XP on an imac, up and booting (no joke this time)

Noved84

356 posts in this topic

he just posted on his site:

"Update : After receiving a lot of traffic last night my 125gb per month account is suspended? I have been getting around 8000 hits a day prior to yesterday when it spiked to 30,000. That does not generate 125gb of traffic in half a month considering that there is nothing but images to download on the site. This is quite ridiculous."

he just posted on his site:

"Update : After receiving a lot of traffic last night my 125gb per month account is suspended? I have been getting around 8000 hits a day prior to yesterday when it spiked to 30,000. That does not generate 125gb of traffic in half a month considering that there is nothing but images to download on the site. This is quite ridiculous."

where is his site? i have a server that has a 1.5 terabyte bandwidth limit, and i'd love to let him know i could help mirror information if he needs it.

Like everyone out there who has gotten either an iMac or MBP core duo I am chomping at the bit to be able to get a dual boot solution.

I sincerely hope Narf has cracked it and I think it is probable. Can't see why he would wait this long then releasse a photoshopped image (could have done that months ago).

What worries me is that the final solution will involve messing with Windows XP loader or kernel. That to me would be an unacceptable solution as this will break all copy rights. We need a solution which allows installing windows XP, Vista or whatever from original cd/dvd without any messing. This would not vioalte any copyright agreements (provided you own the software).

The final solution has to be a form of CSM whether. I have trashed my mac several times trying different options and I do actually feel fairly confident it's not outside of our reach.

Anyway lets keep our heads up, keep on working on a solution in case Narf hasn't cracked it and by the way if you all send me money I can create a competition then shut my site down near the end of it.

We are all working to this competition but are we really sure that the competition is really real ?

Whose to say the competition is not a scam... The owner of the site could be happy swanning off with your $12k right now laughing at us.

I suggest we all get on with it and try and resolve it by sharing, open source etc.

It is do-able (Nothing in life is impossible). But let's not sit back and wait for it to happen, lets make it happen.

I believe the method that's being worked on by the BAMBIOS team will actually achieve what you are saying. They are basically writing a customized compatibility layer that could load Linux (which according to them already works) and Windows. In the short term, I just want Windows to work on these machines, but on a long run, I want a method that is easy to install, and allows you to install any legacy OS you want without modifications.

What worries me is that the final solution will involve messing with Windows XP loader or kernel. That to me would be an unacceptable solution as this will break all copy rights.

Reverse-engineering for interoperability is considered fair use.

Yes but hacking the kernel probably is not on the list of approved things to do. I have a hunch as much as MS wants Windows to work on Macs (which I'm beginning to wonder about thanks to their halt on Vista EFI development for the time being) they won't like people modifying its closed source software regardless of if they own it. Fair Use or Not. Just as apple is doing its best at cracking down on people hacking its OS to run on other non macs you can bet MS will be much more protective. Narf probably just became the maxxuss of the Macintel world.

winxponmac.com is up on a different server - windowsxp.onmac.net, forum.onmac.net and windows.onmac.net are not. I have been trying since 9:30 pm CST last night to get in touch with Zesthost but have had no luck until now - 12:30 pm CST the next day. Im going to try and pay them more to put me on a better server to get the site back up - I know it looks bad and Im sorry for the downtime.

So as a test I started XP in VPC n my Powerbook in full screen mode and went to my new MacBook Pro started Apple Desktop remote loged into my powerbook and viewed the other machine in fullscreen mode, and there is is XP running on a Intel Mac its that simple, I could take a screen shot or all the phony pictures or video I want. Lets hope this is not the case here.

So as a test I started XP in VPC n my Powerbook in full screen mode and went to my new MacBook Pro started Apple Desktop remote loged into my powerbook and viewed the other machine in fullscreen mode, and there is is XP running on a Intel Mac its that simple, I could take a screen shot or all the phony pictures or video I want. Lets hope this is not the case here.

Not to say that you couldnt do it with another method, but try and use your method to create this screenshot - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32436196@N00/...in/photostream/

Oh whoops - I guess using apple desktop remote you could - although I heard that that software doesnt have a universal binary yet :D

Yeah right, like one guy says in the comments after the photo, Windows XP installation screen is ALWAYS 640x480...not taking 100% of the monitor like in that photo. Seems like another fake. Sorry.

I call BS on that. I have an HP zd7000 notebook with a 1440x900 display and the video card scales the installation screens right up to fill the monitor. I'll take a picture and edit it into the post if I can find a reasonable camera.

Everybody here knows, or think, that those photos can be fakes.

The point is not "is it possible to photoshop them or not?", but "are they fakes or not?".

It is impossibile to know exactly what it is if we do not have the information about how to do it.

And we wont have it before the end of the contest.

I really don't see the reason for all the arguing. As it has been said before Narf isnt going to win the 12k by showing a few pictures on flickr. Why would he release photoshopped pictures when they do him no good. Also on the website (Before it went down) 9 people had been selected to test the method on a MBP, a Mac Mini and Imac. If it doesn't work he doesnt win. I'm sure he knew that photoshopping a few images wouldn't help him anywherealong the line. I too have my doubts but I don't believe the pictures are fakes.

Just my two cents :poster_oops:

Thi3f

I really don't see the reason for all the arguing. As it has been said before Narf isnt going to win the 12k by showing a few pictures on flickr. Why would he release photoshopped pictures when they do him no good. Also on the website (Before it went down) 9 people had been selected to test the method on a MBP, a Mac Mini and Imac. If it doesn't work he doesnt win. I'm sure he knew that photoshopping a few images wouldn't help him anywherealong the line. I too have my doubts but I don't believe the pictures are fakes.

Just my two cents :)

Thi3f

I totally agree with you thief. What does anyone have to gain to waste time to post a sequence of pictures showing his/her progress??? If someone can answer that reasonably (provide a decent motive), then I may consider the idea of these being fakes... but until then, I am going to remain optimistic. To reiterate what has been said several times, pictures alone can not win the contest (12K). The solution will be validated by several testers before any money is given away.

My thought is that its those ridiculous mac fantatics who are making the "fake" claims; they still don't want to acknowledge the fact that their precious "mac world" is no longer secluded from the rest of the software world. Denial, thats all that this "BS" talk is...

Keep it up Narf!

heres the deal...

Colin and Narf= best buds.

Colin had this great idea to get this contest going.

He has hundreds donate cash, ending up with about 12k in his account.

Narf pulls off his "magic."<---photoshopped deliciousness.

The have the server go down and play it off as "The prooceessoorr couldn't takee it..."

they get the "testers."

Testers will confirms, of course. however, the solution will not work for anyone, cuz they just used a simpler version of NeoSmarts guide....:poster_oops:

Colin and Narf split the cash.

Everyone who donated gets screwed, even those two IBM guys with their silly BAMBIOS thingamabobber.

Buuuut really,

I should write a movie.

after editing this about six times, i felt i should add that I am really not serious(if you couldn't tell.) I think narf has done it. BAMBIOS sounds better since no hacking will be involved.

nice conspiracy theory haha

Personally, the more options the better. If more than Narf can come up with a solution, I'm all for it. The best solution is one that is easy to install, and lets you install any Windows without modification to Windows itself.

yes, it is. But I can't imagine it being harder than what Narf is doing. I mean, creating it, it must have been harder,probably. By the time its released, users will most likely find it easier than you know, going in and hacking parts of xp or whatever with Narf's way.

Forgive me if i'm wrong, I really haven't read that much up on bambios. I just assume... and we all know about ASSuming things though, right?

heres the deal...

Colin and Narf= best buds.

Colin had this great idea to get this contest going.

He has hundreds donate cash, ending up with about 12k in his account.

Narf pulls off his "magic."<---photoshopped deliciousness.

The have the server go down and play it off as "The prooceessoorr couldn't takee it..."

they get the "testers."

Testers will confirms, of course. however, the solution will not work for anyone, cuz they just used a simpler version of NeoSmarts guide....:poster_oops:

Colin and Narf split the cash.

Everyone who donated gets screwed, even those two IBM guys with their silly BAMBIOS thingamabobber.

Buuuut really,

I should write a movie.

after editing this about six times, i felt i should add that I am really not serious(if you couldn't tell.) I think narf has done it. BAMBIOS sounds better since no hacking will be involved.

I like the conspiracy theory. I wish I had thought of that - unfortunately it wont work. If you havent watched "The Usual Suspects" you would probably enjoy it.

uh, just a coincidence the last day of the contest is 4/1 ?

first the site goes down, then the delay, then hyping the game to get more $$$ in the kitty.

Not a bad haul. Better than those old ebay scams eah narf? he he.

( just kidding) : O