I just don't understand the attraction to Ubloatslo

28 posts in this topic

Windohs --> Download the program... start the installer... agree to a software license that give the company rights to everything short of your mortal soul... click through a bunch of confusing options... run your spyware scanner to remove all the adware and spyware the program installed... start the program and hope it doesn't crash or frag you entire OS.

-_- Damn true. I don't understand why most programs want to install the Yahoo toolbar of late, and they do even if you say "no"

Linux CLI --> sudo

Quite clear to me what is easier.

The only issue I can see with that approach is that you must know the (exact?) name of what you want to install.

Some package managers, however, will suggest the nearest match if what you typed doesn't exist.

If SuSE embraced apt-rpm I would recommend it to people, until then I'll have to say Ubuntu.

Apt4rpm for SUSE existed since 7.3. It was never widely adopted, but much loved by the more advanced users.

http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/

I knew quite a bit about it and I helped quite a few people at the time of the now defunct linux.iso.org.

Apt4rpm didn't support repomd very well, thus it was replaced by Smart.

But even Smart has now become redundant, as Zypper is a lot better, especially at solving conflicts which was always a weakness of old package managers. Zypper is also very fast and easy to use.

I really don't know why there is so much controversy surrounding Ubuntu. If you don't like Ubuntu, don't use it. If you do, then use it. Same goes for referring people. If you like it, refer someone to use it. If you don't like it, don't refer someone to use it. Easy, huh.

I personally do not like KDE. Therefore, no matter what distro I download, I download the Gnome variant.

And if your arguement for hating Ubuntu is the users. Well then, that is a you problem. Everything has their fanboy following, from Vista, OS X, and Ubuntu to the Xbox 360, Suzuki Forenza, and Cotton Underwear. Laugh, ignore them, and move on...