HP & Compaq Laptop with x200 Southbridge Resource v.0.1a

limbohz

110 posts in this topic

thanks for explaiining that fireshark, sorry i didn't explain it more clearly. the kext i applied was the x200 one which is meant to spped up hard drive access speeds but instead makes os x unbootable. is it only for one specific kind of x200? also, in reference to te quick way to get wireless working, i think the second post in this topic, i've added my device id to the appleairportbrcm4311.kext and i get an error saying ythe kext has not been properly installed. any help would be great.

thanks

Hmm... sounds like your permissions are wrong now? First try disk utility>repair permissions, if that doesn't work open a terminal or boot in single user and run

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

if that doesn't work you can try that again and delete your kextcache files.

hey i saw that there was an ATI video driver that people were working on...anyone have any idea about that status of it? if theres any way i can help i would be happy to

Well it seems that the OpenATI project will only provide support for the IOframebuffer, so we will be able to get widescreen, change resolutions, colour depths etc, but we will not get QE, CI or OpenGL, unfortunately.

As for the status, np_, the macvidia writer, is now helping omni out so it should be completed in a shorter period of time.

Well it seems that the OpenATI project will only provide support for the IOframebuffer, so we will be able to get widescreen, change resolutions, colour depths etc, but we will not get QE, CI or OpenGL, unfortunately.

As for the status, np_, the macvidia writer, is now helping omni out so it should be completed in a shorter period of time.

will there ever be any hope to getting QE, CI or OpenGL?

I've been working on getting my copy of 10.4.3 JaS patched osx86 installed and it doesnt seem to want to boot natively. I installed it to my second 6.5gb partition via VMware afterwhich I installed the AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext to enable the support for my x200 sb400 southbridge for native boot, and using the chain0 method on windows xp bootloader.... nothing. It boots to VMware fine, but when i select Mac OS X86 in my windows bootloader the screen just flashes and resets the bootloader... I have gotten 10.4.1 to install via the DD method and it would boot... maybe I should try that again and install through VMware as an upgrade? I know I would still have to put in the x200 southbridge support kext but would that yeild different results? Im just tired and dont want to try for a while so I thought I would tell my bit for queen and country so that maybe I can get some help...

will there ever be any hope to getting QE, CI or OpenGL?

I sure hope so, but from what I gather noone is working on it. :(

Just for kicks, could someone try koverg's patch on ATIX1000.kext instead of ATI9700.kext? I would do it myself, but I'm still in the process of 'aquiring' OSx86. Could you also try seeing what happens when you use an X300 Mobility's DevID on koverg's patch? It is 0x5460.

Has anyone had success with the PS2 driver at http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=5419&st=80 ? It's supposedly hacked to allow 2 finger scrolling. I tried once, but when it didn't work the first try I was stuck without keyboard or mouse and of course I had taken out the USB kext so I was quite stuck and had to restore from a backup image. After that I've kinda lost my nerve. Is there a way to try this driver and still have an alternative input method to restore everything if it doesn't work?

fireshark, thanks for the tip, that worked, i can only boot in -x safe mode and i also tried deleting the extensions.mkext/kextcache and booting in -f but i dont know what to do to get it to boot native... so i dont know what to do now... normal boot in verbose gives me the lovely...

"still waiting for root device"

i tried a 10.4.4 and it didn't like my hardware config...

any help would be nice :D

Hey,

Well I finally got around to installing OSX on my Compaq Presario V2402AU. A few problems:

1. I can't mount my windows NTFS partition within OS X. It simply fails. Anyone know how to fix?

2. In order to get my keyboard and trackpad working I had to remove IOUSBFamily.kext, which removes USB. Any way to have both work at the same time?

3. Is there a way to get my laptop's internal 56k modem working?

Thanks,

Dhruv B.

2. In order to get my keyboard and trackpad working I had to remove IOUSBFamily.kext, which removes USB. Any way to have both work at the same time?

Here are some possible fixes.

3. Is there a way to get my laptop's internal 56k modem working?

From what Linux has told me the modem is part of the sound system. Sound doesn't work just yet, but there's some really interesting process over in the other thread.

Just thought I'd chime in with my HP dv8000z here. (As best I can tell it's very similar to the v2000z/L2000 internally)

I'm having a similar problem to the guy with the zd above. I can only boot in safe mode, otherwise I get "Still waiting for boot device". In safe mode I only found the AppleGenericPCATA in IOATA or whatever kext. I renamed it there and moved to .kext file from the other thread into both locations and deleted kextcache, but no luck.

I also made the changes to the 80211 kext with the Device ID numbers I found in Windows XP, but no luck. Oddly enough, I had to make a similar change when installing Windows x64 on the lappy, but there I had luck. Perhaps it's because of safe mode? (But bluetooth works...)

Edit: Wifi works, sometimes... What happens is that OS X will boot in Safe Mode and the subsequent reboot. I believe in the subsequent reboot, not safe mode, wifi works. However, the next reboot "Still waiting for root device". I also notice that in the first reboot after safe mode, a lot of text refering to kext files flies by like it does in safe mode. Perhaps something nefarious is getting reinstalled. Wish I knew more about OS X. Can anyone else chime in here?

Edit dos: Well, I trashed the old kexts instead of renaming them and renamed the new kext both AppleGenericPCATA and AppleOnboardPCATA in both the extensions folder and the IOPCATA kext and it worked. Now like the rest of you I'm waiting for 1) Video 2) Sound 3) Power Management.

here's how i do it in windows xp.

* right click My Computer, hight light and select Management

* Computer Management window pops up. On the left pane, select "Device Manager"

* On the right pane, expand Network Devices

* Highlight your wireless card, right click and select properties

* The Device Properties window pops up, click on Detail tab

* On the pull down below, select Hardware IDs

* Vendor ID is the four-digit character after "Vend_"

* Device ID is the four-digit character after "Dev_"

all though the goal of this page is to provide quick links to information, it helps to use the search if the information is not located here. you might just stumble on new interesting information you can learn from.

good luck.

can anyone post a screenshot of the point " On the pull down below, select Hardware IDs"

I'm from germany so it is quite hard for me to find this point in the german os.

thx Icewind

p.s.

in german it looks like this

post-33510-1144662130_thumb.jpg

can anyone post a screenshot of the point " On the pull down below, select Hardware IDs"

I'm from germany so it is quite hard for me to find this point in the german os.

thx Icewind

p.s.

in german it looks like this

Looks like you need to go one tab right. You can generally see the info you need on the Device Instance ID tab as well.

I used my graphics card, but they all look the same. In this case Vendor ID = 10DE; Device ID = 0281

post-33214-1144685086_thumb.png