[RETAIL GUIDE] ASUS M50SV Notebook

THe KiNG

162 posts in this topic

My Os X is installed on Disk0S3, so the main HD. But with Kalyway 10.5.2 you need a bootfix. (if not, it won't work without the Dvd)

Lets keep going on the M50.

Today i decided to reinstall OS X because it was quite slow and some icons appear and disappear.

So i decided to install Ideneb V1. After installation completed, i had to to do some batch because i was stuck at the account creation.

So once in Ideneb :

- Keyboard and Trackpad not working. It seems to come from the AppleACPIplatorform.kext which need to be reinstalled.

- Even if drivers for Ethernet, Firewire and my wifi dongle are include in this installation, none of them work

- Taruga's patch is include in the installation but doesn't work. It doesn't work neither if you tried to install manually with The King's files

So i decided to reinstall my good Kalyway :(

I've done every update and drivers installation before installing the graphic card. Before I install the GC, reboot and Shutdown were working fine. After installing the GC they still work but it's longer and with a black screen before action.

And my Fn keys are same as before :D

OK, first of all thanks for tring to help me, because I am getting crazy lol

@ Kmikaze: I don't have a "real" dvd of Vista: it came preinstalled on my Asus G1S, so I can't try the different methods involving "Vista restauration".

I have already created the entry in Easybcd; It looks like this:

There are a total of 3 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.

Bootloader Timeout: 10 seconds.

Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Microsoft Windows Vista

BCD ID: {current}

Drive: C:\

Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: Microsoft Windows XP

BCD ID: {71056e38-d8e6-11dc-8354-0013e88475bd}

Bootloader Path: \ntldr

Entry #3

Name: Mac OS X

BCD ID: {71056e41-d8e6-11dc-8354-0013e88475bd}

Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_mac.mbr

When you say "Reboot, choose the boot for mac then press a key and select the partition where is OS X (you have to do it everytime because OS X partition isn't the active partition by default"

I have a problem: I reboot and arrive to the vista boot loader with my 3 entries, select OSX but have a black screen with a "_".

@The_King: I want a bootfix, because I can't boot without the dvd of Kalyway, so I always have to put the dvd and write: -x -v rd=disk2s2 "graphics mode"="1680x1050x32@60" to boot with a native resolution. It's a bit annoying to have to bring the dvd with me everytime...

The external dvd has 2 partitions and osx is on the second....

It's not a ASUS M50SV notebook, but a Asus G1S, so it seems to be build with some identical components.Well, I thought you could help me...

@ Lothar01 Don't get it that way...we are all here to help!

I'm just trying to keep the topic focus --> ASUS M50SV!

Now to help you:

1. You didn't bother to Search for your problem, the solution is Chameleon Kalyway PPF patch for the DVD and if you don't know how to fix the DVD, Chameleon Install.pkg just install it on your second hdd and the problem is gone!

2. Forget about Vista bootloader, leave it as it is by default and use Chameleon bootloader to boot all OS partition u have.

My Os X is installed on Disk0S3, so the main HD. But with Kalyway 10.5.2 you need a bootfix. (if not, it won't work without the Dvd)

Look ^^^ on how to fix your Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD.

You have OS X on the same hdd with Vista its a total different situation then Lothar01, don't make confusion!

Hi guys. I've found a usefull tool for the sound control.

I was a bit tired of going everytime in system preferences to change the output for the sound.

So i found this little software which replace the sound control in the top menu. It allows you to choose the output just by clicking on it.

http://www.logicielmac.com/pages/explicati...=703&dl=go1

Yeah cant fix that damn internal mic and errors on leopard one :P

So Taruga is the solution...is good that is back, will see... :)

BTW that sound prefpane is not working for me(bug) i have to turn it off/on to make it working, so its the same s*it since i have to go on System Preferences for that :)

It is weird, it is working fine on mine. I'm having exams this week so i won't be able to find out some solutions for the hardware. I'll see later.

But i've bought an eeepc 1000h for my mother and it is working like a charm with osx except the sound.

I played a lot with photo booth and i really want it to work on the M50 :)

I have one good news. With Ideneb 1.1 the sound is working just great if you install the drivers given in this tutorial. You still have to choose your output but the sound doesn't make this crappy noise.

So i can add to this tutorial that now it is better to install ideneb 1.1 on this laptop but keep using the drivers provided in this topic.

If you wanna do the 10.5.5 update you can easily :

Download the package from apple update (do not install it)

open your terminal, then :

sudo -s

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

do not close the terminal.

Launch your update, then when it is over, do not restart.

Go back in the terminal, then press ctrl+c

write exit

then reboot.

The laptop will reboot one more time then arrives on the desktop.

Tada !! you're running 10.5.5 version

You gotta tell me how to get the detection for the speakers.

I've fixed reboot and shutdown with those this:

Install those kext (one is from 10.4.9 and the other one is from the eeepc)

It would be great to make the esata and the sleep working. Does someone has suceed to make IR working (windows or leopard ?)

http://rapidshare.com/files/146930720/Archive.zip.html

Murty, install Chameleon-1.0.11 installer (you'll have to find it because i won't post the link here)

If it still doesn't work you should install the ideneb v1.1 (ideneb v1 + patch v1.1) This release work very well for me and i have only few things not working

You gotta tell me how to get the detection for the speakers.

I've fixed reboot and shutdown with those this:

As the topic say I'm not interested in hacked kexts(on /s/l/e), retail FTW!

There must be a way to fix them on the fly like for yukon2.kext

Sleep is next in my list after i will finish with sound.

About sound... I will open a dedicate topic for that b/c I need help to fix that damn internal mic on leopard kext, more detail you will see in that topic.

About restart/shutdown issue look on Psystar and use that kext, is not working 100% b/c we have one more problem Bluetooth! Since is on USB bus and we have problem with it that BT cause problems and my guess also prevent sleep!

I will mess later with it...

Hey guys,

Just going to be honest, I am so very keen to get OSX working, but its very confusing. It would be nice if there was a detailed explained way of installing it.

This guide is just not very helpful to me :P and this thread has turned more into a discussion rather than a guide/tutorial.

I've replaced the wireless intel 4965 with a broadcom 4321MC, It works just great in Windows and Leo. It is recognized without any changes in Leo

And i also noticed that the light sensor was working, but still i can't use the fn for the brightness

Ok, then i'll make a mini guide about Ideneb v1.1 which seems to be for me the best release for our computer.

If you want my post removed or moved just tell me The King, I'll do it.

So first, like it is said on the first page, the bios has to be patched.

Download Ideneb V1 and the 1.1 patch. Apply the patch to the iso and burn it on a DVD a (4x Max!!!)

I suggest you create a partition in Vista (the partition can be in NTFS, it doesn't matter)

Reboot the laptop with the disc and then just launch the install

Once in the installation program, go in the disk utility and transform you new partition into HFS journalized or not

Quit the disk utility then click continue until you can customize you installation

Then you have to chose :

your language,

additional fonts

X11

ICH chipset

Jsmicron

Kernel Vanilla 9.4

Do not chose any video and sound driver

network : appleyukon

and the other selected, leave them like this

chosse your additional programs

You can now launch the installation

(Once over and rebooted, you may have the welcome loop, if it is the case, look on ideneb forum, there is a topic about it)

You're now in Leopard, enter your informations

Now lets have more things working. While using kext helper, i recommand you to enable advanced so you can check if everything is good:

- For the ethernet, install this with Kext Helper (it is the file with the modification done) : Ethernet

- For the video, extract this in Library/Preference/Systemconfiguration : Video

- For the audio, decompress this file and install both kext with kexthelper. The prefpanes given with replace the sound control since the Leopard doesn't know when you're plugging something: Audio

- For the battery, install this with kext helper : Battery

- For the CPU Speedstep, install with kext helper and copy the app into you application folder : Cpu

- To fix about this mac and the time difference with windows, install those 2 pkg : Time and About this mac

Do not forget to repair permission with Onyx.

Now if you want to do the 10.5.5 update, you have to do this :

Download the package from apple update (do not install it !!)

open your terminal, then :

sudo -s

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

do not close the terminal.

Launch your update, then when it is over, do not restart.

Go back in the terminal, then press ctrl+c

write exit

then reboot.

The laptop will reboot one more time then arrives on the desktop.

Tada !! you're running 10.5.5 version

You should have now a M50Sv running great.

I've replaced the wireless intel 4965 with a broadcom 4321MC, It works just great in Windows and Leo. It is recognized without any changes in Leo

And i also noticed that the light sensor was working, but still i can't use the fn for the brightness

If you want my post removed or moved just tell me The King, I'll do it.

I have no reason to ask/and or remove anything...

Any help is more then OK for me and for the rest of the M50SV users...

My point of view, and the reason of this topic, was/is a complete RETAIL GUIDE for Leopard.

If you deal with hack's you will understand why it take some times to fix/add things to a proper way, maybe I was opened this topic to earlier..

I will write the guide, even if its not complete and a lot of bugs are not fixed yet, seems that the "waiting" is too much for some...

This guide is just not very helpful to me and this thread has turned more into a discussion rather than a guide/tutorial

Sorry to hear that, especial from you, I was trying to help you understand how things goes on OS X, here and on irc, I just tell you again read well and apply just once!

Sorry to hear that, especial from you, I was trying to help you understand how things goes on OS X, here and on irc, I just tell you again read well and apply just once!

Yeah i apologise, I guess I am partly expecting for everything to be handed to me on a platter. You guys do amazing work and I do appreciate it. So i formally apologise.

I am going to try using ideneb 1.3 today. see how that turns out. Wish me luck!

Well Murty, i understand that you want leopard working on your laptop because almost everything is compatible. If you try with ideneb v1.1 it should be ok.

I finally got the fn brightness working, and i guess it has always been working.

In fact, in leo it is like in windows, if the light sensor is enabled, you can't change the brightness.

So like i said before, if the light sensor is enabled, it will work in leo and in vista. If it is disabled in windows, then you can change the brightness in both OS. But it can only be disabled in windows.

About the esata, my guess would be that leo is not able to handle a USB/esata plug. May be if this usb can be disabled, it might work

LOL Disabling Light Sensor was the first thing i did on windows....didn't know that affect the brightness, it must be an ACPI flag that windows set like for multimedia function on trackpad, if u set it to always on when external mouse is present you will have the light on Leopard also, funny. :D

well i am replying to this thread for the first time with leopard 10.5.5 installed and running smoothly!

i really have to give a big thanks to kmikase for his ideneb 1.1 guide and all the links. it all went smoothly without any hitches. perfect for the asus m50sv

but as a brand new first time mac user, i am going to have stacks of questions, but i will do my best to avoid hammering this thread with them.

but i do have an immediate question, how can i use my extended monitor through my vga port. i have done a display detect and it just freezes everything up, any ideas?

also, now i have it up and running i will hopefully be able to have a bit of input as well now. please feel free to pm me if you have any questions on what works and what doesnt, i have tried a lot!

I guess the vga port ain't working. When i plug a vga display the computer freezes. But the HDMI works perfectly. I've seen a post in the forum to set correctly the video outputs, but it seems quite complicated. I'll try to have a look later.

Murty if you have some questions you can send me PM, i'll be able to advise you.

I've baught an Eyetv diversity last week on ebay. It works just great in Leo and in Vista. With my 22" sceen connected it is just so great. The TV is on the lcd screen and i can continue doing stuff on the laptop ;)