Why do people hate Vista but love OS X and/or Linux?

dillon31292

146 posts in this topic

"...but Vista has UAC!"

Linux and OS X have an equivalent. In Linux you have to go through a bunch of {censored} to do root-related tasks.

"...but Vista uses too much RAM!"

Leopard is a greedy little whore when it comes to RAM consumption too. Same goes for Linux when using things like Beryl, Compiz Fusion, and Emerald.

"...but Vista is incompatible with pre-XP Windows software!"

And said software can be magically installed in OS X or Linux without an emulator or virtualization program of some sort? No.

"...but Vista won't work out of the box with my hardware and I might have to search for the drivers!"

You would have to do the same with Linux. As for OS X, lol. Working out of the box on a select number of machines doesn't = compatible.

"...but Vista copied OS X' Spotlight, widgets, and chess game!"

Apple introduced Spotlight two years after Gates said it would be in Vista, widgets were originally for Windows (konfabulator), and pre-95 versions of Windows had a 3D chess game similar to the one in OS X.

"...but Vista's UI is too different from XP!"

And you think that you'll be familiar with OS X or Linux if you can't figure out how to get around in Vista?

While I am an Apple/Linux fanboy (for OS X' GUI/software and Linux' customization), it always disturbs me when people say these things about Vista yet at the same time say that another OS (that they haven't even tried half the time) is better. Opinions?

This isn't a save Vista thread. I could care less about whether or not MS succeeds, since I'll be dropping Windows permanently once I get my shiny MacBook. I'm just in the mood to argue with somebody regarding their opinions.

Awesome picture btw.

"Opinions are like {censored}s, everyone has got one..." --Whoever Said It First

You will come to find out on InsanelyMac that a lot of the users are fan boys either way to some extent. They are set in their opinions on pretty much everything and will not change them no matter what you say.

"What? Did you say the sky is blue? Your dumb! It is clearly green!" That kind of thing.

What Colonel means by a "save vista thread" is that about every week a person who has some common sense finally gets annoyed to the point that they have to post a thread like this to ask why. I admit, it is a somewhat personal failure for people like you and me to get involved in this kind of nonsense. Because like me, it seems that you have an open opinion about all operating systems and you look at things as they are, and not what they are perceived to be...

Cody

Sorry for any inconveniences. ;)

No inconveniences. All random accounts of thought are welcome in my opinion. It gives us something to talk about during a somewhat dead past few weeks on the forum. :)

Look Vista got a terrible reputation at first but it really isn't that bad. I bought Vista when it first came out and I've never had any problems with it. It is a much different layout but most things make sense once you think about it.

The big problem with Vista is that it throws up all over you when you try and run software that isn't supported by Windows. One of the great things about XP was that it ran okay with just about anything. Of course, I don't know if the new versions of OS or Linux are any better in this department.

"...but Vista has UAC!"

Linux and OS X have an equivalent. In Linux you have to go through a bunch of {censored} to do root-related tasks.

Sorry they aren't as intrusive or as poorly implemented. And don't say you can turn it off. As My grandmother doesn't know how.

Leopard is a greedy little whore when it comes to RAM consumption too. Same goes for Linux when using things like Beryl, Compiz Fusion, and Emerald.

All modern operating systems use alot of ram. Who cares! It's like 60 bucks for 4 gig now. That being said Vista is slower than all 3 of them while still using a fukton lol. Next!

And said software can be magically installed in OS X or Linux without an emulator or virtualization program of some sort? No.

another bad point. You can run windows software on all three but with 2 of them you don't have to use vista! (wine,virtualiztion, no vista=win)

"...but Vista won't work out of the box with my hardware and I might have to search for the drivers!"

You would have to do the same with Linux. As for OS X, lol. Working out of the box on a select number of machines doesn't = compatible.

Mac OSX is designed to run on specific hardware. Ubuntu linux has very similiar hardware support to vista. No vista's problem isn't it's hardware compatiblity.

Apple introduced Spotlight two years after Gates said it would be in Vista, widgets were originally for Windows (konfabulator), and pre-95 versions of Windows had a 3D chess game similar to the one in OS X.

Konfabulator was originally a mac program I used it nice try. It was developed by Arlo Rose, Perry Clarke, and Ed Voas. Originally released on February 10, 2003 as a Mac OS X only application which cost US$24.95 Widgets were not originally in windows. Can you provide a link to Bill Gates saying the above? Metadata based search engines weren't either companies original idea.

And you think that you'll be familiar with OS X or Linux if you can't figure out how to get around in Vista?

No one is really complaining about the difference in ui from xp to vista. Furthermore this is not the real problem with vista. A slow, poorly designed OS is the bigger issue. yes I've used it. I went back to xp.

While I am an Apple/Linux fanboy (for OS X' GUI/software and Linux' customization), it always disturbs me when people say these things about Vista yet at the same time say that another OS (that they haven't even tried half the time) is better. Opinions?

It must suck to be disturbed by the truth. OSX is clearly a better operating system than vista. Desktop Linux not so much. Desktop Linux is still a joke for the average user. http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/ to see why.

"...but Vista has UAC!"

Every distro of linux I've tested on all my computers works OBB and OS X works OBB for me with the leoallv3 installer if I have my old 3com card in the computer.

Windows was good at a point till they forget that user's are the one suffer's should mishap's happen... At one time Windows did support on different platform but why stop ?? When was the last IE made for Mac...

In terms of FOSS and Mac OS they have their own agenda and their own focus, thats to deliver a better software than there is available on windows platform. You should see the difference with iWork compared to Office, price / features its a huge difference.

What i see on Microsoft failure to listen to end user's and just keep bagging the cash... If Apple can provide "Family Pack License" to end user why not from Microsoft ??

By far i see todate Mac OS Leopard i good as not only support PPC/x86 but 32/64bit platforms AIO package.. Last i tried WinXP 64 there was 2 version's of IE 32/64bit apps, why can't integrate into a single app ?? impossible ??

Once have been said that it's crazy to have beautiful GUI on a NIX platform, but yes it's as crazy as it get's now... NIX on a iPhone... hehehe

What i disagree most about Microsoft is how they manipulate the end user's with their software packages...

Who have the last laugh, laughs loudest...

And that's EXACTLY why OS X just works.

Sorry they aren't as intrusive or as poorly implemented. And don't say you can turn it off. As My grandmother doesn't know how.

Wow, it asks whenever you want to install something or change administrative settings. So intrusive.

And your grandmother would know how to turn it off in OS X? Or a Linux distro? Didn't think so.

All modern operating systems use alot of ram. Who cares! It's like 60 bucks for 4 gig now. That being said Vista is slower than all 3 of them while still using a fukton lol. Next!

Alot of people care apparently, since they're constantly bitching about Vista's RAM consumption. I have Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba notebook with 1GB of RAM and I have Leopard on an iMac G4 with 1GB of RAM. Guess which one lags and gives me minute-long rainbow swirls? Not the notebook. In fact Vista only uses 200mb of RAM on it. As for my recent notebook with 2GB of RAM and a 1.8GHz AMD Turion 64x2 processor, Vista runs perfectly.

another bad point. You can run windows software on all three but with 2 of them you don't have to use vista! (wine,virtualiztion, no vista=win)

Did you even read my post?

Konfabulator was originally a mac program I used it nice try. It was developed by Arlo Rose, Perry Clarke, and Ed Voas. Originally released on February 10, 2003 as a Mac OS X only application which cost US$24.95 Widgets were not originally in windows. Can you provide a link to Bill Gates saying the above? Metadata based search engines weren't either companies original idea.

Meh, I was thinking it was '03 for Windows and '04 for OS X. Either way Konfabulator came before Dashboard, so either both OS' are copycats or neither are.

It was in a large list of things he said would be in "Blackcomb". I'll search for a reference later. It doesn't matter who's idea they were, the point is that they weren't ideas stolen from Apple.

No one is really complaining about the difference in ui from xp to vista. Furthermore this is not the real problem with vista. A slow, poorly designed OS is the bigger issue. yes I've used it. I went back to xp.

Alot of people do, actually. Vista is faster than XP on a decent machine, trust me, I used to boot between the two all the time when I first got my Vista-based notebook. Turns out Vista was, unlike what I thought before using it, better (gasp!), and I erased XP from the drive forever.

It must suck to be disturbed by the truth. OSX is clearly a better operating system than vista. Desktop Linux not so much. Desktop Linux is still a joke for the average user. http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/ to see why.

The truth of what?

I never said OS X or Linux were not better than Vista, I [indirectly] said that they are not better when it comes to the things people {censored} about. There's a reason I'm getting a MacBook.

this is a joke.

Spotlight was apples first

vista uses a ton of ram.. a ridiculous amount

vistas drivers fail.

and apple came up with widgets before konfabulator.

Please my friend do some research

Heres the thing...

You can spend your time arguing which OS is the best, making you feel like your e-{censored} is bigger because you got a "point" across. OR, you can just enjoy the OS you use. They all do the same thing, you use them, you play games on them, you watch movies on them, you listen to music on them, you get on the internet on them. They all do the same thing! They all have their good points, they all have their bad points, there's just no real use in arguing about it.

this is a joke.

vistas drivers fail.

Spotlight wasn't really Apples first, Windows had planned it when they released the original OS plans before Vista was made before Apple had released any information on spotlight plans. Microsoft had it first. Apple implemented it and perfected it faster.

this is a joke.

vistas drivers fail.

As stated before, Spotlight was introduced years after Gates said it would be in Blackcomb/Longhorn/Vista. Microsoft just waited too long to release a new OS. Instant/indexed search has been available in OS' long before either had it anyways.

Vista uses RAM based on how much you have and how much you need to do what you want to do. 150-600MB is not a ridiculous amount.

Actually, I was wrong. Desktop X had the first widgets, available for Windows in 2000.

MacOS did not have widgets. It, and several other OS' at the time, used desk accessories