Getting rid of the "Real Life," etc, forums.

67 posts in this topic

IMO it would be a good idiot filter. We should make a forum with the requirement of 3/4 stars and 1,000 posts and higher. Like that senior members can enjoy proper conversations without having JonTheSavage type flamewars. Like that we're all happy, let's keep the idiots in a ring and the intelligent people in another. It's just a bad thing when people that have a proper point prove it and the others flame you because their point was wrong. :(

I totally disagree. Postcount should have nothing to do with it or atleast be very very low (<50). Measures like yours will encourage people to post as much as they can, and many topics are totally unreadable because of all the garbage already.

There should be a one hour ban for every first I'm downloading blablabla post. Two hours for the second etc.

Measures like yours will encourage people to post as much as they can, and many topics are totally unreadable because of all the garbage already.

Don't worry, people have already been doing that for years. They believe that a high post count makes them "very important".

But at the end of the day it is only the owners who are "very important", and rightly so.

I agree that post count is not the best way to measure how knowledgable someone is and there will be those who have high post counts and add little to the technical aspect of the community. At the same time, since this site isn't only about being a uber-geek, if they are adding to the general sense of community, why discourage? Most people are smart enough to figure out who is real and who is a poser after reading a couple of threads. I may read the technical discussions but not be enough of a programmer to add something more than what has already been said, doesn't mean I don't want someplace I could interact with other members. The site might actually be cleaner if all non-tangent discussions were directed to the real life area, since there does seem to be a bluring of the line in multiple threads.

just my 0.02 cents...

I know that SMF has a feature where you get to add "Karma" points which basically represent what the community thinks of you. You can add and remove those points. Why don't we add a similar system in this IPB board, as there are many plugins of this type? Then make a 100 point forum and let only those with the appropriate points in. :D

I know that SMF has a feature where you get to add "Karma" points which basically represent what the community thinks of you. You can add and remove those points. Why don't we add a similar system in this IPB board, as there are many plugins of this type? Then make a 100 point forum and let only those with the appropriate points in. :D

Karma in forums is cool, but is an exclusive sub forum something we really want/need?

Yeah, we do need an idiot filter.

The problem I see with this approach is that users are going to be voted by idiots as well. So in the end we can't be sure that people with the highest karma are the best. I see this happening at OSNews (they don't call it karma, they call it "Average Comment Score", but the principle is very much the same).

I'm not too fond of plugins as they always cause a performance hit (however slight), and add one more place where something can go wrong. I think the rating system that is in place right now is more that adequate (other than I don't think that many people use it).