Want to safely overclock my Q6600

JustinAiken

24 posts in this topic

Stability is more important than speed, but I figure I might as well get a little extra out of my CPU... :(

You can see my specs in my sig... what can I do to overclock it just a bit? To the point of not worry about crashes or causing problems? My chip isn't the G0 btw...

You can try to raise up the fsb up by 10 fsb, but try around 3 ghz, then use orthos(Stress Prime) to test it out for any problems for about 13 hours.

What is the maximum overclock for this processor in stable condition ?

It depends. Not all cpus will have the same limits. There are people only hitting about 3.2-3.4 ghz for the q6600, then there are people hitting near 3.8-4ghz on the q6600. You just have to see how far you can take it to keep it stable.

i have the same CPU & Cooler as you. and im running 3.6GHz. i have 2 exhaust fans and 1 intake fan though. im running at 400*9 with i think about 1.5v set in the bios but my board has a vdrop of about .1

I approved that Hac say right. And it's not very abusive. Just at a good point ! 3.8 Ghz is tricky and I wouldn't stand the risk..

So it really is that easy? You just have to raise the FSB # and you're good?

It's easy, but at the same time, you have to watch out for many things. Like, the mobo temp, the ram temp, the ram timing, and the cpu temp, but if you aren't expecting a big OC like 3.5 ghz and up, then yes, all you have to do is raise the FSB. If you want extreme overclocking, you can mess with the voltage settings, not recommended though if you're new to it all.

try changing the vcore up a littleeee bit. be veryy careful with vcore though

Actually it would be a good idea for him not to touch the vcore at all. Just play around with the FSB and don't over-do it, you'll be fine. If you want to go higher than 3 GHz then I recommend updating the stock coolers to some ThermalTake air coolers or maybe even go water. Good Luck in your overclocking adventure :D

Actually it would be a good idea for him not to touch the vcore at all. Just play around with the FSB and don't over-do it, you'll be fine. If you want to go higher than 3 GHz then I recommend updating the stock coolers to some ThermalTake air coolers or maybe even go water. Good Luck in your overclocking adventure :wacko:

He's not on stock, he's on the arctic cooler 7, which is a very nice cooler. One thing you want to make sure of, make sure that the HSF is secured on the mobo ontop of the cpu, and there's a decent amount of thermal compound past applied to the top of the cpu.

Okay, I reattached the fan again, so far it seems to be working okay at 2.7 GHz... my temps are staying in the mid 40s, peaking around the high 40's, which is just a few degrees higher than at stock speed...

What do they need to stay around to be safe/stable?

Okay, I've got it running pretty good around 3GHz... temp. is usually below 40, every now and then peaking at 42 or 43, but everything's pretty stable.

Only thing is I had to reduce the memory:fsb ratio... overwise I got random lockups... I set the ratio so the the memory is just over 800MHZ in the BIOS, but "About this Mac" tells me it's 667 MHZ? Is that accurate, or does it just read the ratio and not do the math?

Okay, I've got it running pretty good around 3GHz... temp. is usually below 40, every now and then peaking at 42 or 43, but everything's pretty stable.

Only thing is I had to reduce the memory:fsb ratio... overwise I got random lockups... I set the ratio so the the memory is just over 800MHZ in the BIOS, but "About this Mac" tells me it's 667 MHZ? Is that accurate, or does it just read the ratio and not do the math?

Have a look @ my thread from the post 11 to 14 I played around with System Profiler and About this Mac, inspired by the procedure written by aquamac : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=93600&st=0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well.. safely overclock it depends on what u take as safely..

i got a Q6600 with G0 stepping.. i had it at 4.2ghz.. but it needs 0 vdrop for that .. so i did a vmod on the board.. and it needs good cooling..and a fat psu ;)

well.. its simply enough.. if your mems are ddr2 667 or ddr2 800.. just set them on the bios like if they were 533mhz.. so that when you increase the fsb they will increase too.. at least if overclock fails you will know that wasnt from the memorys if they still were bellow the fabric value..and thats will tell you that the problem was voltage on cpu . so add a bit voltage and try again.. it requires some skill and pacience.

but if you want a simple overclock i think you can push it to 3.0 or 3.2 without touching the voltage..