XP on an imac, up and booting (no joke this time)

Noved84

356 posts in this topic

well as most of us know, narf made some of the initial ground work for all of us, though i imagine his methods at this point will be secretive until he confirms it works, and then publishes them for the contest win.

i strongly doubt this image is doctored in any form. A little optimism would be nice for a change.

If the picture came from some random person, then yes, we should be skeptical. These pictures came from Narf, who has already done quite a bit in terms of booting Windows on Intel Macs. Also, I checked the official On Mac forum, and the person who runs the contest has gotten a hold of a member on Narf's team. It seems right now the progress is legit. I really doubt Narf would waste the time to put out a fake image, when he has absolutely nothing to gain from doing that.

Guest Stefisun

Yeah right, like one guy says in the comments after the photo, Windows XP installation screen is ALWAYS 640x480...not taking 100% of the monitor like in that photo. Seems like another fake. Sorry.

Yeah right, like one guy says in the comments after the photo, Windows XP installation screen is ALWAYS 640x480...not taking 100% of the monitor like in that photo. Seems like another fake. Sorry.

I wouldn't be too sure. If he is using the EFI framebuffer somehow, like the linux folks did, I don't see why he necessarily needs to be running at dot-for-dot native resolution. The EFI layer may be scaling 640x480 up to full screen. For that matter, the video card could be scaling it.

But I know nothing.

I wouldn't be too sure. If he is using the EFI framebuffer somehow, like the linux folks did, I don't see why he necessarily needs to be running at dot-for-dot native resolution. The EFI layer may be scaling 640x480 up to full screen. For that matter, the video card could be scaling it.

But I know nothing.

maybe we should send him an nvidia card

:D

A couple insightful comments from earlier screenshot postings by Narf:

"There is no linux or virtual machine involved. Its booting directly on the hardware with the help of a custom-developed "CSM" (where the quotes indicate its not a full-blown CSM: just enough to get Windows to boot)."

Regarding the full-screen install comments:

"'I'm definitely not going to reveal any details about this because getting the VGA working is a big piece of the puzzle. Just don't assume the XP kernel hasn't been patched a bit. You've never seen a widescreen boot like this because you don't hack the NT loader...enough said."

Sounds like a lot of work...

Guest Stefisun

Come on guys, look at this picture which is on the right side of the site and tell me it's not Photoshoped.

Pleeeeaaasseee.

post-19889-1142195445_thumb.jpg

I mean he couldn't even shape it correctly on the right side?

Come on guys, look at this picture which is on the right side of the site and tell me it's not Photoshoped.

Pleeeeaaasseee.

I mean he couldn't even shape it correctly on the right side?

If anything that authenticates the photo. He explains on flickr that it was a crappy cell phone photo. Look at the shadow and lighting across the screen. There is a pretty consistant reflection of the environment on both the screen surface and the iMac frame, right down to their effect on the cell phone image compression artifacts.

If it is a fake, it is a very good one. Have you tried to photoshop a screenshot onto a crappy cell phone photo? Getting the artifacts to look consistant would be nearly impossible. But here we see clear bleeding and other artifacts from the screen surface into the surrounding environment, as well as complete lighting and reflection consistancy.