Finally Wireless networking!

PLDRAGON

110 posts in this topic

Hi all !!!! i have Belkin F5D7001 too... so when i login as root and try to modify all file.... then on reboot i find en0 again...

Can help me ??? pls !!!!

Hi there,

You need to set the integer bit the same as kwyjibo's post 2 posts up... if you don't do this it usually returns as en0.

This setting is in the networkpreferences.plist file also.

See if that helps.

:2cents: i don't understand... :dev:

i login as root...

i modify my IO80211Family.kext in this way:

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

<string>pci14e4,4306</string>

and then...

networkpreferences.plist with en1

but after reboot i can't see network and networkpreferences.plist is come back en0

:D i don't understand... :(

i login as root...

i modify my IO80211Family.kext in this way:

and then...

networkpreferences.plist with en1

but after reboot i can't see network and networkpreferences.plist is come back en0

Hi again,

2 or 3 lines below the en0 line in the networkpreferences.plist file there is a line similar to this integer =0.

This needs to be changed to integer =1

Can anyone tell me if this would work on my Intel 2100 wireless card? It's the only thing I can't get working in my laptop and I desperatly need it otherwise I have to go back to XP :-(

Your best best is to check the HCL on the wiki - it lists the various wireless cards and also laptops that appear to be compatible. There are 2 versions of your card also. You need to confirm the chipset in order to be successful in getting it to work.

Cheers

This "trick" works for a variety of wireless cards besides Broadcom based ones. Did the job for my Atheros-based D-Link adapter as well!

A $20 AirPort Express! :P

Could you please elaborate on this?

I once tried to install D-Link atheros base pcmcia card but failed.

The card didn't even blinked while osx boot.

Please explain how you did it

heres exactly what to do.

Double Click on Mac HD

Open System / Library / Extensions

COPY IO80211family to your desktop

Minimize the extensions window

right click onthe new file on desktop, click Show Package Contents

Open up the Plugins Folder

Open up BCM... by right click and SPC

open info.plist

edit as shown above with 4306

save it

copy the IO80211Family.kext back to the extensions folde rwith the terminal by sudo copy -r

reboot

you should be booy with the kooy

heres exactly what to do.

Double Click on Mac HD

Open System / Library / Extensions

COPY IO80211family to your desktop

Minimize the extensions window

right click onthe new file on desktop, click Show Package Contents

Open up the Plugins Folder

Open up BCM... by right click and SPC

open info.plist

edit as shown above with 4306

save it

copy the IO80211Family.kext back to the extensions folde rwith the terminal by sudo copy -r

reboot

you should be booy with the kooy

Ok I opened my info.plist and added the 4306. I saved it, then dragged it to the extensions folder. I accepted to overwrite the file... I reboot, and nothing changed... No airport icon...

I have the same problem. My Linksys PCMCIA card is recognized as Broadcom; however if I go to network settings, I can only see en1 and Ethernet settings. What exactly should I do to configure my wireless network? Also, the built-in ethernet is no longer visible (worked before I edited the kext) - how do I bring it back?

It works !!!!! Thanks to everyone here !! I couldn't have done it without all the info provided here.

I will share, in hopes of helping someone else.

My setup - 10.5 dvd install from the Pirate Bay. 2.6 ghz P4 Dell Inspiron 5100. Broadcom 4318 chip, mini pci wireless.

(FYI- I deleted my airport kexts.) I drug out the IO80211Family.kext to my desktop. I navigated to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext , inside that to the info.plist. I modified the strings as such :

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4318</string>

These were the only things I changed. Even though my chip reads 4318, I added 4320 for good measure.

I then saved the IO80211Family.kext back into the extensions folder. I rebooted, and it told me it wasn't loaded properly. I then ran repair permissions, then made sure I was in the TERMINAL AS ROOT. This is crucial !!

When you're in as root, you'll see the prompt like this : root#

Then type in kextload

Then , if you're looking at the broadcom kext, you can drag and drop it into the terminal at this point. This keeps you from having to type all that stuff in, and insures the correct path.

So you should see this:

root# kextload System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/

Hit Enter, and you should get a successful load message.

Now reboot.

Dude!! I now have an Airport Extreme with full utility options!

I tried all that, it said kext succefully loaded, I rebooted, and guess what? no airport! How I find the right number to put, like 4320... How I find mine?

If i understand, I have to modify te info.plist and add my card number

Then Replace the IOfamily kext in the extensions folder. Then Repair permissions, login as root in terminal, kextload the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext, then reboot.

Am I right?

Thanks for your help...

I tried all that, it said kext succefully loaded, I rebooted, and guess what? no airport! How I find the right number to put, like 4320... How I find mine?

If you have a win xp install running on your machine the vendor and device ID number will show up in the device manager under the wireless card's properties. (details tab)

I am running a belkin card with the 8001 broadcom chip which translated to a easy to read description is:

14e4 => vendor ID (belkin)

4320 and/or 4306 => device ID

This info will appear in the format as indicated in a drop-down box like this in the details tab:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320.....etc

See if this helps and let us know how you go...

soda

First of all, thanks to pay attention to my problem.

Ok so when I go to check my card details, its:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1043...etc.

my card is a Intel® PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter

Any idea?

I also have one of those. The chipset is by a company called 'Symbol'. It's not a Broadcom and wouldn't work with the procedure here. I'm looking to get it working as well. If I run across a fix, I'll check back.

If you can easily get to your mini pci card, look at it. Some of these Intels have almost a white wrapper. Take it off and look for 'BCM43xx' or the word Symbol on the actual chip.

I tried to put pci8086,1043 in a string, but still not working...

I cannot really take a look inside this laptop... As I understand, there is not a solution for now?

Yeah, generally speaking this solution supports only broadcom based chipsets since this is what is used by apple in their airport cards and hubs...

Sorry that I can't help you anymore at the moment.

soda

You guys are gods!!! :D

All working perfectly on my Compaq Evo N800v running a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless PCMCIA card.

This is what I did (I also found I was unable to directly edit the files in the text editor) - (please forgive me if I've basically repeated what has already been said - I'm a support guy - I have to log faults with software every day, so I tend to be a bit thorough with details :P )

- Launched the Terminal window.

- Typed: sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/contents/info.plist

- Changed the following lines:

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

to:

(ditched the last line)

- Ctrl+0 to save, [Return] to use offered filename (ie, what it already is)

- Ctrl+X to exit whatever this command line editor is called ;)

- Restarted osx86

- Launched the terminal window again.

- Typed: sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

- Changed the line which reads:

<string>en0</string>

to:

<string>en1</string>

and change:

<integer>0</integer>

to:

<integer>1</integer>

If there is an additional interface already using en1, change it to en2 and the integer to 2 (this worked for me)

- Ctrl+O to save changes, [Return] to accept filename.

- Ctrl+X to exit editor.

- Restart osx86

- Open Network Preferences - It should say it has detected a new Airport interface, or something, say OK.

- Click Show, select Airport.

- Click Apply Now.

You should now have full Wireless network access.

Thanks for all yer helps :)

D.

You guys are gods!!! :D

All working perfectly on my Compaq Evo N800v running a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless PCMCIA card.

This is what I did (I also found I was unable to directly edit the files in the text editor) - (please forgive me if I've basically repeated what has already been said - I'm a support guy - I have to log faults with software every day, so I tend to be a bit thorough with details :star_smile: )

- Launched the Terminal window.

- Typed: sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/contents/info.plist

- Changed the following lines:

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

to:

(ditched the last line)

- Ctrl+0 to save, [Return] to use offered filename (ie, what it already is)

- Ctrl+X to exit whatever this command line editor is called :whistle:

- Restarted osx86

- Launched the terminal window again.

- Typed: sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

- Changed the line which reads:

<string>en0</string>

to:

<string>en1</string>

and change:

<integer>0</integer>

to:

<integer>1</integer>

If there is an additional interface already using en1, change it to en2 and the integer to 2 (this worked for me)

- Ctrl+O to save changes, [Return] to accept filename.

- Ctrl+X to exit editor.

- Restart osx86

- Open Network Preferences - It should say it has detected a new Airport interface, or something, say OK.

- Click Show, select Airport.

- Click Apply Now.

You should now have full Wireless network access.

Thanks for all yer helps :whistle:

D.

I did exactly the same thing, and I'm pretty sure mine is 14e4,4306, but I still didn't get the Airport Icon on the top bar. My laptop is Fujitsu P5010D, with Broadcom 4306 wireless mini-pci card installed.

Anyone could help??? :o

Unfortunately, I can't help, as I don't actually know what all this hacking around with these files actually does. Just that it seemed to work for me!

If someone could explain what these settings actually do, that would be really helpful.

D.

I did exactly the same thing, and I'm pretty sure mine is 14e4,4306, but I still didn't get the Airport Icon on the top bar. My laptop is Fujitsu P5010D, with Broadcom 4306 wireless mini-pci card installed.

Anyone could help??? ;)

Hi there,

...it's really important to ensure that you have made the changes to the brcm4311.kext correctly; this by its self will give you the airport icon(it will not work at this stage but it should show in the taskbar).

The other important thing is to confirm the vendor & device ID's correctly because this change will defintiely not work if they are different.

The brcm4311.kext info.plist file 'tricks' osx into thinking that your broadcom 4306/4320 chip is an actual airport card. If you enter the wrong numbers here and they don't actually match the numbers in the physical device's firmware the kext wont load in.

If you can recheck the bcrm4311.kext info.plist file and also verify the the device's actual ID's using win XP's device manager to make sure that you have a broadcom chip.

Let us know how you get on....

soda