Bought the Dell Inspiron E1505, need help

140 posts in this topic

Well im going to disagree with that.

My current install with the goatsecx disk was on dual core, and i run it on dual core. However I cannot run it in normal boot mode, I have to boot in safe mode (-x)

So in that regard you can use dual (unless safe mode only lets it use one processor...havnet really figured out how safe boot is differen)

I just got me (really a graduation present for my brother)a fully-loaded E1405 ($750 off 1999, what a deal!)

It seems as if Dell 1390 wireless has been phased out on the e1x05 line, but cards could still be found on eBay. Which version of it should be bought though: the MiniPCI version or the ExpressCard?

Also, which USB sound devices are compatible? There are a bunch of cheap ones on eBay...

I just got me (really a graduation present for my brother)a fully-loaded E1405 ($750 off 1999, what a deal!)

It seems as if Dell 1390 wireless has been phased out on the e1x05 line, but cards could still be found on eBay. Which version of it should be bought though: the MiniPCI version or the ExpressCard?

Also, which USB sound devices are compatible? There are a bunch of cheap ones on eBay...

Congrats and welcome to the club! :hysterical:

You should go for the MiniPCI Express version, since this is the new interface used in our core duo labbytops. As for the USB sound cards, i'm not really sure, but I'm under the impression that most of them are supposed to work just fine. Search for usb sound or something on the forum, and you'll get plenty of answers. =)

Have fun! ;-)

Mini-PCI will NOT fit in your 1505. I don't know what the name is but it's definitely not mini-pci.

MiniPCI is about 1.5 or 2" wider than the card that will fit internally in the 1505.

EDIT:

MiniPCI Express is what you want.

hey guys good news!

Im runing dual core now on my mac side! I reinstalled with the goatsecx dvd and the IntelGMA900 patch. Now I can boot normally (instead of safemode) and Ive got both cpus running :-) Now for sound. lol

Im trying to start to modify the existing appleHDA kext so it will work with the sigmatel 9200 chips. My qestion is how do I examine the code of the current HDA kexts that support the functioning 922x sets. The dell drivers for download support all of the 92xx family, which leads me to believe working audio is feasible. However, I need to see the code of the current kexts to try to get a sense of direction. Should I use xcode?

hey guys good news!

Im runing dual core now on my mac side! I reinstalled with the goatsecx dvd and the IntelGMA900 patch. Now I can boot normally (instead of safemode) and Ive got both cpus running :-) Now for sound. lol

Do you have graphics artifacts with core duo enabled?

How do you know that the goatsecx installation does not disable the second core in software? How do you verify that both cores are actually working?

How do you know that the goatsecx installation does not disable the second core in software? How do you verify that both cores are actually working?

mac have a equivalent of Windows task manager in apps under other folder ther u can see same as windws two bars of each core.

and for ardizzo5 u should install xcode.

The HDA kext is a binary file.. you can't open it with xcode. You can only open it with a hex editor.

I don't believe there is any free code for the HDA driver. In order for you to see the code you'd have to get it from Apple themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I feel kinda both happy and sad to report that I finally caved in and sold my E1505 and picked up a spankin' MacBook 2.0GHz instead. Just received it, got no heat or noise issues and I'm totally loving it. :D

Just got tired of all the kext fiddling and problems with the x1400 as well as the sound issues.

Well, good luck to y'all. And happy hackintoshing! :-)