Forum Sig's rules need to be enforced

24 posts in this topic

All those users should be warned like me I was once.. And I understand why. It's not very complicated to make a little graphic like mine or just write the "important" info useful for others. Ex: Mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU, OS'es used, CD-DVD media, HDD. Anyway, I don't put the blame on anybody but when you respect the rules, you respect the others members around you (and it sound funny but it's true!)

Well the Signature & Avatar Rules are clear, but the fact is that with so much else to do, enforcing them becomes a low priority. Generally, I contact all the more extreme cases I come across, but this naturally means that there are hundreds of badly oversize & thousands of rule-breaking sigs out there.

Personally I feel that the sig should *at least* be shorter than the post its attached to, but some people love to make a big number out of their sig. I've seen some forums where a thread is 85% sig & only 15% post, I hope we never have to face that here. Other than asking that everyone please try to stick to the rules, and dealing with the worst offenders first, I don't see what more we can really do...

Unless we want to unleash the great sig. pogrom of 2008? :)

I honestly believe that the staff is doing a great job of keeping this in chcek. I used to have an oversized sig myself, and now after I got warned I understand why it is so important for the integrity of the forum. So don't worry, it will start to shape up soon, maybe this thread go across to some people.

I honestly believe that the staff is doing a great job of keeping this in chcek. I used to have an oversized sig myself, and now after I got warned I understand why it is so important for the integrity of the forum. So don't worry, it will start to shape up soon, maybe this thread go across to some people.

20080806-qenwkk5pjegkcccfb3bf6sr3yn.jpg

Congratulations and thanks for your testimonial! The first step is admitting you have a problem! :D

I think Hagar's said everything that was needed to be said from a staffs point of view. Oversized sigs can be annoying but spammers for me are worse and I think this is where the staff generally priorities. We do ask some sigs and avatars to be changed every now and again but often a lot go undetected and so I apologies.

I would hope though it be a reasonable request to ask our members to report any sig or avatar that grotesquely breaks the rules by hitting the report button on the bottom-left of the post (as some of you already do). Then a Mod can ask the user to make changes. That way we can have a more pleasant browsing experience on this forum of ours. :D

There are a lot of people here with sigs larger than the size limit, but as forums go Insanelymac isn't too bad. The other forum I'm active on is ridiculous, huge sigs that look awful and waste space.

I only discovered that there was a rule on signatures today with which I will of course happily comply! However I am rather annoyed that I was not sent a PM or e-mail or some other polite way of telling me there was a rule and I needed to comply with it.

Instead my signature was deleted and a message and link to the signature rules put in its place.

Please moderators be courteous and then people will happily comply.

I fail to understand why people need to list ALL their specs in a space consuming picture.

Seriously who cares?

I anyway have signatures off, in the settings.

[/rant]

Noone has really mentioned the left hand bar attached to everyones post. It has your avatar, your member #, rank, and etc. regardless of your signature size that thing kills 2 inches on every post. especially the one liner posts.

well then mine sig is probably too big too, has much info in it to help people but will be compliant to shrink when really needed.

Yes, I believe it is too big - that is around the size mine was - all text no graphics and it got deleted - that's the bit that annoyed me because it was my record of the components in my machine and now if I need to refer to any of them i am going to have to open the machine and check on the spec inside it (I have a few machines and also build ones for friends so I am never too sure what is in which machine). A simple message telling me there was a rule about signatures and I needed to change mine would have been courteous and effective.

I have adjusted mine to fit in less than 5 lines of text so i should be able to just forget about it now!

"A signature (from Latin signare, "sign") is a handwritten (and sometimes stylized) depiction of someone's name, nickname or even a simple "X" that a person writes on documents as a proof of identity and intent. The writer of a signature is a signatory. Like a handwritten signature, a signature work describes the work as readily identifying its creator."

In some cases is good to have people putting their links to useful guides or sites.

But others want to have the whole declaration of independence. There is no use for that, we dont rally care if your memory is corsair or kingston, the mount is fine but even that it does not matter, we dont care if your disks are seagate or western digital, even the size does not matter, people detailing their RIGS with exquisit details is just a show-off.

Things that help are chipset and processor brand, method of installation in most cases is irrelevant, but version of OS is not.

We are not a board of harware exhibitionism, more important is the software pieces (kexts in this case).