LawlessPPC-Leo-10.5.4-Phenom&AMD

246 posts in this topic

I didn't say anything about the frequencies of the cpus, or price. I just don't see how the tri-core cpus are failed quad cores, when 3 cores were implemented on purpose. AMD released Tri-core for a couple of reasons.

1.To expand the market from dual core, and quad core solutions.

2.For those who want more than a dual core system, but can't go out for a quad core system.

3.These are more or less low value cpus when you look at them.

I suggest you try to make your response sound less like a wikipedia answer...Not saying that's where the info came from, but it sounds like a wiki article imo...>_>

you asked for an answer and i gave you 1 but you questioned it as tho I was wrong!!! The speed rating was an example of not all chips make the grade. AMD produce Quad core Phenoms any that have 1 core with any issues get that core disabled then sold as a tri-core. Its not to expand any market its simply better to sell them as a tri-core and more profitable than simply throwing them away!

What in gods name is so bad about my answer sounding like a wiki. If you dont want an answer dont ask a question. If you think Im wrong go find out different. Ring AMD and post their response. Ive been building, repairing, upgrading systems since the late 80's. Thats the majority of systems not just IBM Clones. Perhaps thats why my answer sounds like a wiki.

I continue to post in here to try and offer some support but when I give the right answer to a question and get a response like this why should i bother. It makes me seriously wonder about releasing anything else ive done. Its a damn site easier to just support my own hardware. Instead of doing a release (BETA) then get feedback and try to fix any issues for some hardware I dont possess.

Right gonna get of my soapbox now

LawlessPPC

AMD Took the same idea as ATI, most ATI cards are just the higer card with features turned off. Like the phenom has a core turned off/disabled.

I have installed this and I chose the SB600 chipset from the list and under hard disk usage it either freezes or panics and tells me to restart ;).

Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5

AMD64 Athlon X2 5600+ 2.8GHz

4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz (all recognised as 800 :D)

2x 320GB SATAII Western Digital AAJS

1x 74GB SATAI Western Digital Raptor

If I use a SB600 kext I found before it doesn't do this unless there is a LOT of usage (Saving disk image from a DVD for instance)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

James

AMD Took the same idea as ATI, most ATI cards are just the higer card with features turned off. Like the phenom has a core turned off/disabled.

I have installed this and I chose the SB600 chipset from the list and under hard disk usage it either freezes or panics and tells me to restart :D.

Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5

4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz (all recognised as 800 :))

If I use a SB600 kext I found before it doesn't do this unless there is a LOT of usage (Saving disk image from a DVD for instance)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

James

can you try adding this to your com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>maxmem=3456</string>

this will tell it not to use more than 3.5 GB of memory roughly. This is the theoretical limit of a 32bit OS

please let me know response

can you try adding this to your com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>maxmem=3456</string>

this will tell it not to use more than 3.5 GB of memory roughly. This is the theoretical limit of a 32bit OS

please let me know response

I thought MacOS X was 64bit.

I tried adding these strings to the com.apple.Boot.plist and it cut my RAM down to about 3.5GB but unfortunately did not fix my problem :)

Weird thing is, I can run time Machine and it can back up 20GB+ worth of data and complete without errors. I can also copy 5GB of data from another drive fine and download files of 100MB+ and again all is fine.

Thanks,

James

I tried adding these strings to the com.apple.Boot.plist and it cut my RAM down to about 3.5GB but unfortunately did not fix my problem :)

OS X will run in 64-bit mode if you have a 64-bit Intel processor. Are you running OS X on a Core 2?

Weird thing is, I can run time Machine and it can back up 20GB+ worth of data and complete without errors. I can also copy 5GB of data from another drive fine and download files of 100MB+ and again all is fine.

Thanks,

James

from what I understand mac OSX is a not 100% 64bit I may be wrong on this tho and as far as I know the probs you described are only an issue on NForce boards and this was the fix for it. Sorry it was worth a try. Are you using sata1 or 2 drives??? not sure if this is relevant but heard mixed reports on this. thats with all releases. The next thing I would try is a bios update then clear cmos and double check all the settings in bios are correct.

Please let me know how you go on.

Thanks,

James

from what I understand mac OSX is a not 100% 64bit I may be wrong on this tho and as far as I know the probs you described are only an issue on NForce boards and this was the fix for it. Sorry it was worth a try. Are you using sata1 or 2 drives??? not sure if this is relevant but heard mixed reports on this. thats with all releases. The next thing I would try is a bios update then clear cmos and double check all the settings in bios are correct.

you asked for an answer and i gave you 1 but you questioned it as tho I was wrong!!! The speed rating was an example of not all chips make the grade. AMD produce Quad core Phenoms any that have 1 core with any issues get that core disabled then sold as a tri-core. Its not to expand any market its simply better to sell them as a tri-core and more profitable than simply throwing them away!

What in gods name is so bad about my answer sounding like a wiki. If you dont want an answer dont ask a question. If you think Im wrong go find out different. Ring AMD and post their response. Ive been building, repairing, upgrading systems since the late 80's. Thats the majority of systems not just IBM Clones. Perhaps thats why my answer sounds like a wiki.

I continue to post in here to try and offer some support but when I give the right answer to a question and get a response like this why should i bother. It makes me seriously wonder about releasing anything else ive done. Its a damn site easier to just support my own hardware. Instead of doing a release (BETA) then get feedback and try to fix any issues for some hardware I dont possess.

Right gonna get of my soapbox now

LawlessPPC

You gave me an answer to another question, not my question. >_> That's all I'm saying, I didn't ask what your background was, how a chip gets its frequency, but no, AMD did not make the tri-core phenom because 1 core failed. Your answer sounds like a wiki article, because it sounds like you just copied and pasted it off a wiki, which doesn't do much for you. Don't know if you did or not, but just saying.

And I did not criticize your release at all! I didn't say it was bad or good, I just had a question for it! Now you're starting to sound like a drama queen. No offense, but that's just how I'm seeing it.

OS X will run in 64-bit mode if you have a 64-bit Intel processor. Are you running OS X on a Core 2?

Ah I see, I am running on an AMD 64-bit processor.

The BIOS is fully up-to-date and as far as I am aware all of the settings are okay.

I have 3 hard Drives in the machine.

2x 320GB SATA2

1x 74GB SATA1

It happens no matter which drive I write to. Strange thing is, like I said, Time machine backs up 20GB+ data and completes fine :/

Sorry for the double post, but I have to apologize. There is not a problem anymore. The problem was with the Disc I was trying to copy I think, when I copied the files from the disc manually it said it couldn't read some files. I did a disc image of another disc and it seemed to work fine.

Although the ones on the LawlessPPC disc cause issues the ones I downloaded elsewhere work great, maybe you could add these?

LawlessPPC you are absolutely AMAZING :) Thank you for this Awesome release :D

James

Ah I see, I am running on an AMD 64-bit processor.

The BIOS is fully up-to-date and as far as I am aware all of the settings are okay.

I have 3 hard Drives in the machine.

2x 320GB SATA2

1x 74GB SATA1

It happens no matter which drive I write to. Strange thing is, like I said, Time machine backs up 20GB+ data and completes fine :/

with time machine are you backin up on usb???

I tried installing this on my laptop... it stops booting at:

NTFS driver 2.0 [Flags: R/O]:
NTFS volume name , version 3.1.

Any ideas?

Ok these are just ideas NTFS -3g needs a clean unmount of NTFS drives from a previous session or they cant be accessed. If NTFS-3g gets launched durin install its earlier than then the version that gets installed. 2 things to try first is boot with -x argument, second run chkdsk on this drive and let it fix errors.

Let me know how you get on

my laptop is acer aspire 4520

• AMD (Turion) Athlon 64 X2 Processor - TK-55 (1.8GHz, 512kB L2 Cache combined)
  • Nvidia nForce 610M chipset
  • Nvidia GeForce 7000M onboard graphics capable of up to 256MB VRAM (shared)
  • 1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM (512MBx2)

i want to know if is possible to install with this release, i try with the latest zephirot and install without problem but when try to boot from the installation always (still waiting for root device) i try with different settings in the installation but no luck

so what i want to know is if my hardware is supported with this release

thanks

for me the first boot of the dvd took about 20 minutes, the 2nd after installation too, i needed to remove the ati*.kext and then it booted within a few seconds.

maybe have a bit of patient?

@lawless, everything works now, only my ati hd 2600 mobility doenst (no qe/ci), if they get this card working, i will submit you everything i needed

@agel1

look at my hardware, works exept the graphic card

normaly it should work fin with yours

greetings

I have installed this and everything is working great except for two issues.

1. I cannot Sleep or shutdown.

When I choose shutdown, my PC stays powered on unless I manually power it off.

When I choose Sleep the machine seems to sleep but then goes back to the desktop.

2. Weird graphics.

Everything will work fine for a while but then it seems that buttons have graphics missing and sometimes the text disappears from the icons in every window :S. I am going to try turning OFF QE/QC to see if that helps later.

Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5

nVIDIA 8500GT 512MB

for me the first boot of the dvd took about 20 minutes, the 2nd after installation too, i needed to remove the ati*.kext and then it booted within a few seconds.

maybe have a bit of patient?

@lawless, everything works now, only my ati hd 2600 mobility doenst (no qe/ci), if they get this card working, i will submit you everything i needed

@agel1

look at my hardware, works exept the graphic card

normaly it should work fin with yours

greetings

I really appreciate this you cant beat a fine user

When I choose Sleep the machine seems to sleep but then goes back to the desktop.

2. Weird graphics.

Everything will work fine for a while but then it seems that buttons have graphics missing and sometimes the text disappears from the icons in every window :S. I am going to try turning OFF QE/QC to see if that helps later.

Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5

nVIDIA 8500GT 512MB

The shutdown issue do you finally lose all icons on desktop if so it will eventually shutdown if not review you power saving mode in bios. Any graphics issues I think Im on top provided we can confirm it a working driver for 10.5.2 or 10.5.3. What happens is 10.5.4 has its own latest drivers and it seems the majority of Hack drivers out there are set to down grade the files it has to replace so you either get a mixture of hack driver and official driver or just official driver. What I have to do is rebuild the installers for this relatively simple but not able to test for all cards. Is it possible you can link me to your correct driver and I will try to make a working installer for you to try.

i fixed shutdown with the hda patcher (realtek audio) and then hda fix, maybe this helps you

All the icons disappear and Mac OS itself actually shuts down, but it doesn't power off my machine like linux and Windows do.

As for the graphics problem I am not sure where to get the correct driver. I have an nVIDIA 8500GT 512MB.

With QuartzGL turned off it seems the graphics corruption doesn't happen.