Windows Vista is fine

WinMacLin

98 posts in this topic

i still say vista kinda sux, and i actually kno how to use the vista bootloader on XP without installing vista which is nice :) . but hey, ppl r entitled to ther opinions, as am i. that simple.

btw...

if anyone can find the drivers for ICH8M that will fit on a floppy drive (in other words, .ini files, etc...) that would be awesome caus i would luv to run xp again

I guarantee you have had a BSOD. Vista Business, Ultimate and Enterprise all crashed 3 times before the install finished. My friend has had 6 BSODs in the first 3 weeks of owning her Dell (SP1 helped). The other day, a 50MB Vista update required a restart to add 5 words to the dictionary! There are many, many, many documented problems with Vista all over the internet. SP1 is improving matters but it is still terrible code. Certainly isn't 6 years worth of development worth. 2008 on the other hand is excellent!.

As for you thinking people have an agenda when they say Vista is ****ing terrible.... whatever, think what you want.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with loving Vista (a triillion flies love excrement too but that doesn't mean I'll be all over it :thumbsdown_anim: ).

I'm just saying that it could and should be a much better system considering the company's resources.

As much as I do enjoy Vista, this is completely true about Vista and Microsoft.

So far, no BSODs for me though.

RAM:

Vista uses RAM depending on how much you have and how much you need for programs running. On my machine with 1GB of RAM Home Premium uses about 256MB of RAM when it is the only thing running and 400MB with Photoshop CS3 and Safari 4 running, each running at over 150MB. It loosens up RAM as it is needed. When you have alot of RAM, however, you do not notice this because the RAM is hardly ever used up. For example, Vista Home Premium always uses about 700MB for itself on my new laptop with 2GB of RAM, since I rarely get close to using that much.

Security:

Vista is the most secure operating system there is. I have never gotten any kind of malware on it (and I spend alot of time on shady sites), and while some people find UAC annoying (I do) it is a great thing to have when you need a secure/business environment.

At least you can disable Vista's UAC easily, unlike in OS X and Linux.

The built-in firewall is nice as well.

Speed:

Vista is faster than XP, and when it comes to graphic design it beats OS X. I compared CS3 on my notebook to CS3 on my cousin's black MacBook, which has higher specs than mine, and Vista accomplished things faster.

Stability:

Vista has never crashed or givin me a BSOD in the year and a half that I have been using it. Programs have froze up a few times, but at least Vista ends the task immediately rather than waiting for it to respond and end like XP.

Compatibility:

Every program that doesn't rely on something XP-specific has ran perfectly for me. The only exception to this is old games like Diablo.

x86 emulation on the x64 version is damn-near flawless.

When I reinstalled Vista on my new Toshiba A215 I had to search for the drivers. It worked out of the box with my Toshiba M15.

That's my take on Windows Vista Home Premium, anyways. OS X has a much better GUI though, which is why I am getting a MacBook Pro.

until the last line I suspected Dillon of 'astroturfing' :(

the reason people say Vista needs a lot of RAM is because... well... it does! By that I dont mean what it uses, we've all read the developers quotes saying that RAM should be treated as cache, I mean Vista outright requires a lot more RAM than XP, OS X or Linux to do exactly the same tasks.

have you vLited your Vista? I guarantee you it isn't faster than XP or OS X on equal hardware. In my tests, Leopard is the fastest OS on my Macbook (aside from Fluxbuntu, but that doesn't really fit into this debate :-p), followed by Tiger, then XP, and then Vista in a very low last place.

there is simply no way Vista is faster. videos or it didn't happen....

I am just going to state what I think.

Windows Vista is a OK OS, it has nothing really special about it from XP for me.

I ran Windows Vista for 6 months (Home Premium first 2, then switched to Ultimate), and I had little to no problem with it. I think that the main reason people hated on vista is because nobody wanted to develop the new drivers needed for windows vista, so people owning a product from someone that has not released drivers are really going to hate on the OS and the manufacturer. I also agree with people that Aero is bloated and DWM (Dekstop Window Manager, mainly tasks the Vid Card, but if your Vid Card is Midline, it starts to rely on RAM) is not needed. I personally now use windows XP because I get better speed out of it, for people that are just doing every day things, they can use vista (Or OSX86 </plug>).

until the last line I suspected Dillon of 'astroturfing' ;)

the reason people say Vista needs a lot of RAM is because... well... it does! By that I dont mean what it uses, we've all read the developers quotes saying that RAM should be treated as cache, I mean Vista outright requires a lot more RAM than XP, OS X or Linux to do exactly the same tasks.

have you vLited your Vista? I guarantee you it isn't faster than XP or OS X on equal hardware. In my tests, Leopard is the fastest OS on my Macbook (aside from Fluxbuntu, but that doesn't really fit into this debate :-p), followed by Tiger, then XP, and then Vista in a very low last place.

there is simply no way Vista is faster. videos or it didn't happen....

I can guarantee you it is faster than XP on equal software, in terms of both booting and launching applications. I have a fresh install of both on my '05 M15 and my '07 A215.

As stated, the my hardware (1.8GHz AMD 64x2, 2GB RAM, 128MB Radeon x1600) was worse in comparison to my cousin's MacBook (2.4GHz Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, 144MB Intel GMA X3100) rather than "equal". She also has keys falling off of it and cracks magically appearing here and there, and it's not neglected.

No I haven't vLited Vista. I have, however, disabled most things I don't have a need for like Defender, the firewall (AVG instead), UAC, automatic updates, the sidebar (I use Konfabulator), and other things. Aero is enabled on my newer PC (and has little to no effect on performance), but the integrated graphics on my M15 can't handle it so I use the Basic theme.

for people that are just doing every day things, they can use vista

I'm a digital artist / graphic designer and I still find Vista much better than XP. :D

Oh, and I've been a Macintosh user since System 7 btw. Just throwing that out there.

Vista doesn't have trialware. :D

True, provided it is an original copy from Microsoft.

About 80% (or some BS number) of the mass-produced pre-built systems (Dell, HP, etc) have trialware on their copies of Vista.

So, if you're a grandma or technically incapable, chances are you're not going to build your own system and buy a clean copy of Vista on Amazon...

So therefore, it is reasonable to say that most computers running Vista have trialware.

I can guarantee you it is faster than XP on equal software, in terms of both booting and launching applications. I have a fresh install of both on my '05 M15 and my '07 A215.

As stated, the my hardware (1.8GHz AMD 64x2, 2GB RAM, 128MB Radeon x1600) was worse in comparison to my cousin's MacBook (2.4GHz Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, 144MB Intel GMA X3100) rather than "equal". She also has keys falling off of it and cracks magically appearing here and there, and it's not neglected.

No I haven't vLited Vista. I have, however, disabled most things I don't have a need for like Defender, the firewall (AVG instead), UAC, automatic updates, the sidebar (I use Konfabulator), and other things. Aero is enabled on my newer PC (and has little to no effect on performance), but the integrated graphics on my M15 can't handle it so I use the Basic theme.

I'm a digital artist / graphic designer and I still find Vista much better than XP. :)

Oh, and I've been a Macintosh user since System 7 btw. Just throwing that out there.

Ummmm, then you would know your Radeon graphics card would rule over ANY Intel GMA. So I suggest you test was flawed as Photoshop uses graphics a fair bit ;)

Hey, there's nothing wrong with loving Vista (a triillion flies love excrement too but that doesn't mean I'll be all over it :P ).

I'm just saying that it could and should be a much better system considering the company's resources.

I agree in a way, but I would say that the resources are both a flaw and an advantage for Microsoft. I think the problem is they have so many coders working on things that there is a wide diversity in how different parts are programmed or modified and thus things start becoming a mess, if you look at some parts of Vista i.e Internet Explorer and then look at say the main explorer, there are similarities but also a lot of differences, kinda like the programming teams just separate, do their own thing then bring it all back together, compile it and call it Windows Vista.

I mean, Vista is a good operating system and all, I'd say it's an improvement on XP, but they just don't have the same fluid interface as in OS X where every program shares the same interface style, Vista is a huge coded mess.

About 80% (or some BS number) of the mass-produced pre-built systems (Dell, HP, etc) have trialware on their copies of Vista.

So, if you're a grandma or technically incapable, chances are you're not going to build your own system and buy a clean copy of Vista on Amazon...

So therefore, it is reasonable to say that most computers running Vista have trialware.

Trialware is very annoying...D:

I have, however, disabled most things I don't have a need for like Defender, the firewall (AVG instead), UAC, automatic updates,

:P With any Windows OS automatic updates are needed (and any OS in general). The Windows Vista of today is more secure than a fresh SP1 install, and way more secure than an RTM install.

Most vendors provide both a system restore and an Anytime Upgrade CD. The Anytime Upgrade disk can be used as a retail Vista disc.

Ummmm, then you would know your Radeon graphics card would rule over ANY Intel GMA. So I suggest you test was flawed as Photoshop uses graphics a fair bit :)

Photoshop doesn't rely on a powerful graphics card, but more or less a powerful processor.

With any Windows OS automatic updates are needed (and any OS in general). The Windows Vista of today is more secure than a fresh SP1 install, and way more secure than an RTM install.

Sorry, my mistake. I just cut it off whenever it starts.

Sorry, my mistake. I just cut it off whenever it starts.

Thats a really, really bad practice.

Those updates aren't bloat, they fix security holes and improve compatibility and stability.

Don't stop the update process...D:

Erei, your avatar is shiny. ;)

Really, the only things I have for my computer...

Vista x64 obviously.

Drivers for mobo

Drviers for ATI+catalyst control

Basic Vista firewall

Drivers for sound

And that's it. I don't need virus protection, or defender. I have Defender disabled, and AVG, but I don't turn on AVG unless I suspect something being a virus.

Many people I know who blast Vista fall under one of these:

- Never used it, and only know about it by screenshots and hearsay

- Tried forcing it on inadequate hardware (maybe on purpose just to have a reason to complain)

- Got one UAC prompt and concluded that Vista will pop up UAC for every single thing they do

- Hate MIKKKRO$$$$$$$HAFT!!!!

Everyone else I know who has tried it, likes it.

Many people I know who blast Vista fall under one of these:

- Never used it, and only know about it by screenshots and hearsay

- Tried forcing it on inadequate hardware (maybe on purpose just to have a reason to complain)

- Got one UAC prompt and concluded that Vista will pop up UAC for every single thing they do

- Hate MIKKKRO$$$$HAFT!!!!

Everyone else I know who has tried it, likes it.

Ok, but you forgot to tell us that you only have one friend and the other person is your sister! :)