USB 2.0 for Leopard 10.5.7

Slice

390 posts in this topic

When I connect a usb device (or LAN cable! the same) in the booted OSX, it doesn't get recognized.

Wen I connect a usb device (or LAN cable) BEFORE booting OSX, it usually gets recognized.

also have similar problem. when booting with connected usb devices (all of them; even my 2 synths, external audio card and wifi stick that have native mac os support) - they are shown in system profiler, but don't work. after i reconnect them all of them work ok until reboot.

all other stuff works. can't find the root of the problem.

im on mac os 10.5.7

asus p5b-e

core2duo e6600

geforce 8800 gts

2 gb ram

any ideas and tips would be very appreciated 'coz it's quite annoying

thanks in advance

First of all thank to orByte for the method to correct USBEHCI driver

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28559

He is disappeared making only version 303 that is not enough.

I open new topic because I can't update orByte's topic with new version.

Previous my correction USB308 works!

Now sources 315.4.1 is available at Apple's site and I can easy rewrite it by orByte's method.

This is corrected sources and my compilation. All targets can be compiled except IOUSBFamily and IOUSBLib. Use stock similar.

EDITED 03.08.08

My kexts are not tested yet so be ready to return to version 308.

EDITED 21.11.08

I corrected EHCI and UHCI plugins for sleep support

Instructions how to install

That's all!

EDITED 19-09-2008

Apple publish 10.5.5 sources. IOUSBFamily is the same but IOUSBMassStorageClass is updated!

There is my compilation with small corrections.

EDITED 19-12-2008

New compilation from 10.5.6 sources. I change version to 3.2.8 to differ from Apple's kexts.

What new? I add support for Intel ICH4-5, 9 (ICH10 added by Apple), NForce (MCP79 by Apple, MCP78 and other by me), SIS7001.

Some internal mistakes corrected.

All files tested in 10.5.5 so it compatible with old systems (Leopard only!).

You also may try my IOPCIFamily.kext v254 to improve interrupts handling.

AppleUSBEHCI328.kext.zip

AppleUSBOHCI328.kext.zip

AppleUSBUHCI328.kext.zip

IOUSBMassStorageClass205.kext.zip

EDITED 18-05-2009

New compilation from 10.5.7 sources. Now version is 3.4.4. This version include all previous fixes, new DeviceIDs and forced sleep capabilities even if it is not really supported (as discussed with Hafnium).

EDITED 28-05-2009

Add support for ICH10R DeviceID=3a6x

EDITED 26-05-2009

If you see error at startup

then it is not USB problem. It is a problem with interrupts in whole system.

If USB sometimes works, sometimes no then it is the same problem.

To solve it, download my new IOPCIFamily v2.6.1 (from my signature). It may correct such problems!

EDITED 01-06-2009

Add support for NForce DeviceID=36d

Compile new USBProbe

IOUSBFamily_343.4.4.zip

IOUSBFamily344_2.kext.zip

USBProber.zip

EDITED 15-08-2009

Version for 10.5.8 is here

Important

sudo rm -r -v /System/Library/Extensions/PCGenUSB*

sudo rm -r -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PCGenUSB*

After Installing Ktext for IOUSBGFamily 3.4.4 with iATKOS v 7 on AMD ASusn M2NMX

I am getting AppleUSBEHCI[]::UIMFinalize - could not get chip to halt within 100 ms Error and then System says Disk0s03 : data underrun .

System does not boot . Please help.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there a modified IOPCIFamily.kext for 10.5.8 somewhere?

I only see one for Snow.

/EDIT

Never mind, found it at the ProjectOSX forums.

Can you please tell me where the modified IOPCIFamily.kext for snow leopard is.

THANXXX!!!

After struggling for the past day and a half to get IOUSBFamily (385.4.1) building on Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (it's ridiculous, but the sources from Apple have blatant bugs in them from preventing compiling right out of the box), I was finally able to get IOUSBFamily built and get Slice's patches integrated in the updated Snow Leopard sources of IOUSBFamily.

However, even though I can compile it just fine and get it to load and recognize my DQ45CB's USB devices (which are ICH10R-based (the Device IDs aren't present in the vanilla IOUSBFamily.kext from Apple so I needed this fix)) - there's definitely bugs in it. I noticed when I have two devices plugged into a Hub it sometimes hangs the initialization of USB (taking a long time to come up) or just won't initialize properly at all. Other times it works just fine with only a slight delays for initialization by 10-15 seconds.

I'm using darwinbuild to build the kits (somewhat buggy to get working and probably would have spent less time building directly from Xcode/root environment), but I would be happy to supply my diff to anyone who wants to look at it.

To tell you the truth, I really don't understand the code well enough to fix this, but I'll try to look through it again tomorrow to see if there's anything obvious I'm missing (since the code bases are somewhat different than the original code.) It could be some of the patches aren't valid for this version and need to be pulled out (I'll try to play around with it over the next week.)

It will be a real shame if I can't get this working 100%, because everything else works just fine on the DQ45CB without a single issue or a lot of changes (haven't tried sleep yet, although I wouldn't use it anyway) including audio (VoodooHDA), networking (Intel82566MM), SATA (AHCIPortInjector) and even the DSDT is error free (and didn't require any significant patching.)

Finally, I did have a bit of trouble getting the system installed since I couldn't get USB working so I ended up doing it from CD using EmpireEFI (since USB wasn't working) and then I switched back to vanilla Chameleon RC4 for the running system in case anyone cares. (Also, the system type that worked for me was MacPro3,1.)

Either way, I'm attaching the modified IOUSBFamily.kext (built from Snow Leopard 10.6.2 sources) just in case someone wants to play it (but please be warned - it's not perfect so don't blame me if something happens to your system because of it.) Maybe for you it will work just fine. Good luck with it.

IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My USB ports were all showing version 1 so yesterday I loaded both IOPCIFamily.kext and IOUSBFamily and after that, they were showing as 2.0 high speed and everything was fine. When I booted up today, my USB are showing version 1 again but the kext folder still contains the new kexts. Any ideas as to what happened? Thanks

Edit: When starting up with -f, all usb ports work and show as Hi-Speed 2.0. After rebooting without -f, it's back to USB 1.0

When I delete the AppleHPET, the system takes much longer to start up. It took about 5 minutes compared to about a minute before I deleted it.

Here is my setup:

Mobo - Asus P5W DH Deluxe - latest bios version

Intel E6700 - 2.67ghz

3GB Ram

HDD - 500GB SATA

DVD-RW - SATA

Nvidia Geforce6200LE

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried this on a Hp Dv4 1131 tx laptop and its not working,when i go to system profiler and click on Usb i can see that the system can see my ports but the devices are not read even if i reboot with them pluged in no difference.......What can i do?

Running Leopard 10.5.8 iDeneb

P.s-All my My Kernal and System are running at the same version.

First of all thank to orByte for the method to correct USBEHCI driver

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28559

He is disappeared making only version 303 that is not enough.

I open new topic because I can't update orByte's topic with new version.

Previous my correction USB308 works!

Now sources 315.4.1 is available at Apple's site and I can easy rewrite it by orByte's method.

This is corrected sources and my compilation. All targets can be compiled except IOUSBFamily and IOUSBLib. Use stock similar.

EDITED 03.08.08

My kexts are not tested yet so be ready to return to version 308.

EDITED 21.11.08

I corrected EHCI and UHCI plugins for sleep support

Instructions how to install

That's all!

EDITED 19-09-2008

Apple publish 10.5.5 sources. IOUSBFamily is the same but IOUSBMassStorageClass is updated!

There is my compilation with small corrections.

EDITED 19-12-2008

New compilation from 10.5.6 sources. I change version to 3.2.8 to differ from Apple's kexts.

What new? I add support for Intel ICH4-5, 9 (ICH10 added by Apple), NForce (MCP79 by Apple, MCP78 and other by me), SIS7001.

Some internal mistakes corrected.

All files tested in 10.5.5 so it compatible with old systems (Leopard only!).

You also may try my IOPCIFamily.kext v254 to improve interrupts handling.

AppleUSBEHCI328.kext.zip

AppleUSBOHCI328.kext.zip

AppleUSBUHCI328.kext.zip

IOUSBMassStorageClass205.kext.zip

EDITED 18-05-2009

New compilation from 10.5.7 sources. Now version is 3.4.4. This version include all previous fixes, new DeviceIDs and forced sleep capabilities even if it is not really supported (as discussed with Hafnium).

EDITED 28-05-2009

Add support for ICH10R DeviceID=3a6x

EDITED 26-05-2009

If you see error at startup

then it is not USB problem. It is a problem with interrupts in whole system.

If USB sometimes works, sometimes no then it is the same problem.

To solve it, download my new IOPCIFamily v2.6.1 (from my signature). It may correct such problems!

EDITED 01-06-2009

Add support for NForce DeviceID=36d

Compile new USBProbe

IOUSBFamily_343.4.4.zip

IOUSBFamily344_2.kext.zip

USBProber.zip

EDITED 15-08-2009

Version for 10.5.8 is here

Important

sudo rm -r -v /System/Library/Extensions/PCGenUSB*

sudo rm -r -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PCGenUSB*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Slice,

thanks for your great work!

can you give me a hint on which version of USB fix to install on my machine?

it is a MSI Wind PC (specs: http://www.msi-computer.de/index.php?func=...maincat_no=134) ) with a Intel 945GC chipset.

currently, USB works, but only with 12Mbit

I am running 10.5.6 ( XxX_86_10.5.6.Final.v2 ), also tried MSIWIndOSX87

thanks for your efforts,

geb ;)

Hi i got a problem with an usb stick it removes itself after a while is there a fix i can install ? i cant writing a new topic so i would be pleases if someone can help me. im using the voodoo 9.5.0 kernel

• 3 weeks later...

Help flash drive is still not being recognized

I used the Now version is 3.4.4 iousbfamily343.44 and the other one. And flash drive is still not being recognized.

Download attachements to desktop

Double click to unzip

Enter terminal

sudo -s

cp -r -v ~/Desktop/IOUSBFamily.kext /S*/L*/E*/

chown -R root:wheel /S*/L*/E*/IOUSB*

rm -v /S*/L*/E*.mke*

diskutil repairpermissions /

reboot

• 11 months later...