Please share - how do you connect to your TV?

MiniHack

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have tried searching, but haven't found a good thread on this. I use my Hack in my office, where it connects via DVI, but want to bring it to the living room where I need it to connect by S-video cable. I bought a Geforce 7300 variant, but the hacks do not seem to give it TV functionality. This is a common theme for most cards as far as I can see.

I know also that the Apple DVI to S-Video converter only works if there is an analogue video signal in the DVI (so doesn't work with the Geforce). I have read that the X1900 will work with this adapter, but it is not what I want (I am looking for a cheaper solution that will fit inside my Shuttle SD30G2 and not use too much power). So, please share - if you have a PCI-e card with working TV out, what is it and what Kext do you use?

So I take it that your tv does not support either HDMI or DVI in? As you can get a DVI->HDMI Adapter/Cable

The S-Video Don't work on my laptop for its out put either. But my tv has the standard VGA(For computers) in so I do not experiment with that as much.

If your tv has HDMI use the DVI->HDMI adapter if you can. If not then I am sorry that I couldn't help more.

Word of advice if you decide to use the DVI->HDMI Adapter/Cable do not buy it from BestBuy!!! It is a rip off 6ft = $60.00 w/out tax.

No, I don't have HDMI on current TV so am looking for an S-video TV out connection that works, OR one that definitely includes the analogue video signals so I could get these via a converter......

A lot of cards have an S-video output, but not many seem to actually work as Hackintosh. I'll edit the first post to list on it any that have a workable solution as I am sure there are others in my position.

I bought a Geforce 7300 variant, but the hacks do not seem to give it TV functionality

They do

I know also that the Apple DVI to S-Video converter only works if there is an analogue video signal in the DVI (so doesn't work with the Geforce)

That's wrong. Only dual DVI nVidia boards don't support it. ie mac pro nVidia boards, all others are OK. ATI and GMA support it too.

Ok, let's be specific to my situation. I have an MSI NX7300 (which is a GeForce LE equiv. I believe). I have switched from kalyway to the boot 132 method and have two installs working. One a fresh retail install that has an NVinject with an NVcap that makes the DVI work, but which black screens on the TV out. The Apple converter does NOT work on this card with the NVcap to convert the DVI to s-video output, I just get black screen.

My other install is a simple clone of my MacBook, with the on board Apple kexts recognising the card as a 7300GT and giving me the same results of DVI but no TV and no translateable DVI to S-video.

Both installs are at 10.5.4 and give me full QE/CI etc. and I have tried different NVcaps as well as trying with NVKush/NVinject and experimenting with EFI studio.

So, if you know of a specific NVCap that will work and a specific injector that will give me TV-out please share that. Yes, I am a noob having only been in this for a few weeks, but I am a quick learner so please share (and don't just refer to a 20 page thread please).

I am also prepared to put some work into this thread and commit to updating the first post to include lists of cards and solutions that give a TV-out signal correctly, having searched quite a lot I think this would be useful to forum visitors. So while I want to solve my issues, I'd like this thread to be more helpful than being just for me.