Getting rid of the "Real Life," etc, forums.

67 posts in this topic

So I was bored and decided I would take a stroll into the Real Life forum…

Quite pathetic if I do say so myself. It's not so much a collection of debates as a chronicle of monkeys throwing their {censored} at each other, and waiting for it to be thrown back.

It contributes nothing to the site and just attracts and breeds flame wars.

And yes, I do realise "I don't have to read it if I don't want to," but I think it will generally benefit the site and lessen the work of the moderators (if that forum is even moderated, sometimes I wonder).

This is a computer related site. I'm sure the "Random" section will suffice for anything that's acceptable enough to get through to it. From what I see, 10% of what's in that forum could be considered to be acceptable. And even at that, there's a 90% chance there's a flame war going on within the topic.

I say leave it around, some really good discussions have taken place there in the past.

I say leave it but separate it somehow.

My issue has always been that (unless I'm missing it), the site forum software doesn't allow a way to decide which forums to view.

First and foremost this site is about OSx86/Mac discussions, so when you connect and hit View New Posts and you see more posts about non-OS X threads and foreign (to me) languages, it makes it inconvenient.

I say leave it but separate it somehow.

Agree, why don't we just remove post counts in Real Life and the Thunderdome. Do the same thing that we did with the Website Invitation Exchange.

why don't we just remove post counts in Real Life and the Thunderdome. Do the same thing that we did with the Website Invitation Exchange.

I have nothing against it. Wherever I post, I don't do it in order to increase my post count.

It contributes nothing to the site and just attracts and breeds flame wars.

--------------------------------------------------

This is a computer related site. I'm sure the "Random" section will suffice for anything that's acceptable enough to get through to it. From what I see, 10% of what's in that forum could be considered to be acceptable. And even at that, there's a 90% chance there's a flame war going on within the topic.

Did you read the title (I suppose it was created by Swad):

"The place for politics, sports, philosophy, religion, and all the things that probably matter most."

Most forums have a section like that. And the ones which don't often don't have a sense of community.

In any case give me the Real Life forum any day, rather than the people who come here only when there is a new release, post once or twice and their posts sound like "I am at 90.1%" "And I am at 90.3%"

Read threads like this (if you can stomach them):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...16163&st=60

I think this one is worse:

It has a sata drive that is the ony problem that I see, but there is a good chance that it is using an intel mobo, I would say that it will work fine,

I feel it nearing, My heart races, My macshiba waits for me to slide it in, The feeling of a new os, makes her throb, I hope it is compatible.

Ok, im bored, Just waiting for it to finish so I can let it seed while i play with it :wacko:

:) I think maybe unplugging your PC and going for a walk would be a good idea at this point. Anyway, I think the real life forums, although a little rough at times, give people a chance to learn and debate about what going on in the world around them. Hell, it's probably the only connection to the outside world for some people...

Dump it.

No one listens. No one learns. Discussions there are a waste of time. The folks who waste their time in that forum are ..... well .....err....... hmm .......... how do I say this nicely ? - Just want to argue.

Really - dump it, hide it, whatever. PLEASE.

The ghetto has a better community than this place.

That is your very personal opinion. I have made good friends with some people here (admittedly there are also people who don't like me very much, but I don't try to please everybody).

Don't get me wrong, I am not so naive to believe that online friends are comparable in any way to real life friends. But it is all part of the game (spending time on the web).

Let it be, just make that no post counts are increased.

As I already said, go ahead, I don't care. But then I am also convinced that people who post in Real Life don't care about their post count. It has been very often topics in Random Stuff which have attracted people who had absolutely nothing to say.

This was one of the worst examples:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=25496&hl=

And this one isn't much better:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=100979

So if anything, it is against such topics that you should complain.

That is your very personal opinion. I have made good friends with some people here (admittedly there are also people who don't like me very much, but I don't try to please everybody).

Don't get me wrong, I am not so naive to believe that online friends are comparable in any way to real life friends. But it is all part of spending time on the web.

That's true, but Alessandro is right about the community part. If we remove those threads this place will probably get boring and overcrowded with people who think that they are the "1337 uber haxors" when all they do is follow someone elses guide. This place needs some looking after.

You know, when this place first started, there was a wonderful sense of community and an almost family feel. It's now that we're bigger that this sense of family and togetherness is just...gone.

Well I have really no experience from when "this place started", but i for sure haven't experienced any family feel.

But IMHO topics like the ones in Thunderdome/Real Life that make people know each other better. They are about the users, not about iATKOS nor ALC888/GeForce9600GT.

My take: let the subforums be and get more mods and supervision and it should be just fine. And as it was earlier in this topic pointed out, the usefulness of the posts are not depending on the subforum/topic (and we should leave no place for those like "96.7%. download stuck" since we would encourage other newbies to submit such posts).

Tighten up the control a little bit and zap the irrelevant/stupid/no-one-cares posts and we should be able to see real magic. :angel:

Meh.. you can strike me down for saying this, i really dont care..

but this place really used to feel like a community/family up until the OSx86 Project -> InsanelyMac switch. Once it switched over, it just began to feel more and more corporate until it eventually lost that old "family" or w/e feeling it once had.. back in the days when this place was blue, silver, and white, Mashugly was "the man", deadmoo was badass, and only us lucky ones with GMA900 had supported gfx... now we're just a place for users to rant/rave about their problems, hardware, software, etc... that whole feeling/atmosphere is just gone... I really miss the old days.. :)