USB 2.0 for Leopard 10.5.7

Slice

390 posts in this topic

First of all thank to orByte for the method to correct USBEHCI driver

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28559

He is disappeared making only version 303 that is not enough.

I open new topic because I can't update orByte's topic with new version.

Previous my correction USB308 works!

Now sources 315.4.1 is available at Apple's site and I can easy rewrite it by orByte's method.

This is corrected sources and my compilation. All targets can be compiled except IOUSBFamily and IOUSBLib. Use stock similar.

EDITED 03.08.08

My kexts are not tested yet so be ready to return to version 308.

EDITED 21.11.08

I corrected EHCI and UHCI plugins for sleep support

Instructions how to install

Download attachements to desktop

Double click to unzip

Enter terminal

sudo -s

cp -r -v ~/Desktop/IOUSBFamily.kext /S*/L*/E*/

chown -R root:wheel /S*/L*/E*/IOUSB*

rm -v /S*/L*/E*.mke*

diskutil repairpermissions /

reboot

That's all!

EDITED 19-09-2008

Apple publish 10.5.5 sources. IOUSBFamily is the same but IOUSBMassStorageClass is updated!

There is my compilation with small corrections.

EDITED 19-12-2008

New compilation from 10.5.6 sources. I change version to 3.2.8 to differ from Apple's kexts.

What new? I add support for Intel ICH4-5, 9 (ICH10 added by Apple), NForce (MCP79 by Apple, MCP78 and other by me), SIS7001.

Some internal mistakes corrected.

All files tested in 10.5.5 so it compatible with old systems (Leopard only!).

You also may try my IOPCIFamily.kext v254 to improve interrupts handling.

AppleUSBEHCI328.kext.zip

AppleUSBOHCI328.kext.zip

AppleUSBUHCI328.kext.zip

IOUSBMassStorageClass205.kext.zip

EDITED 18-05-2009

New compilation from 10.5.7 sources. Now version is 3.4.4. This version include all previous fixes, new DeviceIDs and forced sleep capabilities even if it is not really supported (as discussed with Hafnium).

EDITED 28-05-2009

Add support for ICH10R DeviceID=3a6x

EDITED 26-05-2009

If you see error at startup

AppleUSBEHCI[0x3849800]: unable to get filterInterruptEventSource

then it is not USB problem. It is a problem with interrupts in whole system.

If USB sometimes works, sometimes no then it is the same problem.

To solve it, download my new IOPCIFamily v2.6.1 (from my signature). It may correct such problems!

EDITED 01-06-2009

Add support for NForce DeviceID=36d

Compile new USBProbe

IOUSBFamily_343.4.4.zip

IOUSBFamily344_2.kext.zip

USBProber.zip

EDITED 15-08-2009

Version for 10.5.8 is here

Important

sudo rm -r -v /System/Library/Extensions/PCGenUSB*

sudo rm -r -v /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PCGenUSB*

Hi Slice,

I tried your 315 but it's a no go for me.

Here's the error log:

2AppleUSBUHCI is not compatible with its superclass, 17IOUSBControllerV3 superclass changed?
Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI.
Couldn't alloc class "AppleUSBUHCI"AGP: not supported e238

The 308 loads fine. However, even though it could detect my USB devices (Kingston thumdrive / Memorex external HDD) in the System profiler, it doesn't mount or show up in the Desktop.

usb-profiler.jpg

Here's what I did:

1. I unzipped your 315 file

2. I chown/chmod the files to 0:0 755

3. I deleted similar files found in /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

4. I copied the files over to that directory

5. Deleted the following:

• /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
    /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
    /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches

6. I rebooted

7. Entered -f -v as boot options

My Rig:

Kalyway 10.5.2

AMD 64 X2 4200

Asus M2V mobo

VIA8237A chipset

1. show your dmesg or system.log

2. what compilation did you try: my or dmdimoff?

3. did you replace IOUSBFamily.kext provided by dmdimoff?

4. did you try set in BIOS legacy USB support?

1. show your dmesg or system.log

It's up there in my post. That's what it shows when I used your 315 sources.

2. what compilation did you try: my or dmdimoff?

I used your USB315.kexts.zip

3. did you replace IOUSBFamily.kext provided by dmdimoff?

No. Am I supposed to do that? I'm using the default IOUSBFamily.kext from the Kalyway install disk. I just replaced the files in the PlugIns directory with the ones you have provided.

4. did you try set in BIOS legacy USB support?

Yes.

I think I will try number 3 above and see what happens. Thanks! :)

I recommend use _or_ full slice compiled kexts _or_ my.

Just becoase I used xcode 3.1 against leo 1.5.4 libraries and slice cross-compiled under Tiger for leo.

PS. I cleaned some small glitches and give sources back to him.

I recommend use _or_ full slice compiled kexts _or_ my.

Just becoase I used xcode 3.1 against leo 1.5.4 libraries and slice cross-compiled under Tiger for leo.

PS. I cleaned some small glitches and give sources back to him.

Okay.

1. I deleted the IOUSBFamily.kext from my /System/Library/Extensions/
  2. I unzipped the file you provided. I copied the IOUSBFamily.kext from there into /System/Library/Extensions/
  3. I fixed permissions. Deleted caches.
  4. Reboot with -f -v as boot options

My devices were not detected. Here's the dmesg:

michael-janapins-mac-pro:~ michaeljanapin$ sudo dmesg | grep -i USB
 Password:
 USBF:	0.658	Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS
 USBF:	0.661	USBLEGCTLSTS value c0002000
 USBF:	0.665	EHCI - Ownership conflict - attempting soft reset ...
 USBF:	0.669	EHCI - toggle OS Ownership to 0
 USBF:	0.924	Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x1000001 - writing OSOwned
 USBF:	0.928	acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001

And from System Profiler:

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location:	Expansion Slot
   Host Controller Driver:	AppleUSBEHCI
   PCI Device ID:	0x3104
   PCI Revision ID:	0x0086
   PCI Vendor ID:	0x1106
   Bus Number:	0x90

Hi! I'm going to test your drivers dmdimoff

I have a question about bios config... Do I have to set BIOS legacy USB support as enabled or disabled?

Do I need to set another configs on BIOS about USB?

Currently I have a strange problem. My pendrive is detected but all the time the os x alerts me with this message: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". Os X recognizes pc formatted pendrives so that's the reasson I think the problem are the extensions.

Anyway, I'm going to test with this drivers and post the results when I have something.

Thanks!

2 dgan - try legacy both ways. and honestly i don't believe that you have driver problems. Try format your pen drive from macos, see what'll happen

2 sg on some boards with quirky BIOSes macos can't get control over USB with vanilla drivers.

Looks like OK!

Not really. :D

I could not use my USB keyboard. (It's not detected)

Also, if I plug my devices (thumbdrive/external hard drive), they don't get detected at all.

So I restored my IOUSBFamily.kext from the Kalyway install disc and just used the Generic EHCI driver from orByte.

I have read somewhere that in order for my usb devices to be detected properly, I have to stick in it before booting/power on. It worked. I am now able to hotplug my usb devices.

I hoped that your driver would have done it, but thanks anyways. :P

@dmdimoff

I noticed that in the zipped file you provided, there are tons of kext files in them.

Among them is "IOUSBFamily.kext"

Now my question is, do I copy all of these kext files into /System/Library/Extensions or just IOUSBFamily.kext?

I'm quite confused because I thought the kext files in your zipped file should be copied to /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

Thanks dmdimoff, you're right! I was able to found another pendrive and it works perfect, even formatted as a windows (fat16) pendrive. So the problem is not the formatting, is my pendrive!

Still, should you recommend me to update my drivers with yours?

2 mhacleth - there are 2 ways - you can copy all exept IOUSBFamily, logger kext and prober app to /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

or take a look inside original IOUSBFamily and add additional plugin kexts from there into my IOUSBFamily - they are unmodified

2 dgan - if it works, don't touch it

can you mount devices from disk utility? what filesystem on them? have you ever mounted them successfully under macos?

do you using simple keyboard or some model with usb hub/media control in it?

can you see keyboard in system profiler?

what happens when you unplug and than plug them in?

basically if you can correctly see device in system profiler its ok with drivers

Hi dmdimoff,

Yes, I think if System profiler sees them, they should be mounted, too. But that's what makes me wonder. They don't.

I can mount those devices no problem in my macbook, running leopard, too.

I can also mount those devices using the Generic USB EHCI driver from orbyte. So, this is a complete mystery to me.

My keyboard is just a simple A4Tech USB keyboard. It's not even detected at all even at System Profiler. So I revert to my PS/2 just to fix things up. Again, this keyboard works under the same driver above.

Anyways, thanks for all your help. It is very much appreciated.

hello,

I have been reading for some time now and have not been able to fix my USB issues. I would really like to get these things fixed before the year is over, LOL, would be nice!

So I have matching system kext so from the get go this is not the problem.

No legacy option is bios either.

I did finnally notice that if I plug my iphone and my usb mouse prior to booting it will mount but as soon as I unplug them they are no longer recognized if plugged back in.

Can you write up some guide on how to install these files because I am really lost once I have the files downloaded.

Thanks a bunch.

I experience the exact same thing, on both my laptop and my PC. I have tried all the kexts presented here and it is still a no go.

It is very strange, because when I boot up without any USB thumb drives or hard drives, it won't mount them in Leopard, though when I enter System Profiler I can see them there, and my USB Thumb Drive shows up with the make and model. Though when I boot up with my USB hard drive plugged in (the one which I use for Time Machine) and powered up, then I can plug in any USB storage device.

Though, USB keyboards aren't recognised, even after doing the wizard. My phone which I use to connect to the internet is not seen as connected, though Leopard saw it once, and I connected to the internet once, this was after leaving my phone plugged in for a while, and I was doing some installation, I think I was installing a kext, nothing to do with USB though, when it recognised it.

I would love to get this sorted out. It is the only problem I am having, other than that my PC is 100% compatible with Leopard.

My laptop is a Gigabyte W551N and my PC runs a GA-945GM-S2 motherboard.

- Edit

I'm running Leopard 10.5.4 from the iATKOS_v4 release.

I have the same problem as mhacleth above.

Running 10.5.2 on a Dell Dimension E510, drive appears in system profile, doesn't mount. All drives, USB keyboard/mouse work though fine. Just gotta reinstlal PCGen everytime to get it to work and mount, very strange.