iMac issues.(G3)

6 posts in this topic

Ok, so I just bought a new iMac G3 today which has OS 9.0 on it and it was formerly a school computer so everything is now locked. I can't access internet or anything. I want to be able to update the rom version and then try and install OSX but I just can't use anything. Is there anyway to bypass all of this?

Thanks.

Well, when I try to access system preferences or Netscape Navigator or anything else it pops up an error that the program is locked. In the start bar at the top there is a place that says "Login", when I open that it gives several "user" names like Tech or Student but it asks for a password. Like I said, I just bought this thing and would like to be able to actually USE it. Is there anyway I can reset a password or boot into some type of Safe Mode?

So I finally fixed it. What I had to do(which I probably shouldn't share due to security issues, but I will anyways!), I booted the iMac while holding the "Shift" key; this boots with No Extensions loaded. Then I opened my the System Folder and trashed Multi-User Preferences. That took care of it when I rebooted. I was able to update firmware and now I'm ready for OSX. I also ran across 1GB ram for dirt cheap so that should help. Thanks again for the help. :)