Retail install guide for GA-P35-DS4 with chameleon EFI

tseug

303 posts in this topic

I having firewire errors with my DS4 ver 2.1

Can anyone check your System.log to see if you have any errors with Firewire.

I am stiil geting ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

has anyone got a fix. Try firewire kexts from 10.4.8/9 and they work great, but lost sleep :turbin:

Anyone help

Thanks

Yeah, that won't work.

As Dewdman says, cd to the correct directory first. In your case, that would be

cd ~/Desktop/LEO_GA_P35_DS4_PACK_v12 <ENTER>
./post-patch.sh osx86HD <ENTER>

Hope that helps...

SUCCESS! That was the ticket. Thank you very much tseug and Dewdman42 for helping me trouble shoot my system :( I have learned so much.

Hi again.

Now, I followed the instructions word by word. Installed 10.5.4, rebooted with the CD installed the DS4 pack, the efi strings and chameleon.

Reboot, but then it shows the grey apple, and after a time it shows a little crossed circle and does not continue.

EDIT: I have been running the script correctly, dsmos.kext was in the extensions folder, and so on. It does boot with the boo-132 CD. Sound, gfx, ethernet work. It's just not booting. I'll try a -v boot.

Do you think it may be because there is an incompatibility between, the drivers for P35-ds4 and ep35-ds4?

When I tried to reboot my VISTA drive it also gave me an error, saying jraid.sys couldnt be checked for a digital signature.

EDIT: Fixed that with the repair console. :o

Strange things happening to my system there...

EDIT I'm getting a "still waiting for root device error" when I try to boot from Hdd, booting with the CD does work though....

Well, I redid the installation process, formatted the Leopard HDD to GUID, followed the whole procedure described in the first post word by word. DS4-Pack installation went well, EFI went well, Chameleon installed.

But I'm still getting a "waiting for root device" error when booting up.

Booting through "boot-132" CD works though, and gfx, sound, ethernet also work.

This is desperate.

EDIT: Wow, and now my VISTA installation gives me a blue-screen when booting up.

EDIT2: Ok, changed a few Bios settings, (AHCI Raid), I was in belief, all I needed was AHCI instead of IDE.

Anyway, thanks for the instructions.

My VISTA installation is still messed up though. I dont know why...

Ah, well, I'll just install XP for Gaming... HAve a nice day :(

Well, I redid the installation process, formatted the Leopard HDD to GUID, followed the whole procedure described in the first post word by word. DS4-Pack installation went well, EFI went well, Chameleon installed.

But I'm still getting a "waiting for root device" error when booting up.

Booting through "boot-132" CD works though, and gfx, sound, ethernet also work.

This is desperate.

EDIT: Wow, and now my VISTA installation gives me a blue-screen when booting up.

EDIT2: Ok, changed a few Bios settings, (AHCI Raid), I was in belief, all I needed was AHCI instead of IDE.

You're using RAID? Well, that explains why Vista blows up. RAID is possible but beyond the scope of this guide.

Vista (or any other OS) will get fairly confused if you put another OS on one of its RAID disks. ;)

No, no, no, I dont use Raid. It's just a bios setting, that says something about Raid, with AHCI, it's not RAID as such.

I think I'll just have to reinstall VISTA or XP on that drive.

VISTA is beyond repair now.

I just dont understand how installing OSX on a seperate sata drive could have messed up the VISTA installation.

Anyway, OSX works, thats what is important, isnt it...

No, no, no, I dont use Raid. It's just a bios setting, that says something about Raid, with AHCI, it's not RAID as such.

I think I'll just have to reinstall VISTA or XP on that drive.

VISTA is beyond repair now.

I just dont understand how installing OSX on a seperate sata drive could have messed up the VISTA installation.

Anyway, OSX works, thats what is important, isnt it...

I have Vista on another drive and I have installed several times without issue. The only thing I can think of is, that if the Vista boot loader is on the drive you installed OS X on then it could be problematic. If you change boot order in order to boot Vista, then I can't think of any reason why it would mess it up.

OK, I finished the installer. That means that this guide is certified Terminal Free (OK, maybe not certified)! :hysterical:

I believe this is the first retail guide to not require a terminal, but I'm sure others will follow if they haven't already.

Guide updated.

I feel kinda stupid right now, but

the ony reason VISTA didnt boot up was, because of the AHCI settings in bios....

All I need to do right now is to find the proper ahci driver for Vista.

Sorry for wasting your time.. XD

EDIT: Thanks for the guide though. I wouldnt have tried it without that guide...

There are AHCI windows drivers on the disc that cam with the mobo...and more from the gigabyte website. that is what you need to install. I think it means turn off ACHI mode in BIOS so that you can boot VISTA, then install the new driver, then reboot and switch BIOS back to AHCI mode.

There are AHCI windows drivers on the disc that cam with the mobo...and more from the gigabyte website. that is what you need to install. I think it means turn off ACHI mode in BIOS so that you can boot VISTA, then install the new driver, then reboot and switch BIOS back to AHCI mode.

Yes, Installed those drivers. But most important is also this registry change. klickme

Everything works just fine now. All I need is to find a way to dual boot, without always having to go through the Bios to change the first hard-drive.

Yes, Installed those drivers. But most important is also this registry change. klickme

Everything works just fine now. All I need is to find a way to dual boot, without always having to go through the Bios to change the first hard-drive.

Grub works well with Chameleon. I'm sure there's a guide somewhere.

Grub works well with Chameleon. I'm sure there's a guide somewhere.

Thanks for the advice.

I have Guid on one drive and mbr on the other.. that hinders the chain0 trick.

I'll see if Grub works.

EDIT: One last question, did you do something special to make sleep work?

Mine doesnt wake up, when I put it to sleep..

tseug, you are my hero. I failed the other day when I tried to use your original walkthrough. The most recently updated version finally worked for me. My final problems are getting my Linksys wmp300n wireless adapter and the audio to work. I will look into these issues after I finish backing up the currently working install. Thank you very much.

Thanks for the advice.

I have Guid on one drive and mbr on the other.. that hinders the chain0 trick.

I'll see if Grub works.

Actually, this might be why I can't boot up Vista with grub on the GPT volume. On the other hand, I've been messing with the installation quite a bit so that might be the reason.

EDIT: One last question, did you do something special to make sleep work?

Mine doesnt wake up, when I put it to sleep..

No. Sleep just work on GA-P35-DS4. At least with this setup.

tseug, you are my hero. I failed the other day when I tried to use your original walkthrough. The most recently updated version finally worked for me. My final problems are getting my Linksys wmp300n wireless adapter and the audio to work. I will look into these issues after I finish backing up the currently working install. Thank you very much.

You're very welcome. Make sure that audio is set to the right output. Sound should work with GA-P35-DS4 .

Has anyone got Firewire errors with GA-EP35-DS4 rev 2.1

No, I use the front panel Firewire plug, and it works just like it should. My iPod just synced with the imported iTunes library. ;)

Firewire says something about full security when booting up in -v mode. But it still works like it should.

@tseug: The only things I can think of is the bios Version or the 8800GT for the "sleep" problem.

If I ever come around a solution, I will post it here. Maybe others have the same problem.

EDIT2: Just reverted to the F2 Bios. (Was on F3) But sleep still doesnt work. When I wake it with the power button, the disks and the fans spin up, but the screen stays totally black.

many thanks to tsaug and dewdman42 as i just got my DS4 based system up an running with this guide within an hour.

does anyone know how to fix the panic on shutdown problem yet for the ds4?

If you have run the post install patch, that should have fixed any shutdown/restart problems.

I wish I could get it to wake from sleep.

I tried everything. I just went and installed the latest EP35-DS4 bios, F5, but that didnt change a thing.

I think it could very well be related to my gfx card, because I can hear it's fan spinning up faster than normally. And the screen stays black.

My gfx card is a NX8800GT zilent with 512 mb Ram. Did anyone maybe experience similar issues with 8800GTs?

If you have run the post install patch, that should have fixed any shutdown/restart problems.

I wish I could get it to wake from sleep.

I tried everything. I just went and installed the latest EP35-DS4 bios, F5, but that didnt change a thing.

I think it could very well be related to my gfx card, because I can hear it's fan spinning up faster than normally. And the screen stays black.

My gfx card is a NX8800GT zilent with 512 mb Ram. Did anyone maybe experience similar issues with 8800GTs?

I have a 8800 GT that works without issue. I think it much more likely that it's because of differences between the motherboards. Note that the script and the installer do the same thing, so if something doesn't work with one, it's unlikely to work with the other (unless you did something wrong).

many thanks to tsaug and dewdman42 as i just got my DS4 based system up an running with this guide within an hour.

does anyone know how to fix the panic on shutdown problem yet for the ds4?

I have no such problem?

Thanks again for this great guide. I used the kext installer package this time and it worked like a charm. :lol:

The only issue that I have noticed is that when I click on "About This Mac", it is not reading my processor correctly. Also, on System Profiler it lists me as an iMac. Anyone one else having this issue? Is there a way to change this?

Many Thanks

Edit: I found these threads for changing About This Mac. Works perfect.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=98775

Edit: I also plan on overclocking. Any advice before I jump in?

i have run the extension pack installer not ls8's postscript. (now that ive run one i cant run the other) Afterwhich i then added display and ethernet strings using EFI studio as the guide indicates.

When i tried to add AZAL it wouldnt let me saying my system had none.

what is AZAL anyway?

What is it in the postcript patch that deals with these shutdown issues?

Wow. Fantastic guide! Took me two attempts to get it running (stuffed up the post patch script first go, even though I've done it plenty of times before), but it's running solid as a rock right now!

If there's one change that I would suggest, it's that you should point out that the installer pack is essentially a simplified version of LS8's extentions script. I had no idea what the installer was, what it contained or where it came from, so I opted for the script instead. But the installer is so much simpler and easier! You should make sure you promote it more!!!!

One quick question that I hope you guys might be able to answer (I asked in LS8's thread but no-one replied - pls excuse the copy and paste):

I've been thinking about picking up a set of Logitech z5500's recently and I just want to know if I'll be able to get 5.1 surround via the optical/coaxial digital outs on the DS4? I've searched high and low (which isn't easy on this site - even using Google) and I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Will I just be limited to 2 channels or will I get 5.1 digital out? If so, what kexts/patches/whatever will I need to get it working?

My apologies if this has been answered before, but I just can't find it here (and I'm about to tear my hair out in frustration)... I'd like to find out before I hand over my precious $300!