Finally Wireless networking!

PLDRAGON

110 posts in this topic

Finally after 10 hours of trial and error i got my Belkin Wireless G Network Card to work in 10.4.5... Actually I'm posting this in Safari now :)

So this is one more card to the compatibility list :D

btw it's a broadcom 4306 core.. XP reported 4320 though.. But I didn't get it to work until modifying plist with 4306.

I run with WPA encryption and there are no problems. The signal strength indicator works flawlessly too.

If anyone's interested here are the steps:

Install the 10.4.4 --> 10.4.5 patched version

Modify IO80211Family.kext like this:

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

<string>pci14e4,4306</string> this worked for me

reboot

After boot up the airport icon is visible in top bar but is greyed out in Network Prefs

Modify NetworkInterfaces.plist (this plist first became available for me after modifying the above to 4306, somehow the file didn't exist prior to the mod)

en0->en1

reboot

It should now find the broadcom chipset as being a Airport Extreme Card (lots of money saved here :D )

The essence of these steps have been posted in the forum as a guide to make wireless networking possible under 10.4.3.

I completed the steps you indicated but I still cannot find NetworkInterfaces.plist... is this file in IO80211Family.kext?

I Have a miniPCI Broadcom 4230... please let me know!!!

It's in /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/

That's not in the main system folder...

EDIT

Modify NetworkInterfaces.plist (this plist first became available for me after modifying the above to 4306, somehow the file didn't exist prior to the mod)

en0->en1

reboot

A couple lines down of en0->en1

change 0 to 1 too...

Good work, i have the same Broadcom chipset as you but is this a mini pci laptop wireless card or a full pci card?

I followed your instructions and can't get it to work? Is there any chance you could post further instructions or your kext files to see if will help me out.

Thanks

J

hi,

someway i messed up my IO80211Family.kext.

10.4.5 wont load it anymore.

read another topic and downloaded io80211family.kext and appleairport2.kext but both are not working on my system...

could someone send me his io80211family.kext from 10.4.5 via mail to discobrother1@gmx.de?

another problem i had before: after changing the en0 to en1 in the other file and doin all described changed it was back to en0 after reboot :lol: any clue?

thanks in advance

don't think so. Broadcom cards are a bit tricky.

Like in linux. Some of the wireless cards don't works at all in linux while they do in mac os x and some of the ethernet cards work fine in linux but not in mac os x

This "trick" works for a variety of wireless cards besides Broadcom based ones. Did the job for my Atheros-based D-Link adapter as well!

A $20 AirPort Express! :(

I think that's the best idea yet..I will try it..Do I have to download any special drivers for it?

thanks.

This "trick" works for a variety of wireless cards besides Broadcom based ones. Did the job for my Atheros-based D-Link adapter as well!

A $20 AirPort Express! :P

I just checked Compusa's website and they have the Airport Express and it's $ 130.00. Which one are you referred to..

Thanks.

Hi PLDRAGON,

...thanks for the great work so far but can you list which files inside the kext folders that need to be modified please. I assumed it was the info.plist files however I found more of these burried deeper in the subfolders of the kext folder and I'm not sure which ones to modify.

I have tried modifying various files and all I achieve is bringing up the airport icon on the taskbar but nothing in the network preferences box.

Actually what I do now get is the ethernet connection coming available but this still doesn't let me connect to anything.

sodafox

<<< anything is achievable... with time and money>>>

You need to edit Info.plist in IO80211Family.kext/Contents

You also need to edit NetworkInterfaces.plist as instructed above to get it working, otherwise you will indeed have the Airport Icon in the taskbar but everything is grayed out.

When I open the IO80211Family.kext and edit the Info.plist I don't see those options. I do see them in the AppleAirPort2.kext, but that's not what's needed.

Can someone please post the IO80211Family.kext file for download so that my broadcom wireless will work?

Thanks for any help.

Hi again all,

Another question which all probably can answer... where in the info.plist file do I add these llines.

I am a newbie to apple hacking and I imagine that these have to go into a particular place in the file for them to work. If anyone has a screen shot to show what the finished file should look like I would be very appreciative!

Sorry for the silly questions most of you seem to know.

Thanks

sodafox

When I open the IO80211Family.kext and edit the Info.plist I don't see those options. I do see them in the AppleAirPort2.kext, but that's not what's needed.

Can someone please post the IO80211Family.kext file for download so that my broadcom wireless will work?

Thanks for any help.

I am wanting the IO80211Family.kext file also. Were you able to get it?

Hey All,

I Tried everything that was said to get the wireless working in 10.4.5 but there still isnt an airport icon or anything. I also have a Broadcom 4306 card, with xp reporting it as 4320.

I'm using a Compaq Presario M2031ap notebook. Any ideas? PLEASE HELP!

Hi !

are you sure that the kext to edit is IO80211Family ? isn't it AppleAirport2.kext ? because I can't find the original line "<string>pci14e4,4320</string>" and any "<key>IONameMatch</key>" in IO80211Family.kext. But I can find them in the AppleAirport2.kext. Can you bring light to that please ?

Thank you !

Hi !

are you sure that the kext to edit is IO80211Family ? isn't it AppleAirport2.kext ? because I can't find the original line "<string>pci14e4,4320</string>" and any "<key>IONameMatch</key>" in IO80211Family.kext. But I can find them in the AppleAirport2.kext. Can you bring light to that please ?

Thank you !

Hi there,

As far as I'm led to believe, the appleairport2.kext has no use anymore. I have deleted it in my installtion of 10.4.5.

Inside the IO80211family.kext you will need to navigate thru to the plugins directory where you will find the appleairportbrcm4311.kext file. This is where you need to change the settings. You will also have to make 2 setting changes inside the networkinterfaces.plist file that is in burried a couple of folders inside the library folder. See how you go with this first and get back to us.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

As far as I'm led to believe, the appleairport2.kext has no use anymore. I have deleted it in my installtion of 10.4.5.

Inside the IO80211family.kext you will need to navigate thru to the plugins directory where you will find the appleairportbrcm4311.kext file. This is where you need to change the settings. You will also have to make 2 setting changes inside the networkinterfaces.plist file that is in burried a couple of folders inside the library folder. See how you go with this first and get back to us.

Hope this helps.

Thank you ! We'll try :)

Edit : It works !! Thanks !

I opened my AppleAirportBrcm4311 and the stings appear like this:

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

I don't actually see a 4320

I also updated the NetworkingInteraces.plist en0->en1 and integer ->1

My card is a Belkin f5d7001 v1101 which when I view it with SIV, it says 4320, and 4306 broadcom card, so in theory this should work... right?

Any thoughts as to what I am not doing properly

this is what u should do :

in plac of

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

just type

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

<string>pci14e4,4306</string>

delete the third line , worked fine for me

didnt even have to edit the networkinterfaces.plist file

let us know of the results