Sony Vaio - Kext's / Best Practices

4 posts in this topic

I've noticed that there seem to be threads that have served as a central thread for Dell/HP owners, so I figured those of us that have Vaio's need a home.

I installed Leo 10.5.2 via Leo4All v2, then, after several days of reinstalls while working through kext issues, i've made it all the way up to 10.5.4 using a stock 9.4.0 kernel.

I'm using a Sony Vaio VGN-498E/W. Obviously there are a lot of revisions of the Vaio out there, but for those of us that have the more modern versions, I think we have similar equipment. Here are some of the highlights of my model:

Intel (5750) Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz

3 GB DDR 400 RAM

250 GB Seagate HD

Marvel Yukon Ethernet (can't remember model # offhand) (works with modified Marvel Yukon kext included in Leo4All v2)

Intel 4965 A/G/N Wifi (not currently working correctly; works somewhat with the iwi4965 kext currently in development, but causes kernel panics on boot and only connects to unprotected networks, so I don't recommend it at this time)

Intel GMAX3100 Video (based on GM965 chipset) (currently working using Paulikat's natit.kext and a revised IntelGMAX3100FB.kext, as well as Leo Graphics Update IntelGMAX3100 kexts - all except the "FB" kext as you need the revised version of that - plus SwitchResX configuration to enable widescreen 1280x800x32@60hz)

TIXX12 CardBus (working thanks to Chun Nan's rev 3 package)

TI 5-in-1 SD/XD/MMC/Memory Stick Pro Card Reader (**currently not working, although I think a fix could definitely be developed for this**)

My install method:

Leo4All v2

*GUID partitions w/ EFI v 8

*stock 9.2.2 kernel

*Marvel Ethernet kext (called something else, but the description is for Marvel Yukon)

*AppleAzalia kext

*ICHX kext

Upgraded to 10.5.3 via Kalyway; removed all AppleIntelGMAX3100 kext's initially in order to avoid the infamous "white fuzzy screen" upon reboot - also used the stock 9.3.0 kernel

Upgraded to 10.5.4 via stock Apple update - including stock 9.4.0 kernel (sleep is working!)

I fixed the video using the following method (this MUST happen AFTER 10.5.3 kalyway update; otherwise the install will freeze up mid-stream):

Pre-altered GMAX3100 kext package, with Paulikat natit.kext

SwitchResX Control Panel (used this to create the custom 1280x800x32@60hz resolution)

Additionally, I solved a few other problems using some kext's I found on here:

ACPIBattery.kext - for users needing battery meter, but are using Vanilla kernel (PowerManagement pack does not work for vanilla kernel because ACPI Power Source kext's aren't present)

ClamshellDisplay.kext - to enable sleep on lid-close

Eventually I plan to update this post with links to the applicable kext's, but for now I figured i'd lay out the process.

We'll have to wait for Intel 4965 to be fixed (a lot of other mfg's use this too), but i'd love to figure out how to get the TI card reader enabled. Apparently there is already a Linux method involving LSPCI and SetPCI that can fix it; i'm not sure if this is applicable to Mac OS X though as there apparently aren't any stock drivers available.

I'd also like to tweak EFI in the hopes that it might benefit the system in some way but I haven't messed around with that.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bump on such an old post, but I happen to have this very same Vaio model :unsure:

Thanks USMarshall for compiling this kext best practices. As this laptop is now older I believe some people (like me) will be more interested in tinkering and messing with it...

Does anyone know if the video/wifi issues have been improved/worsened with the newer 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 versions?

I really appreciate any feedback as I am about to install OSX on my Vaio in order to play a bit with the iPhone SDK...

Thanks a lot!

• 1 year later...

Hello, I am new to this Forum and am trying to get everything to work with mac OSX 105.2 on my Sony Vaio vgn-nr498e. I have the osx up and running but I don't have wireless internet, ethernet jacks don't work, nor can I get my video working in 1280x800 resolution. I have been reading on the forums I am guessing I need a modified intelGMAX3100FB.kext. I am going to build a Hackintosh with an I5 processor but for the time being i would like to get it fully operational on my Vaio. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 initially and picked the vanille kernal. I also used the Gmax 3100 as my graphics. Initially I got a blue screen but i could hear the startup movie. I found a fix for that on these forums just don't remember what i did. I typed some stuff in related to the video before osx booted. that got rid of the blue screen. Please help

Someone please help!!! I can't make a new post because it says I don't have permissions to make a new post. Could someone help with my sony vaio vgn-nr498e. Couls someone provide a step by step process in which they got it to work on their sony vaio