Full Time Hackintosh Users, Speak Out!

zeamp

32 posts in this topic

I see a lot of people here struggle with updates, upgrades, and keeping their Hackintosh, HackBook Pro, whatever you want to call it up and running with Mac OS X. But what about the power users? I don't use anything but my hacks -- even over a "Real Mac" because of cost and flexibility. I upgrade it all while in a production enviorment and don't have to hold my breathe. It just works... on Dell, HP, you name it.

I want to hear from the "full time" Hackintosh users. Where are the people that use ONLY their hacks, for EVERYTHING because it's just that solid?

Steve, you may want to turn away before reading this... :-)

I am with u methamp!!

My mac mini is begin used as a media server, and my hack is my main computer!

Mine is a pc i built my self, it did take a few goes with different parts but its running like a dream!!

Everything works, no software problems, no crashing, updates are no prob.

Everyone should have one!!

well, I confess to owning real apple hardware, but my primary work desktop is a hackintosh. I have updated it from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2, then 10.5.3, and now 10.5.4. I don't just assume updates will work, and have a rsync drive setup that I use (I boot the cloned partition, update, and if everything goes well, I reverse rsync back to the main drive). I also run OSX86 on a Sony Vaio UX180p micro PC, tho at present it is still running 10.5.2 since I havn't found time to update it. (The UX was fun since I had to open it up and replace the wifi card with a broadcom based card).

-Josh

Windoze only lasted on my Hackintosh for about a week after I installed the original deadmoo image three years ago. After checking out the OS, running some apps, etc. I saw pretty quickly just how lame windoze was. Since then, I've done every update, and am currently at 10.5.4 on my P4 Dell 8400. As a direct result of my Hackintosh experience, I purchased a Mac Pro and it's the best computer I've ever owned. Having said that, my trusty Hackintosh is sitting right next to me and I use it every day.

I only use OSX on both of my machines. They run really solid 10.5.4. I do everything from internet to audio production without crashes whatsoever. I still have a XP HD on my tower but I havent booted it in months.

I been monitoring the OSX86 scene since the "Tiger" days but I only been successful with Kalyway Leopard installer. Initially I just want to try it "for the fun of it", being a Linux user I'm just excited with the fact that I'm using a FreeBSD Hybrid in OSX. After a week of testing OSX, accessing my files on an ntfs drive via ntfs-3g, I bought a new hard drive, formatted in Mac Journaled FS, transferred all my files there and now using OSX as my primary OS. Running Adobe Production Suite, MAMP, Eclipse and Firefox. I got all I need.

Oh, I still boot XP to play NBA Live 08. :(

I use my hack in production, along with my real macs.

Now I'm also building a hack-server to complete the setup in my buero.

As I pointed out in some other boards as well - this is not because I like the idea of a hackintosh, but because of the lack of the o often discussed Mid-Range-Mac.

If there was an extendable desktop Mac, like the Macpro, but a bit smaller, using Q6600 i.e. as cpu for a price that is not as "professional" as the MacPro's I would never go for a hack. But I can't afford $2000 for a MacPro and iMacs are absolutely not the right choice for me. All this laptop-equipment stuffed in the case of a screen doesn't give me what I need.

And in times where everything gets more expensive everyday we have to look for new ways of working with the money we have.

But let me say clearly: I own a license of OSX/OSXserver for every hack I use and it's an important fact for me.

And I'm still a big fan of Apple's design and of some of their ideas and products. I wish my bank was also ;-)

It's really good that you started this thread methamp. I was actually looking for a discussion like this before I started with hackintosh. I've no idea that time how 'stable' a hackintosh is. The feedbacks here prove that it's not simply a toy OS. The fact that we've been a happy converts running hackintosh for production just prove to show how great OSX is.

All I use is my Hack and with Time Machine updates aren't a concern. I keep Vista installed for gaming, but for everything else theres OS 10. I'm sure one day I'll buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro, but an overpriced Apple desktop is completely out of the question.

after purchasing a macbook for school, i realized i could never go back to windows again. so for just under $700 (thats including a 22inch-wide samsung) i built myself a hackintosh that benchmarks equivelant to the current iMac. windows is on a seperate partition that i never boot because the hackintosh runs so smoothly. never had a stability issue while running the whole adobe CS3 package or any other program. :thumbsup_anim:

Well I just recently decided that the only OS I would use on my laptop would be Mac. Linux had bad support for my graphics card, Windows was ok but Mac has better support for my graphics card. Plus its a pretty awesome OS :)

Well I've been using both platforms from as far as I can remember, but only got into OS X when I got my iBook. I picked up on it quickly, and started fooling around, even doing Linux things on it. Then as my iBook got older I saw the OSx86 Project which I was a member of from the start and decided why the hell not. So I installed expecting it to be the slowest POS ever but to my shock, it wasn't!!! It ran faster than the iBook and then I kept it. Now, I'm building a full blown hack, which you could take a peek at in my sig.

Hackintosh is rock solid dude.

Hi all.

Since I installed the hackintosh to my rig, some problems were showing up, but it´s quite normal to happen since we´re installing a system that´s not fully compatible to the hardware in most cases. I had problems with my MOBO BIOS because it wouldn´t me allow to run the 4 cores of my CPU. But this is past.

Solved all the problems, thanks to few members of this project, I can say that my hackintosh is rock solid as Kamikaze says. :) I still have Windows Vista installed to a different HD just in case something goes wrong with my hackmac, but I don´t see the "face" of my windows for a long time.

Hope more and more people can speak out about their experience on running OSX to their rigs quite nice.

[]´s

I bought a laptop for $200 with no os and celeron m 1.73 and i goes fast in leopard and i can use vanillia kext and it's recongized as a intel core solo And best of all everything works exept the wifi it worked awhile but after reboot it stopped working

I run a standard Dell Dimension 9200 PC and a HP DV6716ez laptop both running vanilla with two added kexts and ona modded kext to get them all working! Several(9+) months ago my Windows drive became my CCC backup drive for just incase! Now the system is so stable I'm begining to use it as a backup for my movies!

I bought a iMac and a emac a while ago to fix up and resell, but have not had the heart to do so, so the children in our flats play on them instead of my machines! I don't think any of them will ever want to own a PC! :(

SticMAN

Linux had bad support for my graphics card

I am surprised to hear that. OpenSUSE supported my GMA 950 beautifully from day one (June 2006). Debian took a bit longer, but it was fine eventually. But I sold that mobo quite a long time ago (I have a Bad Axe 2 now, no integrated graphics). Which distro do you use?

After setting up my HackBook Pro, I upgraded my old 3 GHz Celeron D war horse and installed Vista on it as a dedicated PC game machine. My Mac? Sitting here on my desk, running great with 10.5.4. I use it approx. 8 to 12 hours a day, 6 days a week!

I´m a full-time osx86 user...with no problems at all.

Need windows? I just use Parallels.

Ops! 1 problem: printing via network. Sometimes it runs ok; sometimes I just don´t know how to install a driver.

Pony up the (49EU?) money for PrintFab -- If you do network printing, it's well worth it. I have a Canon MP530 at the office on a Windows domain (2003 Server). Canon supplies native Mac (Intel) drivers and software but network printing was nonexistent until I used PrintFab. Google it :unsure:

I am running Mac OS X on my desktop that I assembled for hackintosh. I also use Mac OS X on my Gateway NX260X. I ditched all Linux and Windows systems for good, and now only use Mac OS X on those two and my real Mac. :D Linux was easy to give up because Mac OS X is really a UNIX system, and because Linux clients sucks big time in multimedia applications. Windows was a little bit harder because of Microsoft Money and DVD Shrink, which I have used for 7 years, but I finally gave them up.

I use Mac OS X for mostly coding in C/C++, typesetting in LaTeX, making slides with Keynotes, and playing tunes and movies. I am really happy with my desktop hackintosh because it is stable and fast and virtually requires no maintenance.

One bad aspect of hackintosh that no body talks about is the addiction (or maybe just for me). Whenever I see a possibility, I change a machine into a hackintosh. I have convinced my friends and changed their machines into hackintoshes (three of them so far). :D

I use Mac OS X for 8 hours at home and school and Linux (on the desktop in my office) for 2 hours at school.