a problem? Also, will I be able to use chain0 to dualboot with Vista since it's partitioned MBR?

I followed multiple guides including mac girls and no matter what I do on my xps m1330 using iAtkos 4i and disabling core, ata etc. I get it to boot I see a blue leopard screen for about a second then the display completely turns itself off, it goes black. I removed the NVDAResman.kext like suggested but it still did not work. I also used -x boot mode and I do not have a nvdia graphics on my laptop, just the standard internal graphics.

I followed multiple guides including mac girls and no matter what I do on my xps m1330 using iAtkos 4i and disabling core, ata etc. I get it to boot I see a blue leopard screen for about a second then the display completely turns itself off, it goes black. I removed the NVDAResman.kext like suggested but it still did not work. I also used -x boot mode and I do not have a nvdia graphics on my laptop, just the standard internal graphics.

First of all, did you use my guide? Second, your problem is with the Intel graphics. That kext is experimental right now. Check macgirl's thread for more information regarding that.

dasepsilon, how do you have your XPS 1330 configured? Do you have the correct display resolution and everything? How did you install OS X?

thefinalprophecy, you really have two options. If you wish to continue to use the Vista bootloader, you will have to keep the HD mbr and forgo using gfx strings since you are not running EFI emulation (Chameleon). You could also possibly use Grub to boot Windows with a GUID partition table. I know v.97 supports GUID. I am not an expert on dual booting, however. You will have to search the forums for more detailed answers to your questions.

Alright, I'm gonna try and figure out the dual boot. I just partitioned myself 10 gigs using GParted LiveCD, we'll see how it goes. Have you tried using the new JaS 10.5.4 disc yet? I tried today and I could not even start it up. I got this message. Tried it in both AHCI mode and ATA mode.

post-68101-1218581470_thumb.jpg

After many unsuccessful attempts to get hardware acceleration working on my 8400, your guide got me up and running in minutes. Between you and Mac Girl you two have made my transition to OSX a very smooth ride.

Thanks again we all appreciate your help.

-CDRZ

Alright, I'm gonna try and figure out the dual boot. I just partitioned myself 10 gigs using GParted LiveCD, we'll see how it goes. Have you tried using the new JaS 10.5.4 disc yet? I tried today and I could not even start it up. I got this message. Tried it in both AHCI mode and ATA mode.

I had that error when I tried to use a Leo4All disk. From what I was able to find no one knows what a solution is.

I've installed iatkos 4, and used partially your tutorial.

There are somethings I still do not understand.

1) Boot:

Windows uses the partition to boot. Make it active (boot flag) and it boots. Install it in another partition that doesn't have this flag and it will screw the current active partition or change the partition where it was installed to active.

Linux boots using images. Put a loader into your MBR (or partition) and make it boot into an image.

Where does this chameleon or EFIv8 enters ? I've seen it booting directly from partition and using Grub to load them. What are the correct names for this kinds of boot ?

2) Speedstep:

To use this EnhancedSpeedStep do I have to delete some factory KExts ? The GUI apps aren't running, I simply click them and nothing happens.

3) Sleep:

My M1330 have a terrible insomnia. It never sleeps, and when it sleeps, it doesn't wake up. I'm not sure, but appears that If I install Sonotone's pack Sleep Enabler, my USB stops working.

4) Audio:

Once upon a time I managed to make my STAC9228 work using Azalia + AppleHDA. Now it's not working anymore. Tried to install Sonotone's pack and remove AppleHDA (already using MacGirl's magic), and it still not works.

5) Bluetooth:

I found a strange thing. If I boot into Windows and hibernate or turn off the Bluetooth adapter, and then boot into OSX, the Bluetooth adapter is not recognized any more. It only detects that there is a "thing" in the USB. I still need to confirm this.

EDIT: Confirmed. If you get out of Vista with Bluetooth disabled, it won't work on OSX. Doesn't matter if its hibernating or not.

6) Graphics:

I've got Core Image, Quartz Extreme and Quartz GL running on hardware, by using MacGirl's EFI String (Great solution, I wish to know more details about it). But I still feel my friend's MacBook (GMA Powered) more smooth than my Geforce 8400M (Specially the opening animation from dashboard). In "Apple -> About This Mac -> More Info..." shows my display driver loaded as NVInject, although I do not have any NVInject KExts.

7) AHCI:

iATKOs 4 does not boot with vanilla AHCI KExts, but in it's installer configuration there is a KExt for SATA drives, and it worked here. Latter I replaced the AHCI KExts with the ones you provided. I just don't know if it's really running with AHCI. Just having it enabled in BIOS means it's working in AHCI mode ?

8) Network:

OK, now I hate my Intel 4965AGN. Is it really better than Dell's branded N Card ?

Great, I've got also an Broadcom 59xx LAN and now my Hackintosh is incommunicable.

Thanks for the tutorial. :censored2:

I think I'm gonna hold off on putting OS X on my laptop's internal hard drive for now. There isn't really a practical way to have both OS X and Vista installed at the same time, especially while retaining my current Vista installation. Thanks for the guide though--I'll keep it saved for later!

I've installed iatkos 4, and used partially your tutorial.

There are somethings I still do not understand.

1) Boot:

Windows uses the partition to boot. Make it active (boot flag) and it boots. Install it in another partition that doesn't have this flag and it will screw the current active partition or change the partition where it was installed to active.

Linux boots using images. Put a loader into your MBR (or partition) and make it boot into an image.

Where does this chameleon or EFIv8 enters ? I've seen it booting directly from partition and using Grub to load them. What are the correct names for this kinds of boot ?

OS X will boot via MBR and with EFI. EFI uses a GUID partition table (there is a link to the wikipedia article in my tutorial). EFI is Intel's replacement for the traditional BIOS. To my knowledge, Apple is the only company currently implementing it in any retail products. Please read the wikipedia article. It explains it all.

2) Speedstep:

To use this EnhancedSpeedStep do I have to delete some factory KExts ? The GUI apps aren't running, I simply click them and nothing happens.

If you used iAtkos none of the bad extensions should be installed. As the speedstep page says, ensure that ACPICPUThrottle.kext and/or AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext are not installed prior to loading the module.

Please see my post on correctly changing these permissions to get it to run. You can automatically get SpeedStep.app to load at startup by adding a link to it in System Preferences->Accounts->Logon Items

Which apps did you try? If Speedstep, you need to modify its permissions in order to get it to run.

3) Sleep:

My M1330 have a terrible insomnia. It never sleeps, and when it sleeps, it doesn't wake up. I'm not sure, but appears that If I install Sonotone's pack Sleep Enabler, my USB stops working.

I have found that Sonotone's installer sometimes deletes a crucial kext needed for USB to work. Ensure that IOUSBFamily still exists in /System/Library/Extensions. If it does not, copy it from the Backup folder in the DellLaptops folder that Sonotone's installer creates in the root of the drive back into /System/Library/Extensions.

As for sleep, I still don't have good sleep working. My laptop will always sleep but will wake up probably 1 in 20 times. I am unsure how to fix it.

4) Audio:

Once upon a time I managed to make my STAC9228 work using Azalia + AppleHDA. Now it's not working anymore. Tried to install Sonotone's pack and remove AppleHDA (already using MacGirl's magic), and it still not works.

No, you need AppleHDA from Sonotone's pack. That is the information needed to make the soundcard work. The kext you can delete is HDAEnabler.kext

5) Bluetooth:

I found a strange thing. If I boot into Windows and hibernate or turn off the Bluetooth adapter, and then boot into OSX, the Bluetooth adapter is not recognized any more. It only detects that there is a "thing" in the USB. I still need to confirm this.

EDIT: Confirmed. If you get out of Vista with Bluetooth disabled, it won't work on OSX. Doesn't matter if its hibernating or not.

Yes, that is a known issue. I think the laptop remembers the settings or something between boots. I just keep Bluetooth on all of the time and just use my wireless switch to turn off all radios. Plus, I have that Bluetooth bug where OS X does not enable it at boot time. This is a bug on real Apples as well. It can be rectified by going to /Applications/Utilities/Bluetooth File Exchange, opening it, and choosing "Turn Bluetooth On".

6) Graphics:

I've got Core Image, Quartz Extreme and Quartz GL running on hardware, by using MacGirl's EFI String (Great solution, I wish to know more details about it). But I still feel my friend's MacBook (GMA Powered) more smooth than my Geforce 8400M (Specially the opening animation from dashboard). In "Apple -> About This Mac -> More Info..." shows my display driver loaded as NVInject, although I do not have any NVInject KExts.

I am not sure what to tell you about the smoothness. It all seems fine to me. Remember this NOT a real Mac so...

As for the nvinject part, I think that is just the model ID that macgirl kept in when she created the gfx-string. She probably used nvinject to help her get the string. This has nothing else to do with the actual nvinject kext.

7) AHCI:

iATKOs 4 does not boot with vanilla AHCI KExts, but in it's installer configuration there is a KExt for SATA drives, and it worked here. Latter I replaced the AHCI KExts with the ones you provided. I just don't know if it's really running with AHCI. Just having it enabled in BIOS means it's working in AHCI mode ?

It should. The hard disk controller switches modes and then it is up to the OS to support it.

8) Network:

OK, now I hate my Intel 4965AGN. Is it really better than Dell's branded N Card ?

Great, I've got also an Broadcom 59xx LAN and now my Hackintosh is incommunicable.

I personally think Intel's chipset is probably better but given that the Dell 1505 works and the Intel does not, I am currently using the 1505. When iwidarwin is mature enough for me to switch back to my Intel, I will do so. As for your wired ethernet, both of the authors of the 570X drivers either do not have source code to share or refuse to share their source code. Thus, since I am going to try and make a working driver, I am going to have to start from scratch. Obviously this may take me a little while (I know C/C++ but have never written a driver/IOKit stuff before). We shall see.

Great tutorial, here's how I got everything to work!

My specs real quick:

Dell XPS m1330 (obviously!)

Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz

2GB RAM

160GB SATA

X3100 Graphics

Dell W1395

Bluetooth

Anyway, here's my steps:

1: Disable AHCP in BIOS

2: Using iATKOS v4i, loaded it up using -v (it was the only way I could get it to load)

3: Setup the partition just like in the first post (GPUID)

4: On Customize option, selected 9.4.0 Kernel and SATA under system, then installed, when restarted booted up with -x to go through original setup.

5: Downloaded the LeoAHCP.zip at the top and followed the instructions to copy that over.

6: Installed Chameleon EFI off OSx86 Tools and then checked Repair Permissions, Set Extensions Permissions, and Clear Extensions Cache.

7: Rebooted and changed the BIOS settings back to AHCP then started up with -x again.

8: Downloaded DellPackage 0.3.3 and ran that.

9: Selected to install X3100, Dell W1395 wireless, Sigmatel 9228 for sound, then installed them.

10: Then I ran Repair Permissions and then deleted ONLY AppleIntelFrameBuffer.kext.

11: I restarted the computer, it came on then went black and I pushed the power button and waited 2 seconds and it showed full 1280x800. I just had to click cancel on the Shutdown/Restart/Sleep/Cancel dialog box.

That's how mine is working right now. No SleepDisplay apps running or anything special. Let me know if this works for anyone else! And if you have any questions let me know!

EDIT: Nevermind, for some reason it worked a couple times but not anymore...weird. But I did put in the SleepDisplayScript.app mod and it works just fine now. I'm just happy to be running full graphics...oh so happy!

First of all a big thank you to wingurn for making this lovely guide and answering my questions. Also to macgirl and the others people who documented their work on the m1330.

Okay I have got my quad boot laptop somewhat up and running however I need a few clarifications. I could not completely follow this guide because I quad booted and had to use MBR instead of Guid(I still don't fully understand the difference and I do not know if windows will function under guid). I just did a clean iatkos4i install with the default stuff checked no extras. On to the questions ...

1 Can i still update using the official mac updater or am I going to get errors?

Edit: Works fine

2 After searching I still do not fully grasp the meaning of chameleon or darwin (I used grub and it loads darwin and efi- that is all I know) Is there a difference in performance of the two?

Edit: I somewhat figured it out from people at irc and I answered my own questions.

3 I still cannot get sound to work! I got it working once than when after a few reboots I lost it and tried everything including reinstalling the drivers and it did not come back. Any suggestions (I used the HDA from macgirl and sonotones packages initially)

Edit: Sounds seems to be working with the 9.4 kernel yesterday but as of today darwin would not even boot. Im going to switch back kernels and see what happens

Edit: I did a stupid mistake and moved mach_kernel. Everything works perfectly now except i have to sleep and unsleep to get sound functional and its not working through headphone jacks.

4 Can I install the vanilla stuff and still get a quad boot setup going or is the fact that I only use one hard drive with partitions make that impossible? Is there any notable difference if you use vanilla or the iAtkos I am using now?

Edit: I found out from Irc Channels whats its about and updated.

5. I know you could not get sleep to work either... but hopefully you can keep us updated because it does not work for me too...

Edit: Sleeped worked beautifully after I switched kernels but as I said earlier, this morning darwin won't even load.going to switch back and trouble shoot

Edit2: See above everything works including Sleep!

It seems updating the kernel to 9.4 did the trick!

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Long live Osx86 !

@straddy

It is a known issue see mac girls thread for possible fixes

There are no known fixes for shutdown/restart. You just have to manually power off the computer. The only way to get shutdown/restart working correctly is to not use the correct graphics resolutions. Something in the nvidia drivers does not get unloaded at shutdown and prevents the computer from properly turning off.

Velocium, which 9.4 kernel are you talking about? Vanilla? I am currently on 9.4 vanilla and it does not work for me. Could you perhaps upload your kernel?

Well I am lost. I just got my XPS 1330 yesterday, popped out Dell's hard drive and ram, and put in newer/better versions I had purchased from newegg. Booted up, went into BIOS and disabled everything CPU related (speedstep, virtualization, flash cache, etc) and tried to then boot off my Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD (which I first used on my desktop machine). It hung at the point in the picture. So I tried to use sonotone's CD with my retail OSX disc (10.5.1) and it hung in the same spot as well. I'm not seeing any glaring errors being reported, but it was hung at the point in the picture for 20+ minutes before I finally shut it down.

Anyone have any ideas? I am currently grabbing iATKOS 4i, and a newer Kalyway disc (10.5.2) to see if either of those would work. Fearing that my LAPTOP was DOA, I put the original Dell drive back in and booted into Vista SP1 just fine, everything was working on the computer except that I could not get the finger print reader to read my fingerprints.

XPS Config:

Intel C2D T8300 CPU

4 GB DDR (2x2)

WLED 13.3" screen

Nvidia 8400GS 128mb video card

160GB hard drive (tried in ATA and AHCI modes)

High Definition Audio

Dell Wireless 1505

Dell Bluetooth 355 module

post-166278-1219149570_thumb.jpg