AR5001(X) - A driver that works in 10.5.

Guest BuildSmart

4 posts in this topic

Guest BuildSmart

Everyone has been complaining about the lack of a working driver or PCI/miniPCI cards that just didn't want to play nice after modifying the Info.plist file and for the most part I had little interest in the issues until I began experimenting with off-the-shelf products for compatibility.

You know you have one of these devices if your Vendor ID is 13

My neighbor picked up a miniPCI adapter to install in his laptop and he couldn't get it working under 10.5 without the system panic'ing on a reboot so it was time to see what was really going on with the apple driver using HexRays and see if it could be reverse-engineered to a point where a useable driver could be generated that didn't panic the system.

Attached are the results of that work.

Here is the installation command: place archive at drive root, include parenthesis in command, enter password when prompted

(cd /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ && sudo tar xzf /AR5001X.tar.gz)
sudo kextload -vt /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AR5001X.kext

Please do not post in this thread, if you have questions, comments or a bug-report please start a new thread, if this thread is tainted with a response the driver will be discontinued and no, the source is not available so don't ask.

AR5001X.tar.gz

• 1 year later...
Everyone has been complaining about the lack of a working driver or PCI/miniPCI cards that just didn't want to play nice after modifying the Info.plist file and for the most part I had little interest in the issues until I began experimenting with off-the-shelf products for compatibility.

My neighbor picked up a miniPCI adapter to install in his laptop and he couldn't get it working under 10.5 without the system panic'ing on a reboot so it was time to see what was really going on with the apple driver using HexRays and see if it could be reverse-engineered to a point where a useable driver could be generated that didn't panic the system.

Here is the installation command: place archive at drive root, include parenthesis in command, enter password when prompted

(cd /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ && sudo tar xzf /AR5001X.tar.gz)
sudo kextload -vt /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AR5001X.kext

Please do not post in this thread, if you have questions, comments or a bug-report please start a new thread, if this thread is tainted with a response the driver will be discontinued and no, the source is not available so don't ask.

Could I please ask you to extend this solution so that AR242x family could function. I have been struggling with it for three weeks no no success. Here is the extract of Artheros card from lspci -nn:

08:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01)

I do appreciate your hep and thanks.

Artimess

• 6 months later...

Well, I didn't manage so successfully follow your instructions, so I just copied AR5001X.kext to /System/Library/Extensions and restarted. No the card is detected, but it is switched off. I click on "Switch on" but nothing happens. I also tried the slider on the netbook, nothing again. My netbook is Acer Aspire One A150, if that matters. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

• 1 year later...

i tried your kext and get a lock up instantly, even with perm fixed.

dunno what to do to get it working !!! :S