Retail install guide for GA-P35-DS4 with chameleon EFI

tseug

303 posts in this topic

How to install using a retail DVD without an already working OS X installation:

This is a repackaged version of LS8's excellent kext pack for GA-P35-DS4 and other related motherboards. The main reason for the repackaging is to enable installation without the use of a terminal. The current version is based on LS8v17 and basically does the same thing.

However, the essentials installer generates a DSDT.aml and modifies power settings as well to enable sleep. Note that the installers use /var/log/install.log for logging and that kexts are not backed up in /vanilla - we assume you use a more robust mechanism for backup anyway (For Time Machine hints, see below).

This has been tested on a GA-P35-DS4 motherboard (rev 1.0) with the F14 BIOS, Q6600 Quad Core 2.4@3.2 GHz (G0 stepping), Nividia 8800GT 512 MB, 2 GB RAM, SATA hard drive, SATA DVD drive and an Apple USB keyboard. The retail DVD version was 10.5.1 and the Chameleon Boot Loader version tested was 2.0-r640. Install time: approximately 1 hour

Prerequisites:

* An empty hard drive

* A blank CD

* A retail Leopard DVD

* The 10.5.8 combo update (Get it here)

* Chameleon Installer 2.0. Get it at chameleon.osx86.hu. At the time of writing, the file in question is called Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg.zip

* BOOT-132 GA-P35-DS4_ISO (Get it here)

* EFIStudio (Get it here)

* The GA-P35-DS4 Essentials Installer (Get it here)

* The GA-P35-DS4 Fixes Installer (Get it here)

* USB pen drive (optional)

Known issues

* Automatic sleep after a period of inactivity may not work

Before you begin:

1) Burn the GA-P35-DS4_ISO using your favorite ISO burning software.

2) Unpack and transfer the rest of the software to the USB Drive. Alternatively, you can download it after installing OS X.

3) In BIOS, set your destination drive as your first boot drive. Also make sure that you're using AHCI and Azalia (Integrated Peripherals -> Azalia Codec set to Auto). For more details and screenshots of the BIOS settings go here.

Install Leopard:

1) Insert your newly burned CD into your drive, reboot and press F12 during POST, and choose CD-ROM as bootup device.

2) Once you get a prompt, exchange the CD with your Mac OS X retail DVD, wait a few seconds and press enter twice. You should now boot into the OS X installation.

3) Click Utilities -> Disk Utility and create a new partition on your target hard drive. Make sure to use the GUID scheme (Check Options...). You can call it whatever you like, we'll refer to it as Retail for the rest of this guide.

4) Quit Disk Utility and install OS X on Retail. Grab a cup of coffee...

5) When the installer is done it will probably tell you that installation failed, because the installer could not set your target partition as startup drive. Just ignore that and click Restart. You need to exchange your OS X DVD with the burned CD before continuing.

6) Boot the CD by pressing F12 at POST again. This time, press enter once, and then enter 80 to boot into your new OS X installation. Fill out the various forms. If you do not wish to register with Apple you can press cmd+Q when prompted for your Apple ID.

7) Install Chameleon 2.0

8) Check that the /Extra directory contains a file called Extensions.mkext. If not, wait 30 seconds and install Chameleon 2.0 again. Repeat until Extensions.mkext appear.

9) Install GA-P35-DS4 Essentials

10) Eject CD

11) Restart

Upgrade Leopard::

You should now be rebooting into the Chameleon boot loader. Press -v and boot into your OS X partition. This will (hopefully) give you a chance to monitor what is happening in the install process.

1) Once you've booted into OS X, install the 10.5.8 Combo update

2) Restart (Just restart manually at MACH Reboot if automatic restart does not work)

3) The upgrade will probably require you to restart once more.

Final Touches:

You should now be running a Vanilla 10.5.8. Now it needs to be customized slightly.

1) Kernel extensions: Run the GA-P35-DS4 Fixes installer.

2) EFIStudio: add Display and Ethernet, and then click "write to com.apple.Boot.plist" after you've added the last one

3) Copy /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to /Extra/

4) Restart

That's it! You're done.

---

Upgrading from a previous install:

1) Install Chameleon 2.0 RC2

2) Install GA-P35-DS4 Essentials

3) Restart

4) Install Combo update

5) Restart (two times)

6) Install GA-P35-DS4 Fixes

7) Restart

---

Full system restore

In order to use Time Machine you need a separate partition for backup purposes. It is advisable to use a different hard drive than your primary installation. For a full system restore, just use the CD to boot into the Retail DVD, and do the appropriate steps. If you have to recreate a target partition, you might need to restart in order for the Installation DVD to see your new partition. The system restore will not restore the boot loader, so you'll need to boot into the restored partition using the CD, and then reinstall the boot loader using the installer.

Edited by tseug

whats the advantage or disadvantage doing the install this way compared to just using ls8 scripts? assuming i dont care about having osx already installed, etc. PC_EFI8 vs Chameleon?

I have used this guide and it worked PERFECTLY! I can't believe I am now using almost entirely vanilla 10.5.4 installation and its performing great so far. here are my benchmark scores, both better than with Kalyway 10.5.2:

Geekbench - 7331

XBench = 223

Thanks again...I am so happy right now...

I have some observations and questions that hopefully someone can answer to clarify osx86 setup for me forever..

1 - I think it would be good if you list out the exact BIOS settings that the DS4 should be set at, if there are particular settings that need to be a certain way. I didn't change anything and my settings work, because I have had to mess with those in the past when trying to use Kalyway, etc.. Let me know if you want to know how I have the BIOS set, but ls8 probably knows better.

2 - The 10.5.4 downloadable combo update you referred to would not work for me. It kept giving me the error that my Retail volume was not suitable to be upgraded. I tried rebooting, etc. However, I finally took a chance on using Apple's online software update to go to 10.5.4 and it worked perfectly. That was done before running the post-patch script or installing chameleon. I'm not sure what will happen now that I have Chameleon installed.

3 - I think you should update the post-patch.sh, there should be a check in the beginning of the script to make sure that $1 has been provided. I missed that and fortunately the script didn't do any damage other than display jiberish. You should probably update your guide to make it more clear that there is an argument; by putting the actual command line onto its own line.

4 - that new EFI boot disc concept is AWESOME. I was going to ask how I can add my own kexts to it as I have seen people talking about that, but it seems to work fine this way to get the install working. Whatever is on that iso works perfectly.

---------------

QUESTIONS

---------------

5 - In the future, will I be able to run the Apple updater completely with no concerns about the PowerManagement kext or the little script we have to edit out Apple's Don't Steal line? I never understood exactly how that works exactly or why a retail install would not have to worry about this. It certainly worked when I ran the updater prior to installing Chameleon, but what about now that I'm using EFI emulation?

6 - I guess Sleep/Shutdown issues are working perfectly now? Is there any reason at all that I would want to use modbin or any of the other hacked kernels? I guess not. YAY :-)

7 - I am using GeForce 8600GT 256mb. I used the EFI string for it. Is working now full resolution and seems like smooth graphics, but I do detect a little bit that the fonts and lines seem not as clear in some way compared to previously with NVinject. This must be because there is some generic video driver being used in conjunction with the EFI string. yes? Do you know if I would want to install the Nvidia driver for macBooks that was released a while back? Is that likely to give me better performance or will it screw up the EFI string operation or what? I don't really understand exactly what the EFI strings do or how they work, still learning. Should I even try to mess around with NVinject or NVKush instead of EFI strings to compare?

8 - I notice that the post-patch script did a couple things. It removed the PowerManagement kext and then replaced several Apple kexts with some kind of hacked versions (AppleACPIPlatform, AppleHDA, AppleSMBIOS, IOAHCIFamily, JMicronATA). This post script was ran after the 10.5.4 update. I take it that I should run this script again any time I run an apple update to make sure I have the hacked kexts and the PowerManagement is removed again?

9 - Do you know where I can find any more information about how to update the AppleSMBIOS with something that will be more correct for my particular memory, etc.? Is it pretty safe to use other SMBIOS from people with this vanilla install? Does it even matter?

10 - There are several utilities floating around for updating the About This Mac information, is it ok to edit that for vanilla or will it screw anything up? I notice that my hack has been identified as an iMac. Is this the SMBIOS or what controls that and can I change it safely?

11 - Time Machine. I intend to use it. As far as you know, no problems? If I need to restore, I take it that I just boot from the retail DVD with the other EFI loader disc and then restore from the image, followed by boot with EFI disc in order to install chameleon, and then should be golden again? I guess it will be similar procedure if I use CCC to create an image now?

12 - Can I remove JMicron related kexts from my Extensions if I don't have any IDE devices? I am all SATA at this point. Is that needed for anything else? Everytime I boot -v I see a lot of JMicron stuff and I wonder if its not neccessary.

13 - When or why might we need to use the Realtek1000 driver that was disabled from the post-patch script?

Thanks again for this wonderful guide. Its the easiest retail vanilla guide I have seen for the DS4, granted, the EFI boot disk and the pack provided by Ls8 is indispensible in making it simple now.

whats the advantage or disadvantage doing the install this way compared to just using ls8 scripts? assuming i dont care about having osx already installed, etc. PC_EFI8 vs Chameleon?

Chameleon is open source, which means it will probably be easier to find out what it can actually do, whereas there is next to no documentation on PC_EFI8. There is an installer available, so you don't have to use the terminal. In addition, you don't have to unmount the partition to install Chameleon EFI on it. It also seems to be more actively developed.

I only discovered it a few days ago, so I haven't looked extensively at Chameleon EFI. There are probably one or more threads that goes into more detail concerning features etc.

I have used this guide and it worked PERFECTLY! I can't believe I am now using almost entirely vanilla 10.5.4 installation and its performing great so far. here are my benchmark scores, both better than with Kalyway 10.5.2:

Geekbench - 7331

XBench = 223

Thanks again...I am so happy right now...

I have some observations and questions that hopefully someone can answer to clarify osx86 setup for me forever..

1 - I think it would be good if you list out the exact BIOS settings that the DS4 should be set at, if there are particular settings that need to be a certain way. I didn't change anything and my settings work, because I have had to mess with those in the past when trying to use Kalyway, etc.. Let me know if you want to know how I have the BIOS set, but ls8 probably knows better.

If you'll write it up, I'll check with my own settings and put it in the guide.

2 - The 10.5.4 downloadable combo update you referred to would not work for me. It kept giving me the error that my Retail volume was not suitable to be upgraded. I tried rebooting, etc. However, I finally took a chance on using Apple's online software update to go to 10.5.4 and it worked perfectly. That was done before running the post-patch script or installing chameleon. I'm not sure what will happen now that I have Chameleon installed.

I didn't have this problem. However, I will update the guide to reflect this.

3 - I think you should update the post-patch.sh, there should be a check in the beginning of the script to make sure that $1 has been provided. I missed that and fortunately the script didn't do any damage other than display jiberish. You should probably update your guide to make it more clear that there is an argument; by putting the actual command line onto its own line.

Traditionally, a script will have its arguments on the same line, but there should be a check for whether or not the argument have been provided. Also, a script should ideally be able to run from anywhere and not a specific directory. This has the added benefit, that you will be able to just drag and drop the script from finder into the terminal, provide the partition name, and you're golden. I'll make some changes and suggest them to Ls8.

4 - that new EFI boot disc concept is AWESOME. I was going to ask how I can add my own kexts to it as I have seen people talking about that, but it seems to work fine this way to get the install working. Whatever is on that iso works perfectly.

it IS awesome, but it includes a lot of kexts that probably aren't needed. I prefer just using it for installation purposes.

---------------

QUESTIONS

---------------

5 - In the future, will I be able to run the Apple updater completely with no concerns about the PowerManagement kext or the little script we have to edit out Apple's Don't Steal line? I never understood exactly how that works exactly or why a retail install would not have to worry about this. It certainly worked when I ran the updater prior to installing Chameleon, but what about now that I'm using EFI emulation?

No, this is still a concern. You could customize and add the Disabler kext to make sure AppleIntelPowerManagement does not get loaded. I don't know why we have to edit the startupscript, so I'm not sure how to resolve this. However, if any patched kext gets overwritten, you will still have to reapply the old one or patch the new one.

6 - I guess Sleep/Shutdown issues are working perfectly now? Is there any reason at all that I would want to use modbin or any of the other hacked kernels? I guess not. YAY :-)

I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to work. The reboot fix is in AppleACPIPlatform.kext courtesy of CharlesB

7 - I am using GeForce 8600GT 256mb. I used the EFI string for it. Is working now full resolution and seems like smooth graphics, but I do detect a little bit that the fonts and lines seem not as clear in some way compared to previously with NVinject. This must be because there is some generic video driver being used in conjunction with the EFI string. yes? Do you know if I would want to install the Nvidia driver for macBooks that was released a while back? Is that likely to give me better performance or will it screw up the EFI string operation or what? I don't really understand exactly what the EFI strings do or how they work, still learning. Should I even try to mess around with NVinject or NVKush instead of EFI strings to compare?

I don't have this issue. Check your display resolution. Other than that, I have no idea. If your want to use NVinject etc. instead, you probably have to not include the Display portion in EFIStudio and reapply the EFI string. Last time I checked, there was a problem with QC and NVinject but they might have updated it since then.

8 - I notice that the post-patch script did a couple things. It removed the PowerManagement kext and then replaced several Apple kexts with some kind of hacked versions (AppleACPIPlatform, AppleHDA, AppleSMBIOS, IOAHCIFamily, JMicronATA). This post script was ran after the 10.5.4 update. I take it that I should run this script again any time I run an apple update to make sure I have the hacked kexts and the PowerManagement is removed again?

JMicronATA isn't added, just removed. There is a patched version available, but you don't have to install it, if you don't need IDE. Usually, everything except 10.5.x updates work without issue, and the procedure to install these updates should probably still be sussed out on a case-by-case basis.

9 - Do you know where I can find any more information about how to update the AppleSMBIOS with something that will be more correct for my particular memory, etc.? Is it pretty safe to use other SMBIOS from people with this vanilla install? Does it even matter?

Dunno.

10 - There are several utilities floating around for updating the About This Mac information, is it ok to edit that for vanilla or will it screw anything up? I notice that my hack has been identified as an iMac. Is this the SMBIOS or what controls that and can I change it safely?

Dunno.

11 - Time Machine. I intend to use it. As far as you know, no problems? If I need to restore, I take it that I just boot from the retail DVD with the other EFI loader disc and then restore from the image, followed by boot with EFI disc in order to install chameleon, and then should be golden again? I guess it will be similar procedure if I use CCC to create an image now?

Yes, that should work. I haven't used CCC so I don't know how it works. Of course, now would be a good time to test, so you won't realize it doesn't work when you actually need it. :o

12 - Can I remove JMicron related kexts from my Extensions if I don't have any IDE devices? I am all SATA at this point. Is that needed for anything else? Everytime I boot -v I see a lot of JMicron stuff and I wonder if its not neccessary.

It should already be removed. See above.

13 - When or why might we need to use the Realtek1000 driver that was disabled from the post-patch script?

LS8 says there is an issue with Bonjour if it isn't installed. On the other hand, installation apparently results in loss of DHCP lease when waking up from sleep. If you don't need Bonjour, I recommend not installing it.

Thanks again for this wonderful guide. Its the easiest retail vanilla guide I have seen for the DS4, granted, the EFI boot disk and the pack provided by Ls8 is indispensible in making it simple now.

You're very welcome :)

Guide updated...

Traditionally, a script will have its arguments on the same line, but there should be a check for whether or not the argument have been provided. Also, a script should ideally be able to run from anywhere and not a specific directory. This has the added benefit, that you will be able to just drag and drop the script from finder into the terminal, provide the partition name, and you're golden. I'll make some changes and suggest them to Ls8.

I didn't say what I meant very well. I mean that in the guide, use the following text with the example command line syntaxt broken out into a seperate line:

12. kext pack: run the following command in terminal:

./post-patch.sh Retail

I didn't say what I meant very well. I mean that in the guide, use the following text with the example command line syntaxt broken out into a seperate line:

<span class="postcolor">12. </span><span class="postcolor">kext pack: run the following command in terminal:

./post-patch.sh Retail

Yeah, I missed that the first time around. Anyway, I did what you suggested and suggested some modifcations to Ls8 here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=821547

No, this is still a concern. You could customize and add the Disabler kext to make sure AppleIntelPowerManagement does not get loaded. I don't know why we have to edit the startupscript, so I'm not sure how to resolve this. However, if any patched kext gets overwritten, you will still have to reapply the old one or patch the new one.

So let me see if I understand this correctly. The EFI boot disc has a bunch of kexts that are somehow encoded into it in the IMG file by whoever put it together for our motherboard?

And at least one of those kexts is some kind of "Disabler" that prevents the AppleIntelPowerManagement from being loaded during Apple update?

Interesting. Seems like in the future we will have to all basically work together to either test such an EFI boot disk to make sure it will work ok with the updater, or else create a new one each time on a case by case basis....I follow you. So I will not try to upgrade to 10.5.5 blindly in the future.

Yea I would really like to know why we don't have to edit the Don't Steal Line in the script this way, vs everyone else has to do it usually.

I don't have this issue. Check your display resolution. Other than that, I have no idea. If your want to use NVinject etc. instead, you probably have to not include the Display portion in EFIStudio and reapply the EFI string. Last time I checked, there was a problem with QC and NVinject but they might have updated it since then.

Yea, well I would prefer to use EFI strinsgs. The difference I am talking about is subtle. In fact I really would have to run it the old way again to compare to make sure my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, but it did pop out immediately to me as having a less stellar video quality. I can only attribute this to some kind of non-nvidia driver. Rather than NVinject, I was also wondering about this NVidia driver:

http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=23

So let me see if I understand this correctly. The EFI boot disc has a bunch of kexts that are somehow encoded into it in the IMG file by whoever put it together for our motherboard?

And at least one of those kexts is some kind of "Disabler" that prevents the AppleIntelPowerManagement from being loaded during Apple update?

Yup. If you open up the iso and then open INITRD.IMG, the kexts are in the Extra directory. Elastic packaged these into an mkext, so you have to unpack these using mkextunpack:

mkextunpack -d /tmp /Volumes/initrd/Extra/Extensions.mkext
cd /tmp

The disabler kext can be controlled by modifying the Info.plist (I read somewhere)

Interesting. Seems like in the future we will have to all basically work together to either test such an EFI boot disk to make sure it will work ok with the updater, or else create a new one each time on a case by case basis....I follow you. So I will not try to upgrade to 10.5.5 blindly in the future.

Well, it might be possible to have the Chameleon hd bootloader apply kexts in another directory than /System/Library/Extensions before handing over control to OS X (which is what I imagine the CD does), but according to the homepage, there might still be a problem with loading a patched version of a kext instead of the original.

In any case, one ought to be careful 10.5.x updates for now.

Yea I would really like to know why we don't have to edit the Don't Steal Line in the script this way, vs everyone else has to do it usually.

Yea, well I would prefer to use EFI strinsgs. The difference I am talking about is subtle. In fact I really would have to run it the old way again to compare to make sure my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, but it did pop out immediately to me as having a less stellar video quality. I can only attribute this to some kind of non-nvidia driver. Rather than NVinject, I was also wondering about this NVidia driver:

http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=23

Feel free to test it out and report the result ;) With regards to DontSteal..., it is also unnecessary to edit the startupscript if you install the combo update from another OS X installation.

If you'll write it up, I'll check with my own settings and put it in the guide.

Two things. I will provide you with my BIOS settings. You should also run these by ls8 I guess before documenting. Also, on the reboot I just did, my overclocking was flipped off. Everything is running fine once I'm logged in to OSX and I have done extensive overclock burn-in testing to make sure no errors. But when I restarted, it got flipped back to 2.13ghz and basically the BIOS option to set overclocking was "Disabled", while the rest of the settings were still retained. I have to simply Enable that one BIOS item and I'm back in business, but why did it get flipped off is a mystery. Seems like I restarted this installation a number of times yesterday without that happening, but I will keep an eye on it. Perhaps this is a BIOS setting issue also, which is why I'm bringing it up now.

here are my current interesting BIOS settings:

Advanced CMOS

-------------------

Limit CPUID Max to 3 Disabled

No-Execute Memory Protect Enabled

CPU Enhanced Halt Disabled

CPU Thermal Monitor Enabled

CPU EIST FUnction Disabled

Virtualization Technology Enabled

Periphials

------------

SATA AHCI

SATA Port0-3 Native Enabled

USB Controller Enabled

USB2 Controller Enabled

USB Keyboard Enabled

USB Mouse Enabled

USB Legacy Disabled

Azalia Codec Auto

Onboard 1394 Enabled

Onboard LAN Enabled

Onbaoard SATA Enabled

Onboard SATA ctrl mode AHCI

Onboard Serial Disabled

Onboard Parallel Disabled

Power

-------

ACPI Suspend Type S1 <====== Is this my problem?

HPET Support Enabled

HPET Mode 64-bit mode

Two things. I will provide you with my BIOS settings. You should also run these by ls8 I guess before documenting. Also, on the reboot I just did, my overclocking was flipped off. Everything is running fine once I'm logged in to OSX and I have done extensive overclock burn-in testing to make sure no errors. But when I restarted, it got flipped back to 2.13ghz and basically the BIOS option to set overclocking was "Disabled", while the rest of the settings were still retained. I have to simply Enable that one BIOS item and I'm back in business, but why did it get flipped off is a mystery. Seems like I restarted this installation a number of times yesterday without that happening, but I will keep an eye on it. Perhaps this is a BIOS setting issue also, which is why I'm bringing it up now.

Sometimes the BIOS will think that something went wrong during boot-up and revert back to a "safer" configuration by disabling overclocking. This usually happens if you reboot early e.g. during post. This is normal (and pretty sensible) behaviour.

With regards to the BIOS settings, I'll do some comparisons, when I find the time.

How do I get spdif out working? I have spdif going to my nx8800gt so that I can have sound over my hdmi connection. Is there some fix to get that to work?

If it doesn't work to set sound output to digital out in System Preferences it obviously isn't working. Does it work with any other installation method?

If it doesn't work to set sound output to digital out in System Preferences it obviously isn't working. Does it work with any other installation method?

Not that I've tried, any suggestions?

Also, audio does work through the line out with headphones.

Not that I've tried, any suggestions?

Nope. You can always try another way to install, but it's probably not supported.

Also, audio does work through the line out with headphones.

Well, at least that's something :spam:

first try I got 10.5 installed, upgraded to 10.5.4 and when I was installing my EFI / chameleon / etc something happened on that reboot and I got a kernal panic.

second try I redid it all and was able to get it perfectly. dunno why #1 had issues.

also downloaded all updates from software update after installing 10.5

(qucktime, itunes, combo update 10.5.4, java, airport, remote desktop, etc, etc)

and didn't seem to have any issues. first time I just downloaded the combo update - knock on wood.

edit: installed EFI strings for my audio / lan / graphics card using EFI-studio (generated my own EFI string for my 7200GS graphics card so I have dual display with QC/QE working on both screens)

Thanks. I followed your instructions and built a working 10.5.4

Here is my experience.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=822323

Quick guide:

Rule No.1: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext MUST BE REMOVED from /System/Library/Extensions/

Rule No.2: dsmos.kext MUST BE put into /System/Library/Extensions/

If you follow the rules above, at least you should have your Intel PC running Mac OS X 10.5. Just find the right drivers for your hardware.

I just want to post a follow up comment that I successfully backed up and restored a partition image created with SuperDuper of this installation. It was very easy. Created the image with free version of SuperDuper while booted into OSX itself. Then to restore I did the following:

- pre-boot with 132 disc.

- Insert retail DVD and boot

- run Disk Utility

- wipe the main HD and create a single GUID partition

- Restored from the dmg image stored on 2nd HD, that was created with SuperDuper at high compression.

- reboot with 132 disc

- Select main HD (x80) to boot into restored OSX

- Run chameleon installer

- rebooted without any disc in the tray

- Done!

Total time to restore my customized, monolingualized, tweaked and configured, functioning OSX vanilla install this way was a about 10 minutes.

YAY!!

My dmg is under 4GB which means I can burn it on a DVD and be good for future restorations, with one caveate, When booting from the retail DVD I can't seem to figure out how to eject that disc in order to read data from another one. So I still have to figure out a way during a restore process that I would be able to get the dmg data from the DVD disc. For now its on my second drive. I suppose an external USB driver would be a better place to keep stuff like this anyway, but I don't have one.

What I will probably have to do is create a bootable disc using BootCD or something similar, that contains boot up stuff, Disk Utility and my DMG file. Then in the future I can pre-boot with 132, then boot with that disc I will create, and restore from it. It would be even better if we could figure out how to combine 132 stuff together with any kind of boot CD we want to make. Then I could make a single disc restore DVD and probably even script the whole process. But I guess I need to talk to the guy working on 132 and see what he says. maybe it can do it already?

Just want to say that so far I haven't found a single thing not working with this vanilla setup, thanks again for creating this. Firewire, USB, iPod, Nvidia, sound, network, pro audio, its all here and its all working. Benchmark numbers are up compared to Kalyway also. I could not be happier. Anyone with a gigabyte P35-DSx mobo should be following the guide, as far as I'm concerned its the absolute best way to do it, and actually this must be the best hardware to use with osx86 right now too. Unbelievably easy and clean.

Ah ha...that explains why when I followed the instructions the downloaded combo update file did not work for me, it complained that I had the wrong env and wouldn't let me do it (didn't say why). Fortunately i was able to just run Software Update and get the update that way and fortunately it worked. But at least that explains it. Good catch, hopefully the guide will be updated.