HP & Compaq Laptop with x200 Southbridge Resource v.0.1a

limbohz

110 posts in this topic

Getting my laptop up and running with OSX86 10.4.5 wasn't as easy as I thought. After combing through a lot of threads, I finally got my laptop running well - not perfect, but well. Thanks to everyone! Because without their hard work, we would not be where we are today.

This page is meant as a resource to point people in the direction based on the topics below. Please follow the links and proceed with caution. If you have any questions or problems, please post in the topic's respective forums.

Installing OSX86 Through VMWare Method

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=11314 - HowTo Guide by Sabr

Because the installer does not have suppport for the ATI x200 Southbridge (and the devices connected to it like our hardrive), we are greeted by "waiting for root device" stall loop. Installing through VMWare is a way around this. After installing, proceed to the next link(s) below to enable the missing support to be able to natively boot OSX86.

Enabling ATI x200 Southbridge (Thanks to SCOUSI!)

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...ic=9847&hl=x200 - driver repost

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=8088 - Original thread.

Wireless

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=74139 - quick method

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=56867

ATI AC 97 Sounds (SB400) effort

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=10903 - Sound Driver Under Development

Video

Omni (& others) have made great strides in creating a way for most ATI video card users to have resolution and frequency support. The driver is still at in the beta stages albeit it works for some. http://omni.starchaser.org/

Ethernet

Mine worked from the start so I never had to look for this.

Additions?

Dual Boot (From the wiki of course)

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...uides#Dual_Boot - a link to links :D

Power Management

As stated by keithpk "This PowerManagement.bundle fixes many of the issues that people were having with displaying battery time remaining on laptop systems." however, some hp/compaq laptop users reported only partial success with it.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=14912

http://fdd.com/software/radeon/ - Radeontool - turns off back light of tft

:D This page is always under development. Please let me know if anything needs to be added.

Good idea, methinks, having a one stop shop for us. Thought I'd mention-- I studied and tried the method in the thread you list for wifi, but I couldn't get it to work. Rather, I found another thread somewhere which I'll summarize:

Open system/library/extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/contents/Info.plist

in the file you will see strings resembling

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

Replace the second number with your wireless card device ID, in my case 4318, ie

<string>pci14e4,4318</string>

Run a chmod and chown on your extensions directory again, restart, and an airport card should be discovered next time you enter network preferences.

***note to limbohz***

I don't wanna take up another post in your shouldn't-have-any-irrelevent-posts topic, but i wanted to note that it's definitely not my method. some other genius figured it out and i found it just poking around these forums. thanks genius!

--and another thing-- I just formatted my windows partition FAT32 and reinstalled so I have full read/write access to both partitions from both partitions. Woo hoo!

someone please help me...i have a southbridge x200 and i have the 10.4.4 patched to 10.4.5 DVD and when i try to install it keeps saying "still waiting for root device". I have a zv6000. Anyone who can help me with this would be like the greatest person of all time cause its pissing me off

someone please help me...i have a southbridge x200 and i have the 10.4.4 patched to 10.4.5 DVD and when i try to install it keeps saying "still waiting for root device". I have a zv6000. Anyone who can help me with this would be like the greatest person of all time cause its pissing me off

here's a brief answer...

the most likely reason is because 10.4.4/5 patched DVD does not include a driver for our ATI x200 southbridge. so, the install can not find a root device ("still waiting for root device") - the hardrive. please refer to the first link at the top of the page as to an in-depth explanation on how this is solved.

to install, you might have to go the vmware route since i have not seen a 10.4.4/5 .ppf to remake the install DVD to be ATI x200 friendly. refer to this installing through VMWare guide by SABR: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=11314 -- i'll add this link up top too :D

after a succesful install through VMWare, follow the links at the top to apply Scousi's patch to enable OSX86 to find the drive (prevent "waiting for root device") when you boot natively.

wow, that's a long-winded answer. i guess that's not so brief. :)

remember, search is your best friend! good luck!

Thanks for the thread limbhoz. So far things have worked pretty well with my x200 based hp ze2000 with the scous. ati kext. There is however one thing that puzzles me. For some reason anytime I transfer files to my computer via the network (either wired or wireless) or even from cd I can only a 2mb transfer rate. When I run xbench the results look much better. Can someone please verify it possible to go faster? I've double check that all the ata.kext files are correctly added and deleted. Help!

Thanks for the thread limbhoz. So far things have worked pretty well with my x200 based hp ze2000 with the scous. ati kext. There is however one thing that puzzles me. For some reason anytime I transfer files to my computer via the network (either wired or wireless) or even from cd I can only a 2mb transfer rate. When I run xbench the results look much better. Can someone please verify it possible to go faster? I've double check that all the ata.kext files are correctly added and deleted. Help!

chillee, i never had this problem before. i don't have any suggestions. sorry.

The method I've had success with is very simple-- I'll try to put it more simply than I did above.

1. Download IO80211Family.kext and AppleAirport2.kext from this post. Open Finder and navigate to /System/Library/Extensions. Open each of the zip files you just downloaded-- you should see a folder in each of them. Drag this folder (not any extra files you may see) into /System/Library/Extensions. If it asks you to authenticate, say yes, if it asks you about replacing, say yes.

2. You can close the zip files now. In your /System/Library/Extensions folder, right click (or command click or whatever the mac equivalent is...) on IO80211Family.kext. Select 'show package contents'. You'll see a contents folder, open that, you'll see a plugins folder, open that, you'll see AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext, right click that and select 'show package contents'. You'll see a file 'info.plist'. Single click it and select Edit>Copy from the menu bar. Click an empty spot on your desktop and select Edit>Paste from the menu bar. Double click the new info.plist file on your desktop. If it asks you how to open it, tell it to use TextEdit. Now you'll see a bunch of gibberish. Scroll down till you see the section that is indented the most. Here you'll read

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

Replace the 4323 there with your Device ID Number. If you are using a v2000 series compaq presario like me, that number is 4318. If you're not, well... search around on this forum for how to figure that number out, and if you can't reply back here and i'll edit this post. Now-- save this file, close the text editor, and drag info.plist off the desktop and into the folder you originally copied it out of. Click 'authenticate' if it asks and type your password, and yes, agree to replace.

3. You can close all open windows if they're in the way. Open a finder window, go to applications, then to utilities, and open 'disk utility'. Select your main mac os drive and find and click the button labeled 'repair disk permissions'. when this is done, reboot. when the system is done rebooting, select the apple from the menu bar, hit system preferences, click network, and you should see that a new airport device has been found. it pretty much wants you to confirm that this is indeed true so you just hit 'apply now' and leave. you should see the baseball diamond wifi indicator on your menu bar now, and wifi should be fully functional.

you see? easy as 1,2,3... he he...

The method I've had success with is very simple-- I'll try to put it more simply than I did above.

1. Download IO80211Family.kext and AppleAirport2.kext from this post. Open Finder and navigate to /System/Library/Extensions. Open each of the zip files you just downloaded-- you should see a folder in each of them. Drag this folder (not any extra files you may see) into /System/Library/Extensions. If it asks you to authenticate, say yes, if it asks you about replacing, say yes.

2. You can close the zip files now. In your /System/Library/Extensions folder, right click (or command click or whatever the mac equivalent is...) on IO80211Family.kext. Select 'show package contents'. You'll see a contents folder, open that, you'll see a plugins folder, open that, you'll see AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext, right click that and select 'show package contents'. You'll see a file 'info.plist'. Single click it and select Edit>Copy from the menu bar. Click an empty spot on your desktop and select Edit>Paste from the menu bar. Double click the new info.plist file on your desktop. If it asks you how to open it, tell it to use TextEdit. Now you'll see a bunch of gibberish. Scroll down till you see the section that is indented the most. Here you'll read

Replace the 4323 there with your Device ID Number. If you are using a v2000 series compaq presario like me, that number is 4318. If you're not, well... search around on this forum for how to figure that number out, and if you can't reply back here and i'll edit this post. Now-- save this file, close the text editor, and drag info.plist off the desktop and into the folder you originally copied it out of. Click 'authenticate' if it asks and type your password, and yes, agree to replace.

3. You can close all open windows if they're in the way. Open a finder window, go to applications, then to utilities, and open 'disk utility'. Select your main mac os drive and find and click the button labeled 'repair disk permissions'. when this is done, reboot. when the system is done rebooting, select the apple from the menu bar, hit system preferences, click network, and you should see that a new airport device has been found. it pretty much wants you to confirm that this is indeed true so you just hit 'apply now' and leave. you should see the baseball diamond wifi indicator on your menu bar now, and wifi should be fully functional.

you see? easy as 1,2,3... he he...

hey digicide i still cant get it to work...i tried looking for the device id number and couldnt figure it out and have no idea how to find it so if you could tell me how to find it i would appriciate it a lot man...if i cant get the wireless working theres no real point in dual-booting OSX

Also, everytime i reboot the computer it reboots the the generic ata controller so to get it to use the onboard pcata i have to reload the kext file every time i boot...i tried all of scousi's suggestions for a fix but nothing seems to be working...any ideas??

hey digicide i still cant get it to work...i tried looking for the device id number and couldnt figure it out and have no idea how to find..

here's how i do it in windows xp.

• right click My Computer, hight light and select Management
  • Computer Management window pops up. On the left pane, select "Device Manager"
  • On the right pane, expand Network Devices
  • Highlight your wireless card, right click and select properties
  • The Device Properties window pops up, click on Detail tab
  • On the pull down below, select Hardware IDs
  • Vendor ID is the four-digit character after "Vend_"
  • Device ID is the four-digit character after "Dev_"

all though the goal of this page is to provide quick links to information, it helps to use the search if the information is not located here. you might just stumble on new interesting information you can learn from.

good luck.

Guys is there any reason we can't just post some of these kext for specific models? It seems like it would be a lot easier than trying to have everyone reinvent the wheel. In addition certain people seem to have things working on the same model that do not work for other users (e.g. my HP l2000's [v2000] touchpad wont work but other people seem to have it working). I have to assume the answers are in the kexts. Would having packs for models be out of the question. It seems like a lot of people have V2000s nc6000s etc...

I say this because I tried to use the wireless directions and I managed to make my install unbootable. Trying to use mac drive to restore the file only gave me the blue screen of death and corrupted the mac partition to the point where I had to reboot.

It just seems like a lot less catch up would need to happen and the focus would be more on moving forward.

Just a suggestion...let me know if this seems out of line.

:(

POSTING KEXTS or LINKS

we can't post kext or links to external sites that would violate the forum rules or in the greater reason, apple's lawyers' rules :( can't post anything that links to files that are copyrighted (of course, darwin files are excempted).

in regards to macdrive, i've had that bluescreen problem. probably has something to do with drivers for our laptops. so i ended up booting in windows safemode and restoring back before the installation of macdrive. if you have to de-install drivers in OSX86, i woud boot up in -s (single mode) and do your fixing that way.

also, i recommend imaging the OSX86 drive when you have a good working installation with something like norton ghost. so if anything bad happens, just restore your drive.

POWER MANAGEMENT

hasn't worked for me nor have i found anything about getting it working. let us know if you do.

i was just wondering, i'm running a HPzv6000 laptop with an x200 and sometimes when i boot into os x it's really slow but others its not. Also, after applying this kext file i can't boot into os x anymore. does this have to be applied to all x200 laptops?

i was just wondering, i'm running a HPzv6000 laptop with an x200 and sometimes when i boot into os x it's really slow but others its not. Also, after applying this kext file i can't boot into os x anymore. does this have to be applied to all x200 laptops?

people need to know more details in able to help you. for example, what did you just install?

secondly, please go to the forum that the respective .kext or fix in question belongs - then post your questions and specifics there. there's a much higher chance of solving your problem if you read and post in the proper forum. plus, use the search function to find clues as well.

good luck.

OK, so for the wireless file I have the following lines

What numbers do I replace with the device id? Do I replace all of the second numbers?

4311? 4312? 4324?