Movement or Geekhood

10 posts in this topic

I've been into this hackintosh concept since the first 10.4.1 version back in September, and now with my 10.4.3 install I'm using my Hackintosh on a daily basis for my normal PC tasks. Well kinda all tasks really, except some gaming and other minor stuff like wathing movies (I haven't yet looked into whether it's possible to playback divx movies on this beast).

But I was wondering yesterday, how big is this? I mean, are we only a small geeky crowd who like to tinker with our gadgets and most of all like a challenge? Or do you reckon we might be the spearhead of a larger movement?

I can't really tell myself. I hope the latter, but I'm more inclined to beleive it's the former. Whadda y'all think? :D

no, we just like to tinker with our gadgets...nothing more

do u really think an ordinary computer user could do any of this stuff? all of us who simply have made it to these forums are well above the common person's undestanding of computers...be it on any operating system

no, we just like to tinker with our gadgets...nothing more

do u really think an ordinary computer user could do any of this stuff? all of us who simply have made it to these forums are well above the common person's undestanding of computers...be it on any operating system

Yes, of course no normal PC user would have a clue on how to install the current versions. But it seems to be getting easier and easier (or maybe I've just done one too may times :D), and at some point illegal DVDs with easy installable OS X might be as common as Windows XP today. The thing that goes against all this though is that OS X is very much a moving target compared to e.g. Windows.

The problem IMHO is the hardware support as the first obstacle. I know people who would like to give it a shot but thir hardware just isn't the right one. A freak like me can buy hardware to be compilant, but most users wouldnt. Then there sure is the software thing. Right now even the Photoshop wich Macs are famous for is lagging on Intel, so no point istalling OSX as a working environement.

Then again - it's really important to have broadband to use OSX - you have to download tons of software to use it...

Well, my point is that it's still unlikely that many users do the switch. Not in the current state of the OS...

I do use it as my only os, though :)

PS: DivX is ferfectly playable by VLC :)

But it seems to be getting easier and easier

yeah, you've just done it so many times eventhough the majority aren't unix geeks, the commands just spews out of your mind (not knowing where it came from or what it actually does) it's 'coz it's the right thing to do just to make the os function.

Well, how big is the Linux population? I'd say that the vast majority of folks on this forum have at least some experience with some form of UNIX, if not several versions. As for hardware support, I suspect that we will see a much more extensive list of supported hardware when Apple starts shipping the PowerMac G5 replacements this spring. Needless to say, when Adobe gets onboard with Intel versions of their software it will be a major impact.

we're a minority, a tiny tiny minority. I'm sure there are loads of people who've tried out x86, but I'm not sure there are that many that actually KEEP it on their machines. Its quite hard to maintain - whenever an update appears you have to go hacking. Then again, its EASIER to maintain than my PC, because you spend ages running virus checks, running Spybot, defragmenting etc etc

Personally I use x86 all the time now - the only reason I keep XP is for Photoshop (I couldn't care less about gaming). When the unibin of Photoshop comes out I'm dumping XP for good. And if, at some point in the future, Apple works out how to make x86 uncrackable, well.... I'll just buy a Mac and migrate everything over to that. Not a problem. ("ouch" says my credit card lol)

Never going back to Windows. Been using it since it came out, and I've had enough.

Xiberia is right, we are a tiny minortiy. All the ppl in the world who have osx86 on there PC's will be less than Million probably like 0.1-0.5 million

The only reason i use OSx86 is ease of use. Ok if i watch Lost on my laptop, my battery lasts barely a hour. But for word/browsing its awesome. Also i never have to reinstall OSX. I have reinstalled windows atleast three times since October and OSX 10.4.3 never(I did reinstall 10.4.1 coz of space issues and when 10.4.3 came out, but never becoz the OS killed itself coz it had nothing better to do).

Plus no Antivirus/Spyware/Firewall. Just plain bliss.

Plus it syncs perfect with my Razr v3.

But QE/CI forces me to go to windows for games. Also my Ti4600 owns my 855GME. Only thing stopping me from removing OSX86 is wifi connectivity. Saving up for a Dell 1450 (Had to send my Razr for repair and partyed too much and birthdays etc).

PS: DivX is ferfectly playable by VLC :)

Even for nVidia/sans working kext so forced to VESA3?

I thought divx etc utillised the GPU?

What worries me is no cool'n'quiet support for my AMD64 under os X :angry:

Under Windows c'n'q makes it run @1000mhz for common usage,

(Houston, we've found an advantage for Windows over osx :police: !!!)

And now under osx it runs at it's full 2.21 GHz capacity.

Q: Will this seriously shorten the life expectancy for my AMD cpu?

Greetings,

Wiebeest