[FS]: Airport Extreme 802.11b/g/n desktop PCI Wireless Adapter

Guest BuildSmart

21 posts in this topic

Guest BuildSmart

Are you looking for an 802.11n wireless PCI desktop adapter and want a natively supported card without the struggle of trying to get it recognized as a real apple card?

I have two PCI card that have been rebranded and are recognized as a real Apple Airport Extreme card, tested in the original Apple Installer DVD and in 10.5.4.

These are new cards, cost of each adapter is $50.00 plush shipping, the catch, I bought the cards new today for $94.00 because I need to disassemble the antennas for R&D purposes and I needed them today and couldn't wait.

You can buy the LinkSYS WMP300N antenna for under $20.00 delivered to your door or buy 3 whips for under $15.00 delivered to your door, these can be found on fleabay.

If you purchase both adapters I will supply antennas or ship for free.

Are you looking for an 802.11n wireless PCI desktop adapter and want a natively supported card without the struggle of trying to get it recognized as a real apple card?

I have two PCI card that have been rebranded and are recognized as a real Apple Airport Extreme card, tested in the original Apple Installer DVD and in 10.5.4.

These are new cards, cost of each adapter is $50.00 plush shipping, the catch, I bought the cards new today for $94.00 because I need to disassemble the antennas for R&D purposes and I needed them today and couldn't wait.

You can buy the LinkSYS WMP300N antenna for under $20.00 delivered to your door or buy 3 whips for under $15.00 delivered to your door, these can be found on fleabay.

If you purchase both adapters I will supply antennas and ship for free.

Check my signature... full native support...

Guest BuildSmart
Check my signature... full native support...
These cards provide full native support, no editing required and work fully with TC because they are detected as original apple equipment where the D-Link does not.

Also, D-Link cards do not connect at speeds greater than 130mbps in OSX, I am currently the only source for a desktop cards that will connect at 300mbps in OSX but due to low quantity cost is expensive, I'd have to retail for $130.00 plus shipping and would only make a couple of dollars since I have to package and include windows drivers.

Both Atheros and Broadcom made OEM cards for me based on my specifications (I really like the Broadcom card and also comes in SFF as well).

The Atheros card comes in external antennas and a stealth model which uses internal laptop antennas so can't tell wireless is installed/available.

SFF --> Short Form Factor (fits Low Profile cases)

Guest BuildSmart
how much for the SFF
Depends on the quantity you want but I think I mentioned the price in a previous post in this thread.

If you want 100 cards it's about $11,000.00, if you want 1,000 cards it's around $70,000.00 and if you want 10,000 cards it's about $250,000.00.

These costs are based on quantity, it's nice to say I can buy the card for $22.00 a peice, add a CD (not CDR) and whitebox for $3.00 making a total of $25.00 but for that price I have to pay for 10,000 cards and not likely to occur unless someone wants at least 7,500 of the cards and pays in advance.

If you want just the new card as supplied by the manufacturer with windows drivers it's $130.00, without windows drivers it's $120.00 and you'd have to wait until I have about 50 buyers who have given a deposit, I'm not about to order 100 cards just to sell one and the cards would be the Broadcom based card since Atheros minimum quantity is 1,000 so unlikely I'll be ordering these.

If you have a card like the WMP300N or WLI-PCI-G300N and just want the SFF bracket for it's $20.00, S/H included.

If you want one of the rebranded b/g/n cards (WLI-PCI-G300N) with SFF bracket just add $20.00 to the card price and it will be outfitted with the SFF bracket.

One more thing to consider, Broadcom and Atheros developed these cards at their own expense, if I don't go ahead with a production run they will manufacturer the card for someone else looking for a card with similar functionality.

And with the Broadcom card, a delay of one week before a production run can occur because I made a change in antennas, I found a square puck like Dell external laptop antenna that has better gain than any other antennas I've tried so they are making the change and will be sending me one of the cards when it has been completed which is supposed to be this friday.

I would like to do the same with the Atheros card however I will have to commit to a production run with Atheros and it's uneconomical for me to do so so unless someone wants 7,500 of the Atheros cards so I doubt they will be produced under the PCP (Peavy Computer Parts) name but they may over the course of the next year be produced by someone else.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BuildSmart

Well, I have 9 more days to find 6 more people to purchase one of these wireless adapters to bring the total up to 75, all I can tell you is that if I am unable to authorize a production run no later than 09/29/08 then this product will not be available and only I will have benefited (OK by me) from Broadcom's generosity of developing an OEM card for me at their expense.

If you want one then please commit by posting here, serious responses only.

BuildSmart, please count me in for one. I'm moving a lot of large files around my home network. I've got the Linksys WMP300N working at 130Mbps, but I think I'll appreciate the speed increase to 300Mbps.

Thanks!

Guest BuildSmart
BuildSmart, please count me in for one. I'm moving a lot of large files around my home network. I've got the Linksys WMP300N working at 130Mbps, but I think I'll appreciate the speed increase to 300Mbps.

Thanks!

Noted, if I get the count (I can afford to pay for 25 myself) authorize the production run and contact people for funds.

• 2 weeks later...

Are these Broadcom cards PCI, right? I mean, no PCI-Express nor Mini-PCI.

If so, I think right now I can get one, with antennas, cables and/or whatever I have rights to :( and hopefully another one or two at any time soon.

Do you ship overseas? South America has hackint0sh friends ;)

Cheers

Guest BuildSmart
Are these Broadcom cards PCI, right? I mean, no PCI-Express nor Mini-PCI.

If so, I think right now I can get one, with antennas, cables and/or whatever I have rights to :P and hopefully another one or two at any time soon.

Do you ship overseas? South America has hackint0sh friends :)

Cheers

Yes, these are Broadcom based 802.11b/g/n desktop PCI wireless adapters.

I'll ship anywhere you want outside of the US, I accept Western Union for payment from people outside the US, you would be responsible for shipping expenses, duties and taxes.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to drop a quick note in here. I purchased this card from BuildSmart a few weeks ago. It arrived well packaged and quickly. I proceeded to replace the card I was using (WMP300N) with this one. I needed to edit my kext because my installation had modified it. Otherwise it was really just plug and go.

The card has been much more stable than my old one. I haven't been able to do any quantitative comparisons yet, but performance feels better too. I think the price was worth it for a card that "just works" and does so very well.

Guest BuildSmart
I just wanted to drop a quick note in here. I purchased this card from BuildSmart a few weeks ago. It arrived well packaged and quickly. I proceeded to replace the card I was using (WMP300N) with this one. I needed to edit my kext because my installation had modified it. Otherwise it was really just plug and go.

The card has been much more stable than my old one. I haven't been able to do any quantitative comparisons yet, but performance feels better too. I think the price was worth it for a card that "just works" and does so very well.

chrand, thank you for the favorable post however I would like to add, the card that chrand purchased was not one of the $50.00 rebranded cards but the OEM AirPort 802.11a/b/g/n desktop PCIe cards at a cost of $135.00 + shipping which gives him a real AirPort card with full AirPort functionality and to the best of my knowledge is the only fully supported plug and play desktop adapter.

I wanna second chrand's post. BuildSmart sent me a Broadcom card about 2 weeks ago -- 1 week lagged on my country's postal service. It was really well packaged and worked almost instantly. Also as chrand, I had to edit my kext to get card working, mainly because of Kaly's modified drivers -- and faced a minor issue I've fixed by running Network Assistant. It was working in a couple minutes, and it is indeed plug and play.

I'm very happy with the card, did some speed tests and it looks very fast. If anyone is looking for a decent wireless card, there is no better choice.

Kudos to this guy :)

Guest BuildSmart
I wanna second chrand's post. BuildSmart sent me a Broadcom card about 2 weeks ago -- 1 week lagged on my country's postal service. It was really well packaged and worked almost instantly. Also as chrand, I had to edit my kext to get card working, mainly because of Kaly's modified drivers -- and faced a minor issue I've fixed by running Network Assistant. It was working in a couple minutes, and it is indeed plug and play.

I'm very happy with the card, did some speed tests and it looks very fast. If anyone is looking for a decent wireless card, there is no better choice.

Kudos to this guy :)

Thanks for the favorable post, for clarification, Alex HQuest purchased one of the $50.00 rebranded wireless adapters, this adapter was verified to work with the original unmodified Leopard install DVD and it seems that several solutions to add support for other adapters in the kalyway/iatkos installers seem to either swap out or remove original apple provided ID's or substitute the entire IO80211Family driver or plugins in an attempt to make other cards work, restoring these drivers to original makes the card functional.

• 1 month later...

Guys, just get yourself a normal WMP300N rev 1 card... it's the one with the broadcom 4329 chipset... then follow the instructions in this post to rebrand your card: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=121293

Now you have a fully working wireless b/g/n card recognized as an Airport Extreme Card.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BuildSmart
Guys, just get yourself a normal WMP300N rev 1 card... it's the one with the broadcom 4329 chipset... then follow the instructions in this post to rebrand your card: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=121293

Now you have a fully working wireless b/g/n card recognized as an Airport Extreme Card.

Considering the cost (and risk) it's cheaper to buy a card from me with warranty when in stock than it is to buy one for more money and have no warranty.

If you perform the rebrand and something goes wrong, you don't have any warranty and stuck with a card that's no good, something to consider when trying this yourself.

• 4 months later...
Can we still order one of your adapters? How?

I am also interested in ordering 2-3 pci wireless adapters. I have been very frustrated by ordering several different wireless cards (pci and usb) and havent been successful getting anything working on a boot-132 retail Leopard install. Please PM or email me if these are available for purchase.

Thanks,

-D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I’m also interested in one of these cards! Please PM! Thanks very much!

I just need a wifi card which runs natively without any drivers/patching. I’m searching for about three hours now but I can’t find a PCI-Card which runs natively.

If BuildSmart has no cards anymore, has somebody any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!