Why do people hate Vista but love OS X and/or Linux?

dillon31292

146 posts in this topic

:D Vista, I got a bluescreen 4 days after I installed. As for Linux, well, I tried Ubuntu. Ubuntu hates me, it won't connect to the internet :unsure: . The most successful operating systems I've used on my PC (Vostro 1400) are XP and OS X Leopard 10.5.2. :D:P;)

i v tried nearly all linux distros, it s simple as 1 + 2 : i don t like it at all .....too much assle for nothing ...no enough apps...unfriendly...

Vista plain sucks but if you want to loose 50% of your time then it can be a good option ;)

OsX is as great as XP !! They are both very stable if you are carefull on what you install.

I personnaly use XP64 & OSX Léopard on my Digital Audio Workstation without any problem.

I m also trying Windows 7 on my laptop & i m pretty happy with it, it s like a " super vista ", rapidity of XP with features of XP, promising !!

I hate to say it but soo far with windows seven I think OSX mite again have to run for it money. The hole new UI is something windows can finally brag about and yes Multi-Live Preview panels with integrated desktop applets is something never done before Aero Peek and Aero Shake FTW

and yes I talking about eye candy Vs Eye Candy

is I was going to compair software compatibility I think we all know were that still stands

theres stillllll way more 100000(s) of windows titles vs Mac and linux titles put together .....

Eh.

Personally, I triple boot Vista SP1, Ubuntu 8.10, and OS 10.5.2. OSX is nice and all, but it just isn't all that 'great'. It does absolutely nothing for me in terms of either functionality or visually that isn't done with Ubuntu or Vista.

Ubuntu offers me a OS that is lightweight enough to work on my 7 year old laptop, yet good enough where it requires no dealing with drivers. XP doesn't do that. Vista does, but the laptop doesn't run it very well.

Vista supports all my PC's hardware out of the box. It also supports every application I've ever wanted to install. It also supports ever video game I play - both console-based and PC-based. It does everything I need it to, looks decent, and doesn't crash on me. That's all I really ask for in an OS.

So, why do people hate Vista, but love OSX or Linux? Simple - because Vista got bad press, and it's fun to hate Microsoft. Pretty much, that's it. Every person I've seen use, heard of use, or installed Vista for, has never had a problem with it. OSX has that cool feel to it, as a product, even though it doesn't often deliver the goods in my experience (both personally, and friends/family members that have bought apple computers, end up never doing so again). So, people like it. Linux is nerdy, and geeks like to cling to it - even if they don't use it on a daily basis.

Eh.

Personally, I triple boot Vista SP1, Ubuntu 8.10, and OS 10.5.2. OSX is nice and all, but it just isn't all that 'great'. It does absolutely nothing for me in terms of either functionality or visually that isn't done with Ubuntu or Vista.

Ubuntu offers me a OS that is lightweight enough to work on my 7 year old laptop, yet good enough where it requires no dealing with drivers. XP doesn't do that. Vista does, but the laptop doesn't run it very well.

Vista supports all my PC's hardware out of the box. It also supports every application I've ever wanted to install. It also supports ever video game I play - both console-based and PC-based. It does everything I need it to, looks decent, and doesn't crash on me. That's all I really ask for in an OS.

So, why do people hate Vista, but love OSX or Linux? Simple - because Vista got bad press, and it's fun to hate Microsoft. Pretty much, that's it. Every person I've seen use, heard of use, or installed Vista for, has never had a problem with it. OSX has that cool feel to it, as a product, even though it doesn't often deliver the goods in my experience (both personally, and friends/family members that have bought apple computers, end up never doing so again). So, people like it. Linux is nerdy, and geeks like to cling to it - even if they don't use it on a daily basis.

agree. osx means nuthing to me but fun for few minutes then i get bored because i have nothing there to work. probably i am a microsoft guy in that sense.

i dual boot with vista and vliteXP. i have crippled down lot many unnecessary services and now it runs lightening quick. xp sounds awesome to therefore and i spend most of time using xp

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry they aren't as intrusive or as poorly implemented. And don't say you can turn it off. As My grandmother doesn't know how.

All modern operating systems use alot of ram. Who cares! It's like 60 bucks for 4 gig now. That being said Vista is slower than all 3 of them while still using a fukton lol. Next!

another bad point. You can run windows software on all three but with 2 of them you don't have to use vista! (wine,virtualiztion, no vista=win)

Mac OSX is designed to run on specific hardware. Ubuntu linux has very similiar hardware support to vista. No vista's problem isn't it's hardware compatiblity.

Konfabulator was originally a mac program I used it nice try. It was developed by Arlo Rose, Perry Clarke, and Ed Voas. Originally released on February 10, 2003 as a Mac OS X only application which cost US$24.95 Widgets were not originally in windows. Can you provide a link to Bill Gates saying the above? Metadata based search engines weren't either companies original idea.

No one is really complaining about the difference in ui from xp to vista. Furthermore this is not the real problem with vista. A slow, poorly designed OS is the bigger issue. yes I've used it. I went back to xp.

It must suck to be disturbed by the truth. OSX is clearly a better operating system than vista. Desktop Linux not so much. Desktop Linux is still a joke for the average user. http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/ to see why.

you kidding me linux pwns if anything linux is supported by billions of devices

that website you provided is complete bs to

i hate these kinds of threads it is a bloated os with nothing but glam and sham but i have to say its not that bad now compared to xp but vista is still a joke in my eyes even though i use it

If you want a joke, try Windows ME. NOBODY liked Windows ME. Atleast Vista, not all people, but some people like it.

Linux is nice, if you know what you're doing.

Os X is very simple to use, but then osx86 is only nice if you know what you're doing to set it up.

Windows is actually pretty easy to use, only because it's so common to use. Os X, I just felt has always been simple to use from the get go.

If you want a joke, try Windows ME. NOBODY liked Windows ME. Atleast Vista, not all people, but some people like it.

I liked WinME. It was not as good as Windows 2000, but it was better than Win98. WinME's problems get exaggerated more and more as time goes on.

Much like Vista, the people who complain most about WinME probably never used it.

Linux is nice, if you know what you're doing.

Os X is very simple to use, but then osx86 is only nice if you know what you're doing to set it up.

Windows is actually pretty easy to use, only because it's so common to use. Os X, I just felt has always been simple to use from the get go.

when i was a complete dumb ass to computers i still knew how to work with linux

My main reason that I switched completely was because using Vista in my computer, I always get a temperature of 39C just using common applications like a browser to surf the web, don't know why but with OS X my temperature went down to 26C :P Vista to me is a completely fail.

All negative hype aside, I cringed when I used to hear the word Vista. However on one of my rigs I have had Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed for quite some time now and have yet to run into a problem....not even one. So I can't complain! If you don't have a computer that can support it, I wouldn't go that route though.

Valdeam 6d3a1e06d6a06349436bc054313b648c.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus {censored} Christ! Why can't people just use the OS they like and stop flaming the one they don't!?

It's a matter of preference, don't like Windows? Ok, fine, just shut up and let me be. Same goes for OSX.

Personally, ive always been a Windows User and will probably continue to be for a while, although i like OS X to have it as a secondary OS.

Why cant people just choose an OS and be happy about it?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like Vista because it's slow as hell compared to XP in VMWare Fusion. It's not terrible but I've had nothing but problems with lots of BSODs compared to trusty XP Pro. Linux just plain sucks as a desktop OS(unless you're running ancient hardware) because most of the apps are open source which most of the time implies cheap knockoffs of commercial apps with terrible UI design(see Open Office and GIMP).

• 3 weeks later...

What's most amazing is that the biggest vista bashers are the ones that never use it. I suppose that shouldn't be a big surprise (after all, why would you use something you bash so greatly :)), but many of the people bashing it not only don't use it, but have never used it. They speak from other people's "mixexperiences" as though it's a warped version of the telephone game. "Mac can't get viruses", etc etc. Most people that do the most bashing of whatever OS show how much they don't know at some point of their arguement.

That being said, I'm a fan of both Windows and Mac. I used to complain a lot about windows up until XP came out. When Vista came out, I was very satisfied. I've had hardly any problems, and no BSODs on my own system. At work, I use a MacPro, which I installed Vista-64 on, and now I keep getting the BSOD at random intervals (I'm actually surprised, as the common consensus is that Vista 64 is actually good, and Vista-32 is what needs work).

I may just take the Vista-64 off and replace with Vista or 7/32, for the sake of full compatibility with Pro Tools.

My main complaint about OSX is that it's possible to mess things up without realizing (such as overwriting original files with shortcuts, thus deleting the original files, like I somehow managed to do), which of course, isn't even possible (in the same manner, that is) in windows (because shortcuts != files). Stability-wise, the only system cashes I've experienced are on hackintoshes, so I haven't seen OSX with REAL problems on a real mac (then again, I haven't seen windows problem on the "optimized" PC/Laptops they bundle, either). Either way, if you've got a build of hardware that's known to be supported fully by the OS, then you shouldn't have any random problems; only user-created ones.

All in all, the real question here is "why would you want to limit yourself to just one OS, anyway"?

Multi-boot, FTW!