HP & Compaq Laptop with x200 Southbridge Resource v.0.1a

limbohz

110 posts in this topic

Alright... this one's got me stumped...

So installed 10.4.3 on a v2000US (basically the compaq version of the z6000), with an ATI x200 IXP.

Now, I'm no stranger to fooling around with this hardware, as I've managed to most of my hardware work with debian x86-64. But, I'm having trouble with the hard drive controller. Anyone else got it to work? I installed scousi's kext files for the x200 southbridge, but when I boot darwin -v, the boot process stalls out right around where it should be mounting the root file system. I get an error about a child of kextd dieing unexpectedly, and a message about forcing a check on the root file system.

This is with a a VMware install, onto a partion type AF HFS+ partion. Dont know what could be causing it! Anyone else worked around this problem?

Also, I dont know if its just my copy of 10.4.3, but I cant seem to find the IO80211 kext files anywhere. Anyone on 10.4.5 find them?

Alright... this one's got me stumped...

So installed 10.4.3 on a v2000US (basically the compaq version of the z6000), with an ATI x200 IXP.

Now, I'm no stranger to fooling around with this hardware, as I've managed to most of my hardware work with debian x86-64. But, I'm having trouble with the hard drive controller. Anyone else got it to work? I installed scousi's kext files for the x200 southbridge, but when I boot darwin -v, the boot process stalls out right around where it should be mounting the root file system. I get an error about a child of kextd dieing unexpectedly, and a message about forcing a check on the root file system.

This is with a a VMware install, onto a partion type AF HFS+ partion. Dont know what could be causing it! Anyone else worked around this problem?

Also, I dont know if its just my copy of 10.4.3, but I cant seem to find the IO80211 kext files anywhere. Anyone on 10.4.5 find them?

I would just upgrade to the patched 10.4.5 DVD directly.

Hey guys, I just installed 10.4.3 using Jas's v4.2b patch on my Compaq v5000 laptop. (AMD Turion 64 and ATI x200M chipset)

But after installing it and logging in the first time, it wouldn't boot back in after a restart. To add to that problem, the usual "Hit F8 for startup options..." choice doesn't show up. Any suggestions? I would appreciate it very much.

HP Pavilion dv5000.

ATI X200 chipset issue isn't resolved by scousi's ATA kext, so I'm stuck with VMWare only still. I have never even seen OSx86 in native, so I'm "really" looking foward to it. I heard it's waaaaay faster native.

YOu are using 10.4.5 dont you?

i cant get the AppleOnboardPCATA to work on 10.4.5, it says that its superclass is not valid..

i think that the kext is build for 10.3, or 10.4? > any idea why it says that the superclass is not valid?

i removed mkext/kextcache few hunder times now :( , i would almost get hilarious of it

(a native boot, would make my day :blink: )

YOu are using 10.4.5 dont you?

i cant get the AppleOnboardPCATA to work on 10.4.5, it says that its superclass is not valid..

i think that the kext is build for 10.3, or 10.4? > any idea why it says that the superclass is not valid?

i removed mkext/kextcache few hunder times now :( , i would almost get hilarious of it

(a native boot, would make my day :) )

Well...I could always reinstall it to v.10.4, but I want to know if someone with a similare setup got it to work with that AppleOnboardPCATA. I feel that it only has a 1 out of 10 chance of working still.

Well...I could always reinstall it to v.10.4, but I want to know if someone with a similare setup got it to work with that AppleOnboardPCATA. I feel that it only has a 1 out of 10 chance of working still.

I never got 10.4.5 working, but it was my first shot at it. I simply installed again and unchecked the 10.4.5 patch when I customized during installation. 10.4.4 booted only in safe mode for a while till I put the AppleOnboardPCATA file in several places, ran the chown and chroot commands on the files, then directories, deleted the two cache files, repaired the directory permissions and rebooted a couple times. I think I made a post about it earlier in this thread.

Maybe when I have more time I will backup and try to upgrade.

I'm on a Compaq laptop and I too am suffering from powermanagement issues. WHenever I unplug or plug in my laptop the entire laptop locks up completely. Using the hacked powermanagement bundle gives SOME functionality with this, my laptop doesnt lock up when I put it to sleep and then plug it in. Anyone else have that problem?

I got this installed on my HP/Compaq laptop with X200 and the installation was SLOW AS HELL it took around 8 hours to only install and inside OSX it went quite good but I guess it could be faster if the X200 supported QE/CI and the sound didn't work either but I got a USB 5.1 sound card for that and I had to edit some kexts for my Trackpad and keyboard to work too. So from my point of view it's NOT worth it just get a real Mac the Macbook not PRO version is soon close and it will be a good laptop for work, OSX, Windows and all with drivers working and it might even get a better GFX card than Mac Mini and the price will be around 900-1000 US $

no doubt. as it stands, there's no better hardware for OS X (oh ess ten) than an actual mac in regards to the whole user experience.

however, osx86 allows others to get to know OS X all though it deprives them of the whole mac experience. at least they get to see what the OS hub-bub is all about.

i myself am a long time mac user, since 1992 with system 7.2 and currently have a macbook pro. with that said, i still wanted to see and witness first hand the merge of two long time separate entities -- the pc hardware and mac os. even though the marriage is flawed, it's still great to be able to say, "i run macosX on my pc" :)

then again, others have different reasons for doing this, the above mentioned is mine and i am happy about the whole thing.

anyone else try the PowerManagement.bundle to manage energy? i no longer have access to my HP since passing it on to my wife, so i can't try this myself.

i'll add this to the links on the first page along with related links.

Yeah, I'm using it. For me, it doesn't quite work, it calculates the battery percentage once then quits, so if you boot up with 80% power, it says 80% till it dies. It never calculates time remaining since it can't with only one reading. I'm too busy too look into it now, but I thought I'd let you know. Probably a simple fix required.

I don't know if it adds any other power management features.

Glennpratt:

you didn't run into any problems with omni drive?

I've just tried it and although I could boot without any problems to basic res (1024x768) whenever I try to change the res (at least this driver detects the card and display the maximum res in the list) I get a double image side-by-side and with lost of random moving noice/lines on the screen. If I use the arrows to change back the res I will select a 75Hz frequency which is out of range and I screen goes colors (I mean, full screen red, then blue, then green, then black, then white, ...) and I just can't get back to normal only if I reboot to -x mode.

Wen't fine following his instructions to the T. You may wan't to check and make sure you've reverted anychanges you may have made in the past with ATI drivers. I know that when I tried to fiddle around with accelertion after I installed the driver, I got problems like you describe.

Also, I have a dv8000z, probably not the most common x200 laptop.

post-33214-1147114461_thumb.jpg

Well, I decided to see how power management was working and I put the computer to sleep, it wen't totally to sleep (a new one, before the screen just dimmed) however it didn't return from sleep successfully. The screen never restarted. So I rebooted the machine and the driver is hosed... Odd. Safe mode --> deleted caches, still hosed. Oh well, I really don't have too much time to fiddle with it now, but clearly the driver is close to being functional.

Don't work for me... I end up with 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480, and when i try to change to one of those or change my refresh rate it goes black. i restored my backup partition and tried again 3 times... you're lucky glennpratt!