[RETAIL GUIDE] ASUS M50SV Notebook

THe KiNG

162 posts in this topic

Please The King, you've have much more knowledge than me on Mac stuff, but please do not take me that noob. :thanks_speechbubble:

I know what is the verbose mode, and i'm telling you that it is not the verbose mode.

I'm not talking about kernel panic while you're launching Leopard. With this debug thing when you'll start your computer you'll have the grey apple, not the verbose.

BUT if while you're using leopard it occurs a kernel panic, then you'll have a debug command instead of the kernel panic window.

About the sound, i've extracted the applehda from the 10.5.5 update but if i use it, there is no sound card anymore (the file in the 10.5.5 is around 1.5 Mo and the Applehda i'm using is around 2.7 Mo (it is the same since your first audio release)

Ah by the way, it is not possible anymore to download the files you've put on the first page. Rapidshare says that the maximum number of 10 downloads has been reach. The uploader need a premium account....

Because stupid as i am i've clicked on the wrong update :(

here is a app which allows you to make files invisible, really usefull if you're using vista and Mac.

In my case i was tired to always see "system volume information" and $recycle.bin" from windows in Leo. So with this you can hide them

Invisible

Ok so in fact my applehda was already the right one.

I've noticed one thing with the mic, i'm always using a external mic. When i go inside the sound setting, it is the internal mic selected but the external mic is working.

If i click on the external mic then it doesn't work anymore. If i select back the internal mic, none of the mic are working.

You know, i think you've already done a great job with this alc888. If if is just a question of selectioning the mic, i guess we can deal with it. Remember, at first how was the sound under kaliway, making bad noises. And now it works just great. So really do not bother to much about this little problem.

Yesterday i've checked what was working and what wasn't, and i think we've got here one of the most compatible laptop (after changing the wireless).

only the card reader and the fingerprint doesn't work, but are recognized and the webcam works quite well. so I think it is pretty cool :D

The sleeping mode doesn't work, but i don't use it, so it doesn't bother me.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you done the bios flash first ?

The best release for this laptop is still iDeneb 1.1, the 1.3 doesn't work on mine.

Murty, i was wondering, Is there a way to modify an iDeneb installation DVD with the DSDT ? Because for the moment if we want to install it we must flash the bios. Then after the installation patch chameleon with the DSDT and then we have to put the original bios. It would be great if we can patch the installation DVD

Have you done the bios flash first ?

The best release for this laptop is still iDeneb 1.1, the 1.3 doesn't work on mine.

Murty, i was wondering, Is there a way to modify an iDeneb installation DVD with the DSDT ? Because for the moment if we want to install it we must flash the bios. Then after the installation patch chameleon with the DSDT and then we have to put the original bios. It would be great if we can patch the installation DVD

Your asking the wrong guy sorry :)

(also, any update with the wireless? i still don't really want to go and buy another wireless chip)

I think for wifi you can forget it ;)

You should really invest into a new wireless card, i can give you the reference of the one i've baught and from which ebay seller. Very cheap and very fast. It has cost me less than 20€ shipment included and it is a draft n. Works great in windows and in Leo.

i have an M50SV and i was able to install ideneb 1.3 the problem is my network card is not working, i use the kext file mentioned here, installed it using kext helper and then ran onyx to fix permissions still network not present, during installation i checked yukonapple for the network driver, my bios is not moded.

what am i missing? thanks for any suggestions

Than you very very much THe KinG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i have QE CI ok with your efi string!!

Asus m51sn nvidia 9500m GS 512mb

kext video from aqua-mac

Please can you give me AMI Dos DMI Tools???

The link in first page it's broken

Thank you

So, here i go for some news after the 10.5.6 update.

The update went quite fine but i prefered to go back in 10.5.5 because it is more stable for the moment (in my case).

So, after the update what was still working (i'm using the King's DSDT

fine:

- sound

- usb

- ethernet

- wifi (broadcom)

with some trouble :

- graphic card (it takes a while to have only one screen working when you unplugg a 2nd screen

- Trackpad and keyboard were not working anymore (patch partitialy fix it, but the trackpad is not recognized the way it was before, and after a while the mouse or the trackpad become very sensible

don't work:

- shutdown (takes a minute to reboot)

- restart (takes a minute to reboot)

I haven't test that much because those issues were anoying so i get back to 10.5.5.

So if you guys have anything new for our laptop or some fixes, be my guest :)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm still fussing with graphics drivers, I can' get anything to work.

So far the best I can get is iATKOS5i. This gives me a working desktop with sound and but no wirelss or ethernet. Standard graphics drivers.

I have tried iDeneb 1.3, but have no luck at all. After the install it always hangs, no matter what.

I have modded theee bios using the Kably 207 update.

Every time I mess around with kext helper I end up with a dead mac. When it reboots it never comes back. I have read all the posts and external tutorials on how to get Mac OSX running on an Asus M50SV, but still I can not get a working graphics driver or ethernet or wireless.

Can someone post a success method. Remember I don't know how to type all those secret commands at the prompt. A lot of the posts say things like yeah regobbly gook your permissions and it all works. I don't even know what that means and why doesn't the system just do that automatically if thats all it takes?

A great reply to this post would be something like "Here are all the checkboxes you click in iDeneb 1.3 to make every thing work on an Asus M50SV."

Go ahead...make my day.

I don't have that much time but i can give you an hand to install it. I've done a complete tutorial for this laptop but in French. If you understand french just click on my signature you'll be directed on it.

First, the best release ever for this laptop is iDeneb 1.1, the 1.3 has trouble with it. So i suggest you to download it

There is a new modded bios with dsdt patch included here

Since almost every link are dead in this topic i suggest you download the package i've done (it is at the bottom of my tutorial)

With all this you'll have a perfect 10.5.5 working great except hibernation and wireless (unless you change the card for the one i recommand)

In ideneb,

what you need to select is:

- your langage

- additional fonts

- X11

- jmicron

- ichfix

- the applications you want

but don't select any drivers for sound, video and network and leave the other things like they are

Try this first then i'll explain you what to do next and what to install first

I'll try the iDeneb 1.1.

I have already applied the Kabyl bios, but what is this DSDT thing? Why would I need it if I already have the Kabyl 207?

I can say "butterfly", "apple", and "if you please" in french. Along with oo-la-la. I appreciate the French link, but have a hard time following it.

I am so damn close, I just need graphics drivers. I don't care about the internet.

Hi,

I was away for some time...sorry but was focused on how to add more fixes on this baby.. :)

The fixes are in DSDT:

1> _WAK _PRW Methods => Sleep/Wake working!

2> Some fixes to USB => No more bugs on Bluetooth

3> Audio injection => no more need for hdaenabler

4> Video injection => no more need to mess with com.apple.boot.plist or other kextinjector!

5> Marvell Yukon fixed! no more need to fix anything leave vanilla kext untouched!

Plus other fixes...

Just use attached DSDT.aml :rolleyes:

Remember this is still a work in progress, once new chameleon will be out i will review/rewrite the guide.

DSDT.aml.zip

Hi,

Nice to have some good news.

I don't know if you've tried yet the 10.5.6 but i can report you some bug i've found (with or without your DSDT)

- No more hot unplug of the external screen. freeze of the laptop screen or the mouse gets crazy.

- Shutdown/Restart : you need to wait a 30 sec black screen before the laptop does its job

So with you DSDT you did a great job, now sleep work and no need to use any injector or to edit the plist for the graphic card. Now i got to find a way to keep the computer awaken when i close my laptop while i'm using my external monitor as a TV :unsure:

But there is some thing I don't get, you said we don't need hdaenabler anymore , but we ain't using it for a long time with your last release for the sound ? At least, i'm not using it, i'm using only the M50SVALC888ST.kext and the applehda.kext (vanilla one). Am I messing up with something

I don't know if you've tried yet the 10.5.6 but i can report you some bug i've found (with or without your DSDT)

- No more hot unplug of the external screen. freeze of the laptop screen or the mouse gets crazy.

- Shutdown/Restart : you need to wait a 30 sec black screen before the laptop does its job

Lol I tried even snow :P yeah gfx drivers are messed in 10.5.6, lets hope 5.7 will fix them or some updates..

But there is some thing I don't get, you said we don't need hdaenabler anymore , but we ain't using it for a long time with your last release for the sound ? At least, i'm not using it, i'm using only the M50SVALC888ST.kext and the applehda.kext (vanilla one). Am I messing up with something

I have to say that for people who don't know the injection is in dsdt(hdaenabler replacement)

I'm glad you find my work useful :)

What about marvell LAN? Did u tried to use just vanilla? Trust me it works :D

BTW look on PCI Cards on system profiler :) that's a bonus :P

Work in progress...