KDE3.5 *MUST* BE SAVED

Alessandro17

33 posts in this topic

KDE 4 is a complete overhaul, but unpaid developers, of COURSE its going to have growing pains.

InorganicMatter, everybody keeps saying that KDE4 has been done by unpaid developers (that is always the case with open source, unless they are paid by some company).

But if your best friend tells you to jump off a cliff for no reason at all, are you going to do that?

But if your best friend tells you to jump off a cliff for no reason at all, are you going to do that?

That wasn't what I was saying. All I am saying is that a code base rewrite of any magnitude, ESPECIALLY one as huge as KDE 4, is going to have serious growing pains. KDE's growing pains have actually been relatively small compared to the growing pains of others (e.g.: Windows Vista, or the soon to be Cocoa rewrite of Adobe CS4). Be patient, or use another product in the meantime. Lots of people I know held onto XP and put off on upgrading to Vista for over a year until the bugs were all ironed out. There's nothing wrong with being patient.

Lots of people I know held onto XP and put off on upgrading to Vista for over a year until the bugs were all ironed out. There's nothing wrong with being patient.

Actually most people I know haven't moved to Vista and are not planning to do so :wacko:

Even those who bought a new computer with Vista preinstalled asked an engineer to install XP.

Same with my new laptop, except that I didn't need an engineer, of course.

With other words, Vista is a fiasco and no amount of bug fixing is going to change that.

An interesting example:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/con...0610_435192.htm

I found this sentence (from an Ubuntu user :D ).

Re: GNOME 3 at GUADEC

Yeah, I'm hoping for it not to be the KDE4 fiasco and "evolutionary, not revolutionary". Because revolutionary is a usability problem right from the start.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5358967#post5358967

It pretty much sums up the problem, IMO.

The other side of the coin is of course that people believe that KDE 4 is too complicated.

KDE 4 is still in it's infancy. OS X was also immature once, I mean 10.0-10.1 had so many issues, and yet it's come along nicely. One day KDE 4 will mature.

Well said.

Ubuntu forked Debian...? I'm pretty sure Debian forked Ubuntu, not the other way around... but correct me if I'm wrong. :unsure:

Debian indeed came first, and is one of the oldest Linux distributions still around today, being founded a scant few months after Slackware, the oldest Linux distro still being developed today. If you're curious, there is a chart of the lineage and ages of every major Linux distro you can look at.

Well, while we are talking about Debian, previous to Ubuntu it had hundreds of derivatives and none of them ever forked Debian: there is no need for that, you can take whatever you want and you don't even have to say "thank you".

It takes a really devious mind to fork Debian, it is like stealing a lollipop from a toddler.